PDA

View Full Version : What will happen at Sundays FanJam?

RamBo_Lamar
10-07-2006, 03:23 PM
At the annual Pacers FanJam:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/fanjam_061005.html

How will the "Fantastic 4" be received by the fans?

Trader Joe
10-07-2006, 03:29 PM
I'd imagine there will be a scrimmage and some singing by the rookies. I doubt Jack will even play in it, but he will be there. If fans actually want to start the season by booing our players than they have no right to complain when bad attitudes start popping up on the court.

Hicks
10-07-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't know what most people will do, but I'll be applauding mildly like I normally would.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
10-07-2006, 04:13 PM
if someone boos i boo them not the pacers.... this could be one hell of day tmw

Anthem
10-07-2006, 04:19 PM
3 of the 4 will be okay, but Jackson's gonna get torched.

AesopRockOn
10-07-2006, 06:04 PM
3 of the 4 will be okay, but Jackson's gonna get torched.

Agreed.

Let's just hope nobody throws a cup...

able
10-07-2006, 06:07 PM
MR, as long as you know I am counting on you for a repeat of last year's treat!

and LOTS MORE is certainly welcome :D

rabid
10-07-2006, 07:08 PM
I think most people will cheer.

My thinking is that most people who would boo are probably not going to go to the Fan Jam in the first place. It is basically a pep rally, after all - why would anyone go to a pep rally (i.e. go out of their way to a promotional event) and boo?

Jermaniac
10-07-2006, 08:04 PM
MR, as long as you know I am counting on you for a repeat of last year's treat!

and LOTS MORE is certainly welcome :D

Yeah MR and Heywoode need to come through for us again.

ABADays
10-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Well the booing will be curbed because Jackson won't even be there.

heywoode
10-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I plan on taking my standard 300-400 photos, and my little camera will get some video I'm sure. A friend who has the same camera as I do will be going with us, and he will have a different lens than I will be using, so it should make for some interesting shots...

I'm not sure I will have anything up tomorrow night, as we live two hours away and won't get the kiddies home until after 9pm on a school night. Not very responsible, I know, but the FanJam comes but once a year!

grace
10-07-2006, 08:07 PM
If they applauded Ron Artest they'll applaud Stephen Jackson.

Lord Helmet
10-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah, MR and heywoode, hook us up.

:)

Thanks! :cool:

PacerFan31
10-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Well the booing will be curbed because Jackson won't even be there.

Jack will be there.

Even if he doesn't want to show up, TPTB will make him be there.

BlueNGold
10-07-2006, 10:06 PM

Exactly.

IndyHoosier
10-07-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm going tomorrow and I am going to applaud the Pacers. If Jack is still a Pacer, I will applaud him.

ABADays
10-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Jack will be there.

Even if he doesn't want to show up, TPTB will make him be there.

As I predicted, it's been reported Jackson will not be at Fan Jam.

grace
10-08-2006, 02:11 PM
If things don't start going better in the Colts game the fans are going to be so disgusted they aren't going to forget about what happened on Friday.

able
10-08-2006, 02:37 PM
MR will record it all so we have proof!

McKeyFan
10-08-2006, 02:58 PM

I get your point. I agree.

But Ron had supporters that Jax doesn't because Ron was excellent on the court.

Jax is bad on and off the court, so I say he only has about 1/2 the supporters that Ronnie had. JMO.

bulldog
10-08-2006, 04:19 PM
A) Ron was excellent on the court, and we were still considered a championship contender at the time.
B) The team had not yet gone through the series of events we've gone through, including yet another mediocre season and this ad campaign, and there was less cynicism among the fanbase.

There's a reason Jax is being kept out of this, I'm certain there would be some scattered boos for him, just as there will be all season. The only thing that'll keep the boos from being louder is a lot of fans will stay home.

Conflict
10-08-2006, 04:59 PM
I hope the fans applaud, we need the positive input!

Frank Slade
10-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I hope we can get some pictures like last year from some who were able to attend. :eyebrow:

imawhat
10-08-2006, 05:44 PM
I'd love to hear how things went. First impressions of several players should be interesting to hear.

