PDA

View Full Version : Should they be tested for marijuana use?

RamBo_Lamar
10-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Since it is being reported that that marijuana was found in one of the
4 player's cars involved in the incident last night, should they be ****
tested?

LoneGranger33
10-06-2006, 10:43 AM
"**** tested"? hahaha, there must be a better way to say that...

Ragnar
10-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Oh **** this can only be bad

MSA2CF
10-06-2006, 10:47 AM
A small amount of marijuana was found in Jamaal Tinsley’s car, Mount said, but no one was arrested because the drug can not be linked to any particular person.

“There’s no way of telling whose it was, hence no arrests,” Mount said.

Prosecutors are evaluating the evidence to determine if any charges are warranted, Mount said.

---Indystar.com

So, it was Jamaal's car.

Mac_Daddy
10-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Does random drug testing cover that?

I wouldn't mind if there was mandatory drug testing for them. Much the same that I wouldn't mind mandatory drug testing for other jobs.

JayRedd
10-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Should they be tested?

Lord no. We don't need any more suspensions.

heywoode
10-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I say yes, they should be tested for anything that prevents them from properly performing their contracted duties.

Obviously the weed may be impacting Tinsley's (and probably the others') abilities to make sound judgments....

Unclebuck
10-06-2006, 11:36 AM
I thought they already were

IndyFan032589
10-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm not saying anyone should do pot but if they suspended every player that smokes a joint then half the league would be suspended IMO.

Putnam
10-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm not saying anyone should do pot but if they suspended every player that smokes a joint then half the league would be suspended IMO.

Phooey. If they suspended every player that smokes a joint, then players would quickly decide whether they want to smoke dope or make $5,000,000 a year.

It is probably true that very many of them have used the stuff in the past, but that is not proof that marijuana use could not be stopped. If every player were tested before every game and a positive test resulted in a season-long suspension, marijuana use would end quickly.

RamBo_Lamar
10-06-2006, 12:16 PM
"**** tested"? hahaha, there must be a better way to say that...

Ok - how about given a unrinalysis?

Frankly, I'm personally releived that no arrests were made over the pot,
and I hope these guys are cleared over everything. It looks like Tins,
luckily for him, may have been given some preferential treatment here
by the cops.

I feel what people do on their own time is their business, and if a pro
athlete wants to party, even if it compromises his health, well that's
his business - especially if it's the offseason.

But it's no longer the offseason and time to get serious about earning
those millions, so if one of them is out doing bong hits or getting
wasted during the midst of training camp, he needs to be sent a
message that it is unacceptable.

These are supposed to be athletes whose bodies are tuned for the
highest levels of performance, and the last thing any of them needs
is to compromise his lung or mind capacity by inhaling pot smoke.

I would think a pro sports franchise would be even more sensitive to
this sort of thing than most other employers who have strict policys
regarding substance abuse...not so much because it is illegal, but
because it is bad for the health, and could indeed compromise
performance, even if only slightly.

Now if it turns out the weed was just unknowingly left there by one
of Tins's buddies back in Atlanta, and he had nothing to do with it,
then I would think he would be fine with taking a urinalysis to clear
himself.

Jermaniac
10-06-2006, 12:17 PM
80% of the NBA would test positive for weed

Isaac
10-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I don't give a rats *** that the players smoke weed.

BlueNGold
10-06-2006, 12:25 PM
No. Our starting 5 would be suspended.

AesopRockOn
10-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I don't understand why they should immediately be tested; why exactly should David fattie Stern run over to SJax with a cup right after this incident?

efx
10-06-2006, 01:01 PM
I couldn't care less if they smoke pot or not.

Kstat
10-06-2006, 01:02 PM
As long as they aren't high during games, I could care less if they smoke it.

Karmakillaz
10-06-2006, 01:27 PM
If it was jackson that got attacked and who fired his weapon why did the police search 4 cars??

There were no arrests because that search was not warranted and there would have been no case regardless.

Nice of them to leak it to the media however.

SoupIsGood
10-06-2006, 01:29 PM
No. Our starting 5 would be suspended.

:granger:

Reggie4Three
10-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Phooey. If they suspended every player that smokes a joint, then players would quickly decide whether they want to smoke dope or make $5,000,000 a year.

BINGO.

