PDA

View Full Version : Donnie and Larry press conference at 5:45

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm sure this info is in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

For out of towners. WTHR.com

Do we expect any news out of this

indyman37
10-11-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure what to expect at all. But I think Larry will really open up about the topic now because of the charges.

Hicks
10-11-2006, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure what to expect at all. But I think Larry will really open up about the topic now because of the charges.

I completely disagree. I think until he's found guilty or innocent, comments about Jackson will remain safe and/or neutral.

DisplacedKnick
10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm sure this info is in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

Not based on the statement they released which seems to imply they'll keep soft-peddling this.

FSU-IU
10-11-2006, 05:14 PM

Come on...you know the answer to that....'we will let the judicial process play this out'......or......'innocent until proven guilty'.........

It will be more fun predicting exactly what we won't hear:
1) SjAx embarrassed the **** out of us too
2) We look like morons for sticking with ANOTHER player for far too long
3) We wouldn't buy season tickets to watch this **** either
4) This is just the tip of the iceberg...wait until we turn in a 35 win season.....
5) We are just glad that Jamall has a minion to take the blame for him

Any other guesses?????

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 05:16 PM
I wish the Pacers could distance themselves from Jackson, not sure what they could do leagally and within the CBA, but announcing Jax has been suspended for the season would I think help the pacers with the PR nightmare, but short of saying Jax's contract has been terminated, I'm not sure how the Pacers can make this go away.

I cannot believe this is happening. Eveidently Jackson changed his story three times, and Brizzi paints a pretty bleak picture

Matney33
10-11-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm still looking forward the game tonight.

indyman37
I completely disagree. I think until he's found guilty or innocent, comments about Jackson will remain safe and/or neutral.
Your probably right. I just wish he would say what he really thinks at the press confrences. But usually they just recite prepared speaches.

Frank Slade

Yes, not too much they CAN say about the specific charges, right now.

Unless they are actually taking some form of action themselves.

indyman37
10-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Eveidently Jackson changed his story three times
Yeah, I was reading an article on Indystar.com and it said that Jack said he wasn't punched in the mouth.

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
http://wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=5526053&ClientType=Printable

Prosecutors say Stephen Jackson helped beat up a handicapped patron named Quentin "Fingers" Willford. Jackson also fired his gun before and after Quentin's cousin tried to run him over with his car.

The players all claimed it was self defense, but Carl Brizzi doesn't buy it.

"This person known as Fingers was knocked to the ground during the fight. Mr. Jackson went to his car and grabbed his handgun, inserted himself into the fight, according to his own statements. Mr. Jackson had not been struck; he kicked this individual on the ground, fired somewhere between one and three rounds into the sky and then walked back to his car to put his handgun away and then this other vehicle Deon Willford was driving struck him," Brizzi said.

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm still looking forward the game tonight.

Oh, I guess you haven't heard the Pacers franchise has been banned from the NBA.

indyman37
10-11-2006, 05:22 PM
The story just keeps getting worse for some reason.

DisplacedKnick
10-11-2006, 05:24 PM
They have quite a few eyewitnesses - dancers & people waiting to pick dancers up after closing - who contradict the Pacers' account of things. Not so much who started the altercation - nobody really knows - but that Jackson escalated it from some shouting in a parking lot into a shootout.

ABADays
10-11-2006, 05:26 PM
We could conduct this press conference ourselves. Nothing new - just an appearance by the Pacers. Anything else would be totally shocking.

sweabs
10-11-2006, 05:28 PM
How can I listen to this online?

Frank Slade
10-11-2006, 05:29 PM
How can I listen to this online?

Just a guess but I bet. wnde.com and wibc.com will carry it.

aero
10-11-2006, 05:33 PM
so who here thinks Jackson should be suspended by the Pacers/NBA ?

sweabs
10-11-2006, 05:34 PM
I am connected to wnde.com right now and they are talking about the issue at hand, so hopefully they will broadcast the conference.

