PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the draft & scoring

Jose Slaughter
10-17-2006, 12:20 AM
Looks like we're going to do the draft here on PD.

Not all the votes are in but the last time I checked it was 8-0 in favor of having the draft here with a 24 hour draft clock.

This will be the first time I have been a part of this type of draft so I'm a little out of my element. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em.

I posted an NBA player list in another thread. I assume its complete since I copied it from NBA.com. I'll update the list prior to the draft starting.

As far as the selection order goes I'd like to set it up similar to what we've done on Sports.ws in the past.

The odd numbered rounds are random & the even numbered rounds that follow them are in reverse order.

An example of that would be...... if you have the 1st pick in the draft, then you pick last in the 2nd round. If you have the last pick of the 1st round, you also have the 1st pick in the 2nd.

Round 1 is random, round 2 is the reverse of round 1

Round 3 is random, round 4 is the reverse of round 3

etc etc

As far as the draft clock goes........... You'll have 24 hours from the time the person ahead of you post his selection to make your choice.

Nobody will come close to taking that long to make a pick, so don't panic.

As for the scoring in the league, we'll be using the scoring that we've always used on Sports.ws, However its my understanding that the NBA.com site only counts the points the "starters" score.

So, how many "starters" should we have?

Currently I have it set at 3 guards, 3 forwards & 2 centers.

I've thought about changing it to 4, 4 & 2. Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other on this?

Los Angeles
10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't know, but a 4 4 and 2 situation sure sounds like we would need to choose our top 10 very wisely. Seeing that this is a 24 team league, and the benches will be quite thin already compared to other fantasy formats, I'd leave it at 3 3 & 2.

I have a question - is the NBA.com scoring still based on minutes played?

Jose Slaughter
10-17-2006, 12:51 PM
I don't know, but a 4 4 and 2 situation sure sounds like we would need to choose our top 10 very wisely. Seeing that this is a 24 team league, and the benches will be quite thin already compared to other fantasy formats, I'd leave it at 3 3 & 2.

I have a question - is the NBA.com scoring still based on minutes played?

Thanks for mentioning this. I was going to post this tonight.

The scoting is based on total points scored. It has nothing to do with points per minute.

Kinda makes all my research...... meaningless.

Oh well, should be fun

Hicks
10-17-2006, 08:20 PM
I'd keep it at 3 3 2. We have a very large league.

Raskolnikov
10-18-2006, 01:49 AM
The scoting is based on total points scored. It has nothing to do with points per minute.

Kinda makes all my research...... meaningless.

Oh well, should be fun
:confused:

Then how exactly is the scoring done when it's not based on fantasy points per minute?

How do they transform NBA minutes to fantasy minutes?

Or don't they work with minutes to begin with?

(I don't quite get it. Can someone please explain before the draft starts?)

Jose Slaughter
10-18-2006, 02:58 AM
Its my understanding that it is based on total points scored. This is taken from the site.................

Q. What are head-to-head leagues?
A. In head-to-head leagues, standings are determined by intra-league match-ups. Two league members face off for each week of the season. After a predetermined amount of time prior to the end of the regular season, the fantasy playoffs will begin. At that point, the number of teams advancing to the playoffs will be determined by your league settings. The winner of the fantasy playoffs will be the league's overall champion. There are three variations of Head-to-Head action: Most Points is a Win - Points-based version of Head-to-Head. Two teams face off during the week and the team with the most fantasy points (sum of each league categorical stat multiplied by the respective categorical weight) during that week gets a win; the team with the least points gets a loss. Most Categories is a Win - Rotisserie version of Head-to-Head that requires a more well-rounded team to be successful. In a standard eight category league, the team that wins the most categories in a given one-week match-up gets the win for the week; the team that gets the least categories in that match-up earns a loss. Each Category is a Win - Similar to "Most Categories is a Win" above except that a win is earned for each category over a given week. For example, take a match-up in which Team A out-performed Team B in all eight standard categories during a given week. For "Most Categories is a Win" scoring, Team A would earn one win, Team B one loss for that week. If the scoring system was instead Head-to-Head "Each Category is a Win", Team A would earn eight wins for the week, and Team B would earn eight would earn zero wins and eight losses. The goal of "Most Categories" is to simply win - regardless of how close the match-up. "Each Category" rewards the team that dominates the competition.

