PDA

View Full Version : Car registered to Jermaine O'Neal is impounded - drugs found

Unclebuck
10-13-2006, 10:55 PM
http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5538654

Indianapolis police pulled over a black Chevrolet Tahoe around Fall Creek and MLK around 5 pm Friday. They say the window tinting was too dark.

Once the officer got close enough, he smelled marijuana. Upon inspection, the officer found pot shavings on the passenger seat.

Police arrested Michael Williams, who was driving the vehicle. The vehicle was registered to Jermaine O'Neal of the Pacers. O'Neal was not, however, in the vehicle.

ABADays
10-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Good grief - where is that other shoe?

Kstat
10-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a big deal at all. JO wasn't even in the car, and nobody really cares about weed anyhow.

However, the timing of this really sucks for JO.

This is pretty much what the trailblazers have gone through for the last 6 years.

Not one big defining incident per se, but a ton of little ones every other day.

Jaydawg2270
10-13-2006, 10:58 PM
ok this looks really bad for us

Unclebuck
What in the world is going on

Bball
So now the Pacers' cars are getting in the act...

-Bball

FireTheCoach
10-13-2006, 10:59 PM
This is going to be one hell of a season.

Unclebuck
10-13-2006, 11:00 PM
It is on all three local newscasts.

JO says he doesn't even drive the vehicle.

Oregon license plate

JO was home when all this occurred.

Vehicle purchased 5 years ago. And gave it to his friend.

If I were JO I'd be charged with Assault after I beat up my friend

Bball
10-13-2006, 11:01 PM
What are "pot shavings"?

Are things like this signs that the Pacers have used up their benefit of the doubt cards as well as their get out of jail free cards (or their 'we need to bury this' card)? IOW... all the bad press (and bad blood) over the past couple of years has led to a more watchful eye and no breaks?

BTW... If the story ends where it's at now I don't see much problem for JO here. OTOH, I do wonder about this story making 'news' the way it is (in regards to my question above).

-Bball

Jaydawg2270
10-13-2006, 11:03 PM
It is on all three local newscasts.

JO says he doesn't even drive the vehicle.

Oregon license plate

JO was home when all this occurred.

Vehicle purchased 5 years ago. And gave it to his friend.

If I were JO I'd be charged with Assault after I beat up my friend

things dont sound so bad at all, nothing bad should come out of this

SoupIsGood
10-13-2006, 11:04 PM
stupid media

rexnom
10-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Ok, Oregon license plates...I'm not worried. But like Kstat said, this is starting to become eerily reminscent of the Blazers. Crap just kept piling on for them...like it is with us.

Unclebuck
10-13-2006, 11:05 PM
things dont sound so bad at all, nothing bad should come out of this

Yes I agree but a week ago many if us were saying the same thing about the Club Rio incident. The way things are going, who knows what may come of this. Seriously

!Pacers-Fan!
10-13-2006, 11:06 PM
r u serius?

Kegboy
10-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Oh you've got to be ****ting me.

I swear this has got to be the real basketball gods paying Larry back for that "basketball Jesus" nonsense. Only way to explain it. :suicide5:

Unclebuck
10-13-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm worried about what is next.

Jermaniac
10-13-2006, 11:08 PM
This is nothing, Jermaine isnt stupid he will not be caught up in something stupid off the court.

Unclebuck
10-13-2006, 11:11 PM
This is nothing, Jermaine isnt stupid he will not be caught up in something stupid off the court.

He needs to be more careful about who he gives cars to

rexnom
10-13-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm worried about what is next.
For now, just don't worry too much about it. Also, in the end, one thing you can rely on with this team is Jermaine O'Neal. The guy is not going to put this team in jeopardy. His choice of friends is questionable...but then again, the man is buddies with Bonzi Wells.

Jermaniac
10-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Like I said this is nothing, and Jermaine wont have to do **** but say I bought the car for a friend and its not mine anymore.

Unclebuck
10-13-2006, 11:13 PM
http://wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=5538777&ClientType=Printable
Man driving Jermaine O'Neal's SUV arrested for marijuana

Oct 13, 2006 10:12 PM EST

SUV registered to Jermaine O'Neal

Rick Ramirez/wthr.com

Indianapolis - Police impounded a sport utility vehicle that belongs to Pacers star Jermaine O'Neal Friday night.

Investigators say the SUV was pulled over because the window tinting was too dark. When an officer approached the vehicle, he detected a marijuana odor.

Police arrested the driver Mike Williams, who says he borrowed the vehicle from someone who O'Neal loaned it to.

The SUV is registered to Jermaine O'Neal with Oregon plates. O'Neal was traded to the Pacers from Portland.

