PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats Have Tentative Deals With Warriors & Suns For Ely {Charlotte.com}

Frank Slade
10-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Bobcats Have Tentative Deals With Warriors And Suns

Staff writer Rick Bonnell ponders 10 questions as the Charlotte Bobcats open training camp:

Q. What's new with Melvin Ely? Bobcats coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff told the Observer on Sunday he has tentative deals with the Golden State Warriors and the Phoenix Suns on a sign-and-trade.

The issue became whether Ely's agent, Dan Fegan, could negotiate an acceptable contract with either team.

Starting today, the Bobcats can pull their qualifying offer -- worth about $3 million this season -- for the restricted free agent. That would release the team's hold on Ely, but it would also give the Bobcats financial flexibility.

If I were Ely, I'd take the sure thing by signing the qualifying offer. Circumstances aren't ideal for him here -- there's a crowd at power forward -- but knowing you have a $3 million gig and becoming an unrestricted free agent in July isn't a bad thing.

Charlotte.com (http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/15657743.htm)

CableKC
10-02-2006, 02:11 PM
If Ely could be had for 3 mil......in a S&T...then I wouldn't mind having him. Granted...he's not the greatest or even smartest PF/Undersized C....but for that price...I would take him.

At least this rumor makes alot more sense the then Gerald Wallace+Ely for Warrior's crap.

My guess is that its gonna be Ely in a S&T for Pietrus+filler.

I doubt that we have anything that the Ws want....but we should try to make a play for one of the Warriors' Herd of Big Men in some type of 2 for 1 offer. I wouldn't mind making some type of "2fer1" filler offer to get Taft. They will have Ely, Biedrins, Diogu, Murphy, O'Bryant and Taft. I don't want Murphy ( ignoring the fact that Nellie said he's slated to play minutes at the Center spot and Dunleavy Jr at the PF spot :confused: ), Diogu is locked up for his low Post scoring, Mully is in love with Biedrins....and I'm assuming that O'Bryant is still untouchable.

I think that Taft has some potential and talent...but simply stuck behind a platoon of PF/C. As to where he would play...I have no clue......but if we had to make a "2fer1" type of trade with our extra players...I wouldn't mind getting Taft out of any such trade.

Naptown_Seth
10-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Guess Ely reads Bonnell. :D

If I were Ely, I'd take the sure thing by signing the qualifying offer. Circumstances aren't ideal for him here -- there's a crowd at power forward -- but knowing you have a $3 million gig and becoming an unrestricted free agent in July isn't a bad thing.

CableKC
10-02-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm gonna guess that Ely is gonna find the market luckwarm next offseason as well.....given a deeper FA talent pool and the reluctance of GMs to overpay "only decent" players.