PDA

View Full Version : {Pacers.com} Be careful what you wish for!

Will Galen
10-03-2006, 05:57 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/digest_061003.html

By Conrad Brunner | Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlisle
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR
Playing a faster-paced offense sounded like a good idea to most of the Pacers players. But they're quickly learning that run and fun aren't necessarily intertwined when it comes to preparation. Coach Rick Carlisle has made it clear he will not relent from his commitment to strong defense. In other words, the players need to be ready to go full speed in both directions, making this, in the coach's words, "the most difficult style they've ever played in terms of physical demands." That was apparent in the first practice of training camp, a sprint-heavy session that left the players dripping. "There's no standing around anymore," said Jermaine O'Neal. "It's up and down. That was tough. I worked out all summer and I'm tired. I'm really tired."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baston
DUNK YOU VERY MUCH
One of the main highlights of Tuesday's session was an exchange of dunks. Newcomer Maceo Baston, who developed quite a legend as a dunker in the EuroLeague, threw down on O'Neal. On the next trip, O'Neal took the opportunity to return the favor. "I thought we were going to have to stop practice after that," said Stephen Jackson. Alas, no such luck; the running continued.

O'Neal
NEW BALL ROUNDLY CRITICIZED
The NBA's decision to change to a different basketball this season is 0-for-O'Neals. After Miami's Shaq roundly criticized the ball Monday, suggesting whoever came up with the idea to change should be fired, the Pacers' Jermaine offered his opinion. He told the story of a recent Nike commercial shoot involving several premier players, "and nobody liked the ball." J.O. said the new ball tends to be overly sticky when dry and gets slippery when wet. "But it is what it is," he said. "They're not going to change the ball so we've got to get used to it."

Armstrong
D.A. GIVES YOU WINGS
Darrell Armstrong hasn't been around very long but the hyperactive 38-year-old already has earned a nickname from his new teammates. "We call him Red Bull," said Jackson. "Whenever we need energy, we'll just take a drink of D.A. and we'll be good to go."

Person
SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
Yes, it's true Carlisle announced Chuck Person as the defensive coordinator for the coaching staff this season, but don't panic. Though long-time fans may remember Person as something less than a stopper in his playing days, he has demonstrated a sound knowledge of defensive concepts as well as the ability to communicate with the players in his tenure as an assistant coach. Carlisle said he has "a lot of faith" in Person, who will share defensive responsibilities with veteran assistant Dan Burke.

Bzdelik
FACES IN THE CROWD
Training camp visitors Tuesday included former Butler and current Ohio State coach Thad Matta; Southern Mississippi coach Larry Eustachy, who coached Jamaal Tinsley and worked with current Pacers assistant Leonard Perry at Iowa State; and former Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik, currently the Air Force Academy coach.

Harrison
BIG MEN ON THE MEND
David Harrison joined John Edwards on the sidelines after stepping on Josh Powell's foot, resulting in a sore left ankle. Harrison is listed as day-to-day. Edwards is out indefinitely with a sore back. Harrison reported to camp in superb shape, carrying a chiseled 265 pounds on his 7-foot frame.

Lord Helmet
10-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Changing the ball is one of the stupidest things the NBA has done in a while.

!Pacers-Fan!
10-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Armstrong
D.A. GIVES YOU WINGS
Darrell Armstrong hasn't been around very long but the hyperactive 38-year-old already has earned a nickname from his new teammates. "We call him Red Bull," said Jackson. "Whenever we need energy, we'll just take a drink of D.A. and we'll be good to go."

lol Red Bull Gives U Wings. :laugh:

Frank Slade
10-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Harrison reported to camp in superb shape, carrying a chiseled 265 pounds on his 7-foot frame. :yay2:

Harrison
BIG MEN ON THE MEND

David Harrison joined John Edwards on the sidelines after stepping on Josh Powell's foot, resulting in a sore left ankle. Harrison is listed as day-to-day. Edwards is out indefinitely with a sore back. :kickcan:

Let's hope it's only a sore ankle.

Will Galen
10-03-2006, 06:24 PM
[url] Harrison reported to camp in superb shape, carrying a chiseled 265 pounds on his 7-foot frame.

Elsewhere it was reported JO reported in at 257 pounds. By the end of camp they will probably lose another 5 pounds if they keep running like it was reported they did today.

pizza guy
10-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Sounds like we really have sped up. Good thing we've got Red Bull to help out.

