PDA

View Full Version : Getting To Know James White(Indy Star)

TheDon
10-04-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061004/SPORTS04/610040434 (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061004/SPORTS04/610040434)

Position: Guard/forward.
<!-- ARTICLE SIDEBAR --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=210 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=5>http://www.indystar.com/graphics/clear.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD><!--MAIN PHOTO--><!--MAIN FACTS BOX--></TD><TD width=10>http://www.indystar.com/graphics/clear.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Jersey number: 0.
Height, weight: 6-7, 200.
Hometown: Washington.
College: Cincinnati.
Pro tenure: Rookie, drafted with the first pick in the second round of the June draft.
Question: Your bio says you first dunked a basketball at age 12. Do you remember it?
Answer: Not really. It was out on the playgrounds. But it was a big deal for me. I started out with a tennis ball, then a volleyball, and finally I could dunk a basketball.
Q: How tall were you?
A: I was in sixth or seventh grade. I was probably 5-9 or 5-10.
Q: Can you touch the top of the backboard?
A: Yeah.
Q: How many slam-dunk contests have you won?
A: Probably 20. Something like that.
Q: Is that something you take pride in?
A: Not really. If somebody challenges me, I'll do that, but the only thing I'm looking forward to is the NBA dunk contest. Other than that . . .
Q: Do you think you can win it?
A: ***********I WILL win it.**************************
Q: Do you already know which dunks you'll do?
A: Kind of. I have dunks I know are sure-fire for getting a perfect score. But going into it, I don't plan that I'm going to do this or do that.

Favorite part of that article is his confidence in winning the slam dunk title. :buddies:
<!--*** END MIDDLE **********************************************-->http://www.indystar.com/graphics/clear.gif

pizza guy
10-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Gotta like the confidence. I just hope it all translates into an effective player, not just a dunker.

Jermaniac
10-04-2006, 12:08 PM
I love James White

pacers20
10-04-2006, 12:10 PM
james white could become one of the very many steals in the draft i think a lot of potentional is in this guys so i think he is going to be a star in this league someday

jcouts
10-04-2006, 12:29 PM
a great many folks thought Vince Carter wasn't going to amount to anything other than a dunker...

!Pacers-Fan!
10-04-2006, 08:37 PM
lets wait and see wat he does.

bulldog
10-04-2006, 09:46 PM
a great many folks thought Vince Carter wasn't going to amount to anything other than a dunker...

A great many people thought that Harold Miner was not only a great dunker, but also the next Jordan.

We'll see.

Pacesetter
10-04-2006, 10:10 PM
White reminds me a little of Danny with his confidence and maturity. He went through 5 years of college.

He's from Kensington, near PG County (basketball hotbed) about 15 miles from where I used to live (old Greenbelt).

He does kinda remind me of Rip by the way some scouted him.

I loved the comment, "I WILL win" when he was asked about the dunk comp. Exciting player to watch, and it doesn't seem like it'll be long before he brings the house down with his dunks!

aero
10-04-2006, 10:33 PM
i cant wait to see him win the Sprite Rising Star Slam Dunk contest :D

3rdStrike
10-04-2006, 10:53 PM
He has the potential to be the star guard that IMO would put the Pacers over the top.

PacerMan
10-04-2006, 10:55 PM
I hope you guys are at least a little right. We gave up 3 years picks for him.

Naptown_Seth
10-05-2006, 12:30 AM
A great many people thought that Harold Miner was not only a great dunker, but also the next Jordan.

We'll see.
No, they thought he could dunk and LOOKED like Jordan. No one ever suggested that he had talent anywhere near Mike's. "Baby Jordan" came only from the facial resemblence some saw and his dunking.

As for White, what impresses isn't the dunks, it's that he showed poise and a hard-nosed defensive attitude in summer ball, as well as displaying a real sense of maturity in interviews.

Maturity and poise paired with his athletic ability. Why wouldn't someone like that. He might end up overmatched by other NBA athletes, it's hard to judge just yet, but we have seen some of his speed and definitely his hops, so it appears he has legit talent.

Pacers gave up 2 picks to get him, the 3rd was used anyway. And besides that one of those 2nd round picks came from the JJ trade to PHX, while that deal also gave them the trade exceptions that they used to pick up Greene.

So essentially you trade James Jones and a 2nd round pick next year to get Greene and to move your 2nd round pick up to where you can still get James White.

MagicRat
10-05-2006, 12:38 AM
He should be confident about the dunk contest. He has some great dunks in his repertoire and he gets 57 tries to get them right........

RamBo_Lamar
10-05-2006, 09:36 AM
My prediction is that White will go down as the greatest Pacer dunker ever.
Having seen some of the Pacer greats such as Hillman and Stansbury, I can
say with confidence based on those White dunks posted on YouTube, that
neither one of those guys had anything on White.

While he is already my hands-down favorite to win the dunk contest in
spectacular fashion, what will be most interesting I think will be the energy
and spark he will give our team during game situations.

I'm certain the players, as well as the fans, will enjoy the adrenaline rush
he will provide!

:-o

Major Cold
10-05-2006, 11:39 AM
i can't decide who is better:
White
or
The Air up there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Di7jFwAFuQ

PacerMan
10-05-2006, 12:44 PM
No one ever suggested that he had talent anywhere near Mike's. "Baby Jordan" came only from the facial resemblence some saw and his dunking.

Pacers gave up 2 picks to get him, the 3rd was used anyway.

Yes they did. The NEXT MJ was the story that I saw when I first heard of him. Plenty of stories suggesting he was the NEXT megastar.

Pacers gave up Alexander, the 45th pick in this years draft. ANd a 2nd in 07 and 08. That's THREE picks.

t1hs0n
10-06-2006, 02:30 AM
Yes they did. The NEXT MJ was the story that I saw when I first heard of him. Plenty of stories suggesting he was the NEXT megastar.

Pacers gave up Alexander, the 45th pick in this years draft. ANd a 2nd in 07 and 08. That's THREE picks.

His point is that we would have had to use one on James anyway so it is only two extra.

Like if we would have traded the #45 and two future picks for the first pick of the second round.

It can also be said that those two future picks will be very late second rounders that have reduced value.