PDA

View Full Version : Will Reggie’s Harsh Words Have Impact? {Pacers.com 10.10.06}

Frank Slade
10-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Will Reggie’s Harsh Words Have Impact?

Tuesday, Oct. 10, 2006

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. Last year, Reggie Miller had attention drawn to him with his (later to be proven correct) comments concerning the franchise's lack of cohesiveness. Now, he's called out Stephen Jackson and the Pacers team for standing behind him.

As an insider to how everything in Indy operates and someone who is still respected by the fans and members within the organization, does his statement perhaps signify the feelings of some of the players/management who have not voiced an opinion, and how much pressure, from the public or otherwise, will this put on management to act? (From Matt in Fayetteville, Ark.)

A. It's interesting how a guy's perspective can change when he no longer is part of a franchise. When Reggie was a leadership figure with the Pacers, he was the last player to even hint at public criticism of a teammate, including Ron Artest.

He was very much a team guy, a franchise guy, and whenever the world aimed its arrows toward the Pacers, he was the guy circling the wagons. He was, above all others, the guy that fostered the Pacers-against-the-world mentality. Lest we forget, he loved being the enemy.

When issues arose within the locker room, that's where he kept them; he was a strong believer in handling team matters internally and not airing dirty laundry. I'm fairly certain if he was still playing he would be saying many of the same things other Pacers players have said in the aftermath of last week's incident, primarily expressing concern for Jackson's well-being. And he'd be absolutely right.

Now that he is viewing things from a distance, he has reacted in basically the same way as many fans. He's frustrated and angry, emotions that were clear in his words. On Dan Patrick's ESPN radio show Monday, Reggie described the incident as "a black cloud" and "a punch in the gut for Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird."

He then criticized the players for offering their support and concern for Jackson and even suggested Rick Carlisle's practices weren't hard enough if players had the energy for late-night club visits. (Not that it's particularly relevant to the bigger points, but an agreement with the player's union limits the amount of time a team can allot for practice during training camp, and the 3-hour sessions at Conseco Fieldhouse have been far more strenuous than usual because of the emphasis on playing a quicker tempo at both ends of the court.)

These are all very natural reactions and responses to the situation, shared by fans around the country. No one is happy about what happened, inside or outside the franchise. At the very least, the players involved showed a serious lapse in judgment, and that much has been said.

But Walsh and Bird must make completely sure they learn as many of the facts about the incident as possibly before going public with the franchise's position. They cannot afford to offer an emotional response; theirs must be fully measured. Harsh words like those from Reggie, therefore, may amplify the public outcry but ultimately have little or no effect on what action the franchise will take.

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_061010.html)

Harddrive7
10-10-2006, 01:46 PM
I think that he needs to stick to making lunch reservations for him and Dan Patrick and keep his opinions to himself.

Loved you being on our team and everything you did for this franchise...

Now shut up

PacerMan
10-10-2006, 02:00 PM
He said what most fans are thinking.
Way to go Reg.

ABADays
10-10-2006, 02:03 PM
I have no problem with Reggie saying anything. If it stings the players involved - good. If they don't give a ****** - fine.

RWB
10-10-2006, 02:14 PM
This just in.....an email from Reggie to Donnie Walsh explains it all.

Donnie,

I owed you one for that last big payday. Thanks for taking care of me and hopefully my personal support makes us even. See you around....your buddy Reginald.

imawhat
10-10-2006, 02:21 PM
I don't know if I agree with Conrad.

I bet Reggie's perspective hasn't changed at all. I think he'd feel the same way if he was still with the organization. Different actions of course, but same feelings.

Why would he feel differently? I'm sure SJ and the other three guys know it was a punch in the gut.

J_2_Da_IzzO
10-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Are Reggies opinions really needed? He is a legend and loved him on this team but Im sure he will know that you have to stick by a guy on your team whether you want to or not.

Im pretty sure the Pacers players have talked to Jackson about it but just because they havent come out and said it was a stupid act by SJ it seems like Reggie believes nothings been said.

Did Reggie say anything publicly when Artest, Jackson and JO laid out fans?

Unclebuck
10-10-2006, 02:31 PM
I agree with Conrad 100%

McKeyFan
10-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Is it really hypocrisy or can someone come up with a way to differentiate between Reggie's non criticism (or was it?) of Artest and his call for current players to criticize, or make a stand against, Jax's behavior?

Putnam
10-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I don't know if I agree with Conrad.

I bet Reggie's perspective hasn't changed at all. I think he'd feel the same way if he was still with the organization. Different actions of course, but same feelings.

Why would he feel differently? I'm sure SJ and the other three guys know it was a punch in the gut.

Reggie's opinion, his true feeling, probably hasn't changed at all. But his perspective, his point of view, has certainly changed. That is indisputable. (If I were his editor, I'd have stricken the following sentence as tautological: "It's interesting how a guy's perspective can change when he no longer is part of a franchise.")

What Conrad is saying is that when he was a player, Reggie subsumed his personal opinion for the good of the team. Now that he is a commentator, he speaks his mind. That is what is meant by the change in perspective.

imawhat, you are probably right that Reggie's opinion hasn't changed.

To my thinking, it is all to Reggie's credit. Imagine how monumentally ####ed he must have been on 11/19/04 to see two knuckleheads ruining his last hope for a championship, but he wen't out there under the shower of popcorn and bottles and helped get his teammates off the floor.

imawhat
10-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Reggie's opinion, his true feeling, probably hasn't changed at all. But his perspective, his point of view, has certainly changed. That is indisputable.

What Conrad is saying is that when he was a player, Reggie subsumed his personal opinion for the good of the team. Now that he is a commentator, he speaks his mind. That is what is meant by the change in perspective.

imawhat, you are probably right that Reggie's opinion hasn't changed.

I agree with you, if he meant point of view. He probably did, but that's not how I took it.

ChicagoJ
10-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Are Reggies opinions really needed? He is a legend and loved him on this team but Im sure he will know that you have to stick by a guy on your team whether you want to or not.

Im pretty sure the Pacers players have talked to Jackson about it but just because they havent come out and said it was a stupid act by SJ it seems like Reggie believes nothings been said.

Did Reggie say anything publicly when Artest, Jackson and JO laid out fans?

There was the famous Rick-Reggie-Austin press conference, but I think that they all talked about "moving forward". I'm still trying to dig it up.

I don't think he ever said anything directly about the Pacers' participation in the brawl that either condoned or condemned the actions of his teammates.

10-11-2006, 03:02 PM
I agree with Conrad 100%!