PDA

View Full Version : Mark Jackson yall...

Romsey31
10-01-2006, 08:51 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=g2ikqKQ3XSA

the true defination of a pg.

Run TMC
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zvQGHI-0GiE

Hicks
10-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks for that! I'd almost forgotten how fun it was to watch him play.

vapacersfan
10-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the link.

My all time favorite PG in Pacers history, Mark Jackson.

Anthem
10-01-2006, 09:35 AM
I remember that halfcourt shot. Wild.

vapacersfan
10-01-2006, 09:36 AM
I remember that halfcourt shot. Wild.

That was the funny thing, sitting here remembering half of those plays.

I specifically remember that shot, his pass to Dale off of the steal, and his no look behind the back pass from the post to Reggie for a layup (seems like that happened often)

SoupIsGood
10-01-2006, 10:28 AM
Is there anything better in basketball than watching a true PG do his thing?

I wish we had Nash

Evan_The_Dude
10-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Damn I miss that guy. He's my all time favorite point guard. I think that's what we saw in Tinsley when we got him. I still think Tinsley can do a lot of the same things.

Eindar
10-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I remember a couple of those plays, but it's really an eye-opener to see him make all those playground passes. It's almost like looking at Tinsley, if most of Tinsley's passes didn't go out of bounds, that is. :)

I guess I just don't remember Mark being that "street". Then again, all those assists didn't earn themselves! I also think it's amazing to look at the #1 and #2 leaders in assists, Stockton and Jackson, and see how very different their games were. Just goes to show you that there's not a set way to get it done.

pacerwaala
10-01-2006, 12:58 PM
That Dale Dunk at 01:14 mark of the video was just awesome.

As far as Mark, he definitely was worth the price of admission.

jjbjjbjjb
10-01-2006, 01:13 PM
I want the Pacers to retire his jersey. No other team is going to do it, and if he'd had his entire career here, they would definitely be doing it.

Peck
10-01-2006, 01:26 PM
My God I'd forgotten how great he was.

Man did we ever mess up when we didn't offer him a longer term contract.

pizza guy
10-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Definitely makes you miss the guy. I remember growing up in elementary school, trying to mimick Mark's game. It was awesome, out on the playground pretending to be Jackson, then passing to Reggie, also played by me, and sinking the game-winner at the buzzer.

ABADays
10-01-2006, 05:42 PM
This is exactly what pisses me off so much about Tinsley and why I am SOOOO down on him. He CAN do this. He just won't unless it's on his terms and let's himself get too distracted. Tinsley does not have the mindset or discipline of a Mark Jackson.

pizza guy
10-01-2006, 06:28 PM
This is exactly what pisses me off so much about Tinsley and why I am SOOOO down on him. He CAN do this. He just won't unless it's on his terms and let's himself get too distracted. Tinsley does not have the mindset or discipline of a Mark Jackson.

Exactly. Mark had a very serious, very business-like attitude, and winning was obviously the only thing that mattered. Jackson was always under control and focused, unlike Tinsley who gets flustered and into a one-on-one game WAY to easily.

If Tins pulled it together and played to his capability, we'd be able to make a youtube video of his stuff and in five years, look back at it and smile like we do with Mark.

Frank Slade
10-01-2006, 06:50 PM
My God I'd forgotten how great he was.

Man did we ever mess up when we didn't offer him a longer term contract.

No doubt, my second favorite Pacer of all time.
For what he brought on and off the court.

Bball
10-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Mark Jackson was also a leader... something Tinsley is far from being.

-BBall

LG33
10-01-2006, 09:44 PM
It was awesome, out on the playground pretending to be Jackson, then passing to Reggie, also played by me, and sinking the game-winner at the buzzer.

Wait, isn't that traveling, or at least a double-dribble?

