PDA

View Full Version : Who would you cut?

rwagner
10-11-2006, 09:47 PM
So, after watching the first preseason game, if you had to make player cuts, which players would you cut from the Pacers roster?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The Pacers have 19 under contract and can keep 15, unless they send extra to the D-League. They'll have 12 on the active roster and 3 on the injured roster.<o:p></o:p>
My first three picks are fairly easy ones: John Edwards, Sean Lampley, and Jimmie "Snap" Hunter. Even though Hunter performed well I think Greene is better.<o:p></o:p>
But who is the other player to get cut, or sent to the D-League?<o:p></o:p>
I think we should keep four PGs w/ Tinsley's history. Marshall, Powell, and Baston all performed well. Even Shawn Williams was not bad and you know he is not getting cut, but could get sent to the D-League although unlikely.<o:p></o:p>
So who would you cut? Or would you send a player to the D-League?<o:p></o:p>
Oh, and I am so glad Al Albert is gone. Never cared for him very much.

Trader Joe
10-11-2006, 09:51 PM
I'd send Marshall to the D-League before I cut him if I can.

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 09:52 PM
My first three picks are fairly easy ones: John Edwards, Sean Lampley, and Jimmie "Snap" Hunter. Even though Hunter performed well I think Greene is better.<o:p></o:p>

Those are my thoughts

rwagner
10-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Those are my thoughts

So, who would be your fourth?

Jermaniac
GOD I DONT WANT TO CUT GREEN OR RAWLE. But one has to go

ajbry
Powell and Greene should stay, the rest are gone.

But I also would like to send Rawle off to the NBDL and keep him somehow.

Young
10-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Those are my thoughts

Same here.

My guess is it comes down to Hunter or Greene and I hope we pick OG. I think that with OG's size and athletic ability that could fill a huge void for a good athletic defender at the 1. I can't recall the last PG the Pacers had who could really defend but maybe I just have a bad memory.

Dukins
10-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Rawle can be our d-leaguer........Agrees with everyone else's assessment.

McKeyFan
10-11-2006, 09:57 PM
That fourth one is a tough decision.

Can we keep one around if/when Jax is gone?

Frank Slade
10-11-2006, 09:59 PM
If I am not mistaken whoever you send to the D-league counts against your roster, so that does not help reduce magic number.

rwagner
10-11-2006, 09:59 PM
That fourth one is a tough decision.

Can we keep one around if/when Jax is gone?

I knew someone would suggest it.:laugh:

rwagner
10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
If I am not mistaken whoever you send to the D-league counts against your roster, so that does not help reduce magic number.

The way I understood it, was that it did not count aginst it. But, I'm not positive.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-11-2006, 10:05 PM
The way I understood it, was that it did not count aginst it. But, I'm not positive.

I always heard it counted.

317Kim
10-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Yes, the first three I'd cut are John Edwards, Sean Lampley, and Snap. The fourth is a very hard decision, but I think it comes down to Powell or Marshall. Greene is definitely staying.

Dukins
10-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Greene took the game over in the fourth quarter. Wow just Wow. We have enough players that can fill Marshall's position. OTOH Powell is a big body that can bang. I call him a young Jeff Foster with a mid range jump shot.

Sorry Rawle

MaHa3000
10-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Why not cut Armstrong.

Destined4Greatness
10-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Didn't even watch the game, Edwards, Edwards, Edwards

Jermaniac
10-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Why not cut Armstrong.GREAT locker room guy who is loved by everyone, a veteran who played in the finals, plays defense, energy for days, leadership qualities.

CUT HIS ***

Dukins
10-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Why not cut Armstrong.

we still need a veteran prescence on this young team. His money comes off the books next season.

