PDA

View Full Version : Jackson: I was protecting my teamates

Mr. Sobchak
10-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Didnt see this posted anywhere else....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2627260

Jackson: I was merely defending my teammates

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson says he was just trying to protect three teammates when he fired a handgun and was hit by a car during a fight outside an Indianapolis strip club.

The 28-year-old Jackson faces a pretrial hearing on a felony charge of criminal recklessness and misdemeanor counts of battery and disorderly conduct Nov. 1, the same day the Pacers open the season in Charlotte, N.C.

His trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 8 in Marion Superior Court. The criminal recklessness charge carries a prison term of six months to three years.

"I'm in a situation now where people thought I acted recklessly, when I know I didn't," Jackson said Saturday night after the Pacers' 97-84 loss to the Utah Jazz.

"Over due time the courts will know that," he said. "We'll be able to see I wasn't trying to hurt anybody. I had no intentions of hurting anybody. I was just making sure me and my teammates were safe. I'm the one who got hit by the car."

Police said Jackson fired a gun in the air at least five times during an Oct. 6 fight outside Club Rio. Jackson originally told police that he fired the gun in self-defense, but Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi said Jackson retrieved his gun from his car and fired it before he was struck and injured by another car.

Jackson, who showed up at Conseco Fieldhouse on Saturday sporting a shaven head instead of his familiar braids, was booed by some fans during the game. He came off the bench and finished with six points in 23 minutes.

Jackson was serving probation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor assault and battery charges in September 2005 in his role in a 2004 brawl between Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans at The Palace of Auburn Hills, Mich. He is scheduled to appear at a probation violation hearing at a Rochester Hills district court on Nov. 13 and could face up to three months in jail.

The court schedule and shadow of jail time could complicate Indiana's season. But Pacers coach Rick Carlisle seemed relatively unruffled.

"We'll cross those bridges when we come to them," Carlisle said. "I've heard some dates thrown around, but I don't know that there's anything set in stone. I know that a lot of times schedules can be adjusted based on people's work, but I'm not going to make any presumptions on that. ... That's light years away."

Isaac
10-16-2006, 12:50 AM
I like what I'm hearing from Jack, although I'm not going to be fooled into really buying in to it. I just hope he's right.

ajbry
10-16-2006, 12:59 AM
If anything, I am pleasantly surprised with how articulate Jack has sounded lately. He is a bright guy, but he seems to be more professional in his interviews now.

rexnom
10-16-2006, 01:30 AM
Well, I'll be damned if they don't ride together.

SycamoreKen
10-16-2006, 01:40 AM
Didnt see this posted anywhere else....

"I'm in a situation now where people thought I acted recklessly, when I know I didn't," Jackson said Saturday night after the Pacers' 97-84 loss to the Utah Jazz.

"Over due time the courts will know that," he said. "We'll be able to see I wasn't trying to hurt anybody. I had no intentions of hurting anybody. I was just making sure me and my teammates were safe. I'm the one who got hit by the car."

You fired 5 live rounds into the air and don't think you acted recklessly? His lawyer actually let him say that? That's stupid! I just thank God that one of those bullits didn't come down and land on someone's head. How absurd would it have been of one of those said bullits would have hit his own teammate?

One of the reasons I quit my teaching job was because of kids that kept making stupid decisions and then acting like you were picking on them when they got in trouble. What made it worse was they just got a slap on the wrist for it. Jackson can't even admit what he did was wrong, but then people wonder why he would get booed or looked own on.

I do hope things turn out well for him, but I also hope he does get some real punishment for this. Since the team and league are unwilling to do anything, I guess its up to the courts.

Charcoal Filtered
10-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Was he also protecting Artest when he went into the stands throwing haymakers at anyone in the vicinity?

Good thing it is illegal to have a gun inside an NBA facility or the Palace would have bullet holes in it.

Kstat
10-16-2006, 02:07 AM
I refuse to believe he let his lawyer know he was going to say that....

If he did, that lawyer should probably be fired.

Robertmto
10-16-2006, 04:10 AM
Has Jax said this before or did he just change and/or add to his story again?

Harddrive7
10-16-2006, 07:13 AM
Well thank goodness he cut those braids. Totally changes his entire demeanor.
:rolleyes:

Rinuven
10-16-2006, 08:42 AM
You fired 5 live rounds into the air and don't think you acted recklessly? His lawyer actually let him say that? That's stupid! I just thank God that one of those bullits didn't come down and land on someone's head. How absurd would it have been of one of those said bullits would have hit his own teammate?

Getting away from the topic a little...anyone ever watch mythbusters on the discovery channel? They did a show on this very thing. Chances are the bullets landed a considerable distance away from the players, but there is definitley lethal potential in those shots.

