PDA

View Full Version : WIBC Courtside Crew

madison
10-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Attended last night's game. Not many "physical" changes to note except for the fact that the WIBC broadcast team was nowhere to be seen. I sit on the "bench" side of the court and did not see Slick, Lee, etc. at the scorers table. Have they undergone plastic surgery during the off-season so that I didn't recognize them?

Unclebuck
10-12-2006, 09:13 PM
They've added seats along the sideline. So they must have moved trhe radio folks

Frank Slade
10-12-2006, 09:14 PM
They've added seats along the sideline. So they must have moved trhe radio folks

Yes Mark commented they were moved "upstairs" this year.

Hicks
10-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Mr. Boyle,

Can you tell us where exactly "upstairs" you and Slick have been relocated to?

Unclebuck
10-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Mr. Boyle,

Can you tell us where exactly "upstairs" you and Slick have been relocated to?

I thought I saw them about 10 rows above MagicRat, (Slick looked a little green though)

mboyle1313
10-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Hicks,

We have been relocated. We are now opposite the team benches, right above the camera positions.

This is a popular trend in the NBA. Last season, we were on the floor in all buildings, except Cleveland and New York. This year we are above the floor in 18 buildings; teams are shortening the scorer's table and adding seats in an effort to generate additional revenue.

While the sight lines are good and it's not a major problem, the broadcasts are slightly compromised because we are now likely to miss the little things we used to pick up on. An example of that would be the delay of game assessed the Pacers last night because of Harrison's untucked jersey.

MJB

Kegboy
10-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Reason #2002 wh..., oh, wait, I said I wasn't doing that anymore. Nevermind.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

MagicRat
10-12-2006, 10:25 PM
And here I was worried about those seats getting between Slick and the bench. I guess I wasn't paying much attention.

How is Slick going to work the refs or give advice during timeouts? This is just terrible..............:shakehead

ChicagoJ
10-12-2006, 10:26 PM
I thought I saw them about 10 rows above MagicRat, (Slick looked a little green though)

somebody needs to still be in the balcony with MR. I feel bad.

Kegboy
10-12-2006, 10:33 PM
somebody needs to still be in the balcony with MR. I feel bad.

That's okay, he has the lady who was looking for Scot Pollard and Jonathan Bender.

MagicRat
10-12-2006, 10:37 PM
I think the cameras are in the club level, though?

I can't see that whole area because of the scoreboard.......

Unclebuck
10-12-2006, 10:57 PM

Yes that is the club level and it's an area that was in yearts past used for handicapped seating.

Question: what did Legends look like

MagicRat
10-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Question: what did Legends look like

I'm sure it's not finished, so right now it just looks blah and sticks out like a sore thumb.

They took out the bleacher seats and angled walls out to where the aisles were on each side. There are a few arena seats near the glass and an open area where they put some tables and wheeled out a couple of buffet lines. Couldn't really tell much about the inside of it.

Right now the walls are sort of creamish/grayish and there's a generic blue sign above it that says Legends.

grace
10-13-2006, 12:25 AM

I can't see that whole area because of the scoreboard.......

You also can't see Reggie's suite. Your seats suck. :1oops:

;)

MagicRat
10-13-2006, 12:36 AM
You also can't see Reggie's suite. Your seats suck. :1oops:

I'd already pretty much decided not to invite you back due to all of the Bulls gear and the constant shrieking whenever Jay Williams touched the ball. This may cinch it...........

grace
10-13-2006, 12:54 AM
I'd already pretty much decided not to invite you back due to all of the Bulls gear and the constant shrieking whenever Jay Williams touched the ball. This may cinch it...........

:bawl::hissyfit:

If you invite me to the Mavs game I promise I'll cheer for Austin and Anthony. Oh, I forgot. Nevermind. :kickcan:

Robertmto
10-13-2006, 01:01 AM
Blame all this on Denari...

grace
10-13-2006, 01:03 AM

No.

MagicRat
10-13-2006, 01:03 AM

He's a little guy. I don't think he takes up that much space......

Robertmto
10-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Blame it on SJax???

:confused:

MagicRat
10-13-2006, 01:11 AM
I feel bad.

No, you don't.

Just look up and wave sometime and know that I'm seeing plays and you're seeing players.......:tongue:

traitor

kybjones
10-13-2006, 01:40 AM
As long as the resounding sound of "Boom Baby" pops up from time to time, I'm fine with it.

Naptown_Seth
10-13-2006, 02:06 AM
Hicks,

We have been relocated. We are now opposite the team benches, right above the camera positions.

