PDA

View Full Version : League Update 10-15

Jose Slaughter
10-15-2006, 02:40 AM
Well guys, to be honest I have absolutly no clue as to what's going on.

From what I can gather, Able & some people that he knows are in the process of setting up a site for us to play. The effort put into this project is much appreciated because it is not something that is in their job description. Its something they're working on when they can, at zero cost to us.

However, I have no idea what this process is or how far along they are. I'm still waiting on Able for an update & some type of time line as to when we'll be up & running.

I've been in contact with Displaced Knick as well. For those new here, DK is the commish of our sister league. They are sharing this site because many of us are in both leagues. In an ideal world Able will have the site up in a day or two & all will be right with the world.

If at all possible I'd like to keep both leagues on the same site. It would be much easier that way. I guess its the "we ride together" syndome. I already have a league created on NBA.com, have joined one on Fan Star & have had a request to look into CBS Sports.

As of this moment we're still undecided on what direction we're going.

Like I said before, best case would be the Able created site. After that it comes down to what Displaced Knick & I can agree on.

I think we'll have to decide by Wednesday, at the latest, on what we want to do & hopefully start our draft this coming Saturday, October 21st.

More info as I get it.

Thanks

able
10-15-2006, 06:08 AM
I posted something in another post, I am waiting and expectin decent iupdates today (I need to talk to him, the main coder)

I like(d) what I saw on NBA (close to same options as ws) and know that CBS is something like £ 150 a year or so

will report back later today.

able
10-15-2006, 10:03 AM
OK. there is a time you can do things, there is a time you can't

I have spend most of my day till now talking to the development team (wow all of 3 ppl ) and testing the database (Oracle) setup.

Good part was that all players and stats were there, and that most "toys" were there, the counting "sort of" works, but that is it.

We discussed this at length and emphasise length because a lot more questions came along while talking, and one of the ones that climched things for us was, do we want to do this right or just do it.
I think you will all agree there is a great difference between the two and well considering the time we are spending on it and the time needed if we want to do it "right" is simply out of proportion for "just doing it", so we want to do it right, meaning creating a product we can "use" for more then just ourselves.

No matter what we try (unless I spend an inordinate amount of money on it, which I haven't got) there is simply no way we can have a fully functioning site ready by Nov 1. at least not to a degree that re-codes, trouble-shooting and such do not influence the play that is going on.
If we work on it, the contents of the database are at risk and running several databases is part of the plan, but an investment I am not prepared to make before it is running competely.
So in short; we will not be operationial in time for the competition.
However, we will continue the work and invite certain people over at certain times in the season to "form a team" and play in a mock competition, based upon the real thing.
We need your help (and ask you to play the same team as you are in the real league) to compare times, scores, etc and if our "feed" works and our updates on scores (we are aiming for as muich as possible live scores) etc.

If all tests thoughout the season are working well, then we can do some "fine-tuning" and "looks" work over the summer and open for real on the 1st of October next year.

Of course you will all be invited to play (and for free!)

In fact we intent to keep the site for rfee anyway but with "some" advertising (minimal as I personally hate that ****)

So sorry for falling short, but in due course I will make up for it.

Now to top if off, there is another "experiment" I was running with another KL that I was playing in but now seems to have died, which is a "community" site.
A so-called "tiki-wiki" site that holds not only the data from the "play site" but also internal forum, blogs, chat, gallery etc.

Any league interested can be setup on it, and I will open that up if you guys want.

let me know.

and once more, sorry for not getting it done this season.

Doug
10-15-2006, 05:07 PM
sorry for not getting it done this season.No worries. I know how hard this sort of thing is and thought that was pretty aggressive, especially for the quality of site you were shooting for.

Thanks again for the effort, and your continuing "above and beyond" support.

Los Angeles
10-15-2006, 05:25 PM
I second the thanks from Doug - I think it's better to go with a software that works for sure while you take the time to iron out bugs etc.

I look forward to next year, though :eyebrow: .

Thanks to everytone for doing the hard work!

DrBadd01
10-15-2006, 06:17 PM
Indeed. Thank you Able for all you do.

burnzone
10-15-2006, 06:57 PM
I will also add a thank you to Able, it definitely would be better to be done right, than to just 'be done', so if you get it to where you're satisfied with its functionality by next season, that would be great also.

I'm sure I can speak for about everyone involved in the league, to say we appreciate you putting some of your time towards working on this.

bulldog
10-15-2006, 07:11 PM
I second (or third, or fourth...) all of the thanks.

But as for this season, what do we do now? Scrap it? Yahoo?

BostonConnection
10-15-2006, 10:20 PM
I agree with the sentiments echoed by the others. Having some experience myself with the software development process, I know that these things are a major undertaking, and I think the decision not to go forward with a partially functional fantasy site is a wise one. Able, thanks for 'giving it the old college try', as they say.

Regarding the fantasy league site we will go with, as I'm willing to go along with whatever choices Jose and DK decide to use. I'm sure it'll be a little slow going for those of us comfortable with the old site, but I guess that'll make things a little more challenging this fantasy league season.

SycamoreKen
10-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Thanks Able. I echo the words that appreciate your work on this.