PDA

View Full Version : Turkish power Efes Pilsen no match for Warriors (ESPN.com)

RoboHicks
10-13-2006, 02:20 AM
Dajuan Wagner led seven players scoringin double figures Thursday as the Golden State Warriors rolled toan easy 120-66 preseason victory over Efes Pilsen of Turkey.

More... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2623475&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines)

jjbjjbjjb
10-13-2006, 02:38 AM
I think we can safely stop auto-posting articles about Marcus Haislip. :D

Kstat
10-13-2006, 05:07 AM
120-66 :laugh:

bellisimo
10-13-2006, 05:09 AM
reminds me of a Trailblazers Vs. Pacers game final score...

Eindar
10-13-2006, 05:32 AM
So, the Warriors are a middle of the road NBA team. Efes Pilsen made the Euroleague final four in 2000, and "narrowly missed the final four from 2002-2006", according to Wikipedia. I'd say this is clearly one of the better Euroleague clubs, assuming Wikipedia is right.

So, are we done with the comparisons? Please? Hell, at some point, I'd like to see a basketball equivalent of the Super Bowl between Euroleague and the NBA, but we're still a ways off from that, both from a rules as well as a competition standpoint.

denyfizle
10-13-2006, 05:39 AM
not a fair comparison. Runi-less Maccabe still beat the Raptors in Toronto last season. corz NBA teams are still better it's just that it's not fair to gauge Euro teams based on this game.

Eindar
10-13-2006, 06:26 AM
not a fair comparison. Runi-less Maccabe still beat the Raptors in Toronto last season. corz NBA teams are still better it's just that it's not fair to gauge Euro teams based on this game.

Of course not. How about the ****-poor Sixers vs. Euroleague powerhouse CSKA Moscow, then? Suns over Maccabi? Spurs over Maccabi? Suns over Roma? Spurs over Asvel (I know, they're terrible) Also, Clippers over BC Khimi? That's 6 wins for NBA clubs vs. 2 losses. The 2 losses were the Clippers getting beat in Moscow against CSKA Moscow, who I will say is the best Euro team I've seen, and might be competitive with the worst teams in the NBA in a 7 game series. The other loss was Philadelphia in their first game. I think that was the Philly players looking past Winterthur, in typical American fashion.

Given the stakes the Euro players were playing for (credibility, showcasing talent, pride) vs. the stakes the NBA players were playing for (preseason game #1), you can't sit there and say the two leagues are competitive, especially not top to bottom. Bottom to top might be more accurate, but I digress.

At least you guys have your pride.

caaprius
10-13-2006, 08:11 AM
okey, I was the one cheering for Barcelona's win over Sixers, so now I must give credit to NBA teams. Philly really dominated CSKA ir Cologne. Dalembert and his athletism was too good for any opponent, this guy in Europe would be a huge star. CSKA'a main PG Papaloukas got injured in first half, but this isnt an excuse.

didn't understand what Efes was doing in States. they are much worse than last year's squad but go overaseas and play NBA teams and lose by 56 pts.. shameful.

still.. Europeans won 2 games. few years ago European team winning agaisnt NBA team was as real as Kstat admiting that Team USA isnt the best in the world.

Jermaniac
10-13-2006, 10:19 AM
SLIP, We should have invited Slip to camp.

Kestas
10-13-2006, 10:51 AM
So, are we done with the comparisons? Please?

eeehrrrrmmmm... No.

Efes suck, btw. who the heck came up with this tour idea when the team is clearly weaker than last year...
overall this year's preseason with NBA teams was rather mixed (although it did not end, I think). NBA Europe Live clearly chose a safe path picking Khimki and Asvel to play Clipers and Spurs respectively.. both of those teams are not in Euroleague.. Asvel are plain bad.

Euroleague representatives were a mixed bag.. sure, Maccabi got in because they were Euroleague finalists last year, but now they are dominated by new faces, have new coach and play somewhat uninspiringly at all. why didn't they invite, say, Panathinaikos (instead of Maccabi) to play Spurs in Paris?? now that would be interesting..
Lottomatica Roma is a Euroleague newcomer and they should be considered a mediocre team. you know what teams Clipers, Suns, Spurs and 76ers are, no need to explain those.. anyways, CSKA crushed Clipers (who barely beat Khimki), Spurs beat Roma and Maccabi, latter of whom were also beaten by Suns (though trailing only by one at the end of the third, which was a pleasant surprise for the current Maccabi team). before that Barcelona beat 76ers, who ended up beating CSKA. go figure.. final result - Euroleague 2 : NBA 4. 3:3 was no out of reach, so that tells you something.
anyways, it's clear as day that there are no teams in NBA, who are safe playing in Moscow or Athens or a couple of other places in Europe under NBA rules (not to mention FIBA rules). it's easy to see European teams (maybe five of them) rivalling the very top NBA teams in friendly tournaments on a regular basis in five years time. even this year in the final of NBA Europe Live tournament CSKA were favoured by all bookies against the Sixers (who beat the Suns a day before), which is something new.

k

btw, for the reference.. Euroleague:NBA, NBA Europe Live 2006..

CSKA 71-85 76ers
Maccabi 102-119 Suns
Maccabi 84-97 Spurs
CSKA 94-75 Clippers
Roma 93-100 Suns
Barça 104-99 76ers

imawhat
10-13-2006, 12:57 PM
reminds me of a Trailblazers Vs. Pacers game final score...

124-59, I believe. 1999. Even Bender had 10 points (in his first game, nonetheless). (He also became the first hs-drafted player to score double figures in his first game).

jjbjjbjjb
10-13-2006, 02:49 PM
124-59, I believe. 1999. Even Bender had 10 points (in his first game, nonetheless). (He also became the first hs-drafted player to score double figures in his first game).

Haha, that's the score. I still tell people about that. The first and only time in the shot-clock era that one team doubled the score of the other, IIRC. Blazers had beaten the Bulls at the UC in their previous game...

Seed
10-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Efes defeat is a humiliation indeed.
Just for fairness though - Efes are missing 3 important rotation players, including Antonio Granger and Perkacin.

Still, an incredible score.

BTW - Dejuan Wagner was in advanced discussions with Maccabi this year, but it didn't come through. Shame for Maccabi it seems.
Dejuan's father, Milton, played in Israel for several years a while ago. He was a great player too.