PDA

View Full Version : Pacers lock up Carlisle with multiyear extension (ESPN.com)

RoboHicks
10-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Indiana coach Rick Carlisle, who entered camp this week in the final year of his contract, signed a multiyear contract extension, the Pacers said Thursday.

More... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2614373&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines)

rabid
10-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations.... very very interesting. Does this mean that Rick will take over for Larry when Larry takes over for Donnie?

sweabs
10-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Now, I thought that Frank Slade had wrote into Conrad Brunner about the ramifications of title Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations, and Brunner had dismissed it as a "typo".

Interesting...

ChicagoJ
10-05-2006, 03:38 PM
So he got the title.

I'm not necessarily happy he got an extension, but if he's going to be here he obviously felt he needed some formal participation in personnel matters (and, thus, demanded that as part of the negotiations). And he's probably right. Given the rumors that he'd told management in December of 2004 that Artest was uncoachable and that management - instead of trading him - intervened, and took responsibility for "babysitting" Ron while Rick coached the rest of the team, no wonder his credibility with the players was lowered.

He probably felt he couldn't risk standing up to SJax, for example, last season.

ChicagoJ
10-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Now, I thought that Frank Slade had wrote into Conrad Brunner about the ramifications of title Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations, and Brunner had dismissed it as a "typo".

Interesting...

That's not really it.

Frank wrote Bruno, and Bruno told him the posting of the press release "was a mistake". He didn't dispute any of the points in it. What he was saying was that the press release was pre-mature by a few days.

Naptown_Seth
10-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Pacers lock up Carlisle with multiyear extension again
Fixed

Actually this fits pretty well with the rest of the off-season when you consider just how many times the Pacers made the trade for Al. ;)

Frank Slade
10-05-2006, 03:45 PM
That's not really it.

Frank wrote Bruno, and Bruno told him the posting of the press release "was a mistake". He didn't dispute any of the points in it. What he was saying was that the press release was pre-mature by a few days.

Correct, odd that on the rare occasion Pacers.com breaks part of a story, only to retract it, and then have other sources confirm it.

ChicagoJ
10-05-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm not sure the story was either "Broken" or "retracted" by Pacers.com.

It seems to me that a draft just ended up on the wrong (public) side of the firewall and was discovered.

CableKC
10-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I wonder if this is a possible backdoor exit out of coaching that TPTB and Carlisle can use if Bird doesn't think that Carlisle can truly run the up-tempo offense in the upcoming season.

I can totally see in the 2007 offseason if we don't reach the 2nd round of the playoffs that Carlisle decides to move on up and focus on working in the Frontoffice instead of coaching.

imawhat
10-05-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure the story was either "Broken" or "retracted" by Pacers.com.

It seems to me that a draft just ended up on the wrong (public) side of the firewall and was discovered.

Yep. That's the impression I got as well.