Eyewitness News' Rich Nye spoke to O'Neal by telephone Friday night. O'Neal says this has nothing to do with him and that he will "take the SUV back and give it to someone who really needs it."

Williams was also operating the vehicle on a suspended license.

Jermaniac
10-13-2006, 11:15 PM
http://wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=5538777&ClientType=Printable
Dude borrowed the car from someone Jermaine gave it to, this is 3rd generation I dont give a ****. Like I said nothing, the media just wants to start stuff.

Unclebuck
10-13-2006, 11:15 PM
For now, just don't worry too much about it. Also, in the end, one thing you can rely on with this team is Jermaine O'Neal. The guy is not going to put this team in jeopardy. His choice of friends is questionable...but then again, the man is buddies with Bonzi Wells.

I'm scared to death to talk to anyone or turn the news on. That is just the way I feel right now. How can you blame me

rexnom
10-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm scared to death to talk to anyone or turn the news on. That is just the way I feel right now. How can you blame me
Unfortunately I can't. I just try to be positive. I feel like the type of basketball we'll be playing this season will come as a panacea. As long as we get to actually playing it.

Jaydawg2270
10-13-2006, 11:21 PM
espn will find a way to make this look bad

Unclebuck
10-13-2006, 11:22 PM
OK, these appears to be no big deal. Should I change the thread title, I always hate logging on and seeing titles like this (although it is technically true, it my not be 100% accurate) But I don't know what I should change it to. (I wouldn't want to give any Pacers fans a heart attack.

I'm taking suggestions on a new thread title.

ajbry
10-13-2006, 11:22 PM

Just like "Jackson Fires Gun outside Strip Club", this will be "Drugs found in Jermaine O'Neal's car."

Of course this is going to look bad. Damn.

Jermaniac
10-13-2006, 11:23 PM

"Jermaine O'Neals Truck Found With Weed In It"

Then they will write an article naming every little thing Jermaine did bad.

At the end of the article in one point font they will write "Jermaine wasnt anywhere near this vehicle and he gave it to a friend 5 years ago."

ABADays
10-13-2006, 11:23 PM
If I'm giving a car to someone I'm making damn sure the title change and plates are getting taken care of. This was a huge liability possibility to overlook.

Unclebuck
10-13-2006, 11:24 PM
OK, I changed the thread title, I think that is a little better

vapacersfan
10-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Just like "Jackson Fires Gun outside Strip Club", this will be "Drugs found in Jermaine O'Neal's car."

Of course this is going to look bad. Damn.

What is wrong with that headline? It is factual, no?

But yes, this is a whole lot of nothing.

Unclebuck
10-13-2006, 11:26 PM
If I'm giving a car to someone I'm making damn sure the title change and plates are getting changed. This was a huge liability possibility to overlook.

JO was paying for the insurance also. I guess when you make $16 Million per year you don't care about stuff like this.

rexnom
10-13-2006, 11:30 PM
If I'm giving a car to someone I'm making damn sure the title change and plates are getting taken care of. This was a huge liability possibility to overlook.
Do you have a posse of 80 people mooching off of you all wanting SUVs?

ABADays
10-13-2006, 11:30 PM
JO was paying for the insurance also. I guess when you make $16 Million per year you don't care about stuff like this.

If the vehicle had been in a serious accident, JO's would be the deep pockets they were looking for.

Los Angeles
10-13-2006, 11:31 PM
This crap will hang over the franchise for years.

I HATE being the enemy.

ABADays
10-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Do you have a posse of 80 people mooching off of you all wanting SUVs?

Call me dense but I don't understand the question.

Jermaniac
10-13-2006, 11:36 PM
This crap will hang over the franchise for years.

I HATE being the enemy.What crap? What are you blabbering about, stop *****ing for one time in your life. What does this have to do with the franchise? A person Jermaine doesnt even know is driving a SUV Jermaine gave to his friend and this will hang over the franchise. Fix your face.

Lord Helmet
10-13-2006, 11:40 PM
I'd have to say this is more of the media trying to kick us when we're down...

rexnom
10-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Call me dense but I don't understand the question.
Jermaine probably has people approaching him every week telling him that they're childhood friends or something, asking for things. If they get those things, they leave him alone. If they don't, all of a sudden he's lost touch and isn't "real" anymore.

I imagine JO just lets some people join his "posse" or "entourage" so that he doesn't have to bother with them.

Naptown_Seth
10-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Um, so if one of the 100 women in Oprah's audience get pulled over in the car she gave them does that give her a black eye?

Unless this "gave it to him" story is total BS this is a non-story.