Speed
10-16-2006, 09:25 AM
This all started way back in the preseason that he became a Pacers, before the brawl, before it all, I remember it like it was yesterday...........

Well I don't really remember it exactly, but he said something to the effect that he would fight for his teammates, go to war for them, more than that tho, I can't find the exact quote, but it was something like I would fight for them on or off the court, kinda thing and he's tried to prove that ever since, back that up, have their back in a New Jack City sort of way, which he doesn't have to do, but he has been doing that and he still doesn't see anything wrong with it and even if it lands him in jail he will wear it like a badge of honor, sadly enough.

Otherwise, he HAS to proclaim his innocence, he's up for a felony.

ABADays
10-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I thought Jackson's comments were foolish and self-indicting.

Putnam
10-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Two-hundred and fifty years ago Dr. Samuel Johnson wrote, "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Every politician who has ever been drummed out of office in scandal has claimed he "kept the faith" with his constituents or with his fellow public officials.

John David Hinckley did it for love of Jodie Foster.

I was just making sure me and my teammates were safe.

imawhat
10-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Me too. Nothing he says is going to justify his actions. And I think it's worse that he's relating his actions in the brawl to the same defense in this recent case.

CableKC
10-16-2006, 02:41 PM

To echo SycamoreKen.....I think that this statement tells me alot about SJax the type of person he is. He acts before he thinks things through.

If it is true....that he was acting to protect his teammates....then his intentions...at least to him....were good. To SJax...he looks at the situation as "I will do what I have to do to protect my teammates and friends" ( similiar to what he did in Detroit )....whereas the court will likely look at it as the opposite.....he acted on impulse and did something recklessly without thinking of the consequences.

Admittedly....its probably hard to think of all the ramifications and consequences in the heat of the moment ( especially after...what essentially boils down to...a riot in the Palace or after getting hit by a car )....but that is usually what happens....he wants to do what he thinks is the right thing. Unfortunately, he has a tendency to act before he thinks things through the entire situation and what the ramifications and consequences are.

Speed
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
The whole thing reminds me of Chapelle show, the skit "when keeping it real, goes wrong"

ChicagoJ
10-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Getting away from the topic a little...anyone ever watch mythbusters on the discovery channel? They did a show on this very thing. Chances are the bullets landed a considerable distance away from the players, but there is definitley lethal potential in those shots.

Maybe its SJax that hit the toddler with a stray bullet up here in Chicago on Easter Sunday. Or the two adolescents in Englewood that died from stray bullets a couple weeks apart, back in March.

Yep, that's dangerous too, even if the players themselves were safe from the bullets.

Since86
10-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Admittedly....its probably hard to think of all the ramifications and consequences in the heat of the moment ( especially after...what essentially boils down to...a riot in the Palace or after getting hit by a car ).

The kicker is that he fired a shot BEFORE the car struck him.

By all accounts, he was never actually involved in a fight, but involved in attack a man while he was already on the ground getting beaten. (Just so happens he doesn't have a fully delevoped arm, nor hands.)

CableKC
10-16-2006, 04:05 PM
The kicker is that he fired a shot BEFORE the car struck him.

By all accounts, he was never actually involved in a fight, but involved in attack a man while he was already on the ground getting beaten. (Just so happens he doesn't have a fully delevoped arm, nor hands.)

I stand corrected....but the main point that I was trying to bring up.....and I'm not defending him in any way.....is that "in the heat of the moment"...he did what we have seen from him before....when the situation grows volatile...he acts before he thinks.

Putnam
10-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I stand corrected....but the main point that I was trying to bring up.....and I'm not defending him in any way.....is that "in the heat of the moment"...he did what we have seen from him before....when the situation grows volatile...he acts before he thinks.

That's probably true, CableKC. But that is only half the story. Any of us might act with "sudden heat" and do something wrong. Jackson, as you say, "acts before he thinks."

But what do you make of the fact that afterwards he still claims it was the right thing to do? There is no "heat of the moment" involved with his later statements, in which he still claims that kicking Fingers was a good thing.

JayRedd
10-16-2006, 04:23 PM
The whole thing reminds me of Chapelle show, the skit "when keeping it real, goes wrong"

It was a late Thursday night and the Indiana Pacers players were just getting ready to call it an evening after a night full of lap dances, brrrrumskis and Hennessey.

Just as Stephen Jackson and Jamal Tinsley were making their way outside, an intoxicated, short-armed man known only as Fingers decided to beligerently tell the underachieving millionaires how he felt about their on-court performance last season.

