PDA

View Full Version : Has Jack played his last game as a Pacer?

Isaac
10-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I think I definitley would have said NO 2 days ago but with all of this new stuff about him being charged coming out, we may have seen the last of Stephen, whether he's in jail, released, or least likely; traded.

Whoops, I meant to make this a public poll, can someone do that?

Trader Joe
10-11-2006, 02:37 PM
The word felony is his death sentence with the Pacers IMO. He may play again, but he will be gone ASAP.

Jermaniac
10-11-2006, 02:40 PM
How the hell is he gonna be gone? Who is going to trade for Jack? We wont cut him because they would have to eat his contract.

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't know

Bball
10-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Ask the question again if the felony charge is upheld and he's convicted.

-Bball

DisplacedKnick
10-11-2006, 02:49 PM
He'll play. If it goes to trial and he's convicted that'll be another story.

PacerFan31
10-11-2006, 02:51 PM
No one knows.

We should be used to this by now lol, same old ****, different day.

Natston
10-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Boo! Private Poll...

Pacesetter
10-11-2006, 02:57 PM
This is a bummer!

Los Angeles
10-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Tough choice between 2 and 4. So I left it blank.

ABADays
10-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Like someone else said - you have to have a taker before he's a goner.

Young
10-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Jackson probably hasn't played his last game as a Pacer.

Larry will probably handle this the same way he did Artest, and that is to keep him until he absoultely has to trade him.

There are a few teams out there that would take Jackson likely the Cavs, Wolves, and Nuggets maybe. The offers wouldn't excite fans but Jackson doesn't exactly excite other GMs.

Ragnar
10-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Sort of Kobe is done playing you mean?

naptown
10-11-2006, 04:08 PM
If there is ANY takers out there that dont require us taking on more years than his 4 (which is highly unlikely there are many contracts out there that are longer than his) then I say we do it. I dont care who the player is at this point.

Shade
10-11-2006, 04:14 PM
He'll play again. Even if he's convicted, and heaven forbid goes to jail, it won't be immediately.

Smooth_for_Pres.
10-11-2006, 04:23 PM
We've seen situations like this before and the player has always been sent SOMEWHERE.
The Pacers, his agent, lawyer, whatever could certainly spin this to the right team with the right need.
I DO think we would have to send someone with him though, so who would that be?

waxman
10-11-2006, 04:31 PM
dump this *** clown already... jesus he's embarrassed and tarnished this organization enough. He's had problems every season he's been here. When is enough....enough?

FSU-IU
10-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Will SJax be at the game tonight to support his team? I'm going to predict that he won't be there...probably not feeling well or something like that.

SycamoreKen
10-11-2006, 04:35 PM
He'll play again. Even if he's convicted, and heaven forbid goes to jail, it won't be immediately.

As I stated in the other thread, if he is convicted and allowed to play for this team again then I am finished with the Pacers. Like Buck, I don't know if he will play for us again.

RamBo_Lamar
10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
He won't be convicted of a felony, and might get convicted of just one of
the misdemeanor charges, if any at all.

I beleive we will see a prime example of how our justice system is for sale,
and how with enough money, you can buy your way out of trouble.

Getting Voyles to represent him was a good (the best) start, and they
will likely clobber the prosecutions case.

Jack will get out of all of it is my bet. Whether or not he resumes his
career here though, I can't say, but would guess yes since his trade
value has been so diminished.

So my vote would be one that is not included in the given choices:

Yes he wiil be back in the blue & gold, but he's not completely innocent.

Hicks
10-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Ask the question again if the felony charge is upheld and he's convicted.

-Bball

He'll play. If it goes to trial and he's convicted that'll be another story.

Yep. I voted for the one that says I think he'll play here again, but I'd rather he didn't, but I admit there's always a chance he'll be found innocent. I'm not holding my breath, however.

Isaac
10-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Sort of Kobe is done playing you mean?

