PDA

View Full Version : Half Way thru the Pre-Season

madison
10-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Can't help thinking about the upcoming year and where we (the Pacers) seem to be after several preseason games. Some thoughts --
1. We were promised an uptempo game. That's not what I see, especially when JO is on the floor -- and you can assume he'll be on the floor during the regular season.
2. Part of the problem with our running game is poor rebounding. JO is getting his usual and we can assume that AH will get his, too. But, where are guys like DG (he was a good rebounder last year) and Harrison (against the Wolves he had a lot of minutes and when I left with 5 minutes to go, he had NONE!)? Rick will be forced to play JF at Center because we will need the rebounds. Granger will come off the bench. Sorry, fans!
3. I'm concerned about our defense. We get beat off the dribble and then everything else breaks down. Part of this is the fact we haven't played a set rotation so everyone is waiting to see what the other guy is going to do. I also wish we'd play defense with our feet and not our hands. We foul too much because we don't get position. This is a coachable concept. Or at least, it should be.
4. As wierd as this may sound, we move the ball better and take better shots when JO is not on the floor. Why does everyone stand around when he's in the low post? I thought with more athletic players we would see movement off the ball. Cutting is also a teachable skill.
5. So far, it's not been fun to watch. Losing is a factor, of course. But, I'd like to see some tough defense (rebounding by the way is a form of defense), and on the offensive end, I'd be grateful if someone would take the ball to the hole once and awhile.
6. We have too many players and that's part of why we look bad. I realize it's only fair to give the bubble people PT, but let's knock the roster down tomorrow so we can try playing in regular season groupings. The season opener is only two weeks away. After that, it's a brutal schedule, mostly on the road. Not a good time for our players to be getting to know each another.

OK, fellow posters, the firing range is open for business. What are your thoughts at this juncture?

Destined4Greatness
10-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Can't help thinking about the upcoming year and where we (the Pacers) seem to be after several preseason games. Some thoughts --
<I>1. We were promised an uptempo game. That's not what I see, especially when JO is on the floor -- and you can assume he'll be on the floor during the regular season. </i>
2. Part of the problem with our running game is poor rebounding. JO is getting his usual and we can assume that AH will get his, too. But, where are guys like DG (he was a good rebounder last year) and Harrison (against the Wolves he had a lot of minutes and when I left with 5 minutes to go, he had NONE!)? Rick will be forced to play JF at Center because we will need the rebounds. Granger will come off the bench. Sorry, fans!
3. I'm concerned about our defense. We get beat off the dribble and then everything else breaks down. Part of this is the fact we haven't played a set rotation so everyone is waiting to see what the other guy is going to do. I also wish we'd play defense with our feet and not our hands. We foul too much because we don't get position. This is a coachable concept. Or at least, it should be.
4. As wierd as this may sound, we move the ball better and take better shots when JO is not on the floor. Why does everyone stand around when he's in the low post? I thought with more athletic players we would see movement off the ball. Cutting is also a teachable skill.
5. So far, it's not been fun to watch. Losing is a factor, of course. But, I'd like to see some tough defense (rebounding by the way is a form of defense), and on the offensive end, I'd be grateful if someone would take the ball to the hole once and awhile.
6. We have too many players and that's part of why we look bad. I realize it's only fair to give the bubble people PT, but let's knock the roster down tomorrow so we can try playing in regular season groupings. The season opener is only two weeks away. After that, it's a brutal schedule, mostly on the road. Not a good time for our players to be getting to know each another.

OK, fellow posters, the firing range is open for business. What are your thoughts at this juncture?

That can be debated.

Alpolloloco
10-18-2006, 11:54 PM
1. We were promised an uptempo game. That's not what I see, especially when JO is on the floor -- and you can assume he'll be on the floor during the regular season.

It's time to say goodbye to JO, he's again injured and has shown no signs of leadership to me. We need to trade him badly (together with Jackson and Tinsley)!