PDA

View Full Version : Jon Bender = Dirk Nowitski?

flakcatcher
04-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Long time lurker first time poster.

When I was watching Game 2 at a bar here in Muncie, the guy next to me was just going off on how baaaad Bender was, and how he essentially was an African-American version of Nowitski. I didn't think much of it at the time, but as I watch the Mavs-Kings game tonight, I'm seeing more and more of Bender in Nowitski---long arms, great outside shot, and an uncanny ability to get to the basket from just beyond the perimeter. To think that Bender could one day be as good, or even better, than Nowitski, is, well, just a very happy thought. Thoughts?

Hicks
04-26-2004, 11:30 PM
I see the comparison in that their 7' ers that can stroke it from 3. Bender might be able to shoot like that at some point.

But I like Bender better in other areas such as shot blocking, attacking the basket, and basically just athleticism altogether. Bender is a freak athlete, and Dirk is not.

Hicks
04-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Oh, and :welcome:

flakcatcher
04-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome----oh and by the way Hicks, when I say long-time lurker, I mean loooong-time. I watched as you led the exodus from the Indystar boards to here. For awhile I was skeptical, but you've done a fine job. I barely read the Indystar boards anymore. Props, man.

Snickers
04-27-2004, 12:36 AM
Welcome aboard! Glad to see you've decided to start posting. Keep it up!

And may I be so bold as to present you with the offical PD Welcome Banana!

:dance:

As for your point, I've made the same comparison myself. Jon's a little bit less of an outside shooter than Dirk, but he's got him in the Flubber department.

Unclebuck
04-27-2004, 09:12 AM
The Bender - Dirk comparisons have been mentioned as far back as 3 years ago. That mention was usually followed with hoots and howls.

Not so much anymore

indygeezer
04-27-2004, 09:35 AM
The Bender - Dirk comparisons have been mentioned as far back as 3 years ago. That mention was usually followed with hoots and howls.

Not so much anymore

Kinda like the response I get when I say he'll soon have Garnett-like impact???

He has the ability to be a much better ball handler and defender than Dirk. But comparing him to DN is both fair and legit. But he needs to do it throughtout an entire playoff run as Dirk has.

Grant
04-27-2004, 10:03 AM
I always thought of Nowitzki as a Larry Bird type (though not as good). Great 3 point shooters and good rebounders who weren't really interested in playing defense.

I'm hopeful that Bender can be more of a Garnett type. Both high-schoolers that have a similar body type and skillset. Bender has only shown flashes of what Garnett is consistently. But one can hope and be optimistic.

Bender's only problem is between his ears: 1) Confidence 2) Knowing the offense 3) I think he could use a nasty streak (it would help with rebounding - think Foster). I think his confidence is higher now than it has been for his whole career, and clearly he is more comfortable in the offense.

Snickers
04-27-2004, 11:00 AM
I always thought of Nowitzki as a Larry Bird type (though not as good). Great 3 point shooters and good rebounders who weren't really interested in playing defense.

I'm hopeful that Bender can be more of a Garnett type. Both high-schoolers that have a similar body type and skillset. Bender has only shown flashes of what Garnett is consistently. But one can hope and be optimistic.

Bender's only problem is between his ears: 1) Confidence 2) Knowing the offense 3) I think he could use a nasty streak (it would help with rebounding - think Foster). I think his confidence is higher now than it has been for his whole career, and clearly he is more comfortable in the offense.

Good points. Bender will have to develop a post game before I'll allow myself to daydream about Garnett comparisons. And you're right, he really could use a mean streak.

Grant
04-27-2004, 12:17 PM

Good points. Bender will have to develop a post game before I'll allow myself to daydream about Garnett comparisons. And you're right, he really could use a mean streak.

Yeah it would be great to see him develop a post game. A guy that tall (with hops), with a shot that sweet should dominate in the post, especially from the SF position. He might still struggle getting position against stronger PF's but if he could even add the turn-around jumper that Harrington has it would add to his game a lot. Players talk about adding an aspect to their game every off-season, maybe that is what Bender will add this off-season.

Chambizzle
04-27-2004, 03:06 PM
I've always liked Bender... It's good to finally see more shades of his potential. Maybe he'll suddenly find some old shoes and become "like Garnett"

Some of his jumpshots are ungodly! Sometimes I think he's going to shoot it over the backboard he leaps so high...

lol. Anyways, continue on with the analysis.

ROCislandWarrior
04-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Bender = Dirk ?

BWAHAHAHAH

that is the funniest crap I have heard in weeks. Bender is a good bench player with crap defensive skills. Yeah sign him up for the HOF.

You guys are jokes.