Naptown_Seth
10-08-2006, 07:37 PM
No Jack at all.

Daniels during intro, very small smattering of boos, probably about 20 people total. One of the better cheers of the new guys.

Tinsley, similar during intros. Later when JO introduced everyone Daniels got only a mild applause, no boos. Tinsley got pretty loud cheers, and again about 10 people booing toward the end of the cheers.

Fans seemed unfazed and unworried. Far more boos for Williams crap effort during the entertainment haze. At least White went ahead and sang after some prodding.

Cheers for Al were the loudest of anyone, though JO's during the initial introduction were pretty strong. Foster, SarJas and Granger also got strong cheers.

I have photos, but I just got home and have stuff to do right now. Haven't even checked the photos. Here's the what's what though...

Al looked GREAT. Not just the 3s he hit either. He posted well, passed well and created good spacing with some hesitation drives to the lane followed by a dish. Set Maceo up for a strong dunk once.

Daniels played very well, pushed the ball well and for the most part he and Granger worked against each other to a standstill. Great sign.

JO, solid, nothing special but nothing wrong. Tinsley, Foster, similar.

Harrison - was up and down, but a few times he worked the low post with that killer footwork he has, very quick with his feet in the post and able to turn either way.

SarJas - Armstrong was able to consistantly blow up SarJas and frankly I'm concerned. They pressured SarJas all day and tore him up.

The one thing SarJas did have going was the old stand-by from last year with him dishing to Harrison, though they added an option to it where Foster hit the high post in case they overplayed Dave or SarJas and it worked well a couple of times with Foster making the relay pass into Harrison for the inside score.

I have to give Cabbages his due though, his TEAM defense was much better. Certainly far better than his ball protection. Kinda made that problem seem worse.

Armstrong - was uptempo and fiesty, doesn't look like a guy his age at all. Also his leadership really showed during the hazing when he took over and helped prod things along, as the rooks were pretty reluctant to do anything. DA is a natural leader and pleasantly outspoken (ie, not pushy, just firm).

Powell - has to be making the team. He looks pretty solid at both ends.

Baston - looks very mature and plenty athletic. I doubted what he could add, but based on today he looks like a rotation guy not just a 15th man.

Snap - same as summer. He shoots it well, he drives it decently, but not always safe with the ball and not a defensive ace.

White - was eh on offense for the most part, but he made several smart defensive reads to come help break up plays.

Williams - still as uncomfortable as he was in the summer.

Marshall - similar to Williams IMO. There is some talent there, but he played green.

Greene - eh. I was hoping for more out of him but he didn't really blow me away at either end. We'll see I guess, but I could almost see Snap beating him out.

Danny - played pretty well. Didn't dominate but he was a factor and at times did stand out. More than anything I thought he felt more like a vet out there. To me the leaders are JO, Al and Danny...plus some DA too.

Danny seemed to take on an authority role during the hazing. It was really noticable to me because as I say he came off with a strong "I belong here, I'm a core player" vibe.

It would have been interesting to see Jack in the mix and not because of Rio. I mean in terms of leadership and how he is fitting in. For example, Tinsley remained laid back and in no way was exerting any sense of authority. This was fine, I'm not knocking it because you don't want too many chiefs, just saying that vet != leader.

Edwards did not play either, and the other new signing did nothing to stand out IMO.

Oh, White put up one very nice dunk during warmups that got the crowd's attention.

Jermaniac
10-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Great recap Seth, thanks alot for that.

"Armstrong was able to consistantly blow up SarJas and frankly I'm concerned. They pressured SarJas all day and tore him up."

Wow he couldnt handle the pressure in a practice game, what the hell is he going to do when the Pistons press. So much for working with the Globetrotters.

able
10-08-2006, 07:44 PM
MR better be uploading things right now or I'm a gonna be mightlily upset :D

Naptown_Seth
10-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Great recap Seth, thanks alot for that.

"Armstrong was able to consistantly blow up SarJas and frankly I'm concerned. They pressured SarJas all day and tore him up."

