PDA

View Full Version : Dale Davis for JO

Romsey31
10-09-2006, 05:56 PM
I know this must have been posted a million times...but I'd like to know you personally felt when you heard of this trade. Did you think it would work out? Did you think it was an awesome trade? Did you think Walsh had lost his mind?

Naptown_Seth
10-09-2006, 06:05 PM
I was bothered because I was a big Dale fan. JO was clearly an unknown. However I was more worried about going without Jax and Smits.

I stopped given Isiah a break for "keeping them in the playoffs" when I saw JO play and realized that the post scoring of Smits had been replaced and it hadn't cost them much in rebounds or shot blocks.

I still hated that Dale had to go (and pushed for the money that got him traded). I was never mad with JO though, just like I was never anti-McKey despite Detlef being my favorite NBA player before he even got to the Pacers.

If they'd only paid Jax a little more money...

RamBo_Lamar
10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
At first I was saddened. The first time I saw DD play, I couldn't help but
think "OMG - this guy is exactly what we've been needing all along". He
quickly became one of my all-time favorites.

I hated to see him go, much like seeing AD go earlier. Didn't know much
about JO except that he was drafted out of high school, was very young,
and got very few playing minutes behind some of the veterans at Portland.

Although I had seen JO once before on TV in one of those McDonalds high
school all-star games, had no idea how much his game had progressed, or
what he was about.

It didn't take very long though for JO to make a believer out of me, and
realize this was a stroke of genius on Donnie Walshes part.

;)

Romsey31
10-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Jax with JO...I shiver at that thought.

DisplacedKnick
10-09-2006, 06:15 PM
I didn't agree with it. Not from a talent standpoint but at the time I believed that if the Pacers had kept that team anywhere close to intact they would have been in the finals again. You were 2 games from winning a championship - one Shaq injury away. I thought you'd be at least that close again.

I still believe that except for one thing - you hired a doofus as a coach.

imawhat
10-09-2006, 06:18 PM
It's pretty much the only trade I've 'approved' of in those circumstances. Dale was my favorite player. And even though he had played at a very high level that year, I just had a hunch that Jermaine's offensive game would be needed more than Dale's toughness and defense.

I couldn't wait to see Jermaine's game. I really liked the very little I saw of it when the Pacers played the Blazers the previous year. I had blind, uneducated faith in him. Just a small amount of playing time and a hunch.

Pacesetter
10-09-2006, 07:24 PM
I know this must have been posted a million times...but I'd like to know you personally felt when you heard of this trade. Did you think it would work out? Did you think it was an awesome trade? Did you think Walsh had lost his mind?

From the very onset I knew JO was a gem. I followed him since he was a prep phenom, and I knew Portland had a history of underutilizing talented players.

It was a steal.

+ DD tried to hijack the Pacers with a lucrative deal, and DW recognized what DD was doing well beforehand.

diamonddave00
10-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I liked the trade from moment I heard it , was helping my son run his paper route at the time.

Dale was my favorite Pacers but he'd seemed to top out at 9-10 ppg and 9-10 rpg and was 30 . He'd been gripping about his contract. Smits was rumoured to be ready to retire, Antonio had left and Mark Jackson was expected to, and Mullin and Perkins were on their last legs.It was obvious the team was rebuilding.

Jermine O'Neal was only 22 , an as a free agent the summer before along with Lorenzen Wright was Donnie Walsh's target to sign, he resigned with the Blazers though.

I was excited about his potential .

8.9_seconds
10-09-2006, 10:31 PM
It took me awhile to warm up to JO. I Loved Dale. I still love Dale. It was hard to see him go the first time and the second time too, I guess. I would Still Love to have him here. It was one of the greatest things in the world when I was younger seeing DD get PISSED, it made my day. I really Love JO now though, I respect him also.