Hicks
10-11-2006, 10:22 PM
It's easy for me to see Edwards, #12, and Hunter out, but it's that 4th cut that's a killer. It's between Marshall and Greene IMO. I like both of them; it's a shame one has to go.

sweabs
10-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I think it would make most sense to cut Rawle. We just have to keep Greene because of our history with PG's, and considering we have more guys to fill the spots that Rawle is capable of doing, it makes sense he gets the axe. It's unfortunate though.

Now, if we can just cut Stephen Jackson somehow, then this decision wouldn't be so hard in the first place.

burnzone
10-11-2006, 10:42 PM
I think a trade almost has to be made, even if we have to pretty much give away Stephen Jackson, and Jeff Foster for nothing in return, or a scrub player to be cut immediately, and a 2nd rounder, if we can find some team to do that deal.

I am only saying that from the perspective of wanting to do anything it takes, to be able to keep all 3 of Powell, Greene, and Marshall, and there's 2 roster spots for those 3 guys, and not at all saying it from the recent incidents. But those young guys are just that good in my eyes, that I'd do it at that cost.

And I agree that Edwards, Lampley, and Hunter are as good as gone, and that the 4th cut is either going to be difficult, and painful to see a young player of that quality be released, or we have to come up with a trade, to thin out the 15 roster spots, and keep Powell, Greene, and Marshall.

!Pacers-Fan!
10-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Keep Hunter, And Powell.

JayRedd
10-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Jackson is getting cut.

Here's our ideal roster:

Jamal/Sarunas/DA/Greene
Daniels/Flight
Danny/Shawne/Marshall
Al/Foster/Baston/Powell
JO/Harrison

with all these rooks and young'ns on low contracts, we can now easilly waive Jax without taking too much of a hit. We'll just hafta go over the luxury tax to resign Danny and Hulk. At this point, I'm pretty sure the Simons are more than willing to do that to rid themselves of this PR disaster.

Destined4Greatness
10-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Jackson is not going to be cut. Thats like 25 million down the tube. If they are going to get rid of him, it will be a trade.

AND WTF to just giving up Jeff Foster for nothing, burnzone.

JayRedd
10-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Jackson is not going to be cut. Thats like 25 million down the tube. If they are going to get rid of him, it will be a trade.

AND WTF to just giving up Jeff Foster for nothing, burnzone.

Sometimes you lose.

Aint no one trading for an average SG that carries guns and has a terrible contract.

Eating 6 mil per year doesn't particularly hurt your cap number when you're already over the cap anyway. It's not like we'd have much more than the mid-level for the next 5 years anyway.

He's gone in two weeks.

burnzone
10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
....AND WTF to just giving up Jeff Foster for nothing, burnzone.

Well, I meant that more about giving away for Jax for nothing in return as far as the other team is concerned, to get them to do the deal. And even though I personally woudln't want to, I feel like Foster is about the only throw in available for a trading deal, because he can be valuable to another team, his great rebounding ability is known, and has a good work ethic, and attitude.

Yes, I think Jax is a good player, and I think the same of Foster, but in looking at the 15 spots on the roster, and the few on the end that are available, I would personally like to be able to keep all 3 of Powell, Greene, and Marshall, on top of the guys that are already locks to make the team.

And unfortunately, the only realistic thing I could think of was if another team would agree to trade for Jax, Foster might have to be added, and maybe a 2 nd round pick, to get them to agree.

So, don't take from what I said that I think we should literally give Foster away for nothing, just to be doing it, I just really liked what I saw from the young 3 of Powell, Greene, and Marhsall, and would like to keep all 3, and am thinking about how we can pull that off.

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Wait I thought there were 18 on the roster and we have to cut 3. We have to cut 4. (I think there is a good chance Jackson won't be on the team, so he could be the 4th)

burnzone
10-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Wait I thought there were 18 on the roster and we have to cut 3. We have to cut 4. (I think there is a good chance Jackson won't be on the team, so he could be the 4th)

Lampley was the last guy added, to bring the total to 19, but he's an automatic cut anyways.

