PDA

View Full Version : Official Stephen Jackson Conspiracy Thread

Smooth_for_Pres.
10-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Jack is laying low. Understandable....
Donnie and Larry are still not talking. Frustrating but, ok...
The line right now is ' We are just happy Stephen is ok.' Shows support, love, understanding but, also...?
Put 'em all together and it COULD be that a move is being constructed.

Thoughts?

Trader Joe
10-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Doubt it.

Putnam
10-09-2006, 12:04 PM
I doubt it, too. I've never believed that Jackson was untradable, and I believe the reason he wasn't traded during the summer was that Bird and Wlash didn't want to trade him.

They won't trade him now. It's his world.

Bball
10-09-2006, 12:13 PM
There's no such thing as an untradable player. There is short-sighted management tho.

-Bball

RamBo_Lamar
10-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Since anything is possible, it could be the case, however, history tells
us this will probably not be.

I know the Jax haters out there would like that, and it would open up
minutes for guys like White to get out there and develop.

But it seems the TPTB, the players, and many fans are rallying around Jax.

TPTB are keeping quiet as they usually do, so nothing different there.

I know if I were Jax, I'd be laying low too, not because I was scared or
about to be traded, but because I would still be sore as hell after getting
rolled over the top of a car.

You may be looking a little too closely into these "signs", but other than
TPTD, who really knows?

ABADays
10-09-2006, 12:22 PM
No. I'm sure Jackson might be a little more scratched up than thought. There is no doubt it was a PR move as well.

Stryder
10-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Possible? Yes.

Probable? No.

Smooth_for_Pres.
10-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Regardless of the fact that I began this thread, I would tend to agree that it's not true. There has indeed been a lot of support for Jack from all sorts of places. Over all, it seems that the TPTB want people to see this as an unfortunate situation that the Pacers were on the recieving end of.
As they say, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
But what about Larry bird? What about his stand against nonsense and bad judgements at last seasons end? After telling the fans that he was getting more involved in discipline and then giving Carlisle more power in disciplinary matters, how great is his need to NOT have egg on his face?

Also, how much does this situation, to TPTB, smack of the second burn by RonRon?

Putnam
10-09-2006, 12:43 PM
But what about Larry bird? What about his stand against nonsense and bad judgements at last seasons end? After telling the fans that he was getting more involved in discipline and then giving Carlisle more power in disciplinary matters, how great is his need to NOT have egg on his face?

Also, how much does this situation, to TPTB, smack of the second burn by RonRon?

There's a paradigm shift underway right now in Pacer Nation. The smartest thing TPTB can do is to stay quiet as long as they can, and then when they start talking again, to say, "....as I was saying," and try to make it sound as if they have been in control all along.

grace
10-09-2006, 12:44 PM
I think he's always been on the trading block, but no one is offering a trade that the Pacers think is worth it.

And for everyone who says the Pacers should just get rid of Jax and it doesn't matter if they get nothing in return aren't you the same people who complain that in essence the Pacers didn't get anything in return for Artest?

DisplacedKnick
10-09-2006, 12:51 PM
I think he's always been on the trading block, but no one is offering a trade that the Pacers think is worth it.

And for everyone who says the Pacers should just get rid of Jax and it doesn't matter if they get nothing in return aren't you the same people who complain that in essence the Pacers didn't get anything in return for Artest?

I dunno about that - I thought the Pacers would be better served for giving Artest away for a bag of chips and I think the same's probably true for Jackson.

Different reasons though - I thought Artest was tearing apart the team and was a ticking bomb that would go off again at some point - still do.

I don't see Jackson as the divisive element within the team that others do. In this case management has to do it for two reasons - first to retain any credibility that they mean what they've been saying all summer and second, to not lose a bunch of fans. Those two are related.

Personally, what I'd do if I was management is put some trade feelers out there but hang on for a bit unless a good offer comes along. In a couple of weeks, once this has died down, hire someone to do a survey of likely Pacer fans to try to find out what the impact of keeping vs trading Jackson may do to ticket sales. If they find little or no impact, keep him unless a good deal comes along. If they find that they'll take a big hit from the fan base (which I expect is what they'd find), ditch him, for scraps if need be.

Simple business decision on this one IMO.