We're playing, the most points is a win.

On the stat file that I sent you the number at the far right, the FPPM number, is meaningless in this format.

The number directly to the left of it, the FPPG number will be more helpful in making selections.

Keep in mind that this is a new format for our league so I doubt any one player has a big advantage over another.

Raskolnikov
10-18-2006, 06:07 AM
Thanks, James.

Your scoring system makes a lot more sense to me than nba.com's. Not take into account the number of minutes played doesn't seem entirely fair....but anyhow, it's all clear now.

Another question: am I correct that it is best to pick as many players from (probable) playoffs teams as possible? Since players who are not in the playoffs won't score during the playoffs...

Jose Slaughter
10-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks, James.

Your scoring system makes a lot more sense to me than nba.com's. Not take into account the number of minutes played doesn't seem entirely fair....but anyhow, it's all clear now.

Another question: am I correct that it is best to pick as many players from (probable) playoffs teams as possible? Since players who are not in the playoffs won't score during the playoffs...

I think we have something like a 54 game regular season with as many as 28 games set aside as our "playoff" games. That total equals 82, which matches the NBA regular season.

Our playoffs will start sometime during March & conclude with the last game of the regular NBA season.

So no, will not need to draft only NBA playoff players.

Raskolnikov
10-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Ah, ok. :)

No further questions, your Honor. :cool:

Los Angeles
10-18-2006, 05:57 PM
I think we have something like a 54 game regular season with as many as 28 games set aside as our "playoff" games. That total equals 82, which matches the NBA regular season.

Our playoffs will start sometime during March & conclude with the last game of the regular NBA season.

So no, will not need to draft only NBA playoff players.

Wait - I don't understand - I thought that all the play during a calendar week was totalled up to constitute a single head-to-head "game". Could you clarify the timing here?

Los Angeles
10-18-2006, 06:20 PM
What I mean is - I thought there are only going to be 20 or so "games" in the Fantasy season, and then the "Playoffs" are going to be one-and-done. Is that correct?

Frank Slade
10-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Ok so where is the site to log in for setting up our team :confused:

Mourning
10-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Ok so where is the site to log in for setting up our team :confused:

I got a mail a few days ago from NBA.com. Press the link and it will direct you to the proper page. IF you have to use a password, after "claiming" your position then type "pacers".

Goodluck!

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Frank Slade
10-18-2006, 07:21 PM
I got a mail a few days ago from NBA.com. Press the link and it will direct you to the proper page. IF you have to use a password, after "claiming" your position then type "pacers".

Goodluck!

Regards,

:cool: Ah sure enough.. I missed it somehow, thanks

Mourning
10-18-2006, 07:28 PM
:cool: Ah sure enough.. I missed it somehow, thanks

Anytime ;).

Regards,

Jose Slaughter
10-19-2006, 04:32 AM
LA

Our schedule is exactly like you described. Our regular season runs 20 weeks, we face one opponent per week, ending on March 18th.

Then we have 4 playoff rounds where we also face one opponent per week.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Los Angeles
10-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks for clarifying - I guess this makes a lot of decisions easier. For instance, If one of your backups is playing 5 games in 7 days, you might want them to replace one of your starters who only has 2 games that week. It's not about minutes, it's about total points.

Do we know when the week officially begins, and when our linups have to be set for the week? or can we change the linups from day to day?

Sorry if this is in the rules and I missed it.

Jose Slaughter
10-19-2006, 03:28 PM
The schedule runs Monday thru Sunday but I think you can change your starters thru the week.

If nobody has coirrected me I'll double check on that tonight.

Los Angeles
10-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Changing starters through the week doesn't make sense - then you can flip-flop starters every day - Say Arenas plays M T & F, and you've got someone else that plays W Th and Sa. You besically get double points by flipping the linup over and over. I have to read more about this.

DisplacedKnick
10-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Changing starters through the week doesn't make sense - then you can flip-flop starters every day - Say Arenas plays M T & F, and you've got someone else that plays W Th and Sa. You besically get double points by flipping the linup over and over. I have to read more about this.

Shouldn't work that way. In most of these types of leagues, scores will be counted for a given player's first 3 games during a week. If he plays a 4th that gets tossed aside. I assume this league does the same and you can only count so many games for each position.