ChicagoJ
10-11-2006, 05:36 PM

Yep.

I predictr they'll say that all parties are cooperating with authorities, that Stevie will surrender in the morning (as previously reported) and there will not be a question and answer session.

The entire press conference will last 45 seconds.

ABADays
so who here thinks Jackson should be suspended by the Pacers/NBA ?

I don't think the Pacers or the NBA can suspend him at THIS particular point.

aero
yeah same here. they are praising James White right now

Los Angeles
10-11-2006, 05:39 PM
I won't be able to watch - (sound has to stay turned down while I work) - please post details.

Thanks!

able
10-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Statement from Indiana Pacers CEO/President Donnie Walsh
Oct. 11, 2006 “As has been reported, charges were filed today against Stephen Jackson as a continuation from the incident of Oct. 6. As to the charges brought, there is a presumption of innocence and we will let the judicial process run its course. As we have stated, we regret the incident and hope for a quick resolution. The NBA office has been informed and we will be in contact with league office as the process continues. The Pacers are strong advocates of anti-violence campaigns as they have been throughout the franchise’s history.”

Los Angeles
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Statement from Indiana Pacers CEO/President Donnie Walsh
Oct. 11, 2006 “As has been reported, charges were filed today against Stephen Jackson as a continuation from the incident of Oct. 6. As to the charges brought, there is a presumption of innocence and we will let the judicial process run its course. As we have stated, we regret the incident and hope for a quick resolution. The NBA office has been informed and we will be in contact with league office as the process continues. The Pacers are strong advocates of anti-violence campaigns as they have been throughout the franchise’s history.”

It's official - no action until conviction. We're stuck talking about this crap for 6 months minimum. We're stuck with Jackson.

There goes another season.

:kickcan:

sweabs
10-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Donnie: "This came as a jolt to us that this incident occurred. We know our players were wrong for being out late at night at a night club. Past that, we weren't sure what took place."

Donnie: "There is a presumption of innocence. The normal course has been to let the player play until the issue is resolved".

Larry: "The one thing about Steven is that he has been working really hard. He came in with the right frame of mind. It's disappointing any time your players get into some trouble. The one thing about it is that we'll let it run it's course."

Larry: "We'll trade anybody if we know it will make us a better team".

Donnie: "This is very damaging. During this summer we went out trying to change this team, and we were very optimistic about things. This incident has kind of tarnished everything and we're going to have to overcome that and the only way to overcome that is by our behaviour and our play on the court."

Donnie: "I was pleased with the way the team reacted to this incident. They continued to play hard at practice. I like the attitude that this team has continued to show. Jermaine O'Neal has provided a lot of leadership and has conducted himself in a professional matter and has been working harder than anyone."

Larry: "Stephen is very upset. He knows it's a major embarassment to the franchise and has taken it very hard. We hope to get Stephen back onto the court soon."

Donnie: "I hope so (responding to whether he wants Stephen back on the court). It will come back to what we thought before this incident - Stephen was coming in focussed ready to play and understood some of the things that people felt negative about and he was going to change those things - and those things will have to be done now".

aero
10-11-2006, 05:48 PM
Larry just said if he had to he would trade jackson

"ive always said im open to a trade if its going to make us a better team"

not a direct quote but thats about what he said

Lord Helmet
10-11-2006, 05:52 PM
It's official - no action until conviction. We're stuck talking about this crap for 6 months minimum. We're stuck with Jackson.

There goes another season.

:kickcan:
I'm damn sick of this. Every DAMN year.

It never ends.

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
The part that really got me was a question by Sam Smith who asked DW how he feels now tha tthe pacers are the butt of jokes and so forth, Donnie said it has been heart breaking to be honest with you, after all we have built over the past 20 years.

This was towards the end of the press conference WTHR had already borken away

DisplacedKnick
10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Look for next year's training camp to be held in Valentine, Nebraska.

