PDA

View Full Version : QOD: How Could Pacers Fill Void At Shooting Guard? {Pacers.com 10.13.06}

Raskolnikov
10-13-2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_061013.html

How Could Pacers Fill Void At Shooting Guard?

Friday, Oct. 13, 2006<hr> Q. With (Stephen) Jackson facing (possible) jail time in both Michigan and Indiana, it's clear he is going to be gone for awhile. But now there is a hole to fill at starting shooting guard because Larry Bird said that he brought Marquis (Daniels) here strictly as a backup. Despite that, I know it was his first NBA game, but James White only scored a couple points and a few rebounds in over 20 minutes on Wednesday. So what are we going to do at shooting guard? Is it a possibility (Jackson's) contract will be terminated? (From Jeremy in Indianapolis)

A. Though Jackson is facing some very serious legal issues, those are separate from team and league rules. Which means, in a nutshell, there's nothing keeping him from returning to the Pacers while the system runs its course. Because Jackson is presumed innocent until proven otherwise, he could be back at practice as soon as this afternoon and in uniform for Saturday's game against Utah in Conseco Fieldhouse, assuming he can do so without further risk to his stitched and swollen upper lip. Other NBA players have faced charges before and the normal course of action is to allow them to play until their legal status dictates otherwise, so I wouldn't expect the Pacers to deviate from precedent.

Realistically, at the very least there are going to be some disruptions to the rotation as he is required to make court appearances in Indianapolis and Michigan. Once his trial begins on Jan. 8, his availability will be at least limited. So there does need to be a Plan B in place for the shooting guard spot for those times. As for the long term, and the options that would be available to the team in a worst-case scenario for Jackson, we'll cross that bridge if it comes.

Once his hamstring heals, I suspect Daniels is the guy most likely to fill the starting spot when the need arises. Not only is he more experienced, he's been very productive in that role in the past with the Mavericks. Though not a 3-point threat, he's very good with the ball and knows how to finish.

White has a similar skill set and probably will get a long look during the preseason. Either Daniels or White would work well with the second unit because of the ability to interchange with Sarunas Jasikevicius. Come to think of it, Jasikevicius might make an interesting fill-in candidate because of his long-range shooting threat, although defensive issues would arise.

One other name to consider is Danny Granger, who started playing some shooting guard here and there late last season and did so for a few minutes against the Nets on Wednesday night. Starting Granger there would allow the possibility of a frontcourt of Al Harrington at small forward, Jermaine O'Neal at power forward and Jeff Foster at center. At the very least, that's an intriguing mix of size and skills. So as it becomes necessary to fill in while Jackson is otherwise options, the Pacers have numerous options.

Raskolnikov
10-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Don't forget Rawle Marshall, Conrad!

I thought he played a very good game against NJ. Decent jump shot, good drive, good dish off that drive, ok ball handling, overall good defense, 4 (!) blocked shots, good athletism.

Based on that one game, I'd really want him on our roster.

Los Angeles
10-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Conrad's been riding in Tinsley's passenger seat.

He's just throwing out names - including the bad ones - *cough*saras*cough* *cough*granger*cough*.

While we're at it, why don't we try JO at the 2, Bruno?

JayRedd
10-13-2006, 03:18 PM

Hahahhaha....good work

Will Galen
10-13-2006, 07:30 PM

He's just throwing out names - including the bad ones - *cough*saras*cough* *cough*granger*cough*.

While we're at it, why don't we try JO at the 2, Bruno?

That was a good one about Bruno riding with Tins. However, Bruno is not the one that has Grange and Saras play shooting guard, Rick is, and he's a very good coach!

Los Angeles
10-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Well, then they're both up in smoke.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-13-2006, 09:10 PM
We got Steve Jackson at the SG spot!!

sportsmusicxboxpacer
10-13-2006, 09:18 PM
i gut feeling jackson wont be on team once courts setttles in i feeling that jackson going away for while and pacers have prepare!!

Cornrows
10-13-2006, 10:16 PM
If Jack does go away, I'd love to see the young bucks get a chance. Marshall or Daniels would need to step up. Not like Jack is a consistent contributor. At times he'd be missed but in the long run these young guys could fill the void.

NashvilleKat
10-13-2006, 10:18 PM
I think Snap Hunter should be given some consideration at shooting guard. He's a scorer,,averaged over 30 points a game last year...granted it was minor league play, but he can still bomb from deep and get the ball in the basket with amazing frequency. Just a thought......