PDA

View Full Version : So who gets cut?

Anthem
10-16-2006, 10:41 PM
I think Edwards and Lampley are no-brainers. They're out of here.

Did Snap's performance in the 4th cost him a spot on the team? If yes, then we're still at 16 players. Who's left to cut?

I wish we could trade Jack, Foster, and Sarunas for a good shooting guard. Isn't that supposed to be the easiest position to fill?

McKeyFan
10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Probably Rawle. He's good, but if Jax has to stay, he's gotta go. Jax and Quis and White cover the spots he plays.

Aw Heck
10-16-2006, 10:59 PM
I agree. Edwards, Lampley, and Snap are gone.

So, the last spot is a battle between Powell and Marshall.

Even though he's had a good preseason so far, I think Marshall goes. Too many players are ahead of him. And Powell seems to be a good backup big man. He'll be good to have if there are any injuries to our frontcourt.

But really, I don't think either of them are going to see serious minutes if they make the team. They are fighting for the final roster spot, after all.

As for a Jack/Saras/Foster trade, I don't think anyone is going to touch Jack right now. Not while he's in court for the Rio incident AND probation violation.

Jermaniac
10-16-2006, 11:01 PM
The last spot is more of a battle between Oreo Cookies and Rawle then Josh Powell.

Evan_The_Dude
10-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Trade somebody for a second round draft pick and keep Marshall. Cut Lampley, Edwards, and Snap.

Aw Heck
10-16-2006, 11:08 PM
The last spot is more of a battle between Oreo Cookies and Rawle then Josh Powell.
Yeah, I can see that too. Powell seems like he's pretty much a lock.

I just think that Greene's a lock too because of Tinsley's injury history and DA's age. In a worst case scenario where Tinsley's injured and DA's body starts wearing down, Greene will be needed to backup (or even start over) Saras.

And if you figure that DA is going to retire at the end of the season, Greene will be a good 3rd guard to have for next season.

I guess I just convinced myself that Marshall should be cut. It's a shame, he's played pretty well.

Evan_The_Dude
10-16-2006, 11:10 PM
If Greene makes the team, Saras will end up being our 4th point guard before the season is done.

Destined4Greatness
10-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Edwards, Lampley, and Snap.

And either trade or cut Runi, Greene and Tinsley are above him. Daniels is better than him at PG and Armstrong has experience.

Unclebuck
10-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Greene has made the team. DW, Bird, and Rick have said so, and they should know. So you need to move on to other players.

Marshal is likely the 4th player cut

Evan_The_Dude
10-16-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm willing to bet money that Marshall doesn't get cut.

Destined4Greatness
10-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Greene has made the team. DW, Bird, and Rick have said so, and they should know. So you need to move on to other players.

Marshal is likely the 4th player cut

Yeah that was quite a pickup I have to give props to Larry, I am willing to bet he beat out at least 6 other GM's who tried to pick him up.

ajbry
10-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Greene and Powell remain; Hunter, Marshall, Edwards, and Lampley are gone.

With Orien staying, it would make sense to see either Tins or Saras up on the trading block very soon.

Unclebuck
10-16-2006, 11:27 PM

I think the odds are 50/50 that he'll get cut. Just doing the process of elimination, it is between Powell and Marshall.

Personally I wouldn't bother me if the Pacers cut Jamaal, Jax or Saras. I realize that is quite drastic, but that is truly what I believe

Jermaniac
10-16-2006, 11:29 PM
Greene and Powell remain; Hunter, Marshall, Edwards, and Lampley are gone.

With Orien staying, it would make sense to see either Tins or Saras up on the trading block very soon.It would make sense to trade our starting point guard? ICB

ajbry
10-16-2006, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't want it, but that's just what I think could happen, damn. I'd much rather see Saras get shipped away, trust me.

Destined4Greatness
10-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Yeah Runi just doesn't have a place with this team, we have a young guy who has already shown more potential. And thats if the word young can even apply to Runi.

Maybe we can package, Runi and Jack for an expiring deal and maybe a second rounder.