Naptown_Seth
10-09-2006, 12:53 PM
No. I'm sure Jackson might be a little more scratched up than thought. There is no doubt it was a PR move as well.
Only a PR move since he did work out and Edwards was at the Fan Jam doing nothing himself. If he was injured by a drunk driver as he walked home from church you would have seen him at FanJam (in his current condition I mean, not more injured).

But its a smart, understandable decision to at least hold him back from public reception for more than a few days after the incident. They probably want to get in at least one game in front of the home crowd before bringing him back. I would think that his first pre-season game would have to come on the road so fans can get the image of him on-court back in their heads. That should tone down some of the negative reception he gets in that first Conseco game.

And if he puts up some productive efforts you will see a lot of fans move past it.

do a survey of likely Pacer fans to try to find out what the impact of keeping vs trading Jackson may do to ticket sales.Worthless numbers. A lot of people will SAY they will buy tickets if Jack was gone, but that doesn't put money in the bank after you trade him and they decide that the reason they haven't been going is that it's just too expensive. There is only one survey they need - actual sales. He'll be playing and they will see the ticket sales. If they go up, if they track along with the win total, then you don't have an issue.

Smooth_for_Pres.
10-09-2006, 12:56 PM
But its a smart, understandable decision to at least hold him back from public reception for more than a few days after the incident. They probably want to get in at least one game in front of the home crowd before bringing him back.

Good point...

DisplacedKnick
10-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Worthless numbers. A lot of people will SAY they will buy tickets if Jack was gone, but that doesn't put money in the bank after you trade him and they decide that the reason they haven't been going is that it's just too expensive. There is only one survey they need - actual sales. He'll be playing and they will see the ticket sales. If they go up, if they track along with the win total, then you don't have an issue.

Worthless comment.

Marketing surveys are conducted so extensively for one reason - they are an accurate predictor of consumer buying patterns. This one would be too if the Pacers hired a Marketing Research firm to conduct it.

Of course they may already have done that. The whole, "It's up to us" image-changing marketing campaign may be because some professionals already told them they need to change the team's image to retain fan support. If that's the case then Jackson may have already written his own ticket out of here.

Pacesetter
10-09-2006, 01:33 PM
The idea is plausible, but who's to say?

Bird and Walsh are feeling the heat on this, as they should. In the end though, these players got a wake up call, and it's highly unlikely they'll feel complacent enough to do something like this again.

Best thing imo, is for the franchise to count its losses, and move forward with Jackson. I'm pretty disgusted the whole thing happened because I like Jackson, but it happened, so there's no need for the TPTB to do anything rash just to move him along. They should just tell him that he's got one more chance, and if he blows it, they'll sideline him like they did with Artest until a trade is made.

I think this was the kick he needed (I hope)!

vapacersfan
10-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Worthless numbers. A lot of people will SAY they will buy tickets if Jack was gone, but that doesn't put money in the bank after you trade him and they decide that the reason they haven't been going is that it's just too expensive. There is only one survey they need - actual sales. He'll be playing and they will see the ticket sales. If they go up, if they track along with the win total, then you don't have an issue.

DK already beat me to it, but if what you say is true there would be no point in having a "marketing" department and there would be no purpose for having "marketing firms" that perform "marketing surveys".

Anthem
10-09-2006, 03:18 PM
I dunno about that - I thought the Pacers would be better served for giving Artest away for a bag of chips
I'd rather have Harrington, thanks.

Brinocerous
10-09-2006, 03:44 PM
All I'm gonna say is that all summer long, everybody has been saying we need a shooter.
Now we got one, and everybody wants to get rid of him.
Freakin fickle fans.

DisplacedKnick
10-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Well, I must say I'm extremely grateful to the Pacers for this offer in my e-mail:

Curt,

The Pacers hope to have an exciting and up-tempo team this year and you have the opportunity to be one of the first to see our new look.

Because of your continued support through the years, we want to offer you up to four complimentary tickets for the Pacers' home game vs. the Utah Jazz Saturday, Oct. 14. Don't miss this early chance to see the new-look Pacers' roster and welcome back Al Harrington.

(How to order info deleted)

Curt, tickets are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis, so make sure you obtain your complimentary preseason tickets today!

I've made it onto the "continued support through the years" list. That's scary.

Why do I sense that sales for this game might be a little slow?