PDA

View Full Version : Montieth Article Reads to me like preparation for moving Jackson

McKeyFan
10-07-2006, 09:57 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061007/SPORTS04/610070463/1088

If you view Montieth as bascially a spokesman for Donnie Walsh, then I say Walsh is preparing the soil for a move. These passages jumped out at me:

"An overwhelming majority of the fans who wrote e-mails to The Indianapolis Star and posted online messages Friday were harshly critical of Jackson's recent behavior and the Pacers for continuing to support him.
The responses ranged from outrage that Jackson remains on the team to refusals to attend future games."

" . . . On Monday, Jackson promised to bring a new attitude into this season and was drawing praise from team officials before Friday's incident.
"Jack's done everything he could possibly do to do the right things and be a good teammate," team president Larry Bird said Thursday. "I don't worry about Jack as much as some other people, but I can understand their concerns. It wasn't good what he did last year, and he understands that. You'll see a big change in him."

Bird did not speak with the media Friday.

" . . . Those teammates who spoke after practice Friday expressed concern for Jackson's well-being and withheld judgment on the fact Jackson and three teammates were at a strip club in the middle of the night during training camp."

If Walsh wanted to clean all this up, he wouldn't have MM write this stuff, imo.

ajbry
10-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Let's be honest, you're reaching here. Anything that would even remotely indicate Jack being dealt, you want to believe.

He should be in no danger of being dealt, but if fans like you were whining about it to the Pacers' brass, thanks a lot.

Unclebuck
10-07-2006, 10:08 PM
They might move Jackson, but nothing in those passages leads me to think they will or that they won't

BlueNGold
10-07-2006, 10:10 PM
They might move Jackson, but nothing in those passges leads me to think they will or that they won't

I agree. They are more likely to pose on SI with him than trade him. Maybe Jack will demand a trade.

ABADays
10-07-2006, 10:12 PM
To move him you would have to have a taker. I can't imagine anyone taking on a PR nightmare this close to the event. He couldn't be moved during the offseason.

BlueNGold
10-07-2006, 10:13 PM
To move him you would have to have a taker. I can't imagine anyone taking on a PR nightmare this close to the event. He couldn't be moved during the offseason.

Why not Sacramento? It would be a love fest with Ron Ron.

Los Angeles
10-07-2006, 10:18 PM
No, those passages don't mean anything.

But while we're talking about trades (and there's a forum for this) what kind of trade IS feasable? Bad contract? Another team's Jonathan Bender? Anything?

BoomBaby33
10-07-2006, 10:42 PM

No taker needed ... just cut him! Or suspend him for the season with pay! It worked for Philly with the TO situation. That would go right to his heart (but unfortunately also right to his billfold (because of stupid guarateed contracts). But, in the long run - we would be ridded of the CANCER!!! This bold move would sure catch all the other players eyes not to screw up.

Do it Donnie! Do it now!

SoupIsGood
10-07-2006, 10:45 PM
I agree. They are more likely to pose on SI with him than trade him.

sadly

Destined4Greatness
10-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Wow, you are really stretching here.

shags
10-07-2006, 11:15 PM
No, those passages don't mean anything.

But while we're talking about trades (and there's a forum for this) what kind of trade IS feasable? Bad contract? Another team's Jonathan Bender? Anything?

Stephen Jackson and Rawle Marshall to Denver for Eduardo Najera, Julius Hodge, and Dallas' 2007 first rounder. :shrug:

!Pacers-Fan!
10-07-2006, 11:21 PM
They wont trade Jack.

Destined4Greatness
10-07-2006, 11:29 PM
No taker needed ... just cut him! Or suspend him for the season with pay!</I> It worked for Philly with the TO situation.<I> That would go right to his heart (but unfortunately also right to his billfold (because of stupid guarateed contracts). But, in the long run - we would be ridded of the CANCER!!! This bold move would sure catch all the other players eyes not to screw up.

Do it Donnie! Do it now!

Perhaps we have different definitions for the word Worked, but that made zero sense to me. What were they 6-10 for the season.