Jermaniac
10-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah Runi just doesn't have a place with this team, we have a young guy who has already shown more potential. And thats if the word young can even apply to Runi.

Maybe we can package, Runi and Jack for an expiring deal and maybe a second rounder.I dont beleive you mean that.

Frank Slade
10-16-2006, 11:46 PM

I very much agree. Powell is safe, and I wasn't sold on him at first either, he's made me a believer.

Los Angeles
10-16-2006, 11:54 PM
If I were to choose, I would figure out a way to keep BOTH Powell and Marshall. If it were up to me, I would cut Greene (sorry).

I'm completely baffled about why we want another "4 pointguard" mess on our hands, and yes, when the roles are not set and people feel like they are competing for the starting job, it is a mess.

If I were Armstrong, I'd feel like I have a shot just like Johnson had a shot last year.

I think Marshall's going to be gone though.

Destined4Greatness
10-16-2006, 11:56 PM
If I were to choose, I would figure out a way to keep BOTH Powell and Marshall. If it were up to me, I would cut Greene (sorry).

I'm completely baffled about why we want another "4 pointguard" mess on our hands, and yes, when the roles are not set and people feel like they are competing for the starting job, it is a mess.

If I were Armstrong, I'd feel like I have a shot just like Johnson had a shot last year.

Well we want it because we might need it. Tinlsey will get hurt eventually, Armstrong is a little to seasoned, and most of us don't have any faith in Runi.

Aw Heck
10-17-2006, 12:02 AM

I wish we didn't have to have 4 PG's either, but we have to.

Tinsley hasn't proven that he can stay healthy. Saras has been very shakey. Armstrong is 38 years old. Can his body hold up all season and possibly the playoffs if he is forced to play a lot of minutes because of injuries?

And I don't think Armstrong thinks he's here to earn a starting spot or to have a major playing role on the team. Since he's been here, all that's been said about him (and even what he's said about himself) is that he's here to provide leadership and a spark if the team needs it. I think a lot of people expect him to retire after this season. Some people even think he's going to take Carlisle's job. So I don't think we're going to have another AJ situation.

So, Greene stays because he's a good insurance policy. And he's a lot better than Eddie Gill.

Unclebuck
10-17-2006, 12:02 AM

I think you are way undervaluing Greene as a player. In fact I would like to see him be in the regular rotation and get 20-25 minutes every night (and that is regardless of whether Tinsley is healthy or not)

I'm basing this on what I saw of him last year while playing for the Celtics and then reading Rick, Larry's and Donnie's comments.

I need to cut and paste the article on Greene out of Boston.

Shade
10-17-2006, 12:08 AM
JO
Al
Foster
Harrison
Granger
Williams
White
Jack
Tins
Runi
Quis
Maceo
Armstrong
Powell

Those 14 are locks, IMO. Marshall and Greene will fight it out for the final spot.

JayRedd
10-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Those 14 are locks, IMO. Marshall and Greene will fight it out for the final spot.

Bird already told Greene to rest his injured finger and to not worry about trying to tough it out to make the squad. He's on the team.

But I say keep Marshall too and cut Johnny You-Know-Who

Naptown_Seth
10-17-2006, 12:21 AM
I can't join you in backing that bet because I think it's pretty close still, but I have to say that to me it's becoming a good bet at least. I don't know what they will do because Marshall has shown a really good game attacking the basket and could be a rotation player before White, which honestly has surprised me.

Williams would be cut if he wasn't the young draft pick (I think he'll be a solid player in a couple of years). White is standard rookie material, should be pretty solid by the end of the season.

Baston is a bit of a question mark with Powell and Marshall showing what they've got. If Greene is staying per DW (and I think he should the more I've thought about it), it seems certain that it has to come down to Powell, Baston and Marshall. Nice to have the extra big, but if Greene stays to cover Tinsley's injuries then doesn't Marshall have to stay to cover possibly losing Jackson?