"Hey Tinsley you bum...How's the yeast infection? You guys SUUUUUCKK!!!"

The newest Pacer, Marquis Daniels, laughed the comment off and made an off-color remark about how he woud have "Stomped the **** out that clown mother-****er if he didn't have so much respect for all the charitible work done by the March of Dimes."

But for Stephen Jackson it was on. "Nah man...We gotta Keep it Real"

Since86
10-16-2006, 04:24 PM

I totally agree with you.

It was more directed at him saying he was trying to protect his teammates, which weren't even involved in anything. He interjected himself into a situation that he, personally, and no direct involvement in.

EDIT:

That's probably true, CableKC. But that is only half the story. Any of us might act with "sudden heat" and do something wrong. Jackson, as you say, "acts before he thinks."

But what do you make of the fact that afterwards he still claims it was the right thing to do? There is no "heat of the moment" involved with his later statements, in which he still claims that kicking Fingers was a good thing.

Yeah. I think he'd get a LOT further with the fans/media/prosecutor/jury if he say's it was mistake. By defending his actions he's showing a real lack of learning from his mistakes.

It feels like Ron all over. Creating excuses, instead of just stepping up and saying you messed up.

Speed
10-16-2006, 04:25 PM
It was a late Thursday night and the Indiana Pacers players were just getting ready to call it an evening after a night full of lap dances, brrrrumskis and Hennessey.

Just as Stephen Jackson and Jamal Tinsley were making their way outside, an intoxicated, short-armed man known only as Fingers decided to beligerently tell the underachieving millionaires how he felt about their on-court performance last season.

"Hey Tinsley you bum...How's the yeast infection? You guys SUUUUUCKK!!!"

The newest Pacer, Marquis Daniels, laughed the comment off and made an off-color remark about how he woud have "Stomped the **** out that clown mother-****er if he didn't have so much respect for all the charitible work done by the March of Dimes."

But for Stephen Jackson it was on "Nah man...We gotta Keep it Real"

lolol lmao

Naptown_Seth
10-16-2006, 04:38 PM

We have just witnessed the exact moment Jack transformed into Artest.

This from a Jack defender. Dude needed to STFU, recognize that he has an issue with how he deals with heated situations, and not try to rationalize why it was okay.

His initial version could be defended, but the current "real" version cannot. It can be understood, it was the heat of the moment, its not something you feel proud about, okay I get that. But stop talking when you get to the "I had to have people's back" part.

There are other ways to have someone's back...say a 911 call from your cell before you grab/fire the gun to "stop the fighting".

ChicagoJ
10-16-2006, 04:47 PM
This doesn't make him "innocent."

It may or may not provide a "feel good" explanation for why he did what he did.

There's a big, big difference.

imawhat
10-16-2006, 05:12 PM

Yeah, I saw that. Unless a bullet is shot up at a perfect 90 degree angle, the trajectory can be lethal. And to shoot it at that angle (without a guide) would be near impossible.

Kstat
10-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Saw that same episode.

There are excerpts about people who have been paralyzed/killed from stray bullets fired into the air

Knucklehead Warrior
10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Anybody see today's ZITS comic strip?
Guy pulls the fire alarm at school, is hauled off by security. Sitting in the principal's office he says, "I'm one of those people that stuff just happens to."

CableKC
10-16-2006, 05:35 PM

Don't get me wrong....I'm not defending what he has done and has said...just based off of his behavior...I am not surprised by what he did.

Shamboubou
10-18-2006, 10:22 PM
The dude kicked a handicaped man while he was on the ground. Is there really anything worse than that. On top of the he lied to the police saying that he only fired his guy after hit by the car, when he did it before being hit. The guy is worthless, and I wish this team would just flat out cut him.

Romsey31
10-19-2006, 05:32 PM
& we wonder why top free agents dont wanna come to indy...you people ***** bout everything...

ABADays
10-19-2006, 06:05 PM
& we wonder why top free agents dont wanna come to indy...you people ***** bout everything...

OMG, I can't actually believe someone said this :lmao:

First of all do you think a free agent give a rats *** what the fans think? "Here, wait a minute. Let me check the message boards before I sign with Indiana." Secondly, if they are like Jackson I hope we become invisible. And last but not least, do you really think our fans are ANY different than fans from any other city. Reality check.

ajbry
10-19-2006, 07:07 PM
To be honest, yes, Pacers fans are different. Too oversensitive and overdramatic.

dlewyus
10-19-2006, 07:10 PM
When Jack protects his team mates he always makes things worse. He's the type of friend that gets you in trouble (we've all had a few of those). Escalates bad situations, doesn't think he did anything, he just don't get it. Too worried about losing his "street cred".