BoomBaby33
10-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Perhaps we have different definitions for the word Worked, but that made zero sense to me. What were they 6-10 for the season.

Yes, last year they finished 6-10. Of course, there will be the initial down side of the situation. However, Andy Reid got back control of their team without TO didnt he. They are now 3-1 and have no chemistry issues or player related problems that headline the team, and look to be in the upper class of the NFC yet again! Other players have stepped up!

Hopefully, if the Pacers would do this, they could rebound by mid season and save face. Im telling you, if something drastic isnt done soon for RC to get back control of his players actions, the Pacers are in for a long season.

Thats the other side of this coin - maybe RC needs to go.

Isnt it ironic that this incident happened on the day that RC got his extention.

things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

bulldog
10-08-2006, 12:30 AM
No taker needed ... just cut him!
The players would mutiny.

They'd see the organization failing to stick up for its players. The fact that Jackson did nothing really illegal makes it difficult to communicate to his teammates why he deserves to be cut.

Anthem
10-08-2006, 12:37 AM
To move him you would have to have a taker.
Well, yeah that's true. But if Jack didn't already have a history with us, this by itself wouldn't be a big deal. Because nothing illegal went down, this wouldn't throw off a potential trade partner to the degree that something else might.

He can be moved.

Arcadian
10-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Why would Walsh have to prepare Indianapolis for a Jackson trade?

I don't get why Montieth is called Donnie's mouthpiece either. Walsh obviously ghost writes under the name Montieth. :rolleyes:

DisplacedKnick
10-08-2006, 01:04 AM
I think the Pacers have to move him. If he wasn't already the most hated player on the team it might be different but fans aren't going to forgive him for this - not in Indy.

Personally I don't care - keeping him wouldn't be any worse, and maybe not as bad, as us trading for Sprewell. But the whole summer's ad campaign has been geared toward winning back the fans. They know they lost a lot of them and if they keep Jax they won't get them back. Simple business decision IMO.

SoupIsGood
10-08-2006, 01:12 AM
I think the Pacers have to move him. If he wasn't already the most hated player on the team it might be different but fans aren't going to forgive him for this - not in Indy.

Personally I don't care - keeping him wouldn't be any worse, and maybe not as bad, as us trading for Sprewell. But the whole summer's ad campaign has been geared toward winning back the fans. They know they lost a lot of them and if they keep Jax they won't get them back. Simple business decision IMO.

I agree with this.

If Jax stays, then their entire ad campain looks like complete-****. It already looks like partial-**** right now

denyfizle
10-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Jack should've been traded long ago. His court judgment isn't any better than his off-court judgment so I guess this incident more than anything is just a sign that this really has to finally go down. Fans have been begging and after the incident you bet fans are demmanding this guy to be banished. Our line-up really won't suffer without him, so as soon as a decent trade becomes possible, we should just rid our franchise of Stephen Jackson. I have nothing personal against him, I guess like Ron Artest said, Indy isn't just a good fit for players like him. Bird should really start acting like a GM and not make judgments as if he's still playing with these guys and share the locker room. There shouldn't even be a lot of thinking behind this. His hands are already forced, so just push the dang button.

D-BONE
10-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Stephen Jackson and Rawle Marshall to Denver for Eduardo Najera, Julius Hodge, and Dallas' 2007 first rounder. :shrug:

If TPTB really wanted to move him, this isn't too bad. Would the Nugs really bite on this?

As far as those quotes meaning they're now ready to move Jack, completely bogus, McKey fan. That creative reading is almost as much propagand and spin as your slanderous (although slightly entertaining from a satirical point of view) creative writing exercise elsewhere that involved Jack inflicting a head wound on one of the Simons.

Love these comments about how Indy fans won't forgive him as if this is the last straw. Those who don't like him never would have forgiven him even prior to this event, which really he doesn't even need forgiveness for since he did nothing wrong.

I am a fan that lives and grew up in Indy and I've got no problem with what went down Sat. based on the facts presented to this point except that we get a little unwanted media attention. Just some people who don't like him anyway looking for an excuse to amp up their get rid of Jack campaign, which they are entitled to.