So I lean slightly to Baston with JO, Harrington and Granger ahead of him as a rotation PF/big.

I assume everyone agrees that Snap, Edwards and Lampley are gone, that should be obvious by now.

Los Angeles
10-17-2006, 12:22 AM
I knew my post would get things going. ;)

I freely admit that I don't know enough about Green to give him a fair enough shake. That's why in the last "who would you cut" thread I said I would change my mind 100 times. We're down to 98. I need to see more from Green before I give him 20 minutes though.

I also know that scouting talent is probably my weakest aspect as a fan. I'm just not all that good at it.

As far as tonight goes, Marshall did not play well at all in my estimation, and neither did White. Hunter was woefully out of touch, and went from bad to outright awful as the game went on.

I honestly just wish we could trade a contract for nothing or do a 2-for-1 and spend a year working with some of these prospects. Yeah, good teams will embarrass us in the process, but I'm ready for that.

I re-iterate that I fully believe Marshal to be the one to go, especially after seeing him do not-so-well tonight.

Pacesetter
10-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Rawle and Greene are on the team. Snap is gone, and so is Powell and Edwards, Lampley.

Unclebuck
10-17-2006, 12:34 AM
OK, here is the article on Greene. Remember what DW said about himn last week, we need to just move on Greene isn't getting cut. Unless some off the court thing happens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...ndiana?mode=PF

Greener pastures in Indiana

Injury aside, ex-Celtic has a shot with Pacers

By Peter May, Globe Staff | October 15, 2006

Orien Greene became eminently expendable in Boston on the night of the 2006 NBA draft. The Celtics traded for Sebastian Telfair, traded for the pick to select Rajon Rondo, and then declined to pick up the second year of Greene's deal, making the point guard a free agent. He was not unemployed for long.

The Indiana Pacers claimed him off waivers and put him through a crash course in Pacers Basics over the summer. He arrived at training camp ready to claim a job, and it appears he has done just that.

``I love the guy," gushed Larry Bird, Indiana's basketball operations boss. ``He don't say much. He's a lot like [Danny] Granger in that way. They keep their mouths shut and just go out and work their butts off."

The glass-half-full assessment of Greene in Boston was that he had the tools to be a Don Chaney-type player. Defense was, and is, Greene's calling card. His offense? Well, in Boston, it was, to be charitable, on-again, off-again. He shot 39.5 percent from the field and 66 percent from the line. He averaged 3.2 points and 1.6 assists in 15.4 minutes.

None of those numbers deterred the Pacers. Indiana is trying to become a more athletic, versatile team, and Greene fit the job description. He spent all summer working on his shot -- ``He's making them now," Bird said -- and he led Indiana to a come-from-behind win in its exhibition opener against New Jersey, dishing out five assists and making two steals in an impact fourth quarter in which the Nets were outscored, 30-11.

``He was the catalyst in that win," said coach Rick Carlisle. ``That's why we had him in there. We like his size, his athleticism, and his tenacity. And he has a good feel for the game." [b]

Alas, the exhibition performance did not have a happy ending.

``I jammed my finger against another player and I found out later that I broke it in two places," Greene said. ``I thought when it happened that I just dislocated it and I asked the trainer to pop it back in place. I kept playing with it. They say I'll be out 3-6 weeks. We'll see."

[b]Greene played in 80 games for the Celtics last season, so he wasn't exactly a wallflower. He played more minutes than Al Jefferson. had an all-right year," he said. ``I had a lot of learning to do. I'm hoping to be a lot better this year. I've gotten a lot more confidence in my game."

Bird said Indiana probably will keep four point guards, which bodes well for Greene. The key returnees are oft-injured Jamaal Tinsley (involved, but not charged, in the recent strip club fiasco) and Sarunas Jasikevicius. Carlisle said he likes the way Greene plays and, needless to say, loves his defense.

``His defense is what's going to keep him in the league and put him on the roster," said Carlisle.

That sounds great to Greene. It would sound a lot better if he were able to play, but, for now, the encouraging words from Bird and Carlisle will do. It could be a lot worse.