Baston dunked on JO? I wish I could've seen it. Especially with JO's answer...

ChicagoJ
10-03-2006, 06:30 PM
SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
Yes, it's true Carlisle announced Chuck Person as the defensive coordinator for the coaching staff this season, but don't panic. Though long-time fans may remember Person as something less than a stopper in his playing days, he has demonstrated a sound knowledge of defensive concepts as well as the ability to communicate with the players in his tenure as an assistant coach. Carlisle said he has "a lot of faith" in Person, who will share defensive responsibilities with veteran assistant Dan Burke.

:bowdown:

Kegboy
10-03-2006, 06:38 PM
:bowdown:

So he's actually going to do something during games? :faint:

CableKC
10-03-2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/digest_061003.html

By Conrad Brunner | Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2006

Carlisle
BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR
Playing a faster-paced offense sounded like a good idea to most of the Pacers players. But they're quickly learning that run and fun aren't necessarily intertwined when it comes to preparation. Coach Rick Carlisle has made it clear he will not relent from his commitment to strong defense. In other words, the players need to be ready to go full speed in both directions, making this, in the coach's words, "the most difficult style they've ever played in terms of physical demands." That was apparent in the first practice of training camp, a sprint-heavy session that left the players dripping. "There's no standing around anymore," said Jermaine O'Neal. "It's up and down. That was tough. I worked out all summer and I'm tired. I'm really tired."

I can see an "injury waiting to happen" if JONeal, Foster and Tinsley are running up and down the court for a full season while playing 32+ minutes a game. I would also think that this would wear down the players if we stuck with a 9 man rotation IF we truly will be putting so much demand on them for 82 games.

I gonna guess that someone in the 9-man rotation...at some point in the season...is gonna complain that Carlisle is asking too much of them. I would hope that if it does require them to run at full speed up and down the court...that Carlisle will really manage their time....especially for the starters. If he were to limit the starters to about 30 minutes a game...that would open up the roster to a 10-man rotation. If not....I'm just waiting for JONeal, Tinsley or Foster to simply break down....despite all their conditioning this offseason.

Jermaniac
10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
The part about Baston dunking on JO is not true, that never happend.

Unclebuck
10-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Interesting that Chuck Person is defensive coordinator.

Hope the players really want to run

rexnom
10-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Again, we're hearing the right things.

sweabs
10-03-2006, 07:53 PM
I can see an "injury waiting to happen" if JONeal, Foster and Tinsley are running up and down the court for a full season while playing 32+ minutes a game.
We all have every right to be concerned about injuries with this team's history.

However, your above comment relies heavily upon what kind of shape these guys keep their bodies in. There is no reason to expect an increased likelihood in injuries if everyone stays in top-notch shape and takes care of their body. Aside from any possible fluke injuries (which inevitably seem to fall our way in many instances...knock on wood), the responsibility falls into these player's hands. Playing an up-tempo style of basketball is fun, but you need to be disciplined and actually put in the work that is required for you to succeed and stay healthy.

pizza guy
10-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I can see an "injury waiting to happen" if JONeal, Foster and Tinsley are running up and down the court for a full season while playing 32+ minutes a game. I would also think that this would wear down the players if we stuck with a 9 man rotation IF we truly will be putting so much demand on them for 82 games.

I gonna guess that someone in the 9-man rotation...at some point in the season...is gonna complain that Carlisle is asking too much of them. I would hope that if it does require them to run at full speed up and down the court...that Carlisle will really manage their time....especially for the starters. If he were to limit the starters to about 30 minutes a game...that would open up the roster to a 10-man rotation. If not....I'm just waiting for JONeal, Tinsley or Foster to simply break down....despite all their conditioning this offseason.

Maybe there's a good reason we have 19 guys signed right now. ;)

The part about Baston dunking on JO is not true, that never happend.

:laugh: Don't worry, JO came back and threw it down over Baston.

Actually, that tells us something. A common theory for why we have so many guys in camp is competition, and I think this is a very good sign that it's working. Baston may not play an integral part in the rotation (though, you never know), but if he's making JO work harder in training camp, then I love the signing! As long as JO remembers that when someone like 'Sheed takes him down low and JO comes back and finishes on the other end.

MagicRat
10-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Here's some of tonight's news coverage of the first practice......

http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/131.WMV

http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/061.WMV

sweabs
10-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks MagicRat.