This is a popular trend in the NBA. Last season, we were on the floor in all buildings, except Cleveland and New York. This year we are above the floor in 18 buildings; teams are shortening the scorer's table and adding seats in an effort to generate additional revenue.

While the sight lines are good and it's not a major problem, the broadcasts are slightly compromised because we are now likely to miss the little things we used to pick up on. An example of that would be the delay of game assessed the Pacers last night because of Harrison's untucked jersey.

MJB
I often argue the point that you just don't see the same game from farther up, and I don't mean it in a snobby way, as I'm sure you agree.

To me the fouls, the player interactions, everything stands out much better. Plus as you directly mention you had the added bonus of being near the audible explanations of what is going on from refs.

Just look up and wave sometime and know that I'm seeing plays and you're seeing players.......
Keep telling yourself that. This isn't a Colts game you know. ;)
Once I started sitting low I could barely stand to go back up. Club level okay, but upper level is tough to swallow. Now I just need to hit the lottery and make it permanent. :)

Sidenote - interesting rule change to crack down on uniform policy for players entering the game. Seems a little silly, but then again not meeting the requirement is just as silly. It's like being upset that someone insists you keep your fly zipped. :D

MagicRat
10-13-2006, 02:14 AM
Keep telling yourself that. This isn't a Colts game you know. ;)
Once I started sitting low I could barely stand to go back up. Club level okay, but upper level is tough to swallow. Now I just need to hit the lottery and make it permanent. :)

Well that makes two people tonight that have told me my seats suck.......:kickcan:

RWB
10-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Well this should be interesting in the respect on how the post game interviews go. Seriously, will this have an impact on how many players go up there after the game is complete. Made a lot more sense for Mark and Slick to be courtside so that when the game was over a player could simply walk over and slap a headset on.

However, this could be good for the fans by forcing a player into the stands so to speak. The guys better have Sharpies ready. :devil:

indygeezer
10-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Well this should be interesting in the respect on how the post game interviews go. Seriously, will this have an impact on how many players go up there after the game is complete. Made a lot more sense for Mark and Slick to be courtside so that when the game was over a player could simply walk over and slap a headset on.

However, this could be good for the fans by forcing a player into the stands so to speak. The guys better have Sharpies ready. :devil:

Wasn't a certain player putting on headphones when he was doused with a cup o' w/e? That won't happen this way, announcers won't get broken backs, and play-by-play types can improve their cardio by climbing stairs (as if). See, they were only thinking of MJB's et al health and well-being...not more seats.

mboyle1313
10-13-2006, 09:23 AM
RWB,

The post game interview process hasn't changed. Kevin will be courtside with a wireless microphone to handle the interview.

The number of guys you could get to come up into the stands to do a post game interview is zero. And I wouldn't blame them.

MJB

RWB
10-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks Mark, appreciate the info.

To all others..........sorry put away the Sharpies.

Knucklehead Warrior
10-13-2006, 10:08 AM
That's okay, he has the lady who was looking for Scot Pollard and Jonathan Bender.

Many years ago I used to sit near the corner behind the P's bench. There was an "elderly" woman who sat a couple rows above me with a loud raspy voice who would relentlessly get on Rik Smits for fumbling a pass, missing an easy shot, whatever.
Ohhhhhhh Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkk
And it was said in the disappointed annoyed tone of a parent who'd just caught their 3-yr-old writing on the wall with a crayon. I'm sure he could hear her when they played down on our end.

ChicagoJ
10-13-2006, 10:09 AM
To me the fouls, the player interactions, everything stands out much better. Plus as you directly mention you had the added bonus of being near the audible explanations of what is going on from refs.

Yep, you've described "watching the players" but not "watching the plays". Its fun, and I've historically done it once or twice per season (and it was really fun to sit courtside in Chicago and listen to Reggie interact with their fans), but I don't really miss it when I'm back up in seat that's high enough to really see the off-the-ball activity.

Personally, I'd rather we stayed in the front row of "204". But my choice was either (a) move down with the guy I've split my account with for a number of years, or (b) buy all the "204" tickets myself. If I still lived in Indy and was going to as many home games as humanly possible, choice "b" would've been obvious.

I think MagicRat has some of the very best seats in the house, especially considering the relative bargain that balcony seats cost in the first place.

I'm not sure my new seats are really worth 150% more per game than my "204" seats.

RWB
10-13-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure my new seats are really worth 150% more per game than my "204" seats.

