PDA

View Full Version : Prediction Poll

Will Galen
09-30-2006, 12:32 AM
I thought it would be interesting to have a series of polls on how many games the Pacers will win. One now before camp opens. Another right before we start preseason games and another after preseason and right before they start playing for keeps.

What I thought would be interesting is how peoples views change as we get farther along in the season and we learn more about the team. All you have to do is vote, I'll make a list of how people voted and do the comparisons.

This first poll is your pre-season prediction. This poll will be open until the 3rd when training camp starts.

I have to post the thread before I can make the poll so give me a few minutes.

317Kim
09-30-2006, 08:41 AM
I'd say around 55 games on the :sunshine: side.

Speed
09-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Toughest year to call for me. Its another team you have no idea if they will approach potential and the league itself is in flux. Youth could be served in a big way with the Clevelands and Chicagos. It's very difficult to get a feel.

rexnom
09-30-2006, 09:44 AM
If we had this team in 03-04, we could easily be good for 55 games but the East is much tougher now.

BoomBaby33
09-30-2006, 11:58 AM
My prediction at this point of 44 wins is based on the notion that the majority of the wins will come later in the season. I feel they will struggle the first part of the season (maybe 18-20 wins in first 41 games), and miraculously they will come together when it counts later in the season (24-26 games in last 41 games). Its gonna take time for this team to gel. Lotta new faces. They will end up the 6 seed again, but they have prospered in the past as a 6 seed.

Jermaniac
09-30-2006, 12:01 PM

Unclebuck
09-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm predicting 44 until I see the preseason games

lumber man
09-30-2006, 12:13 PM

Pitons
09-30-2006, 01:16 PM
50. I'm realist. ;)

SoupIsGood
09-30-2006, 01:37 PM

WRITE IT DOWN

Los Angeles
09-30-2006, 01:46 PM
RCAREY!!!

:crazy:

Arcadian
09-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Hard to tell with so many changes and the question looming of whether or not any of the changes changed the culture.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
09-30-2006, 02:01 PM
who voted below 30?? someone tell me who!!! grrrr

grace
09-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Obviously rcarey didn't want me to have the lowest guess.

The Hustler
09-30-2006, 03:05 PM
hmmm tis interesting that all but 3 people ahve predicted a record above 500 and therefor above last yr!

As for me ... 51 ;)

Los Angeles
09-30-2006, 03:27 PM
hmmm tis interesting that all but 3 people ahve predicted a record above 500 and therefor above last yr!

Honestly, I think I could handle a .350 season this year more easily than I was able to take last season's .500 . The way the season unfolded was much worse than the record. It really took the fun out of being a fan.

I don't really care much about the record, especially not this season. All I'm asking for is stability, professionalism and progress. We've gone too many years without any of those.

Will Galen
09-30-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm predicting 44 until I see the preseason games

Exactly what I'm interested in seeing. How people's predictions will change after they know more about this team.

I think most people's predictions will be upward after they see this team in action. What gets me is I saw one national magazine that said the Pacer's need to rebuild because their time is over.

However, most if not all the starters on this team are going to be experienced vets. Right now the starters are projected to come from this group, JO, Al, Jeff, Tins, Jax, and Granger.

With the exception of the last two, all played major parts on the team that won 61 games. If this team stays healthy I don't care what teams have improved, this will be one of the elite teams again.

Los Angeles
09-30-2006, 04:31 PM
By the way Will, I would recommend that you set these prediction polls to close after a week or so. you'll see a lot of johnny come latelys add a vote AFTER they know the results. This happened a few times in polls from the last couple of seasons.

I was one of only two people to get a certain poll right last year, only to see about fifteen posters add a vote after the real life results came in. :unimpress

BlueNGold
09-30-2006, 04:39 PM
The chemistry should be better and hopefully their health. If so, I think 51 games is possible. Chemistry. I am not sure the first time people starting posting that as a problem, but finally the team is addressing it.

Now, the issue will be continuity. The team needs a rotation. We need a starting lineup...one that stays the same for more than 2 games in a row....like all season. I guess that is dependent on their health.

Also, our 6 through 10 players should form a second unit. If we need to sub one of them in for a starter, fine...but we need consistency with the second unit too.

I suppose sometimes matchups dictate things, but I would prefer keeping consistent rotations unless match ups are a big problem. IMO this will build on better chemistry and motivate the bench to play better.

Will Galen
09-30-2006, 11:13 PM
By the way Will, I would recommend that you set these prediction polls to close after a week or so. you'll see a lot of johnny come latelys add a vote AFTER they know the results. This happened a few times in polls from the last couple of seasons.
:unimpress

I remember that. And I set this first poll to close the 3rd when camp opens. Before the first preseason game I'll have another poll, and then the final poll right before the season starts.

ChicagoJ
10-02-2006, 07:23 PM
I'll bet the votes start coming down during the preseason.

This team should not look good at all between now and say, February.

Remember Brownie's first year, 0-6, 3-8, still struggling big-time in January. But after all that learning, adjusting, and aclimating, it finally all came together.

If this team is comfortable or aesthetically pleasing any time soon, then Rick hasn't changed enough from the previous season.

aero
10-02-2006, 09:07 PM
im gonna say 50 games, we have a rough first month or...so im gonna say 50

Will Galen
10-02-2006, 09:27 PM
I'll bet the votes start coming down during the preseason.

This team should not look good at all between now and say, February.

I disagree, I think they will go up. We'll see.

If this team is comfortable or aesthetically pleasing any time soon, then Rick hasn't changed enough from the previous season.

I disagree again, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

NorCal_Pacerfan
10-02-2006, 10:21 PM
I went with 51. I'd be really stoked if we could get in the high 50s.

Jose Slaughter
10-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Theres going to be a lot of very unhappy people around here.

aero
10-03-2006, 03:39 AM
Theres going to be a lot of very unhappy people around here.

maybe so, but we must think positive :)

Bball
10-03-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm going to be optimistic and say 41 games right now (the poll closed before I could vote).

I'm afraid the phrase we're going to hear this year is:
"As soon as these guys gel...."

IMHO this team fell too far in too many ways for the record, or even playoffs, to be all that much of an issue this year. What we need to see now is the team meshing REGARDLESS of the W/L column. This year is about next year. It's about how the players position themselves for next year. The same goes for coaching. There's no need to throw the kitchen sink at the court in order to pull out wins. Install the system, strengthen it, and learn from the trials and tribulations of the season.

If the team can't handle pressure, can't maintain professionalism, loses focus, or heads off on their own agenda then we don't need a band-aid put on it. We need surgery.

If they are coming together and can make a run at the playoffs then great... but just making the playoffs should not be the be all, end all, of this team's existence. Not this season.

-Bball

!Pacers-Fan!
10-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Probably 45.