PDA

View Full Version : A matter of restitution

indygeezer
10-11-2006, 06:14 AM
Per a comment in the Star this AM Jax probation can be terminated when he makes restitution in the civil suit. He has completed ALL of the other terms of his propation (Including the Community Service). The article can be found miway down the page (D6) on the right, in a column re: the Pacers Training Camp. I REPEAT, all other aspects of his probation have been completed.

And........I agree with Kravitz on this.....his apology was sincere.

So far, so good. I will drop this issue (with prejudice).

It is time to move on.

BUT..............I wanted him gone before this incident and I still do.
WAIT A SECOND...........Legal minds step forward please...
I re-read the last bit in the article below: Why would restitution in a CIVIL matter have anything to do with disposition of a CRIMINAL matter?? Almost sounds like extortion or blackmail..."Pay up, or else".

___________EDITED FOR CRED____________________

October 11, 2006

Pacers training camp
Miller's comments don't register

Related articles
• Contrite Jackson returns
• What's next? My idea: Let's just move on
• Bag in Pacer's vehicle will be tested for DNA
More Pacers coverage

The Indiana Pacers don't plan to get into a verbal sparring match with Reggie Miller.

The team took the high road Tuesday in response to the former Pacers star's criticism of the players and coaches for Friday's incident at a Westside strip club.
Miller, who spent his entire 18-year career with the Pacers, said on Dan Patrick's ESPN radio show Monday that the incident put a "black cloud" over the organization and questioned why teammates are defending Stephen Jackson.
"I don't comment on Reggie's comments," team president Larry Bird said.
Miller also criticized coach Rick Carlisle's practices as being too soft. If they were tougher, players wouldn't be out at 3 a.m., Miller said. League rules allow for only three hours of on-court practice each day.
"I have unbelievable respect for Reggie Miller, both as a player and as a person," Carlisle said. "I consider him a friend. He's obviously earned the right to have an opinion, but what I can tell you is from a basketball standpoint, we're doing everything possible to develop this team to be the best that it can be. I'll just leave it at that."

Probation may be terminated
Jackson's lawyer said the player's probation will be terminated if restitution is resolved in a civil suit brought against him from the brawl in 2004. Jackson's probation has been extended to Sept. 23, 2007.
Attorney Jim Voyles said William Pawlson, represented by Geoffrey Fieger, has a pending civil suit against Jackson.
"Mr. Jackson's probation would have terminated on Sept. 23, 2006, if not for an issue of restitution," Voyles said. "He has completed community service, he has completed anger management, all fines and costs have been paid. The only issue to be resolved is whether or not any restitution is owed at all."

Will Galen
10-11-2006, 08:07 AM
The article didn't really make sense to me. Something probably got edited out.

travmil
10-11-2006, 08:19 AM
If everything the judge in the criminal case levied against Jax has been settled, then how can this be an issue. I would assume that a different judge would be handling the civil portions of this case. How do the two courts mix? Your right 'geez, this smells fishy.

BillS
10-11-2006, 10:09 AM
I suspect probation was also made contingent on any restitution, which was deferred to the civil case instead of being set twice.

ABADays
10-11-2006, 01:19 PM
He completed the anger mangement course!?!?! Some course.