Frank Slade
10-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Yeah I remember this article. This part really stuck out to me.

``I love the guy," gushed Larry Bird, Indiana's basketball operations boss. ``He don't say much. He's a lot like [Danny] Granger in that way. They keep their mouths shut and just go out and work their butts off."

Anthem
10-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Serious question.

Would any team in the league trade a second-round draft pick for Steven Jackson?

Pacesetter
10-17-2006, 12:39 AM
Serious question.

Would any team in the league trade a second-round draft pick for Steven Jackson?

Uh, yeah! Stop .... you are NOT serious?!?!?!

Aw Heck
10-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Serious question.

It would have to be a team under the cap, wouldn't it? I don't know what teams are under the cap now off the top of my head. Charlotte and Atlanta, maybe?

I can't see either of those teams doing it. They aren't making the playoffs anytime soon and they've got young players who need playing time. They probably don't want Jackson "influencing" their young players either.

ajbry
10-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Serious question.

I know some of you like to severely undervalue Jack, but that is just hilarious.

Unclebuck
10-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Serious question.

I think the only team in the NBA who has the cap space to do a deal like that is the Bobcats. (I could be wrong, maybe the Hawks have some room) They won't want Jackson.

Pacers would have to trade a player with Jax that a team would really want. Like Harrison, maybe Foster, or Saras although I doubt any team wants Saras. But if a trade like that took place I think the Pacers would have to take back a bad contract and perhaps have to include a first round pick. Jax has negative trade value - my guess is at least half the teams would hang up on the Pacers even if the P's offered DH, Jax a future first and agreed to take back a bad contract.

Just
10-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Cut Jack.

Pacesetter
10-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Ok, we trade a 17 point scorer for a second round pick? What's Bird and Walsh waiting for? :D

Unclebuck
10-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Cut Jack.

That is highly unlikely because the Pacers would have to pay him his whole contract. Three possiblities if the Pacers truly want to just dump the guy

1) Trade him for whatever you can get.

2) Buy him out of his contract

3) Wait until he is convicted of a felony and then void his contract.

Anthem
10-17-2006, 12:51 AM
It would have to be a team under the cap, wouldn't it? I don't know what teams are under the cap now off the top of my head. Charlotte and Atlanta, maybe?
Right, that's my point.

When people say things like "trade him for a second-round pick" they need to understand that it's not possible. Only two teams have the ability to take his contract outright, and they're not biting.

Denver (just as a random example) might want to trade their second-round pick for him, but they'd have to include a player.

Unclebuck
10-17-2006, 12:55 AM
For fun I went back and looked up the boxs scores for the preseason games last year (I mainly wanted to see the attendance figures and how they compared to this season) but I forgot that Bender had a preseason game where he scored 17 points. That just shows how quickly preseason games are forgotten

Naptown_Seth
10-17-2006, 01:14 AM
For fun I went back and looked up the boxs scores for the preseason games last year (I mainly wanted to see the attendance figures and how they compared to this season) but I forgot that Bender had a preseason game where he scored 17 points. That just shows how quickly preseason games are forgotten
Bender looked great in the home opener even. He didn't get a lot of touches, but he was attacking the basket better than just about anyone that night and looked like he was going to finally follow-up that third year. So it's not just preseason games forgotten.

Before anyone gets all upset about the score, remember that our starters beat their starters. SLick thinks that Baston could get cut. I don't think so.Based on the PLAY I've seen so far, I agree. Like I said, the team is losing money by the end of camp. They are going to pay Edwards to not play and whomever that final cut is.

Let's put it this way, say that Baston was just awful, I mean like far worse than Edwards or Gill. Would the team just keep them anyway and cut, say, Greene just because of the money? No way. At some point you need the player more than the money, and the money is already spent.

In fact if you cut a guy good enough he could get grabbed on waivers if 2 teams both want him, and then you wouldn't have to pay him at all.