Jay, anytime you want to re-live your slum days let me know. From RWB and the Mrs. in section 216. :D

indygeezer
10-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Moving the media types up also has the benefit of NOT accidentally airing certain expletives that some players are prone to hurl when things don't go thier way.

mboyle1313
10-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Geezer,

Not true. Our other microphones are all still in the same places (both baskets, scorers table, etc.), so you'll still hear the courtside sound, which on occasion does contain some off color commentary.

MJB

RWB
10-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Geezer,

Not true. Our other microphones are all still in the same places (both baskets, scorers table, etc.), so you'll still hear the courtside sound, which on occasion does contain some off color commentary.

MJB

So, in response to the usual comment about television "if you don't like it then turn the channel" maybe WIBC could have a warning like "Hey kids, David Harrison is entering the game. Please temporarily change your dial until David collects his 3rd foul. We'll see ya again in 60 seconds". :D

indygeezer
10-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Geezer,

MJB

Actually I'm glad to hear that, it makes the game a bit more "intimate" in the good sense.

I heard you discusing this yesterday on WIBC but didn't catch all of the program...did I miss any insightful comments?

Kegboy
10-13-2006, 12:57 PM
He's a little guy. I don't think he takes up that much space......

Denari could always sit in Quinn's lap.

I think MagicRat has some of the very best seats in the house, especially considering the relative bargain that balcony seats cost in the first place.

They're nice, but you can't see the Pacemates practicing in the tunnel. :thumbsdow

As for the eternal lower bowl / balcony debate, our Fever seats were 10th row, across from the Fever bench, on the aisle. You'd think they'd be perfect seats, but I hated them. I don't care about hearing players, I want to see the floor.

grace
10-13-2006, 01:46 PM
As for the eternal lower bowl / balcony debate, our Fever seats were 10th row, across from the Fever bench, on the aisle. You'd think they'd be perfect seats, but I hated them. I don't care about hearing players, I want to see the floor.

But you have to admit we had a good time when Stephanie White's family and Monica Maxwell's family used to sit in front of us.

grace
10-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Well that makes two people tonight that have told me my seats suck.......:kickcan:

There are different levels of sucking. When the which seats are better debate comes down to the lower level and club level vs. the balcony I'll always go with the balcony.

mboyle1313
10-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Geezer,

Insightful? You know better than that.

MJB

MagicRat
10-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Mark,

How long will it take for "This is the Conseco Pacers Radio Network" to become second nature?

mboyle1313
10-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Rat,

Maybe a month. It's a bit cumbersome to try and throw a sponsor's name into the mix in that particular case.

MJB

imawhat
10-13-2006, 06:13 PM
Geezer,

MJB

Mark,

Just curious..can you pick up those other mics in your headset mix (assuming you wear a headset)?

mboyle1313
10-13-2006, 06:15 PM
imawhat,

Yes.

MJB

ABADays
10-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Conseco bought the radio broadcasts? How the heck can they afford all of this?

Kegboy
10-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Conseco bought the radio broadcasts? How the heck can they afford all of this?

By outsourcing everything to India.

Naptown_Seth
10-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Jay, I still disagree about off the ball activity. Again, at a Colts game yes, but at a Pacers game I find that the process of getting space on a play, the impact of picks, the size advantages, everything is much more obvious than from the higher angle.

From the higher view some shots don't look so great, but down low you can see why they are running that play or taking that shot, there is space or a height advantage. And unlike Colts games I don't think you lose the impact of the width (or length) of the court, in fact I find it enhanced.

When fans in the club level are booing a call, I know it was right because I could actually see the contact. I always watch the Tivo of games I go to, and typically I'm very disappointed at how much doesn't come across and how mundane some of the plays look (meaning routine plays, the speed on a PnR play for example). I can recall just how much space a player had for a few seconds, but on TV it looks like just another PnR.

Plus so many plays are actually focused on speed and size mismatches that the logic of the plays is greatly enhanced when you see what is being gained on the switches, screens, etc.

To me there is no going back from this... :D
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l8/Naptown_Seth/Img_5644.jpg

Now bang for buck is a different debate, and there's a reason I only get to about 8-10 games typically. I could sit upstairs all year for that price, but I like mixing in home viewing with a few right in the mix. I sit in singles and typically don't know anyone around me, so I'm not there to be a high-roller, I do it for the viewing enhancement.

ChicagoJ
10-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I understand the "pro's" for sitting down low. But you're also illustrating the cons with that picture, too.

Zoom out!!

You've only got five players in the picture.

Assuming Iverson crosses over (using Hunter's screen) and goes right, where's the help defense? You're too close to see them, IMO.