But seriously, I know what you mean. I pretend to be Reggie when I shoot, and when I miss the shot I pretend that I was Stephen Jackson all along. Also, you should see my "I'm-in-a-lot-of-pain face", it looks just like Tinsley's.

pizza guy
10-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Wait, isn't that traveling, or at least a double-dribble?

But seriously, I know what you mean. I pretend to be Reggie when I shoot, and when I miss the shot I pretend that I was Stephen Jackson all along. Also, you should see my "I'm-in-a-lot-of-pain face", it looks just like Tinsley's.

:lol: :rotflmao:

Naptown_Seth
10-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Damn I miss that guy. He's my all time favorite point guard. I think that's what we saw in Tinsley when we got him. I still think Tinsley can do a lot of the same things.
I agree to a degree, which is why I like Tinsley's game so much.

Tinsley has better handles, good court vision and a large array of passes he can effectively make (ie, not so slow that defenses can steal it or catch up to the play).

However, Jax had better vision and his passing toolbox had more weapons in it than anyone not named Magic had. That video is a great example. It's not just seeing where guys are, which he did to perfection. It's also having wrap-arounds, behind the head, during a spin move, behind the back, between the legs, between the other players legs...and all with either hand and even while in mid-shot.

Some guys see the court okay, but they have to move the ball from a few fundamental passing positions and that hurts their PG play. By the time they are able to make the pass the opportunity is already gone. That's what hurts AJ most of all.

You could take AJ and Jax and have them just do a passing skills game of horse, without the defense or the player movement, eliminate the vision aspect and the ability to read and create spacing, and AJ couldn't come close to making the volume of DIFFERENT passes that Jax could, at least with crisp accuracy and speed.

Jax could see what needed to be done and he rarely found himself in a position where he couldn't do something about it, as long as it involved passing. For these reasons Jax was and remains my favorite Pacer.

Tinsley to me has about 80% of Jax's passes, which is still a lot and more than the average PG. His vision might be a closer match. And his handles are much better.

Too bad the dude can't seem to stay healthy (or whatever). He's not Jax, but he does get the offense going.

If Tins pulled it together and played to his capability, we'd be able to make a youtube video of his stuff and in five years, look back at it and smile like we do with Mark.There's already enough of these type of plays in his career to do a video like this. The problem is that behind that there aren't 100 more for each one in the video due to Tins not staying on the court.

Also I should add that I agree that Tins has always put too many out of play as well, but IMO that was the better way to error. I'd rather have a PG that every player expects the ball to come from at any second (for better or worse) than a PG that the other players give up on because they know he's going to run around pounding nails back into the floor before chucking a crap shot.

Anthem
10-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Mark Jackson was also a leader... something Tinsley is far from being.
It's because Tinsley's not playing on "a veteran team." :D

Moses
10-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Reminds me alot of Tinsley. Only thing is, Jackson's team-mates actually caught the dime passes.

imawhat
10-02-2006, 01:07 PM
I was watching game 4 vs. Magic from 1995 on Saturday, and it was great to watch Mark play. I feel like I somehow forgot how good he was. I think it was the lack of mistakes that impressed me the most. His decision-making in that game was near perfect.

Ragnar
10-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Who here can watch that video and not say Mark would be the PERFECT coach for this team!!!!! He would easily bring out the best in Tinsley (something Rick is clearly not suited for) Mark would "get" Jamaal.

grace
10-02-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't have to watch it. All I need to know are the truly moronic things he said last year when he was on TV. And then there's that pesky little thing where he said he thought he'd already paid his dues and should be a head coach instead of an assistant.

Evan_The_Dude
10-02-2006, 07:19 PM
If Tins pulled it together and played to his capability, we'd be able to make a youtube video of his stuff and in five years, look back at it and smile like we do with Mark.

Tinsley's Mix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvlxj92AboM)

pizza guy
10-02-2006, 09:14 PM

There's a catch.

If in five years, Tins hasn't pulled it together and played to his capability, his youtube video will only make us upset that he never consistently provided those highlights.