This is Indiana, not LA. Larry and Donnie might say, this guys not worth the fan base we're losing, let's just get rid of him for whatever we can get.

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Yep. I voted for the one that says I think he'll play here again, but I'd rather he didn't, but I admit there's always a chance he'll be found innocent. I'm not holding my breath, however.

I don't think he'll ever play for the Pacers again. He'll sit out this season, his contract will be voided and he'll sign with another NBA team next summer. I really believe that is what will happen. But it will be an ugly process

DisplacedKnick
10-11-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm coming to believe we may hear, "The Pacers have granted Stephen Jackson a paid Leave of Absence while he works on his legal defense."

sweabs
10-11-2006, 05:38 PM
I hope so.

As soon as we made the Marquis trade, I wanted him to be inserted into that starting lineup. I just remember a few years ago when Marquis got starter's minutes and averaged some huge numbers. And considering James White is more than ready to play, bring it on. Get this knucklehead off our team and move on.

croz24
10-11-2006, 05:39 PM
trade him to the knicks. they're always in need of guards. plus, we might get a good pick out of it...

Slick Pinkham
10-11-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm coming to believe we may hear, "The Pacers have granted Stephen Jackson a paid Leave of Absence while he works on his legal defense."

please let this be true

:pray:

DisplacedKnick
10-11-2006, 05:49 PM
please let this be true

:pray:

Sorry - paraphrasing DW: "The normal course of things in the NBA is that there's a presumption of innocence and the player continues as was and will play. Now if he's convicted then we'll deal with punishment at that point."

I'm sure an exact quote will show up in the press fairly soon.

Slick Pinkham
10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I can't believe that on opening night Indy fans will have a chance to boo Stephen Jackarse.

Maybe I'm just a hopeful kinda guy.

Shack80
10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
I hope he gets convicted of a felony and gets Jail time. Flashing a gun and fireing it in public is stupid and dangerous. I would imagine if he goes to jail there is a way to not pay him and maybe break his contract. He is a criminal and should be treated as one. I have little doubt he will play again this season, since it will take the better part of a year for the legal system to work.

AesopRockOn
10-11-2006, 06:13 PM
That's messed up if you think Jax doesn't care about the team or his position on it; pretty much everybody has come back from this summer ready to bring it on the court having done quite a bit of preparation. Jax supporting his teammates is unrelated to his recent criminal charges. If you want to kill/oust him (which all of us feel is inevitable right now), that's fine, just do it for the right reasons.

!Pacers-Fan!
10-11-2006, 06:15 PM
:( :( :( :(

McKeyFan
10-11-2006, 08:09 PM
I have little doubt he will play again this season, since it will take the better part of a year for the legal system to work.

I was thinking just the opposite. Since it will take a while to get to trial, he may be hanging around a lot longer than many of us would like.

Kstat
10-11-2006, 08:13 PM

He's already ON probation, so he can't take probation here and get off scot free.

If he gets convicted, he's getting jail time, no matter what.

Bball
10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
In the case of Kobe Bryant, the Lakers WANTED him on the team, a lot. I doubt they would've had any second thoughts about ever signing him in the first place. It's not like they would've preferred to void his contract so wherever I read someone using that as a boilerplate for this situation really wasn't exactly comparing apples to apples.

-Bball

JayRedd
10-12-2006, 12:38 AM
If there is ANY takers out there that dont require us taking on more years than his 4 (which is highly unlikely there are many contracts out there that are longer than his) then I say we do it. I dont care who the player is at this point.

I doubt we could get Jerome James. I'm being 100% serious.

I have to assume we're gonna eat this contract.

3rdStrike
10-12-2006, 01:18 AM
I voted "Yeah, but I wish he was gone." It's not like the Pacers will get any value for him. And even if they could squeeze a draft pick out of some team, who is gonna deal for a guy who might be spending time in jail during the season?

PacerFan31
10-12-2006, 01:39 AM
He's already ON probation, so he can't take probation here and get off scot free.