JayRedd
10-11-2006, 11:01 PM
NOBODY IS TRADING FOR STEPHEN JACKSON. HE'S A PR NIGHTMARE AND NOT THAT GOOD TO BEGIN WITH AND HAS A MULTI-YEAR CONTRACT NO TEAM WANTS.

He's getting cut or staying on this roster. Which do you think Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird are more likely to do?

Destined4Greatness
10-11-2006, 11:03 PM
So theres three besides Lampley.

How about. Edwards, Hunter and either Marshall, Powell or Baston get cut(I couldn't watch the game so now clue how these guys looked)

or trade Jackson.

Jermaniac
10-11-2006, 11:04 PM
If Powell or Baston get cut, I'm going cut Larry Bird up.

Destined4Greatness
10-11-2006, 11:05 PM
NOBODY IS TRADING FOR STEPHEN JACKSON. HE'S A PR NIGHTMARE AND NOT THAT GOOD TO BEGIN WITH AND HAS A MULTI-YEAR CONTRACT NO TEAM WANTS.

He's getting cut or staying on this roster. Which do you think Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird are more likely to do?

Look, people don't care about history. Hell TO has a history of destroying his team on and off the court and people will still trade for him. Not comparing jack to TO. The fact of the matter is that there will always be some GM that thinks he can turn the guy around and if they can get him for cheap its a steal. Hell start talking to NY, Thomas will try anything and if it doesn't work out hes gone in a year so not his problem.

Destined4Greatness
10-11-2006, 11:06 PM
If Powell or Baston get cut, I'm going cut Larry Bird up.

Have they been that impressive?

OTD
10-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Two questions for someone who knows for sure. 1. If Jax should happen to go to jail, would he still be on the pay roll? 2. Does the players in the D league count against the 15?

Jermaniac
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Yes

Destined4Greatness
10-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Two questions for someone who knows for sure. 1. If Jax should happen to go to jail, would he still be on the pay roll? 2. Does the players in the D league count against the 15?

I am fairly certain its no on both. 80% for both.

Jax won't go to jail, these charges are just BS to prove the cops aren't going easy because he is a celebrity(I think thats the word). My sisters ex husband fired a gun in the air and not a damn thing happened, no charges.

Los Angeles
10-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Some of the choices are way too hard...

I need to see more before I vote.

Trader Joe
10-11-2006, 11:13 PM
D4G Baston is not going anywhere. He will play at least 15 minutes a game IMO.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I am fairly certain its no on both. 80% for both.

Jax won't go to jail, these charges are just BS to prove the cops aren't going easy because he is a celebrity(I think thats the word). My sisters ex husband fired a gun in the air and not a damn thing happened, no charges.

Exactly, he fired a gun in the air to stop a fight. He isn't going to jail.

JayRedd
10-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Look, people don't care about history. Hell TO has a history of destroying his team on and off the court and people will still trade for him. Not comparing jack to TO. The fact of the matter is that there will always be some GM that thinks he can turn the guy around and if they can get him for cheap its a steal. Hell start talking to NY, Thomas will try anything and if it doesn't work out hes gone in a year so not his problem.

Are you serious?

TO might be the best WR in the NFL. Certainly an undisputed Top 5 talent-wise.

Stepehn Jackson is possibly a Top 50 perimeter player in the NBA. And one who has no UPside given his age and on-the-court limitations. He also has a multi-year contract worth 26 million dollars in a league where GMs value flexibility.

There is very, very little for any GM to gain by trading for this guy unless we throw in Danny and Foster.

Undoubtedly, once we waive him someone will pick him up ala Tim Thomas or Vin Baker. But aint a GM in this world (not Isiah or McHale) that's trading for a guy with this pedigree, especially when he'll probably be on waivers in a month anyway.

rwagner
10-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Send Jax to the D-League until this all pans out.:laugh:

Destined4Greatness
10-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Apparently Jayredd missed the part where I said I wasn't Comparing TO and Jack.