In fact - and I don't know this but I suspect it - if, say, you decided to start Arenas instead of Jason Kidd and Kidd had only played two games that week while Arenas was about to play his 4th, you'd get no points for that position.

Los Angeles
10-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Well, I've looked and looked for a detailed list of rules for points-based head-to-head play at NBA.com.

If anyone knows where it is, could you post a link?

Much abliged.

Raskolnikov
10-30-2006, 03:30 AM
It appears that we can change our teams day-to-day.

The question remains: does the scoring only count 3 games per position or does it count every game?

In the second case one would of course just start the players that play that day...testing the depth of your team.

In the first case the top players will be most important. The bench won't really make a difference, unless there are injuries. Doesn't seem fair that a 4th game won't be counted.

Los Angeles
10-30-2006, 04:13 AM
I have yet to find an explanation of how the scoring is actually calculated or the rules surrounding linup changes.

:whoknows:

Raskolnikov
10-30-2006, 06:08 AM
I sent an email to nba.com's fantasy service to find out.

Raskolnikov
10-30-2006, 07:11 AM
The answer:

It counts all games played that day for all players in a team's starting lineup

Jose Slaughter
10-30-2006, 08:53 AM
The way I think it works is this.

Each day you can re-set your lineup.

It would be better to make sure as many of your 8 "starting" players actually play that night. The system will lock in your lineup 5 minutes before the tip off of the first game, then total the points for your starters & your bench for that days games.

The following day you can change your lineup again, so as many of your players that play that night can be in your starting linup. The system will once again lock your new lineup 5 minutes before the tip off of that nights games, then once again total the scores for your starters & bench players for that days games.

Same for each day of the week.

Our games start on a Monday & end on a Sunday.

And if I'm reading this right, a player can only play a maximum of 3 games per week. They might not count a 4th game so if you have a guy playing a 4th game that week you might want to move him to the bench.

Since this is the first year here for all of us we're kindda learning as we go.

I hope this is correct, its how I understood the rules anyway.

Raskolnikov
10-30-2006, 02:11 PM
The way I think it works is this.

Each day you can re-set your lineup.

It would be better to make sure as many of your 8 "starting" players actually play that night. The system will lock in your lineup 5 minutes before the tip off of the first game, then total the points for your starters & your bench for that days games.

The following day you can change your lineup again, so as many of your players that play that night can be in your starting linup. The system will once again lock your new lineup 5 minutes before the tip off of that nights games, then once again total the scores for your starters & bench players for that days games.

Same for each day of the week.

Our games start on a Monday & end on a Sunday.
Yep, that's how I understood the above answer to my email question.

And if I'm reading this right, a player can only play a maximum of 3 games per week. They might not count a 4th game so if you have a guy playing a 4th game that week you might want to move him to the bench.
I'd think that if this would be the case, they would've mentioned it in their answer. (Or at least should've)

Where did you read that?

Los Angeles
10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
I must be dense, because I don't read it the way you guys do. When I read this, I don't see it as matching a daily linup change format:

Warning: Any changes made to your lineup for any week of the season will override all changes made to future lineups. If, for example, you changed your lineup for week #20 and then change your lineup for week #15, your lineup for week #15 will be applied to all future lineups.

Also, as I read the dates of our scheduled "games" it appears that we are on a Tuesday through Monday schedule.

Mourning
10-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Other question: the waiver wire list.

I get how you can claim a player, but the ranking of teams seems odd. Several teams which had high first-round draft picks are also high on the waiver wire list. How is that possible?

Regards,

Los Angeles
10-30-2006, 02:41 PM

I get how you can claim a player, but the ranking of teams seems odd. Several teams which had high first-round draft picks are also high on the waiver wire list. How is that possible?

Regards,

I'm sure that will sort out after the first week. most waiver wires are determined by W/L record and/or total FPPG.

JayRedd
10-30-2006, 02:44 PM

Regards,

I'm not positive on this Mourning, but I believe the orriginal waiver priority list was just generated randomly. If anyone knows better, please correct me, but the current numbers don't seem to reflect anything but randomeness.

Regardless, going forward, the waiver priority will be set by "inverse standings" that get reset each week. (i.e., last place is 1, first place is 24). I'm guessing those with equal record will be ranked by "points for"

Below are the current waiver settings

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%"><TBODY><TR class=boxTitleBG><TD class=boxTitleL colSpan=2>Waivers Configuration</TD></TR><FORM action=trans.asp?sec=2 method=post><TR><TD class=instruction_left>Type:</TD><TD align=right>Waivers determined by Inverse Standings</TD></TR><TR><TD class=instruction_left>Deadline:</TD><TD align=right>None</TD></TR><TR><TD class=instruction_left>Waived players become free agents after:</TD><TD align=right>1 days</TD></TR><TR><TD class=instruction_left>Inverse Standings will be reset:</TD><TD align=right>Weekly</TD></TR></FORM></TBODY></TABLE>

Raskolnikov
10-30-2006, 02:51 PM
I must be dense, because I don't read it the way you guys do. When I read this, I don't see it as matching a daily linup change format:
Has nothing to do with the scoring really. It just states that if you have, for some strange reason, already set your lineup for, say, November 28th, and then set your lineup for tomorrow, October 31th, the lineup of Nov 28 will be changed as well to the one of Oct 31. Just try it once.

I'm pretty convinced the scoring is as Jose says above, without the 3 games limit. You can change your line up every day, and every player that starts can score points.

Also, as I read the dates of our scheduled "games" it appears that we are on a Tuesday through Monday schedule.
Only this week due to the start of the season being Tuesday. From then on we play from Monday till Sunday.

Mourning
10-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Ok. But, say you are going up in the overal league standings and people in front of you in the waiver wire use it ... then I assumed those team owners also get moved down, so if your team is doing well, but never uses the waiver wire it will get on top (atleast theoretically) once, right?

Thanks for clearing this up btw guys ;).

Regards,

JayRedd
10-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Ok. But, say you are going up in the overal league standings and people in front of you in the waiver wire use it ... then I assumed those team owners also get moved down, so if your team is doing well, but never uses the waiver wire it will get on top (atleast theoretically) once, right?

Thanks for clearing this up btw guys ;).

Regards,

Again, I'm not sure, but I think no. The settings say "reset weekly," and I don't think you can have both a weekly reset and a rotating priority based on usage.

I've never been in a league that doesn't "rotate on usage" but I know people who have and they often complain because they are on top and never get a chance at a good player on waivers because there priority is always too low. I'm guessing this league works like that.

Raskolnikov
10-30-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't know, Jay. I was first on the list, but then I claimed Jake Tsakalidis off waivers as my 12th pick, and now I'm not in the top 14 anymore.

DisplacedKnick
10-30-2006, 05:24 PM
The answer:

It counts all games played that day for all players in a team's starting lineup

Congrats on getting an answer - I sent a message off over a week ago about that and they never responded.

I have received answers on other questions though.

Raskolnikov
10-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Congrats on getting an answer - I sent a message off over a week ago about that and they never responded.

I have received answers on other questions though.
What can I say, you either have that talent to get an answer from Fantasy Services, or you don't. ;)

diamonddave00
10-31-2006, 12:08 PM
I can't get the site to do anything. It takes me to a team page and league page nothing else. I'm unable to make any changes at all.

Los Angeles
10-31-2006, 01:56 PM
I can't get the site to do anything. It takes me to a team page and league page nothing else. I'm unable to make any changes at all.

You aren't able to click on your team name and go to the roster page?

There, you should have a drop down choice next to each player to choose a position or 'bench'.

diamonddave00
10-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Each time i click submit- it take me back to originally team page. It will not process any move i try to make.

It will not let me access available players , nor access anything to change any settings of any type.

Los Angeles
10-31-2006, 04:22 PM
I had a similar problem when I had the page saved as a favorite and went to it from my favorites list. (Not the same, but similar).

Are you logged on? This might be a glitch where you are viewing your team, but you are not officially logged on so it is not accepting your changes.

I think I fixed it by signing out and logging in all over again by going to nba.com, clicking fantasy, etc. etc. It might be superstition, but I re-log in now every time I want to make a change.

Give it a shot.

diamonddave00
10-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Thank L.A. . I already tried that . I was a member of nba.com , before the leagues formed. No idea whats going on.

Los Angeles
10-31-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm just throwing things against the wall to see what sticks.

Are any of your players no longer on a roster? Like unsigned FAs or guys who were just cut?