PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Bender back on injured list

Cactus Jax
01-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Just heard this on NBATV from one of the guys who works on Pacers.com. I guess they brought him back a little too soon.

Roy Munson
01-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Just heard this on NBATV from one of the guys who works on Pacers.com. I guess they brought him back a little too soon.

Who did they take OFF the IR?

Cactus Jax
01-23-2004, 06:59 PM

Who did they take OFF the IR?

The guy (John Clayton) didn't say who they took off IR.

Ragnar
01-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Had to be Kenny.

zxc
01-23-2004, 07:40 PM
Looks like it is Primoz. Pollard out too?

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/injuries_040123.html

Hicks
01-23-2004, 08:00 PM
No Artest AND No Pollard?? Not good timing when a decent, big, west team comes to town. We have a decent chance of losing tonight now. :(

ROCislandWarrior
01-25-2004, 03:14 PM
BENDER... geezzzzz....Is he ever going to come back? Any news on when they expect him to play

Kstat
01-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Jonathan Bender will revolutionize the "IR" position....

ABADays
01-25-2004, 03:21 PM
The story said it had nothing to do with his knees. Some kind of problem with that big *** tatoo on his right arm now. At least we know what he was doing during camp.

DisplacedKnick
01-25-2004, 03:27 PM

That's cold. Funny, but cold.

ROCislandWarrior
01-25-2004, 03:42 PM

That's cold. Funny, but cold.

MVP
DPOY
Best 6th Man
Best IR man???

Suaveness
01-25-2004, 05:04 PM
BUST. I keep saying it, and no one listens. :unimpressed: he has NOT shown anything to prove his value, and continues to unimpress me.

Unclebuck
01-26-2004, 07:49 AM
BUST. I keep saying it, and no one listens. :unimpressed: he has NOT shown anything to prove his value, and continues to unimpress me.

How does anyone know since he has not played at all this season and not much last season.

BigMac
01-26-2004, 08:24 AM

How does anyone know since he has not played at all this season and not much last season.

For arguments sake, I'll chime in.

Chris Washburn hasn't played at all this season nor last season and I'd label him a bust. ;)

ABADays
01-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Webber has played before and established himself. Although, I would have to agree he would make the All-IR team with JB.

DisplacedKnick
01-26-2004, 08:46 AM

So in addition to never having shown himself capable of being an impact player in the NBA now he's chronically injured as well?

Give it up Suaveness. I tried this from April, 2002. Everyone then kept saying "I'll give him one more year."

Now it's two seasons later and we have the excuses flying again. I'm sure he'll be playing in the 2005 all-star game. :)

DisplacedKnick
01-26-2004, 08:47 AM

Chris Washburn hasn't played at all this season nor last season and I'd label him a bust. ;)

Could add DerMarr Johnson.

BigMac
01-26-2004, 08:50 AM

Could add DerMarr Johnson.

But didn't DerMarr start good and then have a horrific traffic accident where he broke his neck and/or back? I wouldn't categorize that as the same if that is the case. Bender is a traffic accident waiting to happen. Or is he a train wreck because even though he hasn't done anything, we just feel the need to watch even though we know we shouldn't?

indygeezer
01-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Scott Haskins cloned?

OTOH, I saw some real encouraging signs from JB when he was in there. He had a new aggresiveness about him. I wanna see what he can do when healthy. Make that IF healthy.

Bball
01-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Jonathon Bender IS a bust regardless of if he ever finally does anything or not. You don't trade a valuable piece of a contending team for the 5th pick in the draft only to have that 5th pick be a non factor for 5 years and not call it a bust.

I still say Marcus Camby and what he did to the Pacers in 1999 made too much of an impact on Walsh and Bender was his answer. While his play on the court has never reached Camby's game his IR ability is similar. . :unimpressed:

-Bball

Suaveness
01-26-2004, 03:02 PM

That would be the problem, wouldn't it? We don't know how he can play. I don't know if we ever plan on finding out. If he's sitting on the bench during the year, how can he be productive? If he had for a longer period of time and shown that he could play, then maybe I could be optimistic.

Frankly, he hasn't. Every time he gets injured, people use the excuse that we can wait until he gets better, and then he will show the world how great he is. Still waiting.

Hicks
01-26-2004, 04:00 PM
I won't hold Bender's injuries against him when it comes to evaluating his ability.

Personally, I've heard too much raving from too many people (JO, Isiah, Larry Bird, Carlisle, Walsh) to think he's just a nobody. He has to be showing these people something. JO being the least, these men know basketball players and they know talent. They all say he's very talented. I think he can still show it.

It's just coming along a ton slower than anyone wanted.

But I'm encouraged by what little I saw when he played. He acted much more agressively. I think his enemy now besides injuries is simply being on a contending team that can't afford to give a 3rd string foward minutes to develop.

MSA2CF
03-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Come back soon Bender! :(

Tom White
03-28-2004, 05:50 PM
Personally, I've heard too much raving from too many people (JO, Isiah, Larry Bird, Carlisle, Walsh) to think he's just a nobody....

.....3rd string foward

To address part one of the above quote -

Yes, they have all said wonderful things about JB. On the other hand, how often have you heard a coach or GM publicly put down players on their team. That just doesn't happen very often. It takes down the player's morale and possibly the team's. JB may be a player that needs to hear good things being said about him, for the sake of his confidence.

