PDA

View Full Version : DNA Test?????

FSU-IU
10-11-2006, 08:26 AM
What the hell? Do you think the Pacer's Brass requested this test? If not, why in the world would this test be authorized for this amount of drugs...and pot at that?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061011/SPORTS04/610110494/1062/NLETTER01

The DNA test will cost taxpayers $800, said Mike Medler, director Indianapolis-Marion County Forensic Services Agency.

Such tests are commonly requested when officers seize large quantities of drugs, but experts say it is very rare for authorities to look for DNA in a misdemeanor case.

Officials did not say why the DNA test was ordered in this case.

RWB
10-11-2006, 08:39 AM
It's all part of the horse and pony show friends. In other words the Pacers and the league will appear to have pulled out all the stops to protect the integrity of the game. CSI is a real popular show with people right now, you think they don't know that?

MagicRat
10-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Election year.......

BillS
10-11-2006, 09:53 AM
Avoiding the appearance of special treatment for NBA stars.

Damned if they do - "Why are they picking on these guys?"
Damned if they don't - "See, no one cares if NBA players smoke pot!"

I'd hate to be the guy who decides not to use an available technology because no one will ever believe it wouldn't have been used in a different case.

Frank Slade
10-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Election year.......

You beat me to the punch, some called it before this even happened. .

Then Fox 59 reported, IPD decided initially not to pursue this any further given the amount, however it was the Prosecutor's call.

LG33
10-11-2006, 10:39 AM
I thought this was gonna be a thread about one of Stephen Jackson's twenty-five kids...but it's about Marquis Daniels' pot - that's right, I said it...

Naptown_Seth
10-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Cost of DNA test?

Actual amount of fine money it would bring in?

Increase in the public safety this would create?

Hey, good looking out Brizzi. Waste some more money why don't you. Did you ever catch all the muderers from the summer's rash of killings? All I heard was that he kid that shot the cab driver turned himself in, what about the rest of them?

What, does his brother-in-law own a DNA lab or something? Can he force everyone that might have smoked the weed to give DNA at this point? Is this even prosecutable as evidence?

Avoiding the appearance of special treatment for NBA stars.
More like ENSURING that appearance, or didn't you read the initial post...

but experts say it is very rare for authorities to look for DNA in a misdemeanor case

Trader Joe
10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
If the weed does belong to a Pacer, the owner would do well and be smart to step up now and admit his mistake rather than have the bad pub of getting nailed by the prosecutor.

RamBo_Lamar
10-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Maybe somebody high up wants to send a message, and that is:

If you are involved with illegal drugs in any way, stay away from our Pacers.

Doesn't sound like too bad of an idea to me.

McKeyFan
10-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Has Tinsley denied the pot was his?

Was he even asked?

Just wondering, in case the DNA/fingerprints match.

McKeyFan
10-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Just read the answer:

"but Tinsley has said the bag did not belong to him."

Trader Joe
10-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Just read the answer:

"but Tinsley has said the bag did not belong to him."

He better hope he never even touched it or hes taking the fall.

Jermaniac
10-11-2006, 01:42 PM
If you guys read the police report you would see that Jamaal's friend the person who was riding with Jamaal, confesed that the weed bag was his.

Knucklehead Warrior
10-11-2006, 01:47 PM
If you guys read the police report .

LINK

Trader Joe
10-11-2006, 01:55 PM
If you guys read the police report you would see that Jamaal's friend the person who was riding with Jamaal, confesed that the weed bag was his.

Jerm, that maybe, but I bet the prosecutor will slap charges on anyone's who's prints are on there.

Since86
10-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Prints and DNA are two different things. Prints are easier/faster to identify, so if they have to go the DNA route, then obviously they didn't find any prints.

ChicagoJ
10-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Raymel Mattox, a friend of Jamaal Tinsley, is charged with possession of marijuana, battery and disorderly conduct.

Presumably, that's the resolution.

vapacersfan
10-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Guys,

There were no fingerprints on the bag, hence why we went to DNA testing. (Which never should happened, talk about a waste of time and tax dollars)

I have heard in the last hour that the passenger in Tinsleys car admitted to teh drugs being his, and as such is being charged with them. I do not have a link on this, however.

Hoop
10-11-2006, 04:28 PM
I remember reading a article a while back about how DNA testing was seriously backed up in this state, you know for murders, rapes, etc. Makes a whole lot of freaking sense to waste time and money for the ownership of less than 2 joints, ridicules.