PDA

View Full Version : Why Are Pacers Flying Beneath Media Radar? {Pacers.com 10.4.06}

Frank Slade
10-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Why Are Pacers Flying Beneath Media Radar?

Wednesday, Oct. 4, 2006

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. I look at NBA.com almost every day and I see news about other teams. I haven't seen much press about the Pacers and what might be expected of them. Is there a reason for this, and is it a good thing that we are flying under the radar? (From Robert in Charlotte, N.C.)

A. Generally speaking, the media national and otherwise doesn't quite know what to make of this team, which has led to the mostly conservative evaluations of the Pacers' potential. The national magazines tend to predict a fourth- or fifth-place finish in the Central Division, which really isn't an insult to the Pacers as it is a tribute to the strength of the other teams in the division. All five made the playoffs last season and could very well do so again.

The combination of the large number of personnel changes and the uncertainty about what style of play the Pacers will adopt has generated a lot of curiosity about the team but not so much confidence.

The players and coaches themselves, while expressing a great deal of faith in the overall talent level, aren't quite sure what anyone should expect from this team this year. Considering last year's mindset win the title or else it's actually a refreshing change.

Gone is the bravado of previous preseasons. In its place is a genuine humility. The experiences of the last two seasons have had a genuine and profound effect not just on the players but the franchise in general. All involved understand why the media and fans might be skeptical about the team and are setting about winning back their trust.

It isn't going to be an overnight process but the Pacers do appear to be very much on the right track with their approach to this season. Eventually, they should get their due, but they know it will have to be hard-earned.

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_061004.html)

Kegboy
10-04-2006, 05:42 PM
The national magazines tend to predict a fourth- or fifth-place finish in the Central Division, which really isn't an insult to the Pacers as it is a tribute to the strength of the other teams in the division. All five made the playoffs last season and could very well do so again.

QFT