Look TO is the best reciever possibly which just means his cheap price is more than the Cheap price for Jack, comparably. They are different sports after all.

Bball
10-11-2006, 11:22 PM
It is my understanding that D league players DO count against the roster limit. So no relief there.

IF Sjax is to stay and isn't the 4th player gone then I'm ready to wave 'bye' to Foster (trade for pick?). That's based on what I saw tonight from other players. I liked the Dallas guys. I liked Baston. And I liked them better than Foster.

Greene HAS to stay because he gives us a real defender and pest at PG. And Tinsley will be afflicted with something soon anyway.

Armstrong... I didn't get see play (did he play?) but he's obviously not part of the future. I'm not sure you can keep him if it means cutting one of the Dallas guys or Greene.

-Bball

McKeyFan
10-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Nah, not Foster.

I understand your reasoning, and I suppose I could be persuaded.

But, heck, this is preseason. Foster is a gamer. He has been one savvy, high bball IQ veteran in big playoff games. I want him around.

JayRedd
10-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Apparently Jayredd missed the part where I said I wasn't Comparing TO and Jack.

Look TO is the best reciever possibly which just means his cheap price is more than the Cheap price for Jack, comparably. They are different sports after all.

Apparently, I did. My bad....Look, I'm an idiot. I'm not disputing that. And I'm really not trying to advocate any sort of moral outrage or anything even close to that about Stephen Jackson.

I just can't imagine any possible situation where SJax doesn't get waived from this roster.

Yes, there are lots of dumb GMs in this league. And I'm sure Bird/Walsh will make a phone call or two. I'm just saying his guy is not cheap. And no one is taking this guy given his contract and his marginally above average ability and his image. None of those things could possilby interest anyone.

And the Simons ARE NOT letting this guy play this year. They just aren't. That's absurd.

Only solution is to cut him. Hurts the cap. But not tremedously.

But it does help our image. Certainly, tremendously.

McKeyFan
10-11-2006, 11:35 PM
If they did let him play, how bad would the booing be?

I think it could possibly be very chronic. I mean, really bad and continuous.

Bball
10-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Nah, not Foster.

I understand your reasoning, and I suppose I could be persuaded.

But, heck, this is preseason. Foster is a gamer. He has been one savvy, high bball IQ veteran in big playoff games. I want him around.

Considering Foster is mainly a hustle player, coming off a couple of surgeries and other injuries, likely already peaked with his best years in the rearview mirror, AND has never hit a shot from outside of 5' and is 20% on layups (Ok... Ok... I'm kidding) I'd have to consider moving him at this point if it allowed me to keep Greene or the Dallas guys. I'd think Foster could be moved for a pick or some situation where we got a player(s) on ending contracts (and could cut).

But like I said... Armstrong would also not be high on my 'keeper' list and it wouldn't be that big of a hit to just cut him. Yes, we'd lose a veteran presence AND we'd lose our 3rd string PG once Tinsley goes down BUT if it means keeping Greene then so be it. And you know Armstrong is gone next season anyway.

Who would want Armstrong as the 3rd string PG when you could have Greene?

-BBall

rwagner
10-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Apparently, I did. My bad....Look, I'm an idiot. I'm not disputing that. And I'm really not trying to advocate any sort of moral outrage or anything even close to that about Stephen Jackson.

I just can't imagine any possible situation where SJax doesn't get waived from this roster.

Yes, there are lots of dumb GMs in this league. And I'm sure Bird/Walsh will make a phone call or two. I'm just saying his guy is not cheap. And no one is taking this guy given his contract and his marginally above average ability and his image. None of those things could possilby interest anyone.

And the Simons ARE NOT letting this guy play this year. They just aren't. That's absurd.

Only solution is to cut him. Hurts the cap. But not tremedously.

But it does help our image. Certainly, tremendously.

