PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Person will be in charge of the defense this season.

aceace
10-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Chuck Person will be in charge of the defense this season.

The above was in the Sarunas article. I remember watching Chuck (fun player to watch, remember when he kicked the ball in the stands) I don't remember him being that great defensively. Should I worry?

Unclebuck
10-05-2006, 10:59 PM
This was discussed earlier this week. I'm just glad Johnny Davis isn't in charge of the defense

Kstat
10-05-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm waiting for the punchline.....

What, were Alex English and Paul Westphaul unavailable?

Unclebuck
10-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm waiting for the punchline.....

Chuck wasn't a very good defender, but he was one of the smartest players ever to wear a Pacers uniform, so I don't think there is any reason why he can't coach defense. Burke is also heavily involved in the defense.

Kstat
10-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Chuck was one of the worst defenders in the history of the universe, but he was one of the smartest players ever to wear a Pacers uniform, so I don't think there is any reason why he can't coach defense. Burke is also heavily involved in the defense.

There, fixed ;) .

Other than that part though, I do agree.

Kstat
10-05-2006, 11:06 PM
If anybody is getting a good laugh out of this, it's Jay.

Robertmto
10-05-2006, 11:12 PM
FWIW

Kevin O'Neill was invited to Wizards camp and is currently in charge of THEIR defense.

Unclebuck
10-05-2006, 11:19 PM
FWIW

Kevin O'Neill was invited to Wizards camp and is currently in charge of THEIR defense.

You can say a lot of negative things about KO, but he is an excellent defensive coach and if he is in charge of the Wizards defense I guarantee their defense will be much better than last season.

I watched all 3 hours of the Wizards practice on NBATV and I didn't see KO anywhere. But I did read he was visiting their practice, have they officially hired him

Evan_The_Dude
10-05-2006, 11:19 PM
We should have attempted to call Larry Brown about an assistant job. Ok maybe not. But it's not like it would have been any less of a joke...

Jermaniac
10-05-2006, 11:45 PM
FWIW

Kevin O'Neill was invited to Wizards camp and is currently in charge of THEIR defense.That sucks

Kstat
10-05-2006, 11:46 PM
FWIW

Say goodbye to your zone.

SoupIsGood
10-05-2006, 11:58 PM
You can say a lot of negative things about KO, but he is an excellent defensive coach and if he is in charge of the Wizards defense I guarantee their defense will be much better than last season.

and that the team will also hate him/each other.

Kstat
10-06-2006, 12:00 AM
and that the team will also hate him/Michael Curry.

There, fixed.

Robertmto
10-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Is KO really that bad as a defensive teacher?

Here is the pic.

http://aol.nba.com/media/wizards/tc06_day1_coaches.jpg

Jermaniac
10-06-2006, 12:08 AM
He isnt a bad defensive teacher, his players hate him though (all of them but Michael Curry). I cant imagine how the players felt like when the lost a great guy like Mike Brown and got Kevin Oneal to caoh them. Its like your dad leaving and you getting that ****ty stepfather.

Kstat
10-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Is KO really that bad as a defensive teacher?

Here is the pic.

http://aol.nba.com/media/wizards/tc06_day1_coaches.jpg

He's probably the most creative defensive assistant in basketball. Definately top-3, if not the best in the buisness.

Of course, his players all hate him, but the point stands.

Robertmto
10-06-2006, 12:53 AM
So exactly why do they hate him?

Kstat
10-06-2006, 12:55 AM
Give it 2 months. You'll figure it out on your own.

Kevin O'Neil is one of those coaches you have to suffer under to understand.

Jermaniac
10-06-2006, 12:57 AM
He looks like he has a horrible life when he is sitting on the bench, he gets really red and his hair is always messed up, he looks like he is afraid of Rick, I think Rick punks him all the time.

Robertmto
10-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Ok. As long as we actually LEARN how to play D.

I wonder how much better JJ would have been under KO?

(:censored: HATE you Zeke)

ChicagoJ
10-06-2006, 10:34 AM
If anybody is getting a good laugh out of this, it's Jay.

There's little doubt that Chuck was probably the least athletic 6'8" african-American NBA player of all time. He was what he was, a very, very skilled offensive player with a slightly unorthodox jumper that he perfected from anywhere inside of about 45 feet, and an undersized but effective post up game. But Chuck could barely dunk the ball, and that was before the back injury.

However, Chuck used his brain, had a very high basketball IQ, and played whatever role his coach asked him to play (when Q-tip head told him to stand at the 3-point line and do nothing else, his rebounding dropped all the way down to Ron-Artest-levels, later, when Bo Hill played Chuck at PF in SA, his rebounds shot back up.)

Chuck, long before DirecTV and the leauge pass, had a series of wide-format satellite dishes at his Geist mansion so that he could record, watch, and scout every NBA game, while he was a player. While I doubt that Chuck behaved like a monk while he was player, I think he was more likely to be at home, scouting another game, or shooting pool with his next-door neighbor, a guy named Reggie, than out partying and getting into trouble at 3am during the season.

There's no correlation between "great defensive player" and "capable of coaching defense" or even "bad defensive player" and "incapable of coaching defense". Hell, from what I heard, Bob Knight wasn't exactly a good defensive player at Ohio State, either.

I'd take Chuck's matador defense over these immature bozo's any day of the week and twice on Sunday.