Wow he couldnt handle the pressure in a practice game, what the hell is he going to do when the Pistons press. So much for working with the Globetrotters.
This is why I was concerned. I'm not anti-SarJas but I am anti his poor ball protection. He drew pressure today and it was effective at not only disrupting him but creating TOs or at least risky passes.

DA was able to tip the ball away from him at HC or just past it a few times. Once they were breaking out on the tip but there was a foul after the ball got loose. Tinsley, White and I forget were headed the other way and you had to feel a sinking in your gut thinking of breaks like that during the game (against the Pacers).

Earlier they did work some backcourt help for him to pass to. And based on how the scrimmage ran I think they've probably been specifically having DA work Cabbages for exactly this reason. He has to learn to handle it.

I want him to more than anyone because if he did it would be a huge help to the team.

Unclebuck
10-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Great report Seth. Hopefully some others can chime in.

So Marquis played small forward?

What were the teams.

I'm not surpised in the least about DA eating Saras alive. DA has always been one of the best pressure guys and we know about Saras

Jermaniac
10-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Did the new offense look good, was it fun to watch?

Naptown_Seth
10-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Oh, game was a tie, and IIRC it was Danny missing the final shot for the win. Both teams failed to score on their last possession.

Starters
White Team
Tins, White, Granger, Al, JO

Blue Team (I think, need to check the photos)
SarJas, Daniels, Baston, Foster, Harrison (Dave was on tip, so he was at the 5 to start)

Offense - there were some clear sets, mostly early (or that's when they were run better). Team Blue with Harrison and SarJas PnR A LOT, including the passes to Foster as the option. They ran that pretty well about 6 times in the first half.

There were a few sets that had TONS of motions, endless screens and picks, though they didn't really work the ball inside well off of those sets. At least the effort was there.

Daniels was one of the better things about Team Blue. He was strong about working the ball to the interior, especially to setup other players. It was a clear effort to be "uptempo" in the way I expect them to be, which is lots of legit penetration (not token crap like Fred would often get) and lots of motion to the basket following the dribble.

Al was even better than Daniels about this, and with other guys dragging behind him or coming from the sides when he moved inside with his dribble they were pretty effective at scoring the ball.

They posted JO a few times where he actually held the ball for a longer time than normal, but he was still kicking it out of there on the doubles. He hit at least one jumper out of the high post. For the most part JO wasn't a focal point on offense for Team White, certainly not like David was for Team Blue.

To me it looks a lot like you would expect. You will have Tins and JO doing their standard games, and then off of that you have Daniels and Al able to move well with the ball and attack from several positions which should pressure defenses pretty well, more than Peja and AC were able to do (since those are the guys "traded" for them).

Hey, Al dropped 3 three pointers and mixed it up well. Sometimes shooting deep, other times showing and going to setup something inside. Like I said, he was fantastic. His made baskets were all earned by his smart effort, not just chucking.

BTW, to me Danny looks like the new "everyman, dirty work" guy. He did a little bit of everything and often it was off of pure effort. He's somewhere between McKey and Detlef IMO.

grace
10-08-2006, 07:52 PM
There's a reason Jax is being kept out of this,

Yes, there is. He got hit by a car and has stitches.

Jermaniac
10-08-2006, 07:54 PM
LMAO. What kind of dumb post was that? There is a reason Jack is being kept out of this. God help some of these people.

ajbry
10-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Yes, there is. He got hit by a car and has stitches.

Grace 1, bulldog 0.

Unclebuck
10-08-2006, 07:56 PM
The White team was stacked.

Can I make a strong suggestion: can we keep this thread for discussion about the fan jam only. There are many other threads about the incident. Only exception is if you want to comment on the the fans reaction to the 3 who played, that is OK

317Kim
10-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Sweet recap!

Sounds like it was a lot of fun and I can't wait to see the pictures!

ajbry
10-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm very happy about the report regarding Al - he seems to have been impressive, which is what we need.

Unclebuck
10-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Even though Seth did a a very thorough job recapping the fan-jam, for any fans who went, please give us your full report. Please don't feel like Seth has covered it all

Raskolnikov
10-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the report, Naptown!