Well right now it looks like he is staying and will still be a big part of the team. Carlisle said after the game that he does not think Jax will be convicted.

But the tune couldd change.

Destined4Greatness
10-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Just because they are saying one thing, doesn't mean they aren't plotting another.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-12-2006, 12:12 AM

Yeah except their were multiple signs at the fan jam supporting him but you know.

AesopRockOn
10-12-2006, 12:26 AM
JayRedd, you're trippin ballz with this cut Jax thing. Face it, he ain't going to get waived; his role may diminish a little but there is no way we are waving our starting SG with the type of money he is making. With all due respect, and I mean all due respect, Jax is staying on the team and as long as he is on the team, I'm cheering for him to contribute. The situation is too complicated to just toss in the trash. Btw, I'm pretty sure that an NBDL player counts against the roster; idk about the jail question, again too complicated to just say 'bye.' Anyways, the win was extremely uplifting: Go Pacers.

JayRedd
10-12-2006, 12:33 AM
JayRedd, you're trippin ballz with this cut Jax thing. Face it, he ain't going to get waived; his role may diminish a little but there is no way we are waving our starting SG with the type of money he is making.

Again, I'm not saying it's good for our team on the court.

I just honestly think this is going to be the decision the Simons/Walsh/Bird come to.

Raskolnikov
10-12-2006, 02:55 AM
(based on what I read about the new guys and on the police report)

Edwards, Lampley, Hunter and Jackson.

Team Indy
10-12-2006, 07:42 AM
It is my understanding that D league players DO count against the roster limit. So no relief there.

IF Sjax is to stay and isn't the 4th player gone then I'm ready to wave 'bye' to Foster (trade for pick?). That's based on what I saw tonight from other players. I liked the Dallas guys. I liked Baston. And I liked them better than Foster.

Greene HAS to stay because he gives us a real defender and pest at PG. And Tinsley will be afflicted with something soon anyway.

Armstrong... I didn't get see play (did he play?) but he's obviously not part of the future. I'm not sure you can keep him if it means cutting one of the Dallas guys or Greene.

-Bball

In the absence of a trade, I think this is a good option. He brings many good things to the table, but most of them are off court. An arrangement can be made where he is kept as a point guard tutor while practising and hanging out with the players. On court, Greene and Marshall have so much more upside and will be with the team longer. Powell I think stopped being on the bubble a long time ago. Looking at Marshall's 4 blks on the box score, and given Greene's intensity, this team could be very good defensively, with shot blocking from every position except point guard.

D-BONE
10-12-2006, 08:34 AM
As someone suggested in another thread, can we convince Armstrong to just become a coach. Perhaps he would just retire. Then We can keep Marshall and Greene. I think both are woth a spot.

In regards to Greene, it occured to me that at 6-4 around 210 and with his strength he might even be able to do an occasional stint on a small to moderate sized opposing shooting guard in an emergency. Thoughts? Not to mention what he brings to the 1.

Using a spot vacated by Jackson for Marshall would be ideal but I'm not too confident it will come to fruition.

MagicRat
10-12-2006, 09:18 AM
I'd cut RoboHicks.......

Unclebuck
10-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Pacers will need Armstrong. There will be a few games throughout the season and stretches of the season where he'll need to play 20-25 minutes per game. He is too important on the floor and his leadership is invaluable on this team. I'd cut Marshall before Armstrong

Pacesetter
10-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Lampley, Edwards, Hunter, and send Rawle to NBDL.

gph
10-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Players in the dev league count against the player cap. We can have 15. We currently have 19:

Lampley
Tinsley
snap
flight
baston
jo
al
marshall
powell
og
armstrong
foster
daniels
danger
edwards
williams
saras
jackson
harrison

The first three cuts are snap(club rio and OG having guaranteed money), edwards(big goofy dude), and lampley(overseas talent, at best). as we owe edwards guaranteed money, i have to think that we would not be excited about cutting greene, as we would owe him a fair amount. So...Marshall is gone. More than likely, Williams will be in the dev league, if anyone. Insert saras joke here.