Yeah, good teams will embarrass us in the process, but I'm ready for that.
No they wouldn't/won't. Remember we are talking about the final 3 players on the team, guys that get NO minutes unless there are injuries, and even then it's limited to what they can handle barring a repeat of the brawl season.

As it is now, assuming Jack stays and plays instead of heading to jail.
Tins
Jack
Granger
Al
JO

SarJas/DA
Daniels
Foster
Harrison

And then IF they play well enough Marshall, Powell, Baston, White, Williams and Green could find 10-15 minutes, maybe 20 if they really did well. But one is getting cut and 3-4 of them simply won't get any more PT than Fred Jones or AC did in year one with the team.

LosAngeles
10-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Naptown_Seth, when I mentioned w 2 for 1 deal, I kind of meant clearing space at the top to force the pacers to play prospects for serious minutes in the season. I mean like a jack and foster for a dead hit kind of trade. One that makes the pacers worse right now but will right the ship in time.

That said, I do like what you have to say on the subject.

Have I said recently that I'm glad I don't run the team? :)

Bball
10-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Bender even played in the home opener? I don't remember him doing anything special.

As for Sjax' trade value... A 2nd round pick would be a major coup at this point. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

-Bball

LosAngeles
10-17-2006, 01:51 AM
BTW - thanks for posting the article UB.

denyfizle
10-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Edwards, Lampley, Hunter and Desmond Farmer :)

lumber man
10-17-2006, 05:53 AM
trading sarunas for a pick (if that's even doable, i'm not sure about the rules on that), would not upset me at all if it insured our keeping marshall and or greene.

BlueNGold
10-17-2006, 06:01 AM
That is highly unlikely because the Pacers would have to pay him his whole contract. Three possiblities if the Pacers truly want to just dump the guy

1) Trade him for whatever you can get.

2) Buy him out of his contract

3) Wait until he is convicted of a felony and then void his contract.

#3 will end his time as a Pacer IMO. I give it a 57% chance based on Brizzi's conviction rate. In the meantime, #1 is what they are likely working on at the moment. #2 might happen as a last resort IMO.

I hope #1 happens soon.

Alpolloloco
10-17-2006, 07:15 AM
trading Jackson for a pick (if that's even doable, i'm not sure about the rules on that), would not upset me at all if it insured our keeping marshall and or greene.

fixed

Will Galen
10-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Powell and Greene have made the team. If they want to keep Rawly they will make a trade.

I think they will make a trade.

blanket
10-17-2006, 10:16 AM
I could see Jack traded to the Nuggets, who are still looking for a SG.

If we don't package him with another player like Foster or Saras to get more value back, I could see a straight up trade like one of these:

Jack for Joe Smith and a 2nd round pick

- or -

Jack for Najera, Hodge and a 2nd round pick

Naptown_Seth
10-17-2006, 11:20 AM
LA - Yeah, I did understand the jist of your point, but I think even in a 2 for 1 situation you are still seeing mostly reliable vets as the core minutes guys. If you gave the new starters 36 each you could shield the greenest of the young talent still. The Pistons had no problem keeping Darko off the floor while winning a lot of games (even if you think Darko should have been playing, the point is he didn't have to be).

Bender even played in the home opener? I don't remember him doing anything special.
I have photos to prove it. :) Yeah, he and Harrison were the only two Pacers that actually followed the ball penetration to the hoop in that game. Everyone else was doing a lot of standing and watching as a guy would drive. Bender also showed the ability to drive with the ball effectively too. I don't think every fan realizes just how much his injury hurt the Pacers. He was getting to a level of understanding that made him a solid threat.

Like I said, you look at the box score and say "meh", but some of their best play came with him on the court, and it was a rough overall night as they came out of halftime playing horrible (ended the 2nd that way too).

Back to who could be cut, I always say that Rick is typically a "positive spin" coach, a guy that likes to always soften his public opinions and look for the best possible comment. So to me this quote is a bad sign for Rawle...

