PDA

View Full Version : I got an interview today with none other than Danny Granger..(Q&A inside)

Gervin2Granger
10-15-2006, 12:04 AM
Hey guys I can't really share how I got the chance to meet DG but it was after the shoot-around this morning. Anyways I thought I'd share it with you guys/girls.

You’ve been compared to the legendary Scottie Pippen before. What was it like for you last season to not even had played in a game and already be compared to one of the greatest players ever?
It was a great compliment to me to know that I was being compared to him because I play hard every game and I sort of play like him, so I guess that’s why I draw the comparison.
You’re listed as a 6’8” at small forward. However, you are versatile because you can also play shooting guard and power forward. What skills, basketball wise, do you feel gives you this versatility?
I think my speed because I’m quick enough to guard a two (shooting guard), quick enough to be a three (small forward) and definitely quick enough for a four. I think that’s the most difference in those positions is those players are fast and I just think I’m quick enough to play all three.
After playing basically the sixth to the eighth man last season you now have a starting role. What is it like for to get the chance to prove yourself and receive more play time?
I mean it’s a great opportunity for me. I think I have to take advantage of it as much as possible. Like you said I’ll be starting now and I’ll have a lot more time on the court and I just have to take advantage of it.
There are a lot of new players on this season’s roster, but outside of Al Harrington and Marquis Daniels who do you feel will surprise fans the most and play better than expected?
I think Shawne Williams, our rookie, he’s very talented. He should get some time off the bench. I think he’ll play better than expected.
Many people do not know this but you actually helped out some of your relatives last year who were affected by Hurricane Katrina. Can you sum up exactly what you did to help them and maybe others?
I did donate, but it was a different type. I am directly from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Orleans</st1:place></st1:City>, so I thought instead of donating to some charity I donated to my family because I have so much family there. I just basically gave a lot of money to them to help them rebuild and stuff.
What is your favorite career moment from a basketball standpoint?
Probably playing in the playoffs for the first time. You know some players rarely get to play in them in there career. I think getting to experience that my first year was a good feeling.
What was the biggest “welcome to the NBA” moment for you last year?
We were playing <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Miami</st1:City></st1:place> on TNT and I got switched up and had to guard Shaq for a couple possessions. (Laughs) That was it right there. I was just in awe regarding Shaq cause I had watched him play for so long, I mean Shaquille O’Neal you know. I was right up against him playing and that was just my “welcome to the NBA” moment.
Ron Artest said last season that you were a future all-star. With a larger role on this year’s team do you think you will be able to prove that?
Definitely, I think I’ll be able to prove it. If not this year then next year and if not that year then the next. I’m still young. It’s only my second year so I definitely think I’ll be able to prove that.
What would you say is the hardest part of transitioning from the NCAA to the NBA?
The speed of the game is a lot faster and the players are a lot stronger. You got to remember a lot of plays, more than in college. The rigorous training that we have to go thru and keep your body in shape for just 82 games is just pretty hard.
You were almost a sure top ten pick in every mock draft last year, but feel to the 17<SUP>th</SUP> pick. What was going thru your mind when none of the lottery teams selected you?
I just told myself I’ll have to play against them, so I circled that game.
So you played with somewhat of a chip on your shoulder?
Absolutely.
If you wouldn’t have become a professional basketball player what would your career have been?
I would have been a civil engineer building bridges and road, designing different things. That was my major in college. I was always into numbers and science and math, so I figured engineering I could make some money.
What is the main difference between this year’s team and last year’s team?
I think we are a little more cohesive this year. Players get along really well and guys are similar, which allows us to bond on and off the court.

sweabs
10-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Excellent interview. Thanks for posting.

10-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Awesome, thanks!

grace
10-15-2006, 03:50 PM
You should send the interview to Dan Patrick so he can see what a real interview should sound like.

Pacesetter
10-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Awesome, thanks!

PacerPerspective
10-15-2006, 10:44 PM
How did you manage this? I've been trying to get an interview for RealGM with DG for about a year now...:censored:

Good job though....;)

RamBo_Lamar
10-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Very nice - thank you for sharing that.

Danny Granger is a real bright spot for the Pacers, and one of the best
things to happen in recent memory.

LG33
10-16-2006, 08:34 AM
I knew a guy who knew a guy who got a really good interview in with Danny Granger...oh, wait, that was you.

Gyron
10-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Great interview. I think you have afuture in journalism.

Maybe you could be the new Pacer's PR person when Conrad retires.....

imawhat
10-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Thank you for sharing your interview!

Ron Artest said last season that you were a future all-star. With a larger role on this year’s team do you think you will be able to prove that?Definitely, I think I’ll be able to prove it. If not this year then next year and if not that year then the next. I’m still young. It’s only my second year so I definitely think I’ll be able to prove that.

I love his confidence and drive. That's what sets him apart from a lot of other players.