PDA

View Full Version : OT - Mavs shot at the "Queens"

kerosene
04-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Mavericks Reality TV
Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Not even in this kinder, gentler, post-wardrobe malfunction society could the Mavericks' pregame cartoon skit that poked fun at the Kings be considered offensive. The FCC wouldn't fine the Mavs, and neither should the NBA.

The short skit, shown on the American Airlines Center video screen before Saturday's Game 3 but not Monday's Game 4, was controversial enough to raise eyebrows and generate groans.

Narrated by Mavs radio play-by-play voice Mark Followill, the animated bit depicted several Sacramento "Queens" players wearing dresses, Mike Bibby doubling as "Mini Me" actor Verne Troyer, Chris Webber being showered with money from University of Michigan boosters and Doug Christie walking on all fours and being led on a short leash by a female.

The Utah Jazz was fined $15,000 for a Karl Malone skit in February that NBA VP Stu Jackson said " ... ridiculed opposing players." Jackson, said to be investigating the AAC bit, was at Game 3 and might have seen it live.

But if the Kings aren't offended, why should anybody else be?

"It was pretty good, pretty creative," said Christie, who incessantly flashes in-game hand signals to wife Jackie. "It's comedy, that's my attitude. It's not that serious."

Kings co-owner Joe Maloof went a step further, promising no retaliation when the series shifts to Arco Arena for Thursday night's Game 5.

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2004/april/27-mavericks_reality_tv.html

efx
04-27-2004, 11:15 PM
That's just tasteless. I know it's all entertainment in the end but this crosses the line for me.

Shade
04-27-2004, 11:17 PM
I'm so glad to be a Pacers fan. We have one of the few remaining classy organizations in the league.

kerosene
04-27-2004, 11:34 PM
The Mavs also played the Fat Albert theme when Shaq went to the free throw line once. I don't understand that. What? You wanna make that guy mad?

efx
04-27-2004, 11:40 PM
They're just upset that no matter how much money Cuban throws into the team, they'll never win ****.

Hicks
04-28-2004, 12:41 AM
They're just upset that no matter how much money Cuban throws into the team, they'll never win ****.

Imagine if Mark had thrown all that $$$ at assembling a DEFENSIVE team. :o

TheSauceMaster
04-28-2004, 12:47 AM
It just shows Cuban has no class and has to stoop to these lowball tactics , really no surprise to me though.

efx
04-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Knowing Cuban, he'll be sure to get some more scorers for the Mavs in the offseason :)

Hicks
04-28-2004, 12:54 AM
Knowing Cuban, he'll be sure to get some more scorers for the Mavs in the offseason :)

Bring IN more offensive PLAYERS? BRILLIANT! (Brilliant!) [Guiness] :cheers:

Shade
04-28-2004, 12:55 AM

Bring IN more offensive PLAYERS? BRILLIANT! (Brilliant!) [Guiness] :cheers:

:laugh: