PDA

View Full Version : Shaq disses Barry

Romsey31
09-30-2006, 09:22 AM
What we can argue with is what Shaq told Stephen A. Smith about Rick Barry’s long-standing offer to teach him to shoot free throws underhand:

“Rick Barry’s resume is not good enough to even come into my office to be qualified for a job. I will shoot negative-30 percent before I shoot underhanded,” Shaq said.

Wow.

All we’re gonna say is that Rick is in the Hall of Fame, has a ring, averaged 23 points a game over his career, and shot 90 percent from the stripe.

We’ve been hearing all summer that the Heat want to sign a third point guard – that’s why they’re bringing undrafted rookies Mike Gansey, Daniel Horton and Chris Quinn into camp

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/DimeMagazine

Moses
09-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Wow. That definitely adds another reason why I don't like the guy. What an idiot..I can't even imagine what kind of shape Shaq is going to come back to Miami in. I haven't seen a picture of him all-summer.

pizza guy
09-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Wow. Doesn't have the resume? Shaq has had a darn good career, but anybody that shoot 90% from the stripe should be the one saying Shaq doesn't have the resume. That's ridiculous.

JayRedd
09-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Not sure why you guys still take things Shaq says as serious. He's joking around 90% of the time he talks to the media.

CableKC
09-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Shaq is the Charles Barkley of our generation....or at least will be when he retires.

Seed
09-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Not sure why you guys still take things Shaq says as serious. He's joking around 90% of the time he talks to the media.
Yeah, I think so too.
But I guess he's also touchy after all these years. He wants to be considered as a legend, and not hear the constant mumblings about his FT.

Dr. Goldfoot
09-30-2006, 03:49 PM
I think he is a legend. Plus Wilt & Russell both shot sub .600 from the line for their careers and nobody ever really mentions that. In the end, all people will talk about is how he dominated and changed the game and won championships and was a bigger than life personality.

Robertmto
09-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Why isn't Charles Barkley the Charles Barkley of or generation?

naptown
09-30-2006, 04:33 PM
It aint his free throw shooting that bothers me, it is his rebounding. For his career he has averaged 11.8 boards per game. For a man that has literally dwarfed every center of his era, was hands down one of the three most mobile and athletic centers of his era (see David Robinson and Hakeem as the other two), who lived around the basket, his rebounding has been a real disappointment. He should have averaged 14-15 boards a game for his career.

As far as the modern day players..... Rodman and Duncan both averaged more boards per game than Shaq. There is no excuse for it. Then there are guys like Dikembe, Hakeem, Barkley and Karl Malone that all have averaged just a tick under Shaqs numbers for their careers.

He aint nearly the legend he thinks he is, but more importantly the legend he SHOULD have been.

Arcadian
09-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Any time anyone disses Rick Barry is fine by me.

Fool
09-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Indeed. Rick had a fine career, but he's never been the nicest guy. As far as I'm concerned, he's just getting a little bit of it back.

Kstat
09-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Rick Barry is quite possibly the most-disliked player in the hall of fame. There's a reason why nobody wants to hire him as a coach.

AesopRockOn
09-30-2006, 06:03 PM

That's what I was thinking.

On the Shaq as a legend idea, one of my classes in high school met Tex Winter who made it a point to say that Shaq could have been one of the best ever but didn't have the work ethic or desire or something to get there. Tex is really old.

Roaming Gnome
09-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Rick Barry is quite possibly the most-disliked player in the hall of fame. There's a reason why nobody wants to hire him as a coach.

One of his few coaching jobs was in Fort Wayne for the Fury of the CBA. He only coached for one year and his win/loss record really had nothing to do with his dismissal.

The guy is just an A-1 a-hole!

JayRedd
09-30-2006, 07:50 PM
On the Shaq as a legend idea, one of my classes in high school met Tex Winter who made it a point to say that Shaq could have been one of the best ever but didn't have the work ethic or desire or something to get there. Tex is really old.

Could have been one of the best ever? Did I miss something.

Pretty sure he's a universal Top 20 of All Time guy. In fact, he's my #1 center. Granted I never saw Wilt or Russell, but I'm pretty sure he managed even with his "poor work ethic."

Sollozzo
09-30-2006, 07:55 PM
I can't believe Shaq has been in the league for 14 years, and people still take what he says to the media seriously.

JayRedd
09-30-2006, 08:04 PM
"All anyone ever wants to do is talk about money, money, money. I just wanna play basketball, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok."

Prolly my favorite Big Aristotle-ism

PacerMan
09-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Not sure why you guys still take things Shaq says as serious. He's an idiot 90% of the time he talks to the media.

Fixed

PacerMan
09-30-2006, 08:17 PM

Pretty sure he's a universal Top 20 of All Time guy.

Not even close.

Kegboy
09-30-2006, 08:42 PM

:cool:

Maybe KC is younger than we thought.

skyfire
09-30-2006, 08:59 PM
As long as he wants to be sitting on the bench to close out close games for the rest of his career, then he has nothing to complain about. If underhand shooting turned him into an 80+ % ft shooter, then I think Miami would have a much greater chance of repeating. I'm sure he could find someone other than Rick Barry to teach him if Barry is such an a-hole.

lumber man
09-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Pretty sure he's a universal Top 20 of All Time guy. "
no doubt.

naptown
09-30-2006, 09:17 PM

Pretty sure he's a universal Top 20 of All Time guy. In fact, he's my #1 center. Granted I never saw Wilt or Russell, but I'm pretty sure he managed even with his "poor work ethic."

You must not have seen Kareem in his prime either. Not the old shadow of his former self that played way past his prime. Kareem was much better than Shaq.

1970 14.5 Rebs. 4.1 ***. 28.8 Points
1971 16.0 Rebs. 3.3 ***. 31.7 Points
1972 16.6 Rebs. 4.6 ***. 34.8 Points
1973 16.1 Rebs. 5.0 ***. 30.2 Points

1974 is the first year the NBA started counting Blocks as a statistic.

1974 14.5 Rebs. 4.8 ***. 3.5 Blks. 27.0 Points
1975 14.0 Rebs. 4.1 ***. 3.3 Blks. 30.0 Points
1976 16.9 Rebs. 5.0 ***. 4.1 Blks. 27.7 Points
1977 13.3 Rebs. 3.9 ***. 3.2 Blks. 26.2 Points
1978 12.9 Rebs. 4.3 ***. 3.0 Blks. 25.8 Points
1979 12.8 Rebs. 5.4 ***. 4.0 Blks. 23.8 Points

Those first ten years of his career Kareem was a monster. Comparable only to Wilt. Too many people only remember those last 3 or 4 years when he was truly half the player he once was. And it is not just the stats, but the way Kareem dominated the game itself. The athleticism, the intelligence, the heart. Shaq is good, but Kareem was much better.

And he still had 7 straight years after those first ten that he averaged at least 21.5 points per game before falling off dramatically the last 3.

SycamoreKen
10-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Many people think Shaq has never been as good as he could have been because he hasn't had to. Whe you are the biggest guy in the game and the game is "revolutionized" to let you use your size to win instead of your skills then you don't have to polish your game. If the league had forced Shaq to utilize his quickness, stay in shape, and work on his fundamental game then he could have been even better. But, the league decided that letting him be the big kid on the black top and allowed him to use his body to "overpower" his opponents.

JayRedd
10-01-2006, 02:33 PM
The athleticism, the intelligence, the heart. Shaq is good, but Kareem was much better.

You're right