I don't care if 80% of the league does smoke it now, if you start suspensions for those who test positive for it then you wouldn't see very many people test positive for it for very long. Until something changes, it is illegal.

Moses
10-06-2006, 02:00 PM
I really don't care if they smoke weed or not. Just don't get high during a game...of course, that would help our teams problem of arguing with the officials. :D

Raskolnikov
10-06-2006, 02:36 PM
"**** tested"?
:lol:

Isaac
10-06-2006, 02:43 PM
BINGO.

I don't care if 80% of the league does smoke it now, if you start suspensions for those who test positive for it then you wouldn't see very many people test positive for it for very long. Until something changes, it is illegal.

You're right, because they would use masking agents to test negative. Its incredibly easy to pass drug tests. There are so many products that work, or you can simply drink a lot of water and **** a lot, that works pretty well too.

Plus the league wouldn't be willing to crack down really hard because they know what would happen if they did.

naptownmenace
10-06-2006, 02:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2615124

From ESPN: The NBA's drug policy says players who test positive for marijuana face rehabilitation, fines and suspensions, depending on whether it is a first offense. Testing is done randomly throughout the season and for reasonable cause.

League spokesman Tim Frank declined to comment on the specifics of the case but said the NBA was monitoring the situation.

I bet they'll be tested.

Since86
10-06-2006, 03:11 PM
You're right, because they would use masking agents to test negative. Its incredibly easy to pass drug tests. There are so many products that work, or you can simply drink a lot of water and **** a lot, that works pretty well too.

Plus the league wouldn't be willing to crack down really hard because they know what would happen if they did.

Pricey tests also test for masking agents, which is why the Whizzinator was invented. I doubt the NBA goes the cheap route in their testing.

Putnam
10-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Pricey tests also test for masking agents, which is why the Whizzinator was invented. I doubt the NBA goes the cheap route in their testing.

Tell us about the Whizzinator, Since86!!!

Jon Theodore
10-06-2006, 03:38 PM
I remember when I pointed out TInsley was obviously a pot smoker about a year ago and everyone jumped on my case.

Get tins outta here, he's worthless.

Since86
10-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Tell us about the Whizzinator, Since86!!!

I know you're being sarcastic, this time. :tongue:

317Kim
10-06-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't want them to be tested, but they probably will.

naptownmenace
10-06-2006, 03:48 PM
IIRC, Jason Williams when he was with the Grizzlies got a 5 game suspension for the law finding some pot in his car. I think he failed the drug test afterward.

This happened to at least one other player in the last 2 years but I'm drawing a blank. Bobby Jackson maybe? I really don't remember but I think 5 games is the normal suspension for the first failed test.

RWB
10-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Anyone know if they're allowed to draw blood instead of peeing in a cup?

LoneGranger33
10-06-2006, 04:12 PM
:granger:

I worry about this every day...I hope this kid doesn't get corrupted! Stay with the Jehovah's my man.

BTW, Tinsley's marijuana is for medicinal purposes...You guys are always on his case about injuries, and now he's doing something for it...Oh the hypocrisy!

IndyFan032589
10-06-2006, 04:49 PM
As many others have said if they aren't high during games it's their problem not mine if they wanna smoke a blunt in their basement that's not my deal it's theirs.

!Pacers-Fan!
10-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Tinsley is probably on drugs.

bulldog
10-06-2006, 07:08 PM
As many others have said if they aren't high during games it's their problem not mine if they wanna smoke a blunt in their basement that's not my deal it's theirs.
Actually, I think its against the rules of the NBA and maybe their contract. So its not just their problem.

Robertmto
10-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Yes they should be tested, and if its in their system they should be suspended. This is a bruise on the orginazation and TPTB need to do sometin to fix it.

grace
10-06-2006, 11:39 PM
I worry about this every day...I hope this kid doesn't get corrupted! Stay with the Jehovah's my man.

Danny was the last Pacer I thought I'd have to worry about until Able and Hicks saw him after Reggie's jersey retirement game. :shudder:

vapacersfan
10-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Danny was the last Pacer I thought I'd have to worry about until Able and Hicks saw him after Reggie's jersey retirement game. :shudder:

Wait, What?

Tell the story.

grace
10-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Wait, What?

Tell the story.