:rolleyes:

Where are all these Piston Homers coming from?
They can't even make a logical argument

whodean
04-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Comparing a tissue-paper soft young kid who hasn't shown anything in the league to Dirk is pretty funny.

MagicRat
04-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Bender = Dirk ?

that is the funniest crap I have heard in weeks. Bender is a good bench player with crap defensive skills. Yeah sign him up for the HOF.

Dirk=Defensive Stopper?
Dirk=HOF'er?

Who knew? :whoknows:

whodean
04-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Bender = Dirk ?

Dirk=Defensive Stopper?
Dirk=HOF'er?

Dirk=All-Star? Guess you didn't know.

Natston
04-27-2004, 03:43 PM
Bender = Dirk ?

Dirk=Defensive Stopper?
Dirk=HOF'er?

You learn something new every day... :neutral:

TheSauceMaster
04-27-2004, 03:48 PM
It kind cracks me up Bender has a few games and people are already comparing him to all stars , if he did it the whole season on a consistant basis I might agree.

Natston
04-27-2004, 03:50 PM
It kind cracks me up Bender has a few games and people are already comparing him to all stars , if he did it the whole season on a consistant basis I might agree.

One day Dirk will be compared to Jon... :P

SkipperZ
04-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Bender has more skill in his left pinky finger than anyone on Detroit's roster except maybe their rent-a-star Rasheed.

Shade
04-27-2004, 11:44 PM
http://www.paperrad.org/trolls.jpg

Okay, we need to get Rat to Photoshop that with Pistons jerseys. :laugh:

Shade
04-27-2004, 11:47 PM
I'm also a long time lurker. I appreciate the insights that a lot of folks on this board have. As someone who comes to this board as opposed to the other one because of a higher level of basketball discussion, I am rather annoyed at having to read all of the recent Detroit trolls messages.

Regarding Bender, I think that we will eventually see a starting line-up that pairs Artest and Bender, because they have such complimentary skill sets. I am truly looking forward to the day when we are starting Artest, Bender, and ONeal together.

:welcome:

Funny how the Pistons trolls bring out all the "long time lurkers." :)

Anyway, I see JO and JB as our frontcourt of the future. I've been high on Bender since the McDonald's All-Star game, BEFORE he was a Pacer. I was ecstatic when I heard we drafted him.

Shade
04-27-2004, 11:49 PM

The one on the left looks a lot like Ben Wallace. :laugh:

MagicRat
04-28-2004, 01:52 AM

Can't all the trolls just get along?.................
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/trolls2.jpg

Southside_Pacer
04-28-2004, 03:04 AM

:hug: :love: :hug: :love: :hug: :love:

Eindar
04-28-2004, 05:20 PM
For the record, Bender had a higher FG and 3PT % than Nowitzki this year.

TheSauceMaster
04-28-2004, 05:28 PM

Doesn't impress me since he played less games than Dirk , now if they played equal games I might be amazed :laugh:

Eindar
04-28-2004, 05:45 PM

Doesn't impress me since he played less games than Dirk , now if they played equal games I might be amazed :laugh:

Um, shouldn't you be more impressed because Bender played less games? Bender didn't play less games because he is a scrub, he played less games because he was rehabbing from injury, which with all players, means they are rusty when they return from injury, which Bender did 3 times this season. So, your tongue-in-cheek doubting of Bender is unfounded :cool:

ChicagoJ
04-28-2004, 06:54 PM

:hug: :love: :hug: :love: :hug: :love:

this reminds me a little too much of that ESPN Michigan/Ohio State commerical.

:happydance:

duaneok66
04-29-2004, 03:51 AM

does it matter????

comapring Bender to Dirk is foolish . . . Bender can't even stay healthy while Dirk has been an all star multiple times . . .

next conversation . . .

Kstat
04-29-2004, 04:47 AM

Um, shouldn't you be more impressed because Bender played less games? Bender didn't play less games because he is a scrub, he played less games because he was rehabbing from injury, which with all players, means they are rusty when they return from injury, which Bender did 3 times this season. So, your tongue-in-cheek doubting of Bender is unfounded :cool:

I believe Dennis Rodman led the NBA in FG% one year. Doesn't make him a dominant scorer......

The more game you play, the more shots you take, the HARDER it is to keep shooting percentage up. Taysaun Prince, started the season shooting about %75 from 3-point range. But as people adjusted to his game, it made it harder for Tay to get the same looks he got before.

I'll be more impressed if Bender can last a full 82 games next season that I will be with anything he does on the court.

hoopsforlife
04-29-2004, 07:37 AM
I am truly looking forward to the day when we are starting Artest, Bender, and ONeal together.[/quote]

I'm not sure the NBA would allow this to happen. Wouldn't be fair to the other teams. :) :laugh: :laugh: :dance: :dance: :pepper: ;)