To address part two of the above quote -

BINGO!

Hicks
03-28-2004, 05:54 PM
That's not fair. He's 3rd string because we're a contending team that has the luxury of Artest AND Harrington before him. There's a lot of talented people who aren't gonna play above those two.

Hicks
03-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Yes, they have all said wonderful things about JB. On the other hand, how often have you heard a coach or GM publicly put down players on their team. That just doesn't happen very often. It takes down the player's morale and possibly the team's. JB may be a player that needs to hear good things being said about him, for the sake of his confidence.

It's not that simple. They aren't saying "JB's a good kid with a future in this league". That's a more generic thing to say.

They're saying he has more potential than either of their ALL-STARs, and those two all-stars AGREE with it. That's more than coddling a fledgling player.

Plus, just today we see Bird scouting the top High School draft prospects and saying "Jonathan Bender is better than all these kids combined". That's a LOT more than just saying something nice about a guy because he happens to play for your team.

ChicagoJ
03-30-2004, 02:02 PM
I still say Marcus Camby and what he did to the Pacers in 1999 made too much of an impact on Walsh and Bender was his answer. While his play on the court has never reached Camby's game his IR ability is similar. . :unimpressed:

-Bball

Especially since all he had to do was make sure Harrington was on the playoff roster the next season. :unimpressed:

Bender as the fifth pick, I can live with. Bender in exchange for AD - that's a lot tougher to swallow.

Ragnar
03-30-2004, 02:10 PM
No matter what his ability is he will be a bust if he cant play a full season. I would be happy with a half a season plus the playoffs at this point.

He has already missed more than half the season and I bet he is on the playoff roster instead of someone else. He will end up being injured in the first game or soon after and we will be without who ever was left off for him. Like in 00 when he was on instead of Foster.

PaceBalls
03-30-2004, 03:43 PM
Bender is gonna be in the playoffs, that is why they are resting him. And he will put the Pacers over the top for the championship run.

fwpacerfan
03-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Bender is gonna be in the playoffs, that is why they are resting him. And he will put the Pacers over the top for the championship run.

Don't be so positive. The Pacers suck, Bender sucks and we're doomed to see this team get swept in the first round.

Go Pistons!

MSA2CF
03-30-2004, 05:20 PM

Don't be so positive. The Pacers suck, Bender sucks and we're doomed to see this team get swept in the first round.

Go Pistons!

Sarcasm I hope. :neutral:

fwpacerfan
03-30-2004, 05:29 PM

Go Pistons!

Sarcasm I hope. :neutral:

Of course. But there are many on here I wonder about. :(

Ragnar
03-30-2004, 05:31 PM
We do have Pistons fans who visit. Remember we have their old coach. You know the guy who turned them into a team who could win 50 games instead of lose 50 like the year before he got there.

fwpacerfan
03-30-2004, 05:44 PM
We do have Pistons fans who visit. Remember we have their old coach. You know the guy who turned them into a team who could win 50 games instead of lose 50 like the year before he got there.

I don't mind them, it's the Pacer fans, the ones who say they've watched this team since they were 5 years old, that bother me. How could someone who suffered the Billy Knight, Clark Kellog, Vern Fleming, Granville Waiters days be negative about this team? This team wins more in a month than those teams won in a season!

Ragnar
03-30-2004, 05:48 PM

I don't mind them, it's the Pacer fans, the ones who say they've watched this team since they were 5 years old, that bother me. How could someone who suffered the Billy Knight, Clark Kellog, Vern Fleming, Granville Waiters days be negative about this team? This team wins more in a month than those teams won in a season!

True Dat.

ChicagoJ
03-30-2004, 06:26 PM

I've been trying to do a little better lately. :blush:

PaceBalls
03-30-2004, 06:47 PM

High expectations pal, I've seen the crappy teams and the good teams. And this is a really great team. Nothing more frustrating than watching a really great teams underachieve.

Suaveness
03-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Bender is 23 give him a little time. I believe Larry Bird knows what he is talking about.

Sorry, we've already given him a lot of time. He has done nothing.

Snickers
03-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Keep Primoz, Jamison and JJones on the IR. Doubt any of them would see much playoff court time anyway.

MSA2CF
03-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Keep Primoz, Jamison and JJones on the IR. Doubt any of them would see much playoff court time anyway.

Sí, cuando alcanzamos los finales de NBA, necesitaremos a todos los hombres grandes que podemos conseguir.

(Yes, when we reach the NBA Finals, we will need all the big men we can get.)

duaneok66
03-31-2004, 01:46 AM

sure he will . . . too bad he has to play defense . . . remember what he did last year against Antoine Walker????

fwpacerfan
03-31-2004, 08:10 AM

High expectations pal, I've seen the crappy teams and the good teams. And this is a really great team. Nothing more frustrating than watching a really great teams underachieve.

So you are saying this team is underachieving? Game in and game out I say no. On a given night (last night) they have lapses just like every other team that plays 82 games. Even the Bulls team that won 70 games had an off night 12 times.

Bball
03-31-2004, 05:12 PM

All those shattered dreams, unfulfilled promises, etc... tend to take a toll. ;)

-Bball