It's not the giving part that's the problem anyway, it's the giving but keeping it registered in his name part of it. But when your mega-rich and have an entourage of friends this ends up being how it gets done. Your "family" gets bigger.

And JO's pockets are only going to be as deep as his incorporated self lets them be. If he's smart his money is kept away from where it can be considered part of his personal estate for suits like car wrecks and "I fell on your front lawn" crap.

At the end of the article in one point font they will write "Jermaine wasnt anywhere near this vehicle and he gave it to a friend 5 years ago."Yep.

You know what needs to be done...DNA TESTING OF THOSE SHAVINGS. No stone unturned, right Brizzi. Spare no expense, put detectives on OT, I don't mind the tax increase on my next Center Township bill. I need those stoners stopped before they clear out the China Buffet 10 minutes before I get there. :mad:

:devil:

Frank Slade
10-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Well the AP wire has already picked it up....

Man driving Jermaine O'Neal's SUV arrested on marijuana charge

October 13, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- .......
"O'Neal's name is just getting dragged through the mud because some yahoo borrowed the car and decided to smoke some marijuana," (Sgt. Matthew)Mount said.

The incident happened two days after Pacers guard Stephen Jackson was charged with a felony count of criminal recklessness and two other charges for firing a handgun during a fight involving three Pacers teammates and others outside an Indianapolis strip club last week.

O'Neal told The Associated Press he did not know the person who was driving the SUV.

"It's not a car that I drive at any time. It's not a car that I keep at my house. It's not a car that I ride in," O'Neal said Friday night. "Today's my birthday, and I'm in the middle of opening presents and get a phone call about one of my cars being towed. I'm like, `All my cars are here."'

Updated on Friday, Oct 13, 2006 11:33 pm EDT

Yahoo.com (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-pacers-oneal&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Jermaniac
10-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Yeah Jermaine was opening his presents and all of a sudden we hear the police calling the house, and the whole house went silent like WTF.

JayRedd
10-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Unless this "gave it to him" story is total BS this is a non-story.

Of course it's a non-story. And thank God for the MLB Playoffs and NFL Sunday. This should get buried pretty deep on the headline list.

But the story will still have Jermaine ONeal and marijuana in the headline. And sloppy sportswriters will nonchalantly include the fact that this came just one week after the incident from Club Rio. And for a bunch of casual people that only read headlines and hear second hand innuendos from PTI, Sportscenter and the like, the two incidents will be linked and it's just one more negative thing that people will mention when talking about our Pacers.

One incident is unfortunate: The Brawl
Two incidents is a connection: Rio
Three incidents becomes a trend: JO/Weed nonstory

It shouldn't be that way...But if you think about the Trailblazers or other speculative assumptions that become "realities" in public opinion, this is how it happens. First Isiah Rider gets caught with weed. Then Stoudamire gets caught with weed. Then Sheed leads the league in techs. Then Qyntel Woods gets caught fighting pitbulls.

We obviously have some work to do to catch up to Portland. But in the world of public opinion, this unfortunately won't be looked at as "Well if you look at the facts, it clearly has nothing to do with Jermaine O'Neal or the Pacers organization." It will be seen as "Hahahhahaha....Look at what kinda **** these Pacers are into now."

It sucks...but once you get a reputation, you're presumed guilty by most of the public---regardless of facts.

aceace
10-14-2006, 12:12 AM
What crap? What are you blabbering about, stop *****ing for one time in your life. What does this have to do with the franchise? A person Jermaine doesnt even know is driving a SUV Jermaine gave to his friend and this will hang over the franchise. Fix your face.I agree with your comment. He wasn't in the vehicle and the vehicle was loaned to another friend who loaned it to another. The stories are all about ratings and selling commercials on TV. If I was in JOs place and this story didn't die quickly I would just tell 6,8 and 13 to kiss my *** if they ever wanted another interview.

naptown
10-14-2006, 12:15 AM

By saying you need to get a life outside of Pacer basketball.....

Julius Sour
10-14-2006, 01:54 AM
Bad bad bad Behaviour.
Half a team needs treatment. Shrink treatment.
I hope Runi is not going to become "gangbang pothead bling bling who's the Man" type a guy under such an influence.
Danny, too.

pitty.

JS

jjbjjbjjb
10-14-2006, 02:07 AM
The War on Some Drugs claims another victim...

Meanwhile, lots of rich white men got wasted on their drug of choice, alcohol, tonight. No charges were filed.

Mr. Pink
10-14-2006, 02:44 AM
haha, just got back from a party and I read this. JO, I love you man.

rexnom
10-14-2006, 03:23 AM

Meanwhile, lots of rich white men got wasted on their drug of choice, alcohol, tonight. No charges were filed.
"Drug dealer buy Jordans, crackhead buy crack
And a white man get paid off of all of that"

It's a beautiful world.

