PDA

View Full Version : Jasikevicius ready to handle NBA grind

RoboHicks
10-05-2006, 04:32 AM
Indiana Pacers point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius knows what to expect this time around.Comment (http://www.topix.net/forum/link/thread?forum=nba/indiana-pacers&artsig=73e3b2d7eb)

More... (http://topix.net/r/0sgB2ypc4UiiNybykHsA8fRk1q0zMTvEdnG0872XzIREGwsMvW lZ5nKBsYlPZWSWKBfmRJwJKvfSIi6kPRTnbRdYXHkhBHWyDhTh pU9W7cVXGmrjkfWhglpWGGFvBHfvJBdeTwDpgqLfBeV=2BeiMP gHw=3D=3D)

Eindar
10-05-2006, 06:00 AM
Where's Kestas??

:D :D :D

Anthem
10-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Where's Kestas??

:D :D :D
I thought the same thing. Of course, he'll say it's all US lies.

I'm still waiting for Maccabi's Maceo Baston goodbye party, though.

Speed
10-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Why doesn't he have a chef like Tinsley? :)

Julius Sour
10-05-2006, 09:48 AM
chill

peace

Yo!

Go! Pace'ers

Js

McKeyFan
10-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I like Wells.

O'Neill "was basically shown the door."

Jermaniac
10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Why doesn't he have a chef like Tinsley? :)I know I cant beleive it, you would think with all the money he makes he wouldnt make a comitment and try to earn the check he is getting. I'm sick to my stomach at how uncomited he is by not getting him a chef.

Los Angeles
10-05-2006, 02:26 PM
PACERS TRAINING CAMP
Jasikevicius ready to handle NBA grind

Indiana Pacers point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius knows what to expect this time around.

Pumped: Sarunas Jasikevicius, who struggled last season as a rookie, is confident after hitting the weights this summer. - Robert Scheer / The Star

Jasikevicius entered his rookie season last year not prepared for the grueling 82-game NBA season. He started strong, earning a spot in the Rookie Challenge Game during All-Star weekend, but hit a wall after the break. He shot just 26 percent from the field in April.

The 30-year-old spent the summer working on his body to withstand the long season.

"(The offseason) was a little bit more different from the standpoint of weightlifting," he said. "I got a little more weightlifting in. I think last year I didn't know how to keep my body the way it was the first 50 games. It was very difficult to try to get practices in. Now I know a little bit better how I do those things. I think it should help."

Jasikevicius averaged 7.3 points while making 40 percent of his field goals and 36 percent of his 3-pointers.

He likely will get the first chance to back up starter Jamaal Tinsley at point guard, but coach Rick Carlisle has others he can turn to if Jasikevicius struggles.

"I think he'll play better," Carlisle said. "He knows more about the league. He's had a summer to prepare himself for what he wasn't sure he was getting himself into last year. That's an advantage as well."

Two's not better than one

The NBA limits practice to three hours a day.
Some teams break it into two sessions. Carlisle prefers the one-and-done method.

"To split it up into two practices, those practices have to be shorter and sometimes you lose some of your time with a round of stretching and so forth," Carlisle said. "Our medical situation dictates for us to go once. Our practices are very taxing because they require a lot of concentration and physical activity. In a way it presents an even greater challenge than two-a-days."

O'Neill visits Wizards

The Washington Wizards invited ex-Pacers assistant coach Kevin O'Neill to be a camp observer. O'Neill was in charge of the Pacers' defense and was also the lead assistant coach last season before essentially being shown the door by being demoted to a consultant to Carlisle. Johnny Davis was hired as the new lead assistant and Chuck Person will be in charge of the defense this season.

This and that

Former NBA champion Michael Cooper sat in the stands for Wednesday's practice. Cooper is coach of the Albuquerque Thunderbirds, the Pacers' affiliate in the NBADL. . . . Center David Harrison, bothered by a sore left ankle, took part in non-contact drills in practice. He's still day-to-day.

He said it

"I expect it to be loud every day in the locker room, on the court, you name it. This guy is the real-life version of the Energizer Bunny." Carlisle on point guard Darrell Armstrong's outgoing personality

-- Mike Wells

Naptown_Seth
10-05-2006, 02:32 PM
I thought the same thing. Of course, he'll say it's all US lies.

I'm still waiting for Maccabi's Maceo Baston goodbye party, though.
Give it time, there's just too many highlights to sift through, and such a massive list of people wanting to tape their video goodbyes to him.

;)

kerosene
10-05-2006, 04:26 PM
What does everyone think about Michael Cooper's chances of becoming an NBA head coach? Suppose in another year or two the Pacers are looking for a new HC, would you consider him a viable candidate?

!Pacers-Fan!
10-05-2006, 05:27 PM
thanks for the news, i think Saru will do better this season.