Since they all were involved how about we just cut, buy out, or trade for garbage all four of them if this is such a serious incident in light of all the promises for change this offseason?

McKeyFan
10-08-2006, 02:25 PM
That creative reading is almost as much propagand and spin as your slanderous (although slightly entertaining from a satirical point of view) creative writing exercise elsewhere that involved Jack inflicting a head wound on one of the Simons.

Well, I'll take the "entertaining" comment as a compliment.

Technically, it's certainly not slander when it's only satire, not an attempt to communicate that he actually hit someone with a bullet. (And THAT would be libel, since it's the written word, not spoken.)

But I think I get what you're saying, that you don't think it's anywhere near possible, and to be a decent parody it needs to have the ring of truth.

I think it does, but that's just my opinion. You can have yours.

ABADays
10-08-2006, 02:34 PM
If TPTB really wanted to move him, this isn't too bad. Would the Nugs really bite on this?

As far as those quotes meaning they're now ready to move Jack, completely bogus, McKey fan. That creative reading is almost as much propagand and spin as your slanderous (although slightly entertaining from a satirical point of view) creative writing exercise elsewhere that involved Jack inflicting a head wound on one of the Simons.

Love these comments about how Indy fans won't forgive him as if this is the last straw. Those who don't like him never would have forgiven him even prior to this event, which really he doesn't even need forgiveness for since he did nothing wrong.

I am a fan that lives and grew up in Indy and I've got no problem with what went down Sat. based on the facts presented to this point except that we get a little unwanted media attention. Just some people who don't like him anyway looking for an excuse to amp up their get rid of Jack campaign, which they are entitled to.

Since they all were involved how about we just cut, buy out, or trade for garbage all four of them if this is such a serious incident in light of all the promises for change this offseason?

Now see D-Bone. Your comments are as random as Jackson's shots in the air. I can't stand the guy but after the "interview" I was willing to give him a pass because I am one who believe people can change. There is a price to pay for that pass though. If you say you are going to do something - DO IT!. Jackson isn't going to change. Why? Because this is the norm for him. It is out of his realm of thought to consider ramifications of putting yourself in that environment or to firing shots in the air. So no - no more passes.

Strictly from a business standpoint, I'm not allowing this guy to blow thousands of dollars in PR, to lose potential ticket revenue or to continue to give my franchise a black eye.

PacerMan
10-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Ron Artest was a star, maybe a big star. A difference maker. Everyone knew it. So they stuck with him too long.

Jackson isn't a difference maker IMO. He's a PR nightmare right now when PR rules all. He's got to go. Addition by subtraction.

naptownmenace
10-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Ron Artest was a star, maybe a big star. A difference maker. Everyone knew it. So they stuck with him too long.

Jackson isn't a difference maker IMO. He's a PR nightmare right now when PR rules all. He's got to go. Addition by subtraction.

Yep. I like Jack a lot (I own a Jackson jersey) and feel bad for him. OTOH, If I'm Larry Bird, I'm trying to send him to Denver or San Antonio or anywhere else out West. The Pacers have to make a statement otherwise their claims of "not putting up with it" so-to-speak will ring hollow.

If they sacrifice Jack, they'll probably gain a lot of the fans back. That's the truth... no matter if it's fair or not. That's the reality.

Here's hoping Quis or James White can be a difference maker at SG this year.

Since86
10-09-2006, 03:53 PM
No taker needed ... just cut him! Or suspend him for the season with pay! It worked for Philly with the TO situation. That would go right to his heart (but unfortunately also right to his billfold (because of stupid guarateed contracts). But, in the long run - we would be ridded of the CANCER!!! This bold move would sure catch all the other players eyes not to screw up.

Do it Donnie! Do it now!

The NFL and the NBA have two different contract setups. NFL has very few "guarunteed" contracts, and even those have many loops for the team to get rid of a player without financial cost to them.

TO had a clause in his contract about being a disruption was lines for him to be cut, without pay. The NBA doesn't offer those type of stipulations/type of contracts.