PDA

View Full Version : Why are we talking about the Pistons? Are they our second round foe?

Ragnar
04-27-2004, 06:02 PM
I know it is boring and we dont know for sure who we are facing. If we are bored why dont we talk about the Heat/Hornets series. They have a lot more bearing on the Pacers right now than a team we may or may not face.

I think the Heat will win. Maybe the Hornets will make a series of it. I just dont see them wining in Miami. They have been terrible on the road and must win at least one on the road to advance.

Kstat
04-27-2004, 06:04 PM
I know it is boring and we dont know for sure who we are facing. If we are bored why dont we talk about the Heat/Hornets series. They have a lot more bearing on the Pacers right now than a team we may or may not face.

I think the Heat will win. Maybe the Hornets will make a series of it. I just dont see them wining in Miami. They have been terrible on the road and must win at least one on the road to advance.

I'm sure if the Heat had any fans, they would be here talking about it....

Suaveness
04-27-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm sure they do, they just don't troll boards I guess.

Heat will cause some matchup problems in the backcourt. Wade is a very very good player, and very quick. This might be tough on Tins. Also, who would Artest guard?

Hicks
04-27-2004, 06:09 PM
I can see :hornets: winning it, but I'm expecting :heat: to be our opponent. Neither should beat us in the semis.

Kstat
04-27-2004, 06:10 PM
In any case, Wade will be by FAR the biggest matchup problem for Indy. Tins isn't a great defender to begin with, and Wade's ability to get into the lane will highlight that.

Also, its been a while since the Pacers have faced an actual defense, and Miami is rather pesky in that area. I wonder how Indy will react....

ROCislandWarrior
04-27-2004, 06:17 PM
In any case, Wade will be by FAR the biggest matchup problem for Indy. Tins isn't a great defender to begin with, and Wade's ability to get into the lane will highlight that.

Also, its been a while since the Pacers have faced an actual defense, and Miami is rather pesky in that area. I wonder how Indy will react....

Wade is as quick as anyone but he does have two flaws which the Pacers can exploit.

#1 he is not the best ball handler (You can steal the ball from him)
#2 his outside shot is streaky at best

The Pacers (Tinsley) will not be able to keep Wade out of the lane, so we'll just do what we did against boston...collapse. when Wade drives, the defenders will help out and try to strip wade of the ball, which will create fast breaks.

Tinsley will also be able to sink in a little on Wade unless he gets hot

Don't get me wrong, Wade is still going to be a pain in the @ss

Kstat
04-27-2004, 06:20 PM

Wade is as quick as anyone but he does have two flaws which the Pacers can exploit.

The Pacers (Tinsley) will not be able to keep Wade out of the lane, so we'll just do what we did against boston...collapse. when Wade drives, the defenders will help out and try to strip wade of the ball, which will create fast breaks.

Tinsley will also be able to sink in a little on Wade unless he gets hot

Don't get me wrong, Wade is still going to be a pain in the @ss

See, if that was a good strategy more teams would be using it.

The Heat have an attack much like Milwaukee: they play 2 slashers (Odom, Wade) and three shooters (Grant, Jones, Butler). SO whenever you collapse into the lane, you leave a very good shooter open around the perimeter. There is really nobody you can leave on defense and feel safe about it.

Roy Munson
04-27-2004, 07:05 PM
I think we'll see a lot of Freddie Jones guarding Wade in the next series. Freddie will do a good job against him.

Who will guard Odom? Will it be Artest, or will they put him on Wade? It will be interesting to see how things work out.

Actually, we should ask Greg Popo*****. He'll probably tell us that Artest will be guarding Miami's weakest player.

PaceBalls
04-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Jeff will be on Odom. JO on BGrant most the time I imagine. Lamar is a 7'er, I doubt we see Artest on him except for switches. Of course, we may end up with the Hornets still.

Kstat
04-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Jeff will be on Odom. JO on BGrant most the time I imagine. Lamar is a 7'er, I doubt we see Artest on him except for switches. Of course, we may end up with the Hornets still.

Foster on Odom would be a nightmare. Odom is way too quick.

Ron should and will guard Odom.

PaceBalls
04-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Ron gives up alot of height to Lamar... which is why I was doubtful about that matchup. It will be a tough series, strange matchups, of course we have some strange matchup problems for them too.. ala Jonathan Bender.

About Jeff, why is it every Piston fan always underates Jeff? He is a fantastic defender, and is athletic as all get out.

Kstat
04-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Ron gives up alot of height to Lamar... which is why I was doubtful about that matchup. It will be a tough series, strange matchups, of course we have some strange matchup problems for them too.. ala Jonathan Bender.

About Jeff, why is it every Piston fan always underates Jeff? He is a fantastic defender, and is athletic as all get out.

Odom would leave FOster dead in his tracks.quickness-wise Foster would get killed, and its not as if he can block Odom at the rim.

NOBODY in the NBA is a good matchup for Odom, but at least Ron can cut off Odom's driving lanes.

Hicks
04-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Jeff is quick enough to guard Odom; especially in the paint where Odom will only post him anyway.

If he was such a slug Pierce would have blown by him, but he didn't.

Kstat
04-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Jeff is quick enough to guard Odom; especially in the paint where Odom will only post him anyway.

