PDA

View Full Version : ONCE IN A LIFETIME Q&A SESSION WITH REGGIE MILLER! at HSE High School FB GAME

Gervin2Granger
09-30-2006, 01:29 AM
Well I was on the field covering the game for my school paper and there was Reggie Miller, so i changed my story idea. I only got a notecard signed to keep professional, but I will frame and mat it with a 4x6 image of me interviewing him above it and perhaps the ticket from his last game. Anyways here is the notecard with a rare full signature that I've never seen:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/Leftyguy02/In-Person%20Autos%20NFT/ReggieMillerIPNotecard.jpg
You spent the first year out of your basketball career commentating with the humorous anchors Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson, and Kenny Smith. How was it working with them and being a broadcaster instead of an anchor?
I think it’s a different mentality when you play the game of basketball you can control it a little bit more because you’re out there on the floor. But, when you are behind the mic or behind the desk you’re kind of just waiting for the action to come to you. So, I think that was probably the biggest change, but you know it was fun working with Charles and Kenny and Magic they are great guys they’ve been doing that for a while so the transition was very smooth
Another one of your retirement plans was being part of Boom Baby Productions (a film production company). How is “Beautiful Ohio,” your first scheduled film, coming along and what all do you do inside of the company?
We just wrapped Beautiful. We’re going to be showing it in the AFI Film Festival on November Tenth in Los Angeles, so we’re excited about that. Hopefully, there will be some distributors there to buy the film. You know we’re very proud of it being the first one out the gate for Boom Baby. Basically my job is to go out and find good scripts and find good projects to bring. We’re not trying to do “Matrix” or “Spiderman” or anything big, but we’re trying to do good movies that people can be proud of.
Is there any chance at a comeback at all?
Absolutely positively not (laughs).
Why is that?
Cause I am enjoying this life right now. I enjoy coming during the fall and watching high school football games and if I was trying to make a comeback I’d be at home resting, getting ready for the next day. So, I enjoy the perks of being retired and this is one of the perks. Getting to come to my adopted high school, Hamilton Southeastern Royals! To cheer them on to victory!
Do you think the Pacers will play better than they did last year or do you believe with the younger team they will again struggle?
Well they made a lot of changes so; you know Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird are fantastic in judging talent. I think it’s remained to be seen, but one thing they do have is a good cornerstone in Jermaine O’Neal. Anytime, you have one of the top 10, 15 players in the league good things can come from it.
LeBron James, Kobe Bryant or Dwyane Wade? Who would you build your franchise around and why?
Right now, as in today? You know I am still going to go with Kobe. Just because the simple fact that I know the fact that Dwyane just got a ring and LeBron is on the upswing, but Kobe just has that different type of mentality; that killer mentality. Those guys are young assassins in waiting, but Kobe is already there, but, if I had to pick one I’d have to go with Kobe.
Everyone seems to have there favorite Reggie Miller moment, mostly game winners. What is yours and why?
Truthfully, the retirement night. My whole family was there and we all got a chance to hoist the number into the rafters together. You know my family has been a big part of my success and you know I know people want to talk about basketball, but that has been the best human element of my career having my whole family there to help in the retirement.

CableKC
09-30-2006, 02:12 AM
You're a lucky man.....you not only saw Reggie....you got to formally speak to him.

aceace
09-30-2006, 02:27 AM
Good job ... great questions. I actually thought Reggie was just an owner of the production company. I didn't know was so heavily involved. He's enjoying life.

Roaming Gnome
09-30-2006, 02:36 AM
I commend you for a job well done. I have seen many interviews with Reggie, but it is nice to see one where I actually learn something new about someone I thought there was nothing new to learn.

Good Job! :thumbsup:

Will Galen
09-30-2006, 03:20 AM
Yes, good questions, a job well done!

sportsmusicxboxpacer
09-30-2006, 03:27 AM
good job buddy good stuff from uncle miller... he is still missed....

Robertmto
09-30-2006, 03:56 AM
Great Questions, BTW how did you ask the comeback question?

317Kim
09-30-2006, 08:35 AM
That was some awesome Q and A's.

sixthman
09-30-2006, 08:46 AM
I hate to be repetitive, but you really do deserve props for excellent questions. Nice job. And good to hear Reggie still hangs out sometimes in Indiana.

SycamoreKen
09-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Nice interview. Keep that in the portfolio for sure.

mboyle1313
09-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Gervin2,

Excellent interview. I've seen seasoned pros come up with less.

As for the autograph, I understand that you work for a school paper and that the standards are different than they would be if you were actually a professional writer. However, you allude to "keeping professional", so I will be presumptuous enough to offer you a tip for future reference: it is never professional to ask for an autograph in a working environment. That's never, as in no exceptions.

Great job with the interview.

MJB

chinapacers
09-30-2006, 10:47 AM
It is such a great Q&A that I've translated it into Chinese and put it on ChinaPacers.com, so that all the fans in China can share the view of Reggie.

I have been covering Pacers for 6 years and I know we don't heard often from Reggie these days, especially for an interview without PR briefing.

www.ChinaPacers.com

pacers.blog.sohu.com

grace
09-30-2006, 11:04 AM
First of all if that doesn't get you an automatic A for the semester your teacher should be :censored:. You could give Dan Patrick a few lessons in how to do an interview.

Secondly, since the words "Absolutely positively not" came out of Reggie's mouth will people please drop the "Reggie needs to come back" bull crap?

Third, are there any more ugly uniforms in Indiana high School football that those hideous gold things Noblesville wears? (And before anyone jumps my case, as a Noblesville alum it's my right to say it looks like :censored: )

AesopRockOn
09-30-2006, 11:41 AM
I can't believe that he was just there and you got to speak to him like that. In my senior year, he just happened to be at the high school b-ball championship game and I tried really hard to talk to him or anything but they were keeping him away from the fans. The closest I'll ever be to the legend: 15 feet and a couple of camera phone pics. You are very blessed my friend.

Gervin2Granger
09-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Gervin2,

Excellent interview. I've seen seasoned pros come up with less.

As for the autograph, I understand that you work for a school paper and that the standards are different than they would be if you were actually a professional writer. However, you allude to "keeping professional", so I will be presumptuous enough to offer you a tip for future reference: it is never professional to ask for an autograph in a working environment. That's never, as in no exceptions.

Great job with the interview.

MJB

The note card is actually something we are required to have signed to prove that we interviewed someone. Whether it's Joe Schmo or Reggie Miller I am actually required to have proof that I did interview them. I understand what you mean though, and I probabaly should have explained myself more.

Bball
09-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Kudos! Excellent stuff.

-Bball

pizza guy
09-30-2006, 12:21 PM
That is absolutely amazing. I've done work for my HS paper, my town paper, and now my college paper, but I've never done anything close to interviewing Reggie. Great interview as well!

Count me jealous.

(BTW, give your adviser a copy of that notecard, not the original ;) )

vapacersfan
09-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Great job!!!!!!!

As Grace said, if that doesnt get you an "A", then you have your professor call my people :D

Seriously though, great job!

Lord Helmet
09-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Great stuff! :cool:

dlewyus
09-30-2006, 03:59 PM
I too am surprised to learn that Reggie still hangs out in Indiana. At a high school football game no less. Wow. :cool:

vapacersfan
09-30-2006, 04:43 PM
First of all if that doesn't get you an automatic A for the semester your teacher should be :censored:. You could give Dan Patrick a few lessons in how to do an interview.

Secondly, since the words "Absolutely positively not" came out of Reggie's mouth will people please drop the "Reggie needs to come back" bull crap?

Third, are there any more ugly uniforms in Indiana high School football that those hideous gold things Noblesville wears? (And before anyone jumps my case, as a Noblesville alum it's my right to say it looks like :censored: )

I must have missed the people who said they wanted Reggie to make a comeback.
<o:p> </o:p>
I still stand by my position that Reggie should not, not would he have, taken offense by the signs of “respect” the fans showed him, one of which was chanting “one more year”.
I guess there could be one person who mentioned a Reggie comeback, but I seriously doubt they would be taken seriously. I have yet to see this person, though……

grace
09-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, I guess I wish G2G would have asked Reggie if he'd ever consider coaching. I think the answer would have been the same.

Doug
09-30-2006, 07:05 PM
I just wanted to add that I thought you did a damn fine job with those questions.

Kegboy
09-30-2006, 08:54 PM
I must have missed the people who said they wanted Reggie to make a comeback.
I still stand by my position that Reggie should not, not would he have, taken offense by the signs of “respect” the fans showed him, one of which was chanting “one more year”.
I guess there could be one person who mentioned a Reggie comeback, but I seriously doubt they would be taken seriously. I have yet to see this person, though……

There's been more than one person. Maybe they're all on your Ignore list.

vapacersfan
09-30-2006, 10:31 PM
There's been more than one person. Maybe they're all on your Ignore list.

FWIW, I have no members on my ignore list. I don't beleive in "ignore lists", I just ingore posts manually. I think everyone has something to add to a conversation, even if it is only 1% of the time....

Gervin2Granger, have you had the chance to interview any other "famous" people, or was Reggie your first?

SoupIsGood
09-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Wow, awesome work.

Stryder
09-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Nice work.

beast23
09-30-2006, 11:53 PM
I'll echo what the others have said. Not intending to be condescending, but complimentary - certainly an interview that showed a lot more maturity than your years would indicate.

You worded your questions in such a way to give Reggie a little lattitude in answering them, and as a result, were able to capture a more personal side of him.

Not so much about his playing days, but about his memories and how he thinks about things. And what he is doing.

Very well done.

It would have been very easy to fall into the trap of actually congratulating him on his career by making the interview about YOUR memories. But, instead you made the interview totally about Reggie himself, and as a result, were able to give us a memory as well. About how a high school student was able to capture one of the better interviews I've read with Reggie. Short, but very revealing.

Again, very well done.

Gervin2Granger
10-01-2006, 12:04 AM

Haha well let me think here in our conference no one other than noblesville really has an ugly jersey. However, Merriville, in Northern Indiana, has a purple away jersey and a home jersey that is black with purple numbers.

Gervin2Granger
10-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Great Questions, BTW how did you ask the comeback question?

Just as a normal question, maybe a minor humorous tone behind it, but not as a hopeful fan.

burnzone
10-01-2006, 04:04 AM
I agree with everyone's thoughts above, you did a great job, G2G, that is something to be proud of.

Robertmto
10-01-2006, 05:45 AM
Just as a normal question, maybe a minor humorous tone behind it, but not as a hopeful fan.

...sounds about rite...

OnlyPacersLeft
10-01-2006, 03:53 PM
whoa! Niiiiiiiiiiiice! he gave you a full sig! nice!
Must have been great!

RWB
10-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Good job G2G and what a sneaky way to get Reggie's autograph pretending to do an interview. ;)

Seriously, my favorite Bob could take some lessons from you.

On a side note I have to laugh about Mark's comment about an autograph and professionalism. Not that I disagree, but my most cherished item is a Mel Daniels autograph signed on a parking ticket. :devil: And before anyone get's any ideas this was on private property and not on public property. :tongue: