PDA

View Full Version : NBA Radio on Sirius....(Added Boyle and Harrington Interviews)

MagicRat
10-17-2006, 09:57 AM
It's now no longer just the simulcast of NBAtv. They kicked off their season yesterday, bringing back Full Court Press (moving it from 123) and adding a couple of new shows.

Full Court Press has been on for a couple of seasons and is good listening.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=Channel&cid=1132697117021&s=prog

Tip-Off - Debuts Monday, October 16th!
Weekdays 6 am ET
Rebroadcast 9 am & 9 pm ET
Rich Ackerman and Frank Isola recap the night in the NBA, including fantasy implications and post-game reactions. Rich and Frank explore the day's top headlines and look ahead to the biggest match-ups of the evening.
Got game? Bring it! Call 866-NBA-0003.

Full Court Press - Returns Monday, October 16th!
Weekdays Noon - 3 pm ET
Rebroadcast Weekdays 6 pm ET
NBA great Kenny Smith and veteran broadcaster Ian Eagle break down the entire NBA, bringing the best interviews, top analysis and previews of upcoming games.

In the Paint - Debuts Monday, October 16th!
Weekdays 3 pm ET
In The Paint keeps you in the know for all-things NBA. Rick Kamla brings you exclusive interviews with players, writers, league executives and broadcasters, plus and in-depth look at the upcoming night's games.
Got game? Bring it! Call 866-NBA-0003.

sweabs
10-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh my Lord........

Man, I LOVE Sirius. Thanks for posting this info. I had no clue.

Whtwudusay
10-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Are they going to wait until the regular season to start carrying the radio play-by-play feeds?

Mr. Pink
10-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Add another reason why Satellite is 100 times better than old radio.

Kegboy
10-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah, well, XM has Oprah and Friends.

sweabs
10-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Do you have XM?

:console:

Howard loves to rip into the fact that Oprah hardly even appears on that radio show. Sirius >>>>>>>>>>>>> XM. :D

vapacersfan
10-17-2006, 01:14 PM

To think, I used to debate which one I would keep, XM or Sirius.

Sirius >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>XM by a mile.

JBones19
10-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Any of you guys going to get the Stilletto? That thing looks awesome, a little pricey though.

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=1745656&catParentID=7874&scId=7874&oldParentID=7870

-J

Kegboy
10-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey, diss Oprah at your own peril. You know she could squash us all with a snap of her fingers.

And BTW, it's a whole channel, not just one show, so :tongue:. Even has it's own commercial jingle, that they play on my channels over, and over, and over again. :notlistening:

sweabs
10-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Any of you guys going to get the Stilletto? That thing looks awesome, a little pricey though.

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=1745656&catParentID=7874&scId=7874&oldParentID=7870

-J
Yes, I would love to get one.

Ever since I purchased my Sirius, my ipod has been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. If I get this Stilletto I will have absolutely no need for the ipod.

Man, I want one of those so badly. I could listen to the Pacers game during lectures :drool:

sweabs
10-17-2006, 01:25 PM
And BTW, it's a whole channel, not just one show, so :tongue:.
I know - and that's why Howard loves to make fun of it. She's hardly ever on this channel of hers (isn't that true?). So what kind of stuff does she end up having on the air, Mr. Kegboy?

I guess it all comes down to decisions.

Listen to every NBA game and non-stop NBA talk, or listen to Oprah's advice on how to lose 5 lbs before that big Christmas party!

:devil:

Since86
10-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Hey, diss Oprah at your own peril. You know she could squash us all with a snap of her fingers.

And BTW, it's a whole channel, not just one show, so :tongue:. Even has it's own commercial jingle, that they play on my channels over, and over, and over again. :notlistening:

Howard has TWO whole channels, so :tongue:.

Howard 100 is even good when Howard isn't in the studio. I really like the Friday shows, and getting to listen to all the other tapes they got to keep.

I REALLY need to get a home docking station though.:blush:

Kegboy
10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
All I remember from the commercials is Gail King (who I think is supposed to be Oprah's best friend) is the headliner of the channel. They made a big deal last week that Oprah was actually going to be on, so yeah, it's a joke.

Did I mention we have Ellen Degeneres, too? :yay2: :suicide4:

Mr. Pink
10-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Howard has TWO whole channels, so :tongue:.

Howard 100 is even good when Howard isn't in the studio. I really like the Friday shows, and getting to listen to all the other tapes they got to keep.

I REALLY need to get a home docking station though.:blush:

I bought the sportser boombox and it's the only thing I listen to it on. I have it in my apartment on Campus, and don't drive much, so it was very essential for me to get it. HOWARD STERN my hero every morning.

sweabs
10-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I bought the sportser boombox and it's the only thing I listen to it on. I have it in my apartment on Campus, and don't drive much, so it was very essential for me to get it. HOWARD STERN my hero every morning.
I did the same thing - bought the sportster boombox because I didn't want to trasnport my entire stereo system from home to my new place.

I'm also now living in an apartment - how have you found the reception? A little harder because of all the concrete? I have my receiver outside on the balcony, and it's good for about 22 hours a day.

Since86
10-17-2006, 11:59 PM
I have the s50, so it's a little easier to transport it. But my room is down in the basement. I don't know how I'd get enough cord to get it down there.

Mr. Pink
10-18-2006, 12:19 AM
I did the same thing - bought the sportster boombox because I didn't want to trasnport my entire stereo system from home to my new place.

I'm also now living in an apartment - how have you found the reception? A little harder because of all the concrete? I have my receiver outside on the balcony, and it's good for about 22 hours a day.

That antenna wire is pretty long, and I'm on the top floor. So I just threw it up on the roof. I have perfect reception all the time.

grace
10-18-2006, 12:13 PM
All I remember from the commercials is Gail King (who I think is supposed to be Oprah's best friend) is the headliner of the channel. They made a big deal last week that Oprah was actually going to be on, so yeah, it's a joke.

If I ever find out you actually listen to that channel I'm having you sent away to a place for the criminally stupid.

Did I mention we have Ellen Degeneres, too? :yay2: :suicide4:

At least she's funny.

MagicRat
10-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Montieth is currently on "In The Paint"...........

gilpdawg
10-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Do you have XM?

:console:

Howard loves to rip into the fact that Oprah hardly even appears on that radio show. Sirius >>>>>>>>>>>>> XM. :D
Off topic, but:

XM Music >>>>>>>>>>Sirius Music

Compare them sometime. If Sirius didn't play the same songs over and over, they'd be the hands down winner. XM kills them in music though.

Kegboy
10-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Off topic, but:

Compare them sometime. If Sirius didn't play the same songs over and over, they'd be the hands down winner. XM kills them in music though.

Thank you. I've always worried that if I switched, there'd be nothing that came close to Lucy and Ethel, or Russ Davis' Beyond Jazz.

sweabs
10-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Off topic, but:

I have compared them. My friend has XM.

First of all, let's be honest - there are tons of different stations out there. There's no way you can compare all of XMs' music stations to all of Sirius' music stations (unless you have legitimately gone through each channel and given it a fair chance...maybe you have). But I think it totally depends upon what you listen to.

As far as music goes, I'm usually stuck on the jazz stations for the most part. And yes, I have had the chance to compare. And let me say that Sirius is easily better in my opinion. There is just such a wide range of jazz offered on Sirius, and they do not limit themselves in any such way. XM seemed to play the stuff you'd expect them to, but with Sirius you are constantly hearing new things from a WIDE range of tastes.

As far as rock, country, hip hop, electronica, or whatever else is out there - I can't fairly say because I didn't have a chance to really compare.

The other thing I really like about Sirius is the fact that they have actual DJ's doing their shows. At least this way I know that my music is being mixed up and not just some robot behind the scenes set on "shuffle" mode. Add to the fact that they have legendary musicians like Les Davis come into studio, and gives the listener a real feeling for each song and the history behind it, etc. - it's amazing.

Just my opinion.

vapacersfan
10-19-2006, 12:24 AM
I have had both XM and Sirius, and from a rap/hip-hop standpoint Sirius blows XM away.

MagicRat
10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
A few things:

1. Sirius has Martha Stewart. Don't need Oprah. :woohoo:
2. I have the Sportster Replay, but never got the boombox. I use a Tivoli Pal. The FM transmitter is strong enough inn the Sportster that I can leave the Sportster docked on my nightstand and pick it up anywhere in the house on the Pal.
3. I move around the dial in enough different genres that I haven't found repetition in the music channels to be a problem. I generally think the music programming is pretty strong.

As I mentioned earlier, Montieth was on "In the Paint." I thought I'd try to record it on a replay, but it's the one show they only air once. Not sure why they replay Tip-Off twice, but don't replay In the Paint. Anyway, I tried to take a few notes:

Montieth says fans are frustrated with JO. There are questions whether he will play hurt or step up in the playoffs. People expect more due to his high salary.

He thinks their best lineup will be Foster starting and Granger coming off of the bench. Foster doesn't need ball; Al wants to play 3, not 4.

Rick Kamla (the host) says Jamaal is the key to the season and the Pacers can win 50 games if he stays healthy. Montieth agrees. Says he makes it all go, they run more, get easier shots. Calls him their most important player. Says Sarunas probably ended last season a little underrated and OG is OK, but you don't want to start them. Said Jamaal came in healthy, has good off-season work ethic, looks great and according to the coaching staff has played well on both ends in practice. Says his injuries have been legit, but there have been whispers that he doesn't rehab well. Kamla says he's feeling a healthy season for JT. Law of averages.

Talked a little about Al. He's excited to be back, likes the city, family stayed in Indy etc., etc. Pretty standard stuff.

Then went on to talk a little about the Eastern conference. Thinks it'll be hard for Miami to repeat. Rambled on for a little while and basically got cut off before he got to any sort of predictions, though.......

MagicRat
10-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Mike Wells was on Tip-Off this morning. He should be on the replay sometime during the 10 o'clock (eastern) hour.............

MagicRat
10-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Mike Wells was on Tip-Off this morning. He should be on the replay sometime during the 10 o'clock (eastern) hour.............

http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/AUDIO069.MP3 (http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/AUDIO069.MP3)

Basically he rips them for 15 minutes and then says they'll win "between 48-49 games"......

grace
10-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Basically he rips them for 15 minutes and then says they'll win "between 48-49 games"......

[WARNING: I'm in one of those moods]

Between 48-49 games? Since when do they give out half games? Is the NBA adopting NHL rules to go alone with the new ball?

Unclebuck
10-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Wow, is JO really that bad.

Since86
10-24-2006, 04:16 PM
For those of us that can't listen (at work), can you paraphrase what he said to make that kind of reaction?

sweabs
10-24-2006, 04:27 PM
MagicRat, I also have the Sportster Replay so it's great for rewinding back and listening to stuff over again. But how are you recording it onto your computer?

Unclebuck
10-24-2006, 05:19 PM
For those of us that can't listen (at work), can you paraphrase what he said to make that kind of reaction?

They were saying the Pacers have many good players but they lack that one star player. There was also some talk about trading JO, if the team gets off to a slow start

MagicRat
10-24-2006, 05:31 PM
MagicRat, I also have the Sportster Replay so it's great for rewinding back and listening to stuff over again. But how are you recording it onto your computer?

I record to my iRiver iHP120 (mp3 player) via the line out on the back of the Sportster home dock........

Will Galen
10-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't know who the announcer was but he said he didn't think the Pacers had improved and would win from 41 to 43 games.

People just don't remember that the main difference from last years team, that was hailed as a contender, and this years team is Al Harrington for Ron Artest. That is if you start Foster at center, which I think is what will happen.

Last years season opening starters.
5 Foster
4 O'Neal
3 Artest
2 Jackson
1 Tinsley

This years starters could be.
5 Foster
4 O'Neal
3 Harrington
2 Jackson
1 Tinsley

This years bench is deeper and more athletic than last years. So the season basically boils down to how healthy Tinsley and O'Neal are. If they are healthy, by playoff time when everyone has learned the new system I see them as contenders again. I see them winning 54 games and surprising people that shouldn't be surprised.

sweabs
10-24-2006, 05:50 PM
I record to my iRiver iHP120 (mp3 player) via the line out on the back of the Sportster home dock........
I have an ipod. I am also using the Sportster boombox and there is a place for "Aux In". Is that where I'd go about doing it? Is there a tutorial for this type of thing?

MagicRat
10-24-2006, 06:09 PM
I have an ipod. I am also using the Sportster boombox and there is a place for "Aux In". Is that where I'd go about doing it? Is there a tutorial for this type of thing?

I don't have an iPod or the boombox, so I'm not sure I can help too much.

I would guess the Aux-In on the boombox would be to connect your ipod to play it through the boombox.

I'm not sure what sort of inputs/outputs are on the boombox and ipod. You need something coming out of the Sirius and into the ipod........

sweabs
10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Today, on Full Court Press, they were talking for a while about players they want leaving their current situation.

Kenny said he wanted Jermaine O'Neal to leave Indiana. He said he wasn't a franchise player, and can't be that primary guy. He's somewhere below that - and would do better somewhere else. It's time to move on.

sweabs
10-26-2006, 01:48 PM
I don't know who else has been listening to Full Court Press today, but I've been sitting here laughing my *** off for the last hour.

I can't believe they're actually calling the tourism lady from Wyoming.

MagicRat
10-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't know who else has been listening to Full Court Press today, but I've been sitting here laughing my *** off for the last hour.

I can't believe they're actually calling the tourism lady from Wyoming.

I told you it was a good listen. I haven't been listening today, but Ian Eagle cracks me up pretty consistently.

I've got an hour and a half in the buffer. Guess I'd better switch it on..........

Bball
10-26-2006, 02:13 PM
People just don't remember that the main difference from last years team, that was hailed as a contender, and this years team is Al Harrington for Ron Artest. That is if you start Foster at center, which I think is what will happen.

Maybe people were wrong to begin with about last year's team? It sure appears that way in the end. And didn't Reggie mention problems and specifically say it wasn't Artest he was talking about?

-Bball

NaptownBound
10-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Music... XM>>>> Sirius
Sports... Sirius>>>> XM
Products... XM>>>> Sirius

then again, I work for XM, so I may be a lil' biased.
just a tad bit.

Sirius markets to a different audience than we market do.
Sirius is looking for the Howard crowd, young 21-45 year old white males who are into sports...

We market to the baby boomer crowd and those who are into the music.
The overall depth of our music channels is so much better than Sirius.

at one point, we were far and away better... but the gap is closing.

however, sirius' financial situation is much worse than ours thanks to their deals with Howard and the NFL.

MagicRat
10-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Mark Jackson was on Tip-Off yesterday. Thought some of you might like to hear it......

http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/markjacksontipoff102706.MP3

Kegboy
10-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Maybe people were wrong to begin with about last year's team? It sure appears that way in the end. And didn't Reggie mention problems and specifically say it wasn't Artest he was talking about?

-Bball

Yes, in retrospect we now know it was all Austin and AJ. :loser2: :loser2:

Tom White
10-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Music... XM>>>> Sirius
Sports... Sirius>>>> XM
Products... XM>>>> Sirius

then again, I work for XM, so I may be a lil' biased.
just a tad bit.

Sirius markets to a different audience than we market do.
Sirius is looking for the Howard crowd, young 21-45 year old white males who are into sports...

We market to the baby boomer crowd and those who are into the music.
The overall depth of our music channels is so much better than Sirius.

at one point, we were far and away better... but the gap is closing.

however, sirius' financial situation is much worse than ours thanks to their deals with Howard and the NFL.

I've got to tell you this. I used to have XM, but switched to Sirius. Here is why. I'm a big fan of the 60's music. On XM, Terry "Motormouth" Young just won't shut the heck up! Guess that is where he got his nickname, huh? He (and XM) just doesn't get the idea that it is about the music, not about him. I'd rather have commercials than listen to that guy yap, yap, yap!

Anthem
10-28-2006, 05:19 PM
http://forums.applenova.com/images/ammo/threadnecro.jpg

:D Just saw this and had to use it.

MagicRat
10-28-2006, 07:37 PM
Sorry.....:sad:

MagicRat
11-03-2006, 10:08 AM
I don't want Anthem to mock me again, but I'm resurrecting this thread anyway. :tongue:

Mark Boyle was on Tip-Off this morning at around 8:30.
The replay has just started, so you can catch him at around 11:30 eastern.

I only caught the very end.

Mark, please announce these appearances in advance in the future!

At least you showed up, though. Baby Al stood up Full Court Press yesterday. (Ian: Kenny, just shorten your commments. We still have 30 seconds. Al Harrington may be calling in.........25 seconds.........Al?........Al?)

MagicRat
11-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Mark Boyle's appearance on Tip-Off this morning...........
http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/boyletipoff110306.MP3

Al didn't make it to Full Court Press yesterday, but he called in today...........
http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/harringtonfcp110306.MP3

MagicRat
11-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Due to the underwhelming response, this thread will now be allowed to die........:rip:

able
11-04-2006, 05:16 PM
hmm the number of downloads says difrerently :D

Kegboy
11-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Due to the underwhelming response, this thread will now be allowed to die........:rip:

Speaking of underwhelming response, I better go bump the Pacemate thread.

sweabs
11-16-2006, 03:34 PM
HAH - sorry for bumping the thread, MagicRat.

But Ian was really wanting people to e-mail the program for once (Full Court Press), so I decided to go with it. They were talking about publicly funding a new arena for Sacramento, and I have been doing some research as of late on public funding so I decided to chime in with a "devils advocate" response.

Anyway, they actually read my email - did anyone else hear?

Mitch dissed me though saying that based on my e-mail he doesn't think that there will be any NBA team here in Niagara Falls for a while. But obviously I was just trying to put an alternate point of view out there. I'm gonna call in there sometime - now they don't think I'm a fan. I'm gonna get my own theme song...just watch.