If he gets convicted, he's getting jail time, no matter what.

Exactly.....6 months minimum.

CableKC
10-12-2006, 01:49 AM
I think this was brought up before in another thread.....but are these legal issues really as bad as any other "criminal activity" that any other NBA player has gone during the course of a season?

Seriously...has there ever been a case in Professional sports where a professional Athelete has ever been convicted of a crime and was forced to go to prison?

I don't agree with what SJax and Crew did......leading to this PR nightmare and distraction...or even whether he was right or wrong in this.....but I am going to guess that this is going to turn out like any other Celebrity/Professional Athlete case that will probably end in some community service and probation for SJax after or during the season.

Nothing bad enough is going to happen to SJax where he goes to prison and therefore forcing the Pacers to cut him. Even if he partially gets out of this in one piece....I know that its easy to say.....but there is reality that we have to face.....unless there is some clause in the contract that allows them to get out of paying a majority of his contact....I don't think that TPTB are simply going to "eat" a 4-year contract that is worth $26mil for what essentially boils down to very bad PR issues ( assuming that the situation gets worse ).

The best case scenario is that SJax is traded for next to nothing or some really bad long-term contract or worse....they decide to keep SJax and simply live with the bad PR.

My guess is that we live with SJax and this PR issue is eventually forgotten. Walsh and Bird will simply put out the standard "we regret the situation, our players aren't perfect, we support our players but must move on" response rather then cut SJax and simply live with the bad PR. They are getting good at it since they have been repeating it over the last 2 seasons.

Bball
10-12-2006, 02:15 AM
I think this was brought up before in another thread.....but are these legal issues really as bad as any other "criminal activity" that any other NBA player has gone during the course of a season?

Seriously...has there ever been a case in Professional sports where a professional Athelete has ever been convicted of a crime and was forced to go to prison?

It's happened in the NFL. I believe one case was murder and in another it was drugs.

-Bball

Kstat
10-12-2006, 02:43 AM
LOL you kidding me?

Ever heard of Rae Carruth?

Maurice Clarett ring a bell?

Dr. Goldfoot
10-12-2006, 02:51 AM
The NFL has non-guaranteed contracts.

read this (http://www.askmen.com/sports/business_100/113_sports_business.html) article.

CableKC
10-12-2006, 03:47 AM
LOL you kidding me?

Ever heard of Rae Carruth?

Maurice Clarett ring a bell?

Nope.....I have heard of none of them.....that's why I asked the question. But that's fine.......do you think that what SJax did compares to whatever they did?

I guess I'm looking at this from the point of view that its becoming apparent that he may not be the victim in all this....but I don't feel that it was serious enough to warrant anything more then a slap on the wrist ( especially since he's a professional athlete ). That's why I don't think that TPTB will cut him....I am sure they would if he didn't have a hefty contract...simply for PR reasons......but at $26mil.....there is no way they are going to simply "eat the contract".

Raskolnikov
10-12-2006, 03:57 AM
Looks like he'll still play.

But I wish he was gone. I'd straight out cut him.

tdubb03
10-12-2006, 06:14 AM
I voted for yes but wish he were gone. I've been a Jax supporter for the most part, and in some ways I still do support him. I just want all the distractions and bad press gone. We're loaded at the wing, it's not like we'd have a huge drop-off in production if he were done.

I'd like to see one of two things happen; we trade him ASAP for anything we can get, maybe a 2nd round pick (unlikely) and a contract, or what I think UB said. I'm not sure of the specifics of sitting him this year and his contract being voided, but if there's no trade TPTB should do that.

D-BONE
10-12-2006, 08:13 AM
I don't know if I find an option that really suits how I think and feel about this mess.

The information of the last few days from police reports and charges from the DA definitely upset me. Particularly the shifting accounts by Jack and his obvious direct escalation of the whole melee. I no longer hold out any objectivity or optimism in how I view him in terms of this incident. I had tentatively maintained a modicum of not judging before more details became available.