Jermaniac
10-03-2006, 09:19 PM
What would I do without MagicRat and Hicks

kshay
10-03-2006, 09:27 PM
I may be reading too much into things, but I noticed Jermaine O'Neal was listed as "Pacers Center" for the second video file... =).

Raskolnikov
10-04-2006, 02:56 AM
Thanks, MR.

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-04-2006, 05:00 AM
Thanks Magic

aero
10-04-2006, 05:33 AM
thanks for those video files, i wasnt able to catch the news tonight. you're a life saver :D

burnzone
10-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Did anyone else notice that this new section of pacers.com is called Pacers.com daily Digest ?

I know it's a stretch to think they got the name from here directly, but it just struck me as odd.

317Kim
10-04-2006, 05:52 AM
Yeah, I thought it was a coincedence. A pretty big one.

Thank you for the video :)

Eindar
10-04-2006, 06:08 AM
Did anyone else notice that this new section of pacers.com is called Pacers.com daily Digest ?

I know it's a stretch to think they got the name from here directly, but it just struck me as odd.

I smell a payday for Hicks and Able!

Hicks
10-04-2006, 06:49 AM

Yeah, I thought it was a coincedence. A pretty big one.

Thank you for the video :)

I smell a payday for Hicks and Able!

:happydanc

:D

CableKC
10-04-2006, 12:40 PM
We all have every right to be concerned about injuries with this team's history.

However, your above comment relies heavily upon what kind of shape these guys keep their bodies in. There is no reason to expect an increased likelihood in injuries if everyone stays in top-notch shape and takes care of their body. Aside from any possible fluke injuries (which inevitably seem to fall our way in many instances...knock on wood), the responsibility falls into these player's hands. Playing an up-tempo style of basketball is fun, but you need to be disciplined and actually put in the work that is required for you to succeed and stay healthy.

Maybe I am reading literally too much into the comments about running up and down to get onto offense and then back onto defense.....but I'm thinking that if the offense and defense is being run like this in training camp...am I to expect that it won't be ( at least close to ) similiar in the regular season?

I am thinking that the more running that we do...to get back on defense...and to get back on offense....it will only wear down the body through the course of the season. The more worn down the body is as the player continue to "run back and forth to get onto defense and then back onto offense" throughout the course of the season ( please correct me if I am wrong ), the more likely that it will be suseptible to injuries...fluke or not.

I'm concerned about the team running at 90%-100% for the first half of the season and then running out of steam by the 2nd half of the season and playoffs.

That's why I'm thinking that Carlisle should expand the likely rotation of 8 or 9 players to 10 players. The less minutes the top 7 players play....even if its a minute or two per game over the course of the seaon...the less likely they will be injured ( simply cuz they aren't on the floor ), the more durable and "less worn" out they will be by the end of the season.

imawhat
10-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Jermaine looks so much better this year than he did last year.

Moses
10-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Harrison at 265?!? :-o :cool:

sweabs
10-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Jermaine looks so much better this year than he did last year.
To be honest, I don't really see that much of a difference. I guess I was expecting something closer to when we first acquired him...but I think he's going to have trouble losing a lot of that extra bulk he put on. Perhaps he'll lose some over the course of this season.

Aside from the new haircut, I don't see too big of a change (just based on what little pictures I've seen).

imawhat
10-04-2006, 02:53 PM
To be honest, I don't really see that much of a difference. I guess I was expecting something closer to when we first acquired him...but I think he's going to have trouble losing a lot of that extra bulk he put on. Perhaps he'll lose some over the course of this season.

Aside from the new haircut, I don't see too big of a change (just based on what little pictures I've seen).

Look at this picture (http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/71293985.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193875DCB1DD8387ABB545B0F339BF21BC6 ) and then look at him on the 061.wmv up above.

He's shed a lot of weight. I think he was a little too big the past couple of years and now he looks like he fits perfectly into his body, if that makes sense.

sweabs
10-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Come on - the picture you linked is him wearing an untucked shirt that's about 5 sizes too big.

Regardless, I was hoping for something more like this, but I think he will get into even better shape as the season wears on.

http://www.diario.com.mx/imagesnotas/2006/04/TV_234240JO.jpg

imawhat
10-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Come on - the picture you linked is him wearing an untucked shirt that's about 5 sizes too big.

Regardless, I was hoping for something more like this, but I think he will get into even better shape as the season wears on.

You can see the weight he's lost in his face. I wasn't even looking at his body.

Wilmo
10-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Changing the ball is one of the stupidest things the NBA has done in a while.

Anyone know why the change?