Funny, I don't recall Foster ever guarding Pierce out on the perimeter..... :rolleyes:

Hicks
04-27-2004, 08:22 PM

Funny, I don't recall Foster ever guarding Pierce out on the perimeter..... :rolleyes:

You didn't watch game 2 then. It wasn't pretty, but Jeff didn't get blown by, either. He did however, buy a pump fake. :(

Snickers
04-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Foster did guard Pierce on a few occasions, but only when the D rotated as such. I don't remember his being assigned to him.

He never let him get to the rim, but when does Pierce ever get to the rim anyway, at least without dribbling off his foot? :uhoh:

PaceBalls
04-27-2004, 08:24 PM
I guess we pacer fans pay closer attention to the pacer games. cause I recall a few times PP was iso'd on Jeff. Jeff won...

Anyway, IF the Heat get by NO, then we will find out.

Unclebuck
04-27-2004, 11:26 PM
Foster was assigned to guard Pierce in the 3rd quarter of game #2. AL guaded him the whole first half, and for some reason the coahcing staff must not have liked the job he did because Reggie started on him in the 3rd quarter, then Foster played him for about 5 possessions (you might remember a terrible call on a Pierce three point shot. Foster did a nice job on Pierce.

I think Odom is a tough cover for anyone, but I think Jeff can do fairly well on him.

My guess is Jeff will start on Odom, then we'll see some of AL on him, and maybe some of Artest.

Shade
04-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Bender on Odom.

You heard it here first.

PaceBalls
04-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Ya, but Bender is only gettin like 15 mins a game. He is their secret weapon when the other team puts their bench in to rest the starters. I have no doubt tho that Bender will be guarding Lamar when they are both on the court together. Probably Croshere too. Lamar is almost 7" so they need the big guys on him.

Did you all see those amazing crossovers and dribbling skills he showed on a couple moves driving towards the bucket from the 3pt line? Amazing. I really like Lamar's game. You just dont find guys that tall with those skills.

Shade
04-27-2004, 11:50 PM
I really like Lamar's game. You just dont find guys that tall with those skills.

*coughbendercough*

:)

TheSauceMaster
04-28-2004, 12:12 AM
because people on this forum love to put the cart before the horse , according to a majority on here there are no need to play the other rounds cause we have already won the finals and are champions :laugh:

Shade
04-28-2004, 12:13 AM
because people on this forum love to put the cart before the horse , according to a majority on here there are no need to play the other rounds cause we have already won the finals and are champions :laugh:

Hey, works for me. :champions: :cool:

Peck
04-28-2004, 02:40 AM
I'm down on my knees praying that Miami wins this thing.

N.O. is going to be a *****. It's not that they are better than us, it's just that they match up better with us than Miami does.

Brown & Magloure in particular worry me. They beat us the last two times we played them & in the first time we matched up this season West blew a wide open layup at the buzzer to lose the game for them.

As to who will guard Odom. In the regular season it was Foster on him for most of the time he was on the floor & then it would switch to Al.

Ron will probably be assigned to Haslam/Butler. But I think Ron would give Lamar fits because of his physical play.

Southside_Pacer
04-28-2004, 02:48 AM
We can establish a few things from the Heat/Hornets series:

a) The Heat SUCK on the road, but are pretty good at home, thus I feel the Heat will eventually win this series. Homecourt will make all the difference in the world.

b) The Hornets have talent, yet are poorly coached. I think they'll lose by ten or more on the road at Miami in Game 5.

c) I wanna face the Heat.

d) New Orleans will not win if it's Baron Davis all by himself. Augmon isn't going to score 17 each night to help him out.

Unclebuck
04-28-2004, 08:59 AM

a) The Heat SUCK on the road, but are pretty good at home, thus I feel the Heat will eventually win this series. Homecourt will make all the difference in the world.

b) The Hornets have talent, yet are poorly coached. I think they'll lose by ten or more on the road at Miami in Game 5.

d) New Orleans will not win if it's Baron Davis all by himself. Augmon isn't going to score 17 each night to help him out.

I agree with everyone of those points

Suaveness
04-28-2004, 01:49 PM

There are people in those points? :confused:

Hicks
04-28-2004, 04:49 PM

This is grammar school? :confused: :idea:

sc
04-28-2004, 05:28 PM

That is being way too nice. Wade has no outside shot, keep him outside and he will be useless.

PaceBalls
04-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Wade reminds me of Artest alot, just a shorter version and is a bit quicker, maybe a better comparison would be Fred, but I mention Artest because Wade has some of that tenacity. He is REALLY strong, and one of the most amazing athletes in the game. I really dont know if I wanna see the Pacers face the Heat. I think they got as good a chance as anyone at beatin the Pacers. They seem to matchup worse with NO than they would with us.

It is not just Dwayne though, Rafer/skip is a great player, Lamar will be near JO's level by next year. Brian Grant is a steady vet. Kinda like AD cept he can hit those shots. Then of course there is Eddie Jones, the highest paid, and probably the worst player out of that group, but still a great player. The Heats only weakness is there bench, which should give the advantage to the Pacers.

Suaveness
04-28-2004, 11:06 PM

This is grammar school? :confused: :idea:

Maybe :rolleyes: :flirt: