PDA

View Full Version : Kravitz: What's next? My idea: Let's just move on

MagicRat
10-11-2006, 07:07 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061011/COLUMNISTS01/610110446/1004/SPORTS

October 11, 2006

Bob Kravitz

What's next? My idea: Let's just move on

OK, so has anybody heard a good Pacers joke lately? Anything about the Indiana Trailpacers? Or how Stephen Jackson can take one heck of a charge? I've got to hand it to you people: Some of the stuff in "Let It Out'' and in my e-mails has been a whole lot funnier and more vicious than anything I could create.

And now with the arrest of Dino -- or was it Fingers who fingered Dino, or did Fingers get pinched? -- the whole sordid mess is leaving the realm of spectacle and bordering on tiresome.

On Tuesday afternoon, Jackson returned to practice for the first time since the incident at Club Rio, and, wearing a fat lip that recalled the Will Smith character from the movie "Hitch,'' issued what I truly believe was a heartfelt apology.

Which begged this question:

When do we just move on from all this? Isn't there a three-column statute of limitations, unless it involves Mike Vanderjagt and Peyton Manning? Really, when does the anger and the righteous indignation take a break?
I understand why people are calling talk shows and saying they'll never attend a Pacers game, even though we all know that if the team is winning, those same people will come down with a case of convenient amnesia. The one local franchise that couldn't afford this kind of incident was the Pacers. The one local athlete who could least afford this kind of bad publicity was Jackson, already a target of the crowd's ire.

At some point, though, you get your pound of flesh and then there's nothing left.

What else can Jackson say at this point? He apologized Tuesday, and you had the sense that if he'd been given the chance to answer questions, he would have stood there another two hours and talked about what happened. I have no doubt Jackson is genuinely sorry and hurt by what happened. Jackson is one of those guys, you spend 10 minutes around him, you discover how affable and self-aware he is. It's only when he's on the court that you notice the lack of impulse control and the sullenness.
(The other three guys -- Marquis Daniels, Jamaal Tinsley and Jimmie Hunter -- can apologize whenever the spirit moves them.)

As this whole Club Rio thing has unfolded, I've asked myself whether our perception of this event has been viewed through a racial prism. As one caller to The Star wondered, "If Jeff Foster and Sarunas Jasikevicius were attacked at 3 a.m. outside some upscale nightclub in Broad Ripple, what would the reaction be?''

I think it's a fair question. At least it's one that must be asked.
I do think race played some role in the way this was perceived because race plays a role in the way everything is perceived. If you don't think blacks and whites often look at the world differently, you don't remember the reaction to the O.J. Simpson verdict.

Listen, I don't have much trouble with the fact these guys were out partying at 3 a.m. I was in my 20s once. Thirties. Early 40s . . . (Think Reggie Miller, who sounded off on ESPN Radio the other day, ever stayed out late during training camp? Can I get a lie detector?)
Sure, they showed bad judgment. But that's what you do when you're that age. They didn't have to be at work until noon the next day. When you're 20-something, six hours' sleep is a lifetime.

Nor do I have trouble with the fact they were at, ahem, a gentlemen's club. Been there, done that. No judgments here. Maybe they were spreading the Pacer gospel. Just a thought.

I just don't think you can ignore the gunplay, even though the guns were licensed and legal and lots of NBA players have them.
Or the marijuana, which was not (legal, that is).

Or the fact this involved Jackson and Tinsley, two players many folks wanted out of here even before the latest mess.

Let's not be completely blind: If Jackson, Tinsley, Daniels and Hunter were blindsided by some knife-wielding lunatics while grabbing a burger at Rally's at 6:30 in the evening, half the town would be holding a vigil for the victims and the other half would be hunting down Fingers and Dino.

Maybe I'm naive, but I've got to think if Foster and Jasikevicius had been involved in an early-morning incident that involved gunplay and drugs, this city would be in a similar uproar.

Ultimately, no matter how much screaming and yelling we do, Jackson and Tinsley and the rest of these guys aren't going anywhere. They can't go anywhere. Even if the Pacers wanted to give them away for nothing -- which would be dumb, not to mention impossible -- the rules of the salary cap wouldn't allow that. When you give up x-million in salary, you must get back x-million in salary.

At the risk of sounding reasonable here, I think the best thing we can do is quit overreacting -- OK, fine, I'll stop, too -- and just, well, move on.
Although if you've got any more good one-liners, I'm starting to keep a folder.

pantsfish
10-11-2006, 07:17 AM
I bet he wrote this just to **** you PD people off

Will Galen
10-11-2006, 08:02 AM
After Kevin Costner's character Billy Chapel finishes throwing a perfect game in the movie "For Love of the Game", a New York fan says, "I have to hand it to you Chapel, good game!" This is after he's been yelling insults at Chapel the whole game.

That's the way I feel about this Kravitz column. I haven't thought much of his column's, in fact I don't usually read them, but the title of it hooked me. So I have to hand it to Kravitz, this was a very good column! He pretty much nailed the way I feel. I want to move on!

The problem is with the police testing the bag of marijuana for DNA we most likely aren't done with this yet. We will probably start out playing well and then a Pacer will get arrested and that will cause another season to go down the crapper.

Good column Kravitz! Good column!

indygeezer
10-11-2006, 08:29 AM
After Kevin Costner's character Billy Chapel finishes throwing a perfect game in the movie "For Love of the Game", a New York fan says, "I have to hand it to you Chapel, good game!" This is after he's been yelling insults at Chapel the whole game.

That's the way I feel about this Kravitz column. I haven't thought much of his column's, in fact I don't usually read them, but the title of it hooked me. So I have to hand it to Kravitz, this was a very good column! He pretty much nailed the way I feel. I want to move on!

The problem is with the police testing the bag of marijuana for DNA we most likely aren't done with this yet. We will probably start out playing well and then a Pacer will get arrested and that will cause another season to go down the crapper.

Completely agree (with BOTH pricks)

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Kravitz makes several interesting points. But most of all I appreciate the fact that he isn't just repeating his normal stuff.

ChicagoJ
10-11-2006, 10:01 AM
:laugh:

Now he's stealing from Sassan/Earl. Or at least the headline writer is.

SycamoreKen
10-11-2006, 10:06 AM
I agree with him. Time to move on.

BillS
10-11-2006, 10:08 AM
OK, which PD poster kidnapped Kravitz and submitted a column under his name?

Seriously, this is well thought out and touches on one of the biggest points I've made on this whole thing - have our standards changed? To me, if it weren't for the gunfire and the car incident, how different is this from our heroes the ABA Pacers whooping it up until all hours and getting into a good ol' punchout or two?

Skaut_Ech
10-11-2006, 10:08 AM

Not to digress to badly, but do you all realoize how ridiculous it is to test the bag for DNA. It takes weeks to get results back for search warrants for phone records. Months to get 911 tapesw back. Our crime lab is WAY overworked and generally, we're told that unless something is REALLY important, don't put the request in, casue it can take forevere and it better damn well help your case.

But there are going to DNA test a marginal amount of weed? Yeah, okay...

Will Galen
10-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Not to digress to badly, but do you all realoize how ridiculous it is to test the bag for DNA. It takes weeks to get results back for search warrants for phone records. Months to get 911 tapesw back. Our crime lab is WAY overworked and generally, we're told that unless something is REALLY important, don't put the request in, casue it can take forevere and it better damn well help your case.

I'm reading it's the prosecutors call.

FrenchConnection
10-11-2006, 10:24 AM
I have no idea where everyone, including Kravitz, is getting that they are testing for DNA. The police said that they are testing it for prints, not DNA.

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw that there was indeed a DNA test ordered. Someone is really hoping that they can nail Tins on this and ride his lack of popularity into reelection.

blanket
10-11-2006, 10:25 AM

Maybe it was Snap's nickel bag, so it won't be an issue... :pray:

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 10:40 AM

Scot, I don't understand how they can DNA test the bag or the contents inside the bag. Do they think there is some bodily fluid in the bag? Isn't that what they need to DNA test something

Stryder
10-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Scot, I don't understand who they can DNA test the bag or the contents inside the bag. Do they think there is some bodily fluid in the bag? Isn't that what they need to DNA test something

Is it a joint? If it is, then saliva, which contains epithelial cells from the mouth.

Trader Joe
10-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Ok, ok what alien took over Kravitz's body?

Skaut_Ech
10-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Scot, I don't understand who they can DNA test the bag or the contents inside the bag. Do they think there is some bodily fluid in the bag? Isn't that what they need to DNA test something

You can get DNA from almost anything, a strand of hair, salivia, sweat, dandruff (dead skins cells), ear wax,....just about anything. If you licked your fingers, then sealed the bag, or has sweat on your hands, you could have potentially left evidence behind. It's concievable that if you had a cut on your hand and it rubber the bag, it would leave minute skins cells and blodd cells behind. It's pretty damn amazing.

Since86
10-11-2006, 11:40 AM

Your awfully green, huh UB?

From what I'm told,:cool: , often times people lick the back to reseal it before rolling the bag up. They normally dont use ziplock.

Unclebuck
10-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Your awfully green, huh UB?

From what I'm told,:cool: , often times people lick the back to reseal it before rolling the bag up. They normally dont use ziplock.

When comes to drugs of this sort I'm very green, I just know very little about it.

McKeyFan
10-11-2006, 01:41 PM
When comes to drugs of this sort I'm very green, I just know very little about it.

I prefer "better things to do with your time" than "green."

DisplacedKnick
10-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Maybe nobody else here will see the humor in this - but the ONE TIME Kravitz prints something that's not inflammatory - "that's enough, let's let it go" piece - he completely muffs it.

Trader Joe
10-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Maybe nobody else here will see the humor in this - but the ONE TIME Kravitz prints something that's not inflammatory - "that's enough, let's let it go" piece - he completely muffs it.
What doesn't he muff?