Kstat
10-14-2006, 03:52 AM

You have to be rich to enjoy alcohol, or white for that matter?

News to me.

tinsley#11
10-14-2006, 04:01 AM
when does it stop?

jjbjjbjjb
10-14-2006, 04:51 AM
You have to be rich to enjoy alcohol, or white for that matter?

News to me.

I absolutely did not say that. Perhaps you should consider taking a course in elementary logic...

aero
10-14-2006, 06:15 AM
sweet jesus when will it end....man oh man

RamBo_Lamar
10-14-2006, 08:16 AM
These Pacers need to start doing a better job picking their "freinds".
First Tinsley with this "Rumal" character, now this???

If JO gave this vehicle to this guy, why didn't he sign over the title???

What the hell is wrong with these knuckleheads??? Toooo much money
leads to toooo little brains I guess...

I'll bet LB, DW, and the Simons feel like they're on pins and needles
right now...

lumber man
10-14-2006, 08:23 AM
if it's true that he didn't even know the guy (friend of a friend) or whatever, how in the world can we point a finger at J.O.? what's wrong with plating and insuring a car for a friend who might not otherwise be able to afford to do so himself? he got bit on the tail on this one, but i'm sure he'll be more careful in the future.

Hicks
10-14-2006, 08:33 AM
This seems to be nothing.

OneHappyFan
10-14-2006, 09:07 AM
This is a total:bs2: story

It's a shame the media will spin it to kick us while we're down.

Skaut_Ech
10-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Of course it's a non-story. And thank God for the MLB Playoffs and NFL Sunday. This should get buried pretty deep on the headline list.

But the story will still have Jermaine ONeal and marijuana in the headline. And sloppy sportswriters will nonchalantly include the fact that this came just one week after the incident from Club Rio. And for a bunch of casual people that only read headlines and hear second hand innuendos from PTI, Sportscenter and the like, the two incidents will be linked and it's just one more negative thing that people will mention when talking about our Pacers.

One incident is unfortunate: The Brawl
Two incidents is a connection: Rio
Three incidents becomes a trend: JO/Weed nonstory

It shouldn't be that way...But if you think about the Trailblazers or other speculative assumptions that become "realities" in public opinion, this is how it happens. First Isiah Rider gets caught with weed. Then Stoudamire gets caught with weed. Then Sheed leads the league in techs. Then Qyntel Woods gets caught fighting pitbulls.

We obviously have some work to do to catch up to Portland. But in the world of public opinion, this unfortunately won't be looked at as "Well if you look at the facts, it clearly has nothing to do with Jermaine O'Neal or the Pacers organization." It will be seen as "Hahahhahaha....Look at what kinda **** these Pacers are into now."

It sucks...but once you get a reputation, you're presumed guilty by most of the public---regardless of facts.

Q.F.T.

ChicagoJ
10-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Eh, why not?

Jermaniac
10-14-2006, 11:26 AM
"I want people to know I have no connection and the Indiana Pacers have nothing to do with this incident," he said. "All the cars I buy for friends or family members are in my name. That's the only connection I have with this; the car in my name. I bought my friend the car to help him out, but it's obvious he's not responsible enough to handle that."

O'Neal, the face of the Pacers' franchise, contacted local media Friday night so the incident doesn't get "blown up into something it shouldn't."

"This community is very important to me," he said. "Basketball is only a game. How I'm perceived as a person is more important."

One of the many reasons why Jermaine is God.

pizza guy
10-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah, this is a complete non-story. A guy who got the car from a guy who got the car from JO...that's very little to make a story out of. But just because we're in the middle of the Rio mess, this "has" to be printed. It's a bunch of nothing, and it's a shame JO has to get dragged into this.

rexnom
10-14-2006, 12:13 PM
"I want people to know I have no connection and the Indiana Pacers have nothing to do with this incident," he said. "All the cars I buy for friends or family members are in my name. That's the only connection I have with this; the car in my name. I bought my friend the car to help him out, but it's obvious he's not responsible enough to handle that."

O'Neal, the face of the Pacers' franchise, contacted local media Friday night so the incident doesn't get "blown up into something it shouldn't."

"This community is very important to me," he said. "Basketball is only a game. How I'm perceived as a person is more important."

One of the many reasons why Jermaine is God.
I agree 100%. This is part of the reason why JO is my favorite player. Fantastic.

RamBo_Lamar
10-14-2006, 01:01 PM
The local media has gone into a feeding frenzy when it comes to reporting
any little thing that can be tied to the Pacers in any way.