"He plays pretty steady out there," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "I wouldn't make a big deal out of the scoring numbers in a game like this. . . . He does some things well. I like his sensibility as a player. He has some real solid skills. I wouldn't throw him out there starting two games in a row if I didn't think he was a pretty good player."
That is as close to "this guy isn't good enough" as you will ever hear out of RC. He has to be pretty PO'd to actually say something negative about a player's performance. "pretty good", "wouldn't make a big deal", "some things well"...sounds to me like Marshall is in trouble.

Powell isn't even mentioned in the article as in the competition mix. Instead Mark and Mike have it listed (but not quoted) as Greene, Marshall and Snap, and if you couple Rick's quote with the Larry quote about Greene it sounds like this is a done deal.

Anthem
10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
I could see Jack traded to the Nuggets, who are still looking for a SG.

If we don't package him with another player like Foster or Saras to get more value back, I could see a straight up trade like one of these:

Jack for Joe Smith and a 2nd round pick

- or -

Jack for Najera, Hodge and a 2nd round pick
Done. I'd be fine with any of those.

imawhat
10-17-2006, 01:41 PM
I have photos to prove it. :) Yeah, he and Harrison were the only two Pacers that actually followed the ball penetration to the hoop in that game.

Did they play the 76ers in their home opener, or was that their second home game? I thought he looked really bad (and sore) in that game. In fact, that was his last pro game.

I think the final spot is between Marshall and Baston. I think Baston's defense has been pretty bad and his shooting isn't impressive. I'm starting to wonder where Larry is coming up with these things like "Maceo is the best free agent PF on the market".

Since86
10-17-2006, 01:42 PM
No way would you get Najera straight up for Jax right now, especially if you think you're going to get Julius and a pick as well.

They'd laugh you off the phone.

waxman
10-17-2006, 01:57 PM
It would be a shame for Marshall to get cut... He is more polished and ready to play than either of our rooks.

JayRedd
10-17-2006, 02:11 PM
No way would you get Najera straight up for Jax right now, especially if you think you're going to get Julius and a pick as well.

They'd laugh you off the phone.

No way we get Najera for Jack. And Joe Smith has more value as an expiring contract.

Maybe Kenyon for Jack, Harrison and Sarunas.

I think Denver might do that. They really, really needs to get out of KMart's contract. Ridding themselves of that, plus a "shooter" in Sarunas and a young big with UPside, might be enough to get it done.

This is pretty much just curing cancer by getting AIDs though. As much as I'd like to see Jack go, I wouldn't do that if I was Bird/Donnie.

bambam
10-17-2006, 04:01 PM
how many can you have on the active bench and injured list. Also, how many can you have if they are in the NBDL? Which IMO, that is where Williams and one other player will be heading. I think the NBDL is great system...i would rather see williams playing against guys with excellent shots at making the NBA, than sitting the bench all season.

imawhat
10-17-2006, 04:05 PM
12, 3, and 15.

lumber man
10-17-2006, 05:03 PM
fixed
don't quote my post and "fix it" for a dumb idea like that.

Smooth_for_Pres.
10-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Serious question.

Absolutely.

Portland
New York
Atlanta (That would be sweet...)
Charlotte

IMO, he's worth more than that, even now.

OakMoses
10-18-2006, 11:15 AM
I haven't watched any of the preseason games. That's a disclaimer.

From what I've read, it sounds like Marshall's going to get cut unless he plays well enough to make the Pacers keep him. They're going to have to find a way to keep him, and I don't think it will be by cutting Greene or Powell. That only leaves them the option of a trade or cutting a player with a guaranteed contract, probably Sarunas or Jackson. If given the opportunity, you have to believe that Donnie and Larry would void Jackson's contract in a heartbeat. However, I don't think Jax is going anywhere. No one else wants him, and he's not going to court and/or jail soon enough for someone not to get cut.

Here are some scenario's where Marshall makes the team in order of preference:

1. Jackson pleads guilty to a felony, his contract gets voided.

2. Trade Sarunas and Foster for an athletic, young big man who's more polished and ready to play than Baston and Powell.

3. Cut Sarunas.