PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal could miss Pacers' opener

RoboHicks
10-10-2006, 02:50 AM
Indiana forward Jermaine O'Neal expects to miss the Pacers' preseason opener against New Jersey on Wednesday because of a lawsuit stemming from the brawl with Detroit Pistons fans two years ago.Comment (http://www.topix.net/forum/link/thread?forum=nba/indiana-pacers&artsig=b2ca4f4c94)

More... (http://topix.net/r/0sgB2ypc4UiiNybykHsA8fRk1q0zMTvEdnG0872XzIRFbEUcxJ hlep1vnWW=2FsoV3Syktkn=2F6CTUPngbM0xHj25UT0EnmiE6o hyjtrrW2LbWJ=2BtJD9VvpCsi0BsBUejd3X)

Bball
10-10-2006, 03:54 AM
INDIANAPOLIS - Indiana forward Jermaine O'Neal expects to miss the Pacers' preseason opener against New Jersey on Wednesday because of a lawsuit stemming from the brawl with Detroit Pistons fans two years ago.

O'Neal could testify today or Wednesday, leaving him doubtful for the game. Jury selection is scheduled to start this morning in U.S. District Court in Detroit.

O'Neal punched the plaintiff, Charles Haddad, on the court during the Nov. 19, 2004, incident in Auburn Hills, Mich. Haddad wants the Pacers' claims that Haddad trespassed, was intoxicated and violated the waiver on the back of his ticket to be stricken as defenses.

Bball
10-10-2006, 03:59 AM
Bball thinks JO should've paid Haddad and got this thing behind him as much as possible.

Also, assuming the defense dragged this thing out... why now? Why not have done this in the summer?

It's not that he's missing a preseason game per se'... It's just that it's dragging the spectre of 11/19 into another season. And if he's missing games, then it's in full view of the fans (and media). Just having it brewing behind the scenes would be bad enough.

It's time to put the BS behind and just play some basketball.

-Bball

Eindar
10-10-2006, 05:27 AM
I'm glad JO is fighting this, and I hope Haddad gets summary judgement against him for this frivolous lawsuit. The guy was actively participating in a riot against a group of players who defended themselves.

I'd love to see JO countersue for (his) lawyer fees and throw in the tab for missed work (what does JO make per game, anyways?) :D

able
10-10-2006, 06:02 AM
I'm glad JO is fighting this, and I hope Haddad gets summary judgement against him for this frivolous lawsuit. The guy was actively participating in a riot against a group of players who defended themselves.

I'd love to see JO countersue for (his) lawyer fees and throw in the tab for missed work (what does JO make per game, anyways?) :D

roughly $ 200,000.00

Karmakillaz
10-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Hopefully JO is counter suing for another chance to knock him the ****** out!

Slick Pinkham
10-10-2006, 07:53 AM
deceptive title-- PRESEASON opener

The title gives the impression he is out for the season opener

Isaac
10-10-2006, 10:34 AM
God was I glad to read that this was the reason. I was really afraid to read this.

Jermaine O'Neal will miss the first preseason game due to a back issue he had starting in practice yesterday.