(sigh) I should just call my sister tonight and get it over with.

Slick Pinkham
10-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Larry: "Stephen is very upset. He knows it's a major embarassment to the franchise and has taken it very hard. We hope to get Stephen back onto the court soon."

Donnie: "I hope so (responding to whether he wants Stephen back on the court).

:puke:

ABADays
10-11-2006, 05:58 PM
The part that really got me was a question by Sam Smith who asked DW how he feels now tha tthe pacers are the butt of jokes and so forth, Donnie said it has been heart breaking to be honest with you, after all we have built over the past 20 years.

This was towards the end of the press conference WTHR had already borken away

I'm going to withhold saying anything about Donnie and Larry. I have to think a little more about what I think about their passiveness the past three years. However, it also breaks my heart for the franchise too. They've just been too good for so long to be dumped on like this. Mel and Herb deserve a hell of a lot better than this.

MSA2CF
10-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Not even thinking about the Pacers side of things, I think Stephen should be traded for his own well-being. Maybe Indianapolis just isn't the right place for him at this time in his life.

Tyrion
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM

Donnie: "I hope so (responding to whether he wants Stephen back on the court). It will come back to what we thought before this incident - Stephen was coming in focussed ready to play and understood some of the things that people felt negative about and he was going to change those things - and those things will have to be done now".

WTF!!?? They want him back on the court!?! What has happened to the Pacers? Oh, and where are all the jackson apologists?

ABADays
10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Not even thinking about the Pacers side of things, I think Stephen should be traded for his own well-being. Maybe Indianapolis just isn't the right place for him at this time in his life.

How about isn't the right place for him in this life?

SycamoreKen
10-11-2006, 06:04 PM
:puke:

I agree. I've extremely disappointed. Considering his history they have every right to suspend him with pay until this is resolved.

naptown
10-11-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm going to withhold saying anything about Donnie and Larry. I have to think a little more about what I think about their passiveness the past three years. However, it also breaks my heart for the franchise too. They've just been too good for so long to be dumped on like this. Mel and Herb deserve a hell of a lot better than this.

Passiveness? How the hell do you KNOW what they were doing? Just because every thing they did was not in the papers or on ESPN does not mean they were passive and just let this crap happen.

I love how you people have turned your personal speculations into some kind of fact. It makes you all look like a bunch of women at the fence post tossing unfounded gossip around.

SycamoreKen
10-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Isn't that what most of the converstion is on here, even game related? Jackson has shown so much bad judgement at this and other times I wouldn't want him on the court.

naptown
10-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh, and where are all the jackson apologists?

Right here is one of them.

But as soon as it came out that he initially lied about what happened then he lost all credibility in my book. Your word is everything. That is the only true way you can judge ones integrity. Regardless of what I felt about him as a ball player, I never had a reason to think he lacked integrity as person. Until now.

Lying about this and trying to put the blame 100% on people that were not 100% at fault is a pretty low act. An act that could of unjustly landed those people in prison. Which is worse in my book than what ACTUALLY took place at Club Rio in the first place.

gilpdawg
10-11-2006, 06:17 PM
They can't do anything guys. Come on now. We all know that if they try to suspend him for something that happened AWAY from the team, and he's not convicted yet, that the player's association will NOT let that happen. Innocent until proven guilty. If he's found guilty, he'll never play for the Pacers again, IMO, but their hands are tied right now if they want to avoid a grievance on top of everything else.

I'm the farthest thing from a Jax apologist that you will ever find, but I'm being realistic here.
Nothing would make me happier than for them to give him the boot. But it just can't and won't happen.

naptown
10-11-2006, 06:20 PM
They can't do anything guys. Come on now. We all know that if they try to suspend him for something that happened AWAY from the team, and he's not convicted yet, that the player's association will NOT let that happen. Innocent until proven guilty. If he's found guilty, he'll never play for the Pacers again, IMO, but their hands are tied right now if they want to avoid a grievance on top of everything else.

