PDA

View Full Version : NBDL (playing time) vs. NBA (bench)

imawhat
10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
I was listening to the Pacers/T-Wolves game on Monday, and this was brought up. I think Slick mentioned that it would be better to send Shawne Williams to the NBDL to play than it would be to have him sit the Pacers bench and not play. I'm not sure what I think about it yet because the NBDL hasn't been widely used, so I want to see how others feel about it.

Would you be okay with sending Shawne there, or would you rather him stay with the Pacers?

Gyron
10-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Unfortunately, this will never happen because Rick believes the experience they get practicing with the starters every day provides them more "NBA" experience than that of the NBDL.

Now a few years from now, that may change, but they are gonna have to see the NBDL actually turning out some decent players repeatedly before they actually start using it the way it should be used.

FrenchConnection
10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately, this will never happen because Rick believes the experience they get practicing with the starters every day provides them more "NBA" experience than that of the NBDL.

Now a few years from now, that may change, but they are gonna have to see the NBDL actually turning out some decent players repeatedly before they actually start using it the way it should be used.

And that player will be Gerrald Green.

ChicagoJ
10-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Rick might have a point if the teams actually practiced more than once or twice a week during the season.

He should be in the NBDL this season. I've been saying that since shortly after the draft.

Even if he were more "NBA-ready", we're loaded in the frontcourt. Who's minutes are you taking away for him to play? (A: No one.)

I'm wondering, though, if through three preseason games if James White isn't on his way there?

Peck
10-18-2006, 05:10 PM
I am a big fan of the NBDL & I would like to see players sent there for some playing time & one on one training that only the D league can offer.

However I know our team does not use this concept. I understand the entire "Practicing with the team" mode. But IMO there is a world of differance between practicing with the team & playing in real live games.

Like Jay said how hard to you think these guys go at each other in practice from Jan. to April? My guess is not very hard at all.

But until we get a new coach I don't see that happening.

JayRedd
10-18-2006, 05:19 PM
I am a big fan of the NBDL & I would like to see players sent there for some playing time & one on one training that only the D league can offer.

However I know our team does not use this concept. I understand the entire "Practicing with the team" mode. But IMO there is a world of differance between practicing with the team & playing in real live games.

Like Jay said how hard to you think these guys go at each other in practice from Jan. to April? My guess is not very hard at all.

But until we get a new coach I don't see that happening.

I'm more playing Devil's Advocate than actually of the opinion that the NBDL isn't a good resource....

But, if you really think Shawne is going to be a key part of your team's future, don't you want him to build chemistry, respect and wisdom within the framework of the current Pacer lockerroom. I think as fans, we often overlook all the "real life" stuff that goes on within the team structure.

For instance, is it better for Shawne to play against a bunch of guys he's (presumably) better than, or learn the ins and outs of the NBA life and picking up the subtle nuances of the game on a day-to-day basis from both the veteran NBA players we have on this roster and the high-paid assistant coaches we employ? Doesn't hanging out with JO/Al/Danny for the next eight months and getting familiar with them both as players and as people mean something? Could it be that that would help him integrate into this team both on the court and in the lockerroom better next year (or the year after that) than shuffling around on buses between Fayetteville, Tulsa and Albuquerque to play against guys that he can just overmatch physically?

loborick
10-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Why do people assume Shawne is so much better than the players assigned to the NBDL teams? The NBDL had some good players that were called up to the NBA and had good years. Chuck Hayes played for Albuquerque before he was called up.

I attended a couple of NBDL games in Albuquerque last year, and they are very skilled. I think it would be good to send him down for a few games just to get some game experience in. It is a higher level than college, which could help his transition to NBA.

RoboKegboy
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
I'd send half our team down if I could. Or bring Cooper up. :love:

Fool
10-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm a fan of dresses that look like really thin towels.