They know alot of folks are hypersensitive about the Pacers right now, and
are keeping a close eye watching the news to see what is going to happen
next.

At this point, I just hope that Donnie Walsh doesn't get himself arrested after
having a shootout with police, who find a meth lab in back of his car, after
robbing a convenience store at 4:00 in the morning.

:jawdrop:

sportsmusicxboxpacer
10-14-2006, 01:24 PM
it all will come to pass just play some basketball yall enough media bull crap let get move on starting with jazz tonight!

RWB
10-14-2006, 02:25 PM
No big deal but I do hope the players look at something like this as a wake up call.

Pay attention to who your friends are. If they use bad judgement that brings up your name then are they really your friends? I don't think so because a real friend appreciates you and would be considerate (ie; not loan your vehicle to a third party and not smoke weed in that same vehicle).

Additionally get someone to manage everday things. A wife or someone you trust to have your best interest at heart. Mom and dad are usually pretty good at this. Players need this more than we know with some of these guys finances in terrible shape. A certain poster who posts occasionally had some pretty good knowledge and opinions on this (yes he is legit, where you been hiding BM?).

ABADays
10-14-2006, 02:32 PM
To be fair here - nothing was reported that wasn't straight fact. One can read any implication they want into it but it was fair reporting. Do I believe JO? Sure, I do. I think JO is a stand-up guy. But just like I and others have stated on this thread, as a player in his position, he can't let things like this fall through the cracks. He leaves himself open to all sorts of garbage - just like this.

Kraft
10-14-2006, 04:10 PM
One can read any implication they want into it but it was fair reporting.

Still a matter of opinion.

Fair reporting includes the decision to report at all. If one thinks the Jermaine O'Neal connection is enough to report, fine. That's an opinion. If not, we should probably write stories on everyone that was arrested for the same transgression.

Naptown_Seth
10-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Still a matter of opinion.

Fair reporting includes the decision to report at all. If one thinks the Jermaine O'Neal connection is enough to report, fine. That's an opinion. If not, we should probably write stories on everyone that was arrested for the same transgression.
I agree.

Stories, like facts within a story, have just as much impact by being left as they do by being left in. What and when a story is reported gives it an angle just as much as the facts. Even the choice of wording impacts the meaning of a story.

The idea that simply having facts listed correctly is "fair reporting" is extremely naive.

ABADays
10-14-2006, 04:40 PM
I agree.

Stories, like facts within a story, have just as much impact by being left as they do by being left in. What and when a story is reported gives it an angle just as much as the facts. Even the choice of wording impacts the meaning of a story.

The idea that simply having facts listed correctly is "fair reporting" is extremely naive.

Well I'm not naive and I don't necessarily disagree with the assessments. I suppose when I heard it it didn't bother me that much because of what I beliee about JO. I did feel like he really left himself open to a lot of other things unrelated to pot being found.

Naptown_Seth
10-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Bad bad bad Behaviour.
Half a team needs treatment. Shrink treatment.
I hope Runi is not going to become "gangbang pothead bling bling who's the Man" type a guy under such an influence.
Danny, too.

pitty.

JS
Don't worry, he'll get cut long before that happens if his game doesn't get on track soon, as in not giving up the ball at the first sign of every HC trap.

Meanwhile, how pathetic is it that "fans" like JS make a post like when even the COPS think it's a non-story, and this fact was posted before JS's post.

"O'Neal's name is just getting dragged through the mud because some yahoo borrowed the car and decided to smoke some marijuana," (Sgt. Matthew)Mount said.

Still waiting on that Brizzi DNA testing announcement also.

DisplacedKnick
10-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Still waiting on that Brizzi DNA testing announcement also.

What DNA testing?

DisplacedKnick
10-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Well I'm not naive and I don't necessarily disagree with the assessments. I suppose when I heard it it didn't bother me that much because of what I beliee about JO. I did feel like he really left himself open to a lot of other things unrelated to pot being found.

Well, anyone famous does something it's getting reported. Anyone think some drunk guy shouting at the cops makes national news if it isn't Mel Gibson?

The issue with JO goes back to liability which someone mentioned. And I guess it doesn't matter to him but if someone wrecks a car on his insurance his rates go up. He has plenty of money for that but if enough wrecks happen and one or more results in something really bad (drunk guy runs over 3 teenagers or something) he could get into a situation where he couldn't get insurance - he can hire a driver I suppose but some 28-year-old guys just like to drive.

10-15-2006, 06:07 AM
Well, im not surprised! :unimpress Im sure JO had nothing do with it tho!