Naptown_Seth
10-08-2006, 08:18 PM
The White team was stacked.
I agree. At the start of the game I said "this is going to be a destruction", and while the core of Team White was playing it was. But then Al and JO sat for a lot of the end of the game and Blue caught up.

BTW, Al took off his shoes and threw them to the kids behind the bench (in the stands), and then someone else did but I didn't see who (maybe JO).

Also, JO informed us that Harrison plays WITHOUT SOCKS! 20-30 minutes of NBA ball in shoes but no socks. Yeesh. Take a pass if he pulls an Al and throws you his shoes. :)

Even though Seth did a a very thorough job recapping the fan-jam, for any fans who went, please give us your full report. Please don't feel like Seth has covered it all
Yeah, I came here to see if anyone else had opinions on what they saw or I miss.

One other thing, 3-4 of the Pacemates that were cut - Johnica and I think Kim (short blond) and a few others - were there. Johnica first sat about 5 rows in front of me which surprised me. Then I look over at the baseline sections and see "Kim" and a 2 others. Then they saw each other and all moved to another section to sit together.

A) it was nice to see them again :D

B) it seemed odd to have them there with the schmucks in the crowd. I figured they would have better connections. Guess when you are done you are done. At least they apparently are still interested in the team (or came to check out the replacements, or hang out with old friends after).

aero
10-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Did the new offense look good, was it fun to watch?

they played ok and yes it was alot of fun to watch. Ill post my pictures from the fan jam here in a little bit (i have a sucky camera so dont expect anything great folks)

SoupIsGood
10-08-2006, 08:24 PM
David absolutely HULKED some poor guy in the crowd. They were tossing little basketballs to fans, and Danny and David started hitting each other with them, throwing them at each other. David wound up and LAUNCHED one at Danny, missed, and friggin nailed some guy in the crowd. I think he gave him his jersey a little later.

Jermaniac
10-08-2006, 08:25 PM
David absolutely HUKED some poor guy in the crowd. They were tossing little basketballs to fans, and Danny and David started hitting each other with them, throwing them at each other. David wound up and LAUNCHED one at Danny, missed, and friggin nailed some guy in the crowd. I think he gave him his jersey a little later.LMAO

Diamond Dave
10-08-2006, 08:30 PM
David absolutely HULKED some poor guy in the crowd. They were tossing little basketballs to fans, and Danny and David started hitting each other with them, throwing them at each other. David wound up and LAUNCHED one at Danny, missed, and friggin nailed some guy in the crowd. I think he gave him his jersey a little later.

Oh Jesus. Did he at least throw a warning ball into the air first? :rimshot:

317Kim
10-08-2006, 08:59 PM

HULKED!

pahahaha. Poor guy.

Kegboy
10-08-2006, 09:14 PM
One other thing, 3-4 of the Pacemates that were cut - Johnica and I think Kim (short blond) and a few others - were there. Johnica first sat about 5 rows in front of me which surprised me. Then I look over at the baseline sections and see "Kim" and a 2 others. Then they saw each other and all moved to another section to sit together.

B) it seemed odd to have them there with the schmucks in the crowd. I figured they would have better connections. Guess when you are done you are done. At least they apparently are still interested in the team (or came to check out the replacements, or hang out with old friends after).

They almost surely retired, as opposed to being cut. Johnica and Kim were around long enough I'm sure they could have been back if they wanted to.

Anthem
10-08-2006, 09:32 PM
White Team
Tins, White, Granger, Al, JO

Blue Team (I think, need to check the photos)
SarJas, Daniels, Baston, Foster, Harrison
That's a pretty good first and second unit (assuming Jack comes back and White moves to third team).

Third team, then, is likely Powell/White/Greene/Williams/Marshall

Pretty solid crew, actually. But I'd still love to upgrade Jack to Maggette.

Naptown_Seth
10-08-2006, 09:50 PM
They almost surely retired, as opposed to being cut. Johnica and Kim were around long enough I'm sure they could have been back if they wanted to.
What about what WE wanted. Come on already. Talk about a PR nightmare!