Unclebuck
10-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I agree with Seth on this, I like to sit as close to the floor as possible. I watch enough on TV to know the plays and to see the wide angle. But when I go to a game I like to feel the game, see the quickness, feel the physicalness, and get a different perspective. Overall I get a much better idea of what is actually going on out there when I'm sitting as close as possible.

Naptown_Seth
10-17-2006, 01:36 AM
I understand the "pro's" for sitting down low. But you're also illustrating the cons with that picture, too.

Zoom out!!

You've only got five players in the picture.

Assuming Iverson crosses over (using Hunter's screen) and goes right, where's the help defense? You're too close to see them, IMO.
That's because I had the 200mm on the camera. If I used a lens closer to "true width of view" you'd see everything at the same time.

My point remains that where the space on Ron, for example, seems like he's kinda close to the play, down low you see that it's a lot more and that there is room for a play there. To me from above a lot of the game looks more the same, the subtle difference between the same set being run successfully or not comes out because it's usually an extra 2 feet or getting a player with slightly more reach to change it.

I'm stressing that I would not spend the money just to be near the players if it was just that. I ONCE spent the money for the Colts/Dolphins MNF game in 96 (which was for first at the time, following the Colts win in Dallas). 3rd row, 30 yd line behind the Colts bench. Lynn Swann was working the sideline right next to us, the Colts OL was sitting directly in front of us to the point you could hear the discussions.

The game was amazing (10-6) but I hated it. I couldn't tell what was going on most of the time. There was no way to see if there were holes in the line, or even where the RB was when he went into the line, and so on.

I never sat that low ever again. Ever.

Contrast that to how many times I've sat in the first 5 rows at a Pacers game after I did it the first time. I'd say that 70% of the games I attend are this way, and not because it's cheap.

I understand Rat having seasons he can afford and getting a good angle for a nice (relative to 4th row or something) price. It's fun just to be there, even in the upper level, especially on those special nights. I'll sit anywhere of course, but unlike any other sport I will scrounge for the extra money to move down closer for an NBA game. It's the one time I think you really see where your money went.

Naptown_Seth
10-17-2006, 01:39 AM
Now my question to Boyle is this - how does Montieth get to stay in the front row and you guys have to go upstairs. He's not even the beat anymore, move his butt upstairs instead. Didn't he lose his laptop during the brawl? That shoulda learned him good. ;)

RWB
10-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Now my question to Boyle is this - how does Montieth get to stay in the front row and you guys have to go upstairs. He's not even the beat anymore, move his butt upstairs instead. Didn't he lose his laptop during the brawl? That shoulda learned him good. ;)

Could it be because Mark and Slick are hard edged rebels and Double M is a yes man lackey? :D

Actually Montieth sounds like a nice guy.

MagicRat
10-17-2006, 08:51 AM
I understand Rat having seasons he can afford and getting a good angle for a nice (relative to 4th row or something) price. It's fun just to be there, even in the upper level.............

Look, I get it. My seats suck. I will now return to my hovel, call my ticket agent and cancel the rest of them............:kickcan:

mboyle1313
10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Seth,

It's all about math. There are 8 radio broadcasts seats courtside, and just 4 seats for beat writers. Ergo, moving us upstairs creates eight more seats that can be sold than moving the print guys would.

MJB

Kegboy
10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Look, I get it. My seats suck. I will now return to my hovel, call my ticket agent and cancel the rest of them............:kickcan:

:lmao: as the strands of "Another One Bites the Dust" runs through my head.

Kegboy
10-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Seth,

It's all about math. There are 8 radio broadcasts seats courtside, and just 4 seats for beat writers. Ergo, moving us upstairs creates eight more seats that can be sold than moving the print guys would.

MJB

Well if they have the players move back to the locker room, like a bullpen, that's 24 more seats, get rid of coaches, that's another 8. Rick can just pace the whole game.

Cubs231721
10-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Well if they have the players move back to the locker room, like a bullpen, that's 24 more seats, get rid of coaches, that's another 8. Rick can just pace the whole game.

That's a great idea. I can see it now-players in the locker room, and everyone has their own theme music (like all good closers do in baseball). There's a timeout on the court, and the theme music starts-and everyone gets up and cheers as the PA announcer goes "Now returning for your Pacers-Jermaine O'Neeeal" as he runs out of the tunnel:D

ChicagoJ
10-17-2006, 05:49 PM
So, Seth, if I decide to fight the cross-town traffic and get a ticket to the Celtics-Knicks game tonight, there is a single fifth-row seat at MSG available per ticketmaster.