If by some strange twist of fate another deal goes down, or Jackson gets his contract voided if he is convicted, we might see the roster change, but i really think we go into the season with these guys:

Tinsley (starter)
jo(starter)
al(starter)
daniels(starter, but i don't prefer him there)
danger(starter)
baston
flight
powell
og
armstrong
foster
saras
harrison
jackson (suspended)
williams(nbdl)

If jackson is around, he will probably get the starting nod. If his legal woes move to conviction or jail time, i expect he will have his contract terminated in accordance to CBA rules regarding conviction of felony. I strongly suspect a supension in the mean time.

As for the question of how will they do...playoffs. As for how far they go...depends on the offense holding up, and injuries. if they get rolling, they can give fits to anyone.

Will Galen
10-12-2006, 11:47 AM
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#64

64. What roster size limits exist? What is the Inactive List? What is Injured Reserve?

A team must have 12 players on its active roster, although they can drop to 11 for up to two weeks at a time. They must suit up at least eight players for every game. Any remaining players must be on its Inactive List, and are ineligible to play in games. A team must have a minimum of one and a maximum of three players on its Inactive List, although they can drop to zero for up to two weeks at a time, and can temporarily have four with league approval in the event of a hardship. The composition of the Inactive List can change on a game-by-game basis -- no less than 60 minutes prior to tipoff, the team must present to the official scorer a list of the players who will be active for that game. A player can be inactive for as little as one game. While individual teams are only required to carry 13 players (12 active and one inactive), the NBA also guarantees a league-wide average of at least 14 players per team. The league is surcharged if they do not meet this obligation.

Injured Reserve is the previous name for the Inactive List. It was originally intended for players who were injured and unable to play, however teams often used it as a convenient place to stash extra players. While a medical reason was required for players to be put on Injured Reserve, the league did not insist on an independent physician confirming the diagnosis. Thus it was common for a seemingly healthy player to suddenly develop "back spasms" right before rosters were cut to 12 players, and spend the entire season on Injured Reserve as a result. With the current CBA they gave up the ghost, dropped the medical requirement, and changed "injured" to "inactive."

Players assigned to the NBA Developmental League (see question number 66) are automatically placed on their team's Inactive List.

imawhat
10-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Some of the choices are way too hard...

I need to see more before I vote.

Yep. It's been one preseason game. Everyone needs to prove themselves over several games (and weeks in practice).

Team Indy
10-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Pacers will need Armstrong. There will be a few games throughout the season and stretches of the season where he'll need to play 20-25 minutes per game. He is too important on the floor and his leadership is invaluable on this team. I'd cut Marshall before Armstrong

I think his on court capabilities are overrated. Greene should be given his minutes to develop, hopefully becoming the same disruptive force that Armstrong once was to the opponents. Plus Daniels and White should be able to play the point in a crisis. His personality and leadership can still have an impact as a coach. Even if he still could play 20 min a night, which would only happen Tinsley or Saras got injured, it would only be for one more season. Then the team could be left with an injury prone Tinsley, an incompetent Saras, a raw Greene, and possibly no draft pick.
This team needs some of their young talent to pan out. Marshall could turn out to be a useful player, giving the team more flexibilty to make trades in the future.

Los Angeles
10-12-2006, 02:38 PM
OK, I've thought about this alot and I think we should go Big & Fast.