However now that the legal charges have been levied, this also puts in jeopardy another important distinction for me. His actions in the Club Rio fracas will likely come to have direct impact on the team composition and on-court performance as far as his playing status.

The Pacers, even if they elect or are simply forced to let him remain with the team until the legal process plays out, must now operate with the real possibility of losing him to suspension if he's found guilty and the uncertaintly of when that decision will come. Thus, a significant element of instability is added to the equation.

I would have to agree with Kravitz's column today in that the best thing would for him to be convicted. However, that doesn't solve anything in the short term. At this point, I think it will be interesting to see what the Pacers do, if anything.

Of some of the suggestions here, I like the idea of basically paying him but keeping him conveniently "out" and "away" from the team until the legal part works itself out and/or they can figure out some other acceptable means to move him out. Don't know if that is truly feasible though.

For me it ultimately winds up being an issue of the team as a unit, its season, and its play. Not so much some of the other issues that are frequently touched upon, although I understand those arguments. Still, even in the former arena, I can no longer find any reason that Jack's presence outweighs the benefits of his absence.

Unclebuck
10-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Jackson is facing 90 days in jail up in Oakland County Michigan (I'm sure Kstat will get to visit him, but here is what I heard on Channel 8 laste night

Channel 8 is reporting that the Oakland County prosecutor said that they will not decide whether to enforce the jail time until after the legal problems in Indiana are resolved.

indygeezer
10-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Defense team will ask for a trial far off in the future to properly prepare their defense, then there will be continuances and delays. Trial will probably be held shortly after the season ends.

Conviction and Michigan steps in........

OR...he could ask for a speedy trial just to get it over with and hopefully have "paid the price", including Michigan, before the season ends. Get it over with and let people forget about it...:hmm:

IOW....IMO Jax will play some this year...for the Pacers.

and no trade value???? Somebody took Sheed at his worst period of time....somebody took Bonzi.....somebody took JR....any number would have taken Kobe........

I wonder if we could get Cro back?

JayRedd
10-12-2006, 11:38 AM

Pete Rose is probably the most high-profile guy. He did like 6 months on tax evasion.

Jamal Lewis once ran for 2000 yards in a season. Then he was in jail for 6 months.

Nate Newton did time. (Caught with about 400 lbs of weed. After he retired though, I believe.)

Lawrence Phillips had to have spent some time in jail, I'd imagine.

Barrett Robbins (bi-polar Raiders OL who missed the SuperBowl) is on his way to jail for attempt murder

Isn't Koren Robinson about to do a few months?

I can't think of any NBA guys.

ChicagoJ
10-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Bam Morris.

Kstat
10-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Ugeth Urbina

Kstat
10-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Koren RObinson's about to do 90 days for parole violation.

Isaac
10-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Daryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden.

spazzxb
10-12-2006, 02:40 PM
I think I definitley would have said NO 2 days ago but with all of this new stuff about him being charged coming out, we may have seen the last of Stephen, whether he's in jail, released, or least likely; traded.

Whoops, I meant to make this a public poll, can someone do that?

Why can't you have an option: Jackson will play in the next game, (no bull ****). Leading polls are crap and just **** me off. First you swap the question from your subject line, and then you offer no good answer for someone who feels he could be guilty of a misdameanor but it won't effect his status as a player.

Slick Pinkham
10-12-2006, 04:07 PM
Mike Tyson is one example who returned to sports after doing time.

Isaac
10-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Why can't you have an option: Jackson will play in the next game, (no bull ****). Leading polls are crap and just **** me off. First you swap the question from your subject line, and then you offer no good answer for someone who feels he could be guilty of a misdameanor but it won't effect his status as a player.

Its an easy question, will Jack play again? If you feel that he will then you click yes. You then have another choice to make which is how you feel about that.

How is this so complicated?

EDIT: Now I see what you're saying. I misworded the first question. I meant it to say Yes, and I can't wait to see him back on the floor.