:devil: ;)

Okay, just a couple to start with for fun.
First since Boyle reads here anyway, I somehow caught a secret moment of his healing powers as he apparently cast the devil out of Montieth. I woulda thought the shirt alone would be enough.
:rimshot:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l8/Naptown_Seth/Img_9536.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l8/Naptown_Seth/Img_9525.jpg

Eindar
10-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Things I learned:

White will be a rotation player soon. His shot has already improved over what I was told, and his athleticism is through the roof.

Shawne Williams looks like he just got finished reading a pamphlet about basketball, and was then asked to guard Al Harrington. Looked Bender-esque out there at times. I also noticed he seemed to be very nervous out there. Hopefully with time he'll get used to it.

DH looks svelte out there. Like, "are you getting enough to eat?" svelte. He's much more athletic now, though. Anyone else notice he had two questionable calls and he addressed the ref with it both times? Not exactly reassuring, considering it was a friendly scrimmage.

DH plays without socks....

According to JO, Danny Granger is the best dancer on the team.

Marquis' outside shooting is as bad as advertised. He clanked up a lot of bricks during the shootaround.

Al was very, very good. Far better than when he was last here, including a no-look pass to someone for an easy lay-in. Easily the biggest surprise of the FanJam.

Foster was much more agressive defensively than in the past, it seemed, beginning with a block on JO, and then being a pest for the rest of the game.

JO started strong driving to the basket like he used to, and looked good doing it. Later, he started looking to shoot more and drive less.

All in all, a pretty good session. They really need to tighten up the "after-scrimmage" session, though. It was very sloppy.

imawhat
10-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the reports! Pics are great too.

I know it's pre preseason, but did anyone notice less reliance on the three and more midrange stuff? I know there's little reason to rely on three in scrimmage, but it'd be nice to know how that went.

How about defensive differences? How was the help defense (particularly Al)?

Naptown_Seth
10-08-2006, 10:24 PM
moved to Photos thread

Naptown_Seth
10-08-2006, 10:35 PM
also moved

Kegboy
10-08-2006, 10:40 PM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l8/Naptown_Seth/Img_9525.jpg

Man, that look on Tiffany's face says it all:

"I was so gonna hook up with Heywoode, but since he missed that free throw, I'm outta here."

Tough break, man. :console:

Jermaniac
10-08-2006, 10:41 PM
The one with the striped shirt on is wifey status.

heywoode
10-08-2006, 11:03 PM

If nobody knows, most of the ladies who aren't with the Pacemates this season left of their own accord, i.e. didn't try out again. Specifically, Tiffany, Kim, Johnica, and Lindsay...Two of the four wanted to spend more time doing other things, and Lindsay moved to LA...Not sure about Johnica, but she didn't get cut, or not make the squad from what I've been told...

Man, that look on Tiffany's face says it all:

"I was so gonna hook up with Heywoode, but since he missed that free throw, I'm outta here."

Tough break, man.

Tell me about it....Hicks and Gnome got one comin' at the next forum party....

Naptown_Seth
10-08-2006, 11:13 PM
If nobody knows, most of the ladies who aren't with the Pacemates this season left of their own accord, i.e. didn't try out again. Specifically, Tiffany, Kim, Johnica, and Lindsay...Two of the four wanted to spend more time doing other things, and Lindsay moved to LA...Not sure about Johnica, but she didn't get cut, or not make the squad from what I've been told...
Well bless them for the appearance then. It was a nice bonus on the day. :)

BTW, one of the Pacemates went out with the Power Pack and dunked!!!

Pretty sure it was Melanie. Very cool. Is this going to be a regular thing?

heywoode
10-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Well bless them for the appearance then. It was a nice bonus on the day. :)

BTW, one of the Pacemates went out with the Power Pack and dunked!!!

Pretty sure it was Melanie. Very cool. Is this going to be a regular thing?

Yes, it was Mel that was hanging with the Power Pack. She did it a few times at games last year in her Pacemate outfit....

Los Angeles
10-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Lindsay moved to LA...

Finally, some good news.

:D

vapacersfan
10-08-2006, 11:25 PM
You can say that again ;)

imawhat
10-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Finally, some good news.

:D