Keepers:

Jamaal Tinsley G 6-3 185 02/28/1978 Iowa State 5
Al Harrington F 6-9 245 02/17/1980 St. Patrick's HS (NJ) 8
David Harrison C 7-0 280 08/15/1982 Colorado 2
Jeff Foster C-F 6-11 250 01/16/1977 Southwest Texas State 7
Danny Granger F 6-9 228 04/20/1983 New Mexico 1
Darrell Armstrong G 6-1 180 06/22/1968 Fayetteville State 12
Maceo Baston F 6-9 215 05/29/1975 Michigan 1
Marquis Daniels G 6-6 200 01/07/1981 Auburn 3
Jermaine O'Neal F-C 6-11 260 10/13/1978 Eau Claire HS (SC) 10
Stephen Jackson F-G 6-8 218 04/05/1978 Oak Hill (VA) 6
Sarunas Jasikevicius G 6-4 197 03/05/1976 Maryland 1
James White G-F 6-7 200 10/21/1982 Cincinnati R
Shawne Williams F 6-9 225 02/16/1986 Memphis R
Josh Powell F 6-9 225 01/25/1983 North Carolina State 1
Rawle Marshall G-F 6-7 190 02/20/1982 Oakland University (MI) 1

CUT:

John Edwards C 7-0 275 07/31/1981 Kent State 2

Orien Greene G 6-4 208 02/04/1982 Louisiana-Lafayette 1

Jimmie Hunter G 6-4 180 12/24/1977 Life University R

Sean Lampley F-G 6-6 213 09/03/1979 California 2

EDIT:

I'm going to change my mind about 82 times over the next few weeks, so I hold to the "It's too early and I need to see more" line.

BoomBaby33
10-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Trade him to Portland for a second rounder in 2015. OR, Maybe if we are lucky, the judge will convict him, then the contract could be terminated. OR, just cut him period. OR suspend him for the season. WHY NOT? He just blew up the whole Pacer PR plan for this year in one lap dance. How about that. In any case, you lose the distraction. The rest of the Pacers can move on. I cant imagine how p.o.'d TPTB is. I would be furious.

Even though it was against 2nd, 3rd, even 4th stringers, did you see the athleticism, the enthusiam, the hustle on the floor last night. I was completely impressed with Greene, Baston, Marshall, and Powell. These type of players even make Saras a better player too. The Pacers have a bunch of hungry young players willing to step it up. We dont need Jackson.

I did this quick auditing in another thread and I want to share it on here again (Sorry). My theory: Jackson salary = loss of fan support $. What is 3000 fans worth per year? Average $75 person per game with ticket, parking, refreshments, gear, etc... 3000 times 75 times 41 games = $9,225,000, which is even greater than his salary. If Jackson stays, there are at least that many fans the hit the road (judging from the general consensus of the media, the papaers, message boards, radio talk shows, etc...). Indiana fans despise Jackson now.

Just cut him, pay him, and gain our fan support back.

Who would I cut? JACKSON, Edwards, #12, and Hunter (Snap would hurt the most to me)

BoomBaby33
10-12-2006, 08:03 PM

EXACTLY - Jackson is a cancer. Ever since he showed up in indy, nothing but bad has happened. At this point, I would almost attribute his antics to escalating Artest's bad behavior.

BoomBaby33
10-12-2006, 08:07 PM

Anyways, the win was extremely uplifting: Go Pacers.

Great point - no matter how bad things are - WINNING makes things better.

Go Pacers!

BlueNGold
10-12-2006, 10:30 PM
OK, I've thought about this alot and I think we should go Big & Fast.

Keepers:

Jamaal Tinsley G 6-3 185 02/28/1978 Iowa State 5
Al Harrington F 6-9 245 02/17/1980 St. Patrick's HS (NJ) 8
David Harrison C 7-0 280 08/15/1982 Colorado 2
Jeff Foster C-F 6-11 250 01/16/1977 Southwest Texas State 7
Danny Granger F 6-9 228 04/20/1983 New Mexico 1
Darrell Armstrong G 6-1 180 06/22/1968 Fayetteville State 12
Maceo Baston F 6-9 215 05/29/1975 Michigan 1
Marquis Daniels G 6-6 200 01/07/1981 Auburn 3
Jermaine O'Neal F-C 6-11 260 10/13/1978 Eau Claire HS (SC) 10
Stephen Jackson F-G 6-8 218 04/05/1978 Oak Hill (VA) 6
Sarunas Jasikevicius G 6-4 197 03/05/1976 Maryland 1
James White G-F 6-7 200 10/21/1982 Cincinnati R
Shawne Williams F 6-9 225 02/16/1986 Memphis R
Josh Powell F 6-9 225 01/25/1983 North Carolina State 1
Rawle Marshall G-F 6-7 190 02/20/1982 Oakland University (MI) 1