I'm the farthest thing from a Jax apologist that you will ever find, but I'm being realistic here.
Nothing would make me happier than for them to give him the boot. But it just can't and won't happen.

QFFT

ChicagoJ
10-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Passiveness? How the hell do you KNOW that they were doing? Just because every thing they did was not in the papers or on ESPN does not mean they were passive and just let this crap happen.

I love how you people have turned your personal speculations into some kind of fact. It makes you all look like a bunch of women at the fence post tossing unfounded gossip around.

Then there are two choices,

passiveness, which seems to be confirmed by "we fell in love with talent" and "[now], its up to us"

Or,

They really were trying to get this under control the entire time and just failed miserably because the players they put on this team were just not controllable (which would make "holding onto them for too long" a passive response so this is still leading back to the same place.")

Neither one of those choices makes me feel good about Donnie and Larry right now.

microwave_oven
10-11-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm not really sure where to put this, but I know that many of you would like to hear it. Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird have called for a meeting tomorrow between all of the executives and advisers. Now my friend is an adviser on this panel and is required to be there. The interesting thing is that my friend only gives advise on trades. So at the very least, the Pacers appear poised to look at their trading options.

With that said, the Pacers attempted to move Jackson this summer, but couldn't find a "reasonable" trade offer. I think that they are now more willing to give up Jackson for less because they would like to earn back some trust with fans. Either way I look for Jax to be gone by December.

Tyrion
Then there are two choices,

passiveness, which seems to be confirmed by "we fell in love with talent" and "[now], its up to us"

Or,

They really were trying to get this under control the entire time and just failed miserably because the players they put on this team were just not controllable (which would make "holding onto them for too long" a passive response so this is still leading back to the same place.")

Neither one of those choices makes me feel good about Donnie and Larry right now.

100% agree. There is plenty of blame to go around, but the lack of caring about character is incredibly disappointing. Especially, since even the fans could see it long ago.

Pacersfan46
You guys are ridiculous. This changes nothing.

If you take part in a fight, you'll face assault charges. As has been said previously, if you fire a gun into the air, you'll be facing criminal wrecklessness charges.

It still happened the same way. There was a fight, they took it a step further by attacking him with a deadly weapon (a car). If he had shot AT the car, he'd only be facing the assault charges, which is standard procedure when something like this happens.

Geez, you guys overreact like nobodys business. Christ.

Tyrion
10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm not really sure where to put this, but I know that many of you would like to hear it. Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird have called for a meeting tomorrow between all of the executives and advisers. Now my friend is an adviser on this panel and is required to be there. The interesting thing is that my friend only gives advise on trades. So at the very least, the Pacers appear poised to look at their trading options.

With that said, the Pacers attempted to move Jackson this summer, but couldn't find a "reasonable" trade offer. I think that they are now more willing to give up Jackson for less because they would like to earn back some trust with fans. Either way I look for Jax to be gone by December.

I have a serious question about this. Obviously, it isn't allowed, but what team would actually take Jax right now? Seriously, I can't think of one team that would take him for nothing. If we were talking about a talent like Artest, at least someone would gamble, but I don't see that here. At best he is an average NBA player, below average starting SG. With the baggage, who would gamble on that?

microwave_oven
10-11-2006, 06:44 PM
I have a serious question about this. Obviously, it isn't allowed, but what team would actually take Jax right now? Seriously, I can't think of one team that would take him for nothing. If we were talking about a talent like Artest, at least someone would gamble, but I don't see that here. At best he is an average NBA player, below average starting SG. With the baggage, who would gamble on that?

I'm sure the meeting is being held to figure that out.

Los Angeles
10-11-2006, 06:44 PM

I'm FUMING!!!

If I reading this right, it means THEY PASSED ON OFFERS! They had a chance for damage control and THEY BLEW IT!!!