Should I sit there or up top? Maybe I could buy a balcony seat and move down to courtside... I did that once for a Pacers-Bulls preseason the night that Bartman famously attempted to catch that foul ball and there were less than 500 people in the UC. And I think the Mets are playing tonight, aren't they... this is stating to sound like a good idea...

(Most likely, I'll just be sitting in our NY office working, but I can daydream, right? Although, if there was some way I could 'expense' a fifth-row seat, I'd be all over that. :pimp: )

Naptown_Seth
10-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Jay, with the Knicks I think it's always best to sit as far away as possible. :D

I probably wouldn't come off the cash for a preseason game, even the Pacers.

Rat, no sympathy from me, you're going to see a lot more Pacers games than me this year. The money is too thin right now even for picking up just a few games. It's looking like I'll miss my first Conseco home opener ever. :mad:

Mark,

Who sits on the baseline then (visitors bench corner)? Are those national writers, or just stat people, or what? I'm certain that at some point I saw local writers over there (Kravitz I thought), but obviously I see Mike and Mark on the sideline now (and lately in general).

I recall seeing a few national writers apparently working from the concourse area a year or two ago. Michael Smith (ESPN/Around the Horn) was toting around his laptop for example. Wasn't sure if that was overflow or normal for national coverage just in for a playoff game or some special regular season event (such as the return of Ron or something).

indygeezer
10-17-2006, 08:14 PM
I miss my season tix to this day. I STILL hate sitting up high.
Like Buck...I get enough of the wide-angle lends approach watching from home. Gimme the speed and smell of linament everytime!

ChicagoJ
10-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Jay, with the Knicks I think it's always best to sit as far away as possible. :D

Well, I'm still sitting in the office. I've got an odd view of the big Reuters signboard at Times Square, though. :hypnotize

I've vowed for years that I want to go to a game in the Garden. And with the Knicks as bad as they are, going to an "exhibition" game would be ironic.

;)

Unclebuck
10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Gimme the speed and smell of linament everytime!

So is that what the smell is

mboyle1313
10-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Seth,

Don't know the pecking order, but I'm told that radio (home and visitor) is just the first to go up. Within the next 5-6 years, everyone will be upstairs, except network TV.

MJB

Kegboy
10-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Seth,

Don't know the pecking order, but I'm told that radio (home and visitor) is just the first to go up. Within the next 5-6 years, everyone will be upstairs, except network TV.

MJB

See, told you all the players would be the next to go.

:tongue:

grace
10-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Who sits on the baseline then (visitors bench corner)?

The local TV guys sit down there. Actually they look quite depressed now that Nicole Manske left for SPEED TV. Stacey Paetz also sits down there in between her on air reports. As for the rest of them I have no idea who they are.

Naptown_Seth
10-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Well, I'm still sitting in the office. I've got an odd view of the big Reuters signboard at Times Square, though. :hypnotize

I've vowed for years that I want to go to a game in the Garden. And with the Knicks as bad as they are, going to an "exhibition" game would be ironic.

;)
Just remember that the circus sideshow is also an "exhibition", though I assume this is what you were implying.

Grace, I see Stacey over there of course, but several people are working off of laptops or game stat monitors provided by the arena (I assume). Of course I haven't been to a game this year and with the changes I assume even this is not the same.

I have to admit that one reason I was aware of it was because I often thought "I would like to sit over there instead". Typically when I sit in that area it's right behind "Sign Guy" Matt on the other side of the rim.

Speaking of good seats, the first time I ever sat dead center down low (which I rarely do) I was 4th row dead center for one of the Sixers playoff games in 2001. I had the NBC crew directly in front of me with only 1 row between us. So close I could use their stat monitors and read some of the commentary notes that were being handed to them.

I have to say that access to replays and instant, full stats was a very nice addition. Also I made it a point to not get on the cell or do any of the other inane "look ma, I'm at an NBA game behind Snapper" behavior you see. From 14 year old kids, sure, but when the adults do it. :shakehead

:D

RWB
10-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Speaking of good seats, the first time I ever sat dead center down low (which I rarely do) I was 4th row dead center for one of the Sixers playoff games in 2001.
:D

I can't help myself, but love to tell this quick story about setting low since Seth brought it up.

I'm proud to say the lowest the wife and I set was three rows from the floor directly behind then governor Evan Bayh. We were playing the Bucks and were getting some horrendous whistles that night. It was so bad the Gov actually yelled out at the refs "you guys blow". It was then I knew the man actually cared and wasn't there just for show. :D