PDA

View Full Version : NBA Games In Hi-Def??

mugsy27
10-16-2006, 02:41 PM
hey guys...just got directv with hi-def dish/reciever and ordered the nba league pkg.

looks like that consists of all of the games via the various fox sports networks.

does the nba broadcast these games in hi-def? or will i only get to see the pacers in hi-def on the rare tnt or nbc game??

so far both preseason games have been low-def, with sound like im listening to the local broadcasters in AM radio... :mad:

Unclebuck
10-16-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't know for sure, but on the preview channel they are saying games on NBA LP are in hi-def. Not sure how many are.

ChicagoJ
10-16-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure that many are broadcast in HiDef in the first place. Maybe MSG's games.

Only about 1/2 of CBS's NFL games are HiDef. Surely the various local FS's and other regional sports networks don't make enough ad revenue to incur the additional expense of a HD broadcast, do they?

Ragnar
10-16-2006, 03:47 PM
I would think this year all the NBA TV, TNT,TBS, ESPN, ABC games will be in HD and some league pass games will be. Like Jay said MSG has HD so those will most likely be in HD but I doubt that most Pacer games will be.

Although last year someone at Direct TV said they were working on making all NBA games HD so who knows.

ChicagoJ
10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Well, DirecTV doesn't have any control as to how the broadcasters broadcast. But if someone makes the game available in HiDef, that's how DirecTV picks it up.

Ironically, I can't get the ABC games in HiDef. But that's because I've got the "old" HDTV TiVo.

Bball
10-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Directv is busy adding Hidef locals and so I wouldn't expect much in the way of Hidef games added this season (bandwidth issues and priorities come into play). And the kicker might be that even when there is a Hidef game (besides a natl network like ESPN, TNT, ABC) we get blacked out because our local Fox Sports is carrying the game.

Last year, IIRC, there were some hidef games on a standalone channel between 80-100 on Directv.

OTOH, if the NBA was to add a shopping channel I imagine Directv would be all over getting that one on air.

-Bball