THEY BLEW IT!!!

http://www.angrybanana.freeservers.com/images/angry_banana.jpg

I feel much better now. Go Pacers.

Frank Slade
10-11-2006, 06:50 PM
What's troubling is, no matter the outcome of these charges, can you imagine the stigma and "stuff" with every game, that this team is going to be put through early on..

ABADays
10-11-2006, 06:50 PM

If you take part in a fight, you'll face assault charges. As has been said previously, if you fire a gun into the air, you'll be facing criminal wrecklessness charges.

It still happened the same way. There was a fight, they took it a step further by attacking him with a deadly weapon (a car). If he had shot AT the car, he'd only be facing the assault charges, which is standard procedure when something like this happens.

Wow - no reason to overreact there is there!?!

Coop
10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
I hate to play the what-if games..But after everything that has gone on in the past 3 years, I have to wonder what it would be like if we hadn't traded Harrington for Jack. If we could've traded Artest for someone else instead, we probably wouldn't have had most of our problems in the last couple of years.

travmil
10-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I've been pretty much silent on most of this until now. When I first heard about the incident I and many others came to Jax's defense. But that was based on the information available at the time. Not any more. I will say this, and this is an open letter to Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird so if anyone who has connections to the Pacers happens to read this letter I hope and pray you'll show it to them.

Dear Donnie and Larry,

You've been punked. Not only have you been punked, you've gone against every thing you KNOW is right and defended the guy that has punked you. Why on earth would you react in this way. Stephen lied to the police, he lied to Pacers fans, and he more than likely walked into both of your offices and LIED RIGHT IN YOUR FACES! That alone would make him not welcome in my house, let alone worthy of my dollars. I hate to see this happen to you especially Larry, because you're letting a guy who we now know isn't worth two ****s tarnish the image of the guy that most Hoosiers consider to be a legend. And Donnie, please tell me you're not going to let this guy crap all over everything you've worked so hard to build, and then rebuild. The fans of this franchise deserve better. They didn't deserve the brawl, they didn't deserve watching two seasons implode before their very eyes, and now when you actually have a chance to do the right thing, they certainly don't deserve to see you defend a guy that could possibly implode a third season. Please tell me you're not letting this happen. There is only one way to deal with this situation. You MUST break every NBA rule, cut him and eat his salary. It's the only way to save face. I'd have FAR more respect for an action like this than I could ever have for your pathetic defense of this man. Please do it, soon.

Sincerely,

travmil

AesopRockOn
10-11-2006, 07:12 PM

C'mon now, he's better than an average NBA player! He's about an average starting SG. You can't trade him right now obviously so you have one option which sucks but how many times have we had to deal with little options; we'll pull through. Go Pacers.

Edit: Trav, are you really going to send that? (It could be more political)

Pacersfan46
10-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Wow - no reason to overreact there is there!?!

Actually there's never a reason to "overreact", hence the "over" part of the word. :laugh:

Slick Pinkham
10-11-2006, 07:36 PM

They can't suspend him without pay but they have every right to make him permanently inactive with pay.

The Pacers are obligated to pay him. In no way shape or form are they obligated to PLAY him.

Slick Pinkham
10-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Uhura has fired up the universal translator:

DW:

Fans don't matter. They'll show up to see whover we put in our uniform.

Larry: Duh... yeah! What he said! yuk, yuk...

DW: The inmates are in charge of the asylum, sure, but what choice do you have as fans? You suckers will pay through the nose anyway, as long as we keep feeding the feel-good stories to our media lapdogs.

Larry: Duh... yeah! What he said! yuk, yuk...

McKeyFan
10-11-2006, 07:58 PM
They can't suspend him without pay but they have every right to make him permanently inactive with pay.

The Pacers are obligated to pay him. In no way shape or form are they obligated to PLAY him.

Totally agree.

They should announce that he will be immediately suspended (with pay) until they have more time to consider the matter.

PacerMan
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Larry just said if he had to he would trade jackson

"ive always said im open to a trade if its going to make us a better team"

not a direct quote but thats about what he said

Cutting him and eating the contract would be an improvement for this team.

DisplacedKnick
10-11-2006, 11:18 PM

Uh, try this:

There was a parking lot argument, Jackson took it a step further by going to his car and getting a gun. Then, after Maddox started pounding on Fingers, Jackson started kicking him. Then he started firing his gun in the air. After that the car hit him.

He took a parking lot shouting match and turned it into a gunfight. Instead of getting in his car and driving away, he grabbed a gun out of it and started shooting.

McKeyFan
10-11-2006, 11:23 PM

I think Jax is your poster-child for overreaction. Allah.

ChicagoJ
10-11-2006, 11:29 PM

I assume the overreaction you're commenting on is people that are surprised charges were made against SJax.

Yes, reasonable minds should've expected everything that happened today. The original account, "These guys were victims and were only defending themselves" seemed too good to be true because it was... indeed, false.

Pacesetter
10-12-2006, 12:58 AM
David Morway should introduce, or help lobby to adopt new contract stipulations NBA wide which will alleviate this kind of bs circus in the future.

In my opinion we will recover from this episode, but it will take time & there will be some sacrifices, but if you ask me, we are a much better franchise than we were 20 years ago, and even with the "tarnished" image we will persevere, and become better than before. These pains are necessary imo, we're almost there, and we've got the right mixture of people. I love our coaching staff more than ever. Davis, Person, DB, & Forcier are a good nucleus of experience, we're on the right track. One night at Club Rio will NOT stop this team!

Go Pacers!!!! :cool:

Naptown_Seth
10-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Right here is one of them.

But as soon as it came out that he initially lied about what happened then he lost all credibility in my book. Your word is everything. That is the only true way you can judge ones integrity. Regardless of what I felt about him as a ball player, I never had a reason to think he lacked integrity as person. Until now.

Lying about this and trying to put the blame 100% on people that were not 100% at fault is a pretty low act. An act that could of unjustly landed those people in prison. Which is worse in my book than what ACTUALLY took place at Club Rio in the first place.
And I'll join you in the matter. I'm certain that neither of us were defending the kind of stuff we are hearing now. Things are taking a drastic change.

I even voted that I think he's done as a Pacer because I get the feeling that some of this is going to stick and the Pacers will be ready to cut bait. This will be repeat behavior, just like Ron, and while the team could certainly use Jack they don't need him (or a great replacement). He might end up being a 2nd round pick, but I get the feeling that if this stuff is true that they won't care all that much.

Then again, shouldn't we have some concerns about what Tinsley and Daniels had to say about what happened? And what about it being their friends right in the thick of this?

My only question now is will this story flip-flop yet again as more witnesses come forward or more clarification is made.

Team Indy
10-12-2006, 04:45 AM

How about another favour from George Shinn? Jackson and Foster/Marshall/Powell/Armstrong for Desmond Mason. They kinda need a 2 guard and we kinda need to sweeten the pot.

By the way, if we are not going to make a trade, should we just cut Armstrong and sign him on as a coach, thus enabling us to keep Marshall, Greene and Powell?

D-BONE
10-12-2006, 07:39 AM
By the way, if we are not going to make a trade, should we just cut Armstrong and sign him on as a coach, thus enabling us to keep Marshall, Greene and Powell?

Interesting idea b/c from what I saw of them last night I'd like to keep all three of those guys supposedly in the mix fighting for a final roster spot. I guess especially Marshall and Greene are thought to be in that boat.

Marshall could be even more important depending on this nebulous situation regarding Jack's future. Could they find a way to not to play him in the interim and, if so, would they actually do it? Or if they do play him and he's convicted, then they have to deal with another suspension induced personnel shift. Plus who knows when the legal issue will even be resolved.