CUT:

John Edwards C 7-0 275 07/31/1981 Kent State 2

Orien Greene G 6-4 208 02/04/1982 Louisiana-Lafayette 1

Jimmie Hunter G 6-4 180 12/24/1977 Life University R

Sean Lampley F-G 6-6 213 09/03/1979 California 2

EDIT:

I'm going to change my mind about 82 times over the next few weeks, so I hold to the "It's too early and I need to see more" line.

I think you have it. The only one I would consider swapping would be Greene for Marshall. It is a really tough call from what I have seen. We could use some of that ball pressure Greene gives us. None of our other PG's can disrupt things like he can. Also, it can lead to fast breaks, our new forte'.

...and I think Powell and Baston are going to be great. Both seem like hard workers and both have talent. They will give Foster and Harrison a run for minutes.

speakout4
10-12-2006, 10:32 PM
The pacers could offer jackson a buyout saying that he would be better off hooking up with another team and a fresh start. The new team can give him a one year contract of about 1M and keep him as long as he behaves. Alternatively the pacers would keep him and play him minimally until he begged for a buyout. I'm sure Jackson's agent would agree that a new start would help him a great deal.

Keep Greene and cut Edwards and Hunter and we are at 15.

JayRedd
10-12-2006, 10:36 PM
The pacers could offer jackson a buyout saying that he would be better off hooking up with another team and a fresh start. The new team can give him a one year contract of about 1M and keep him as long as he behaves. Alternatively the pacers would keep him and play him minimally until he begged for a buyout. I'm sure Jackson's agent would agree that a new start would help him a great deal.

Keep Greene and cut Edwards and Hunter and we are at 15.

I'm not sure a buy-out (if that's an option) gives us any sort of salary cap relief, which I assume to be more of a stumbling block than the contract value itself.

Unclebuck
10-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Cutting Greene would be a stupid decision. He's shown what he can do in the NBA, he played fairly well last season and we need his defense at the point. Were it up to me, I would like to see him in the regular rotation.

Sounds like Greene has made the team

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...plate=printart

Pacers training camp
Broken finger puts Greene on sideline
October 13, 2006

Ordinarily, an injury to a player fighting for a roster spot would be regarded as a severe setback.

Orien Greene, however, has made such a positive early impression with the Indiana Pacers that CEO Donnie Walsh encouraged him to take care of the fractured pinkie finger on his left hand rather than risk further damage.

"We've seen enough," Walsh said he told Greene. "The right thing to do here is get your finger fixed."

What Walsh and coach Rick Carlisle saw in Wednesday's preseason victory over New Jersey was Greene leading a fourth-quarter blitz that overcame a five-point deficit and resulted in a 103-89 victory.

Greene -- claimed off waivers from Boston's roster in July -- had two points, two rebounds, five assists and two steals in the final period, when the Pacers outscored the Nets 30-11.

Team officials couldn't detect when he suffered the injury. He did not attend practice Thursday, and is expected to be out about three weeks. The Pacers open the regular season Nov. 1.

The Pacers have four other point guards in camp. Greene, however, appears secure.

"We need depth at the point position, we need the ability to guard, the ability to bring in an athletic element and an element of tenacity," Carlisle said. "He's a good player offensively, too. He's got a good feel for the game. He's worked hard on his shooting.

"We really like him; otherwise, we wouldn't have claimed him."