It's really not all that interesting. Something about a purple suit and some major bling. In the big scheme of the NBA it was really nothing, but it was certainly a shock for those who saw him. Such a shock no one thought to take a picture. :duh:

BoomBaby31
10-07-2006, 12:36 AM
The funniest part about the whole thing was the marijuana found in the car door and no one was arrested because they "couldn't connect it to anyone". WoW that is new to me, Usually the officer will be like where were you sitting in the car or if it was in the driver side they would say "who was driving" then pen it on that person. If it was any average joe someone would of been going to jail

Julius Sour
10-07-2006, 04:46 AM
Look what our journalists at www.infobasket.lt have "produced".
Prety nice AVATAR :)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/JeyKuku/pacers-marihuana-gun.jpg

Js

Peck
10-07-2006, 05:13 AM
Look what our journalists at www.infobasket.lt have "produced".
Prety nice AVATAR :)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/JeyKuku/pacers-marihuana-gun.jpg

Js

That's pretty good.

Sad, but good nonetheless.

Anybody out there really not think that maybe our franchises reputation has gone down the toilet? Self defense or no when you have people in other countrys make an avatar with the Pacers logo, a gun & some pot then maybe it's time to do some self reflection.

Julius Sour
10-07-2006, 06:55 AM
There still are The Jailblazers.
None franchise could even get close to their reputation.

+

All those Sjaxs talks 'bout changing his attitude... lame.

Js

FireTheCoach
10-07-2006, 07:55 AM
The funniest part about the whole thing was the marijuana found in the car door and no one was arrested because they "couldn't connect it to anyone". WoW that is new to me, Usually the officer will be like where were you sitting in the car or if it was in the driver side they would say "who was driving" then pen it on that person. If it was any average joe someone would of been going to jail

HAHAHHA!

yah, thats exactly what I've been thinking.

I know that if I were at a bar with my friends and a fight broke out, somebody got a hit by a car, a gun was fired and on top of all that weed was found in my car....... well, somebody would be going to jail I'm sure.

RWB
10-07-2006, 08:46 AM
You know in all fairness the coaches should be tested too. I wonder how Grace's favorite coach would fair? :D

D-BONE
10-07-2006, 10:13 AM

I completely agree. To this point I haven't even touched on the pot issue in a post. It's just so layered with contradictions and irony up and down the line.

However, what you're saying perfectly dovetails with an opinion I expressed in the Jackson Fires Gun thread. Pro athletes and entertainers are not consistently held to the same standards as most people when it comes to their foibles with the law.

Certainly there are some egregious crimes that if they're found guilty they're done, but it in terms of a lot of the lifestyle choice crimes, it's look the other way or if found guilty never really feeling a strain on job security and the old pocketbook relative to the amount of money they make.

And given that the above occurs, how can anyone say Jack and others should be expected to make sounder moral decisions? It's a hypocritical system. The dominant narrative is they need to be mature adults and make sound choices as role models, but then there's no deterrent when they cross the line. It's just they way it is.

JayRedd
10-07-2006, 12:30 PM
There still are The Jailblazers.
None franchise could even get close to their reputation.

Pretty sure we're way past Portland nowadays.

8.9_seconds
10-07-2006, 12:35 PM
I don't understand why they should immediately be tested; why exactly should David fattie Stern run over to SJax with a cup right after this incident?

Uhh... I don't think that anybody should run over to Stephen with a cup....the players on this team don't do well with that either :scared:

Big Smooth
10-07-2006, 08:54 PM
As long as they aren't high during games, I could care less if they smoke it.

Exactly.

spazzxb
10-07-2006, 10:19 PM

It is probably true that very many of them have used the stuff in the past, but that is not proof that marijuana use could not be stopped. If every player were tested before every game and a positive test resulted in a season-long suspension, marijuana use would end quickly.

82 drug test a year= abuse

If the leauge decides to treat players in that manner, the NBA will end up no longer being the best leage in the game (noone wants treated that way and people only need so much money. Thats the problem in this country A bunch of republicans who think they have the right to control others lives. To add a conservative(not republican) aurgument ,do You have any idea how much your Idea would cost? I am sorry, but it is people like you who give morals a bad name. If you drink alchohal(far more hazardess), take baths on sunday(against indiana law), or use prescription medication(far more dangerous) you need to stop spewing this crap.