PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want? (Possible roster challenges on the Pacers)

Outsider
09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Ok Lets assume we are going to go into the season just with the people on the current payroll. We have to trim 3 players from the roster before the start of the season.

Who is going to get the cut (or trade for a draft pick from someone else)?

Here is how I see it breaking out:

Following are safe from the get-go: O'neal,Tinsley, Jackson, Jasikevicius, Armstrong, Harrison, Foster, Harrington, Granger, Daniels

I think Baston, and the two rookies White and Williams are safe (why would we trade up if we didn't want to keep them both??).

So for the 2 spots left:

Edwards is #1 gone. He gets a chance to show something in the preseason and maybe another Atlanta-ish team takes a chance on him when he is released....but is gone from the pacers.

The last two cuts will depend on play in the preseason and they are direct competition between two people in each case.

#1 - Greene vs. Hunter - Defense vs. Scoring ( or Young vs. Old). Based on the lack of outside shooting I can see Hunter making it unless Green REALLY stands out in the Preseason. Possible Greene will be traded for a 2nd rounder from someone as he has a rookie deal and has potential.

#2 - Marshall vs. Powell - The Dallas connection battle - I think Powell has the one up here as the bigger man but it is close. Preseason seperation and where the need is shown I guess. Again, Marshall may garner a 2nd round pick someplace too.

So that leaves Hunter and Powell in with the three cut loose being Edwards, Greene and Marshall.

THoughts?????

Isaac
09-28-2006, 02:21 PM
I want Orien Greene over Snap, and I want Powell.

ajbry
09-28-2006, 03:11 PM
At this point, I'd rather see Orien as the backup PG (rather than Saras). Hunter won't make the team.

Orien is quite a bit better than you guys think. I got a chance to watch him last season and he is a nice player.

able
09-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Greene is certainty, why otherwise pick up his contract of wavers.

D-BONE
09-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Put me down as being most interested in Greene than any of the guys being discussed here as final cuts. I think his atheticism, defense, and the experience he's already gained in just a year in the league make him an important piece given our highly uncertain PG situation.

Leisure Suit Larry
09-28-2006, 06:14 PM
I want Greene and Marshall.

PacerMan
09-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Ok Lets assume we are going to go into the season just with the people on the current payroll. We have to trim 3 players from the roster before the start of the season.

Who is going to get the cut (or trade for a draft pick from someone else)?

Here is how I see it breaking out:

Following are safe from the get-go: O'neal,Tinsley, Jackson, Jasikevicius, Armstrong, Harrison, Foster, Harrington, Granger, Daniels

I think Baston, and the two rookies White and Williams are safe (why would we trade up if we didn't want to keep them both??).

So for the 2 spots left:

Edwards is #1 gone. He gets a chance to show something in the preseason and maybe another Atlanta-ish team takes a chance on him when he is released....but is gone from the pacers.

The last two cuts will depend on play in the preseason and they are direct competition between two people in each case.

#1 - Greene vs. Hunter - Defense vs. Scoring ( or Young vs. Old). Based on the lack of outside shooting I can see Hunter making it unless Green REALLY stands out in the Preseason. Possible Greene will be traded for a 2nd rounder from someone as he has a rookie deal and has potential.

#2 - Marshall vs. Powell - The Dallas connection battle - I think Powell has the one up here as the bigger man but it is close. Preseason seperation and where the need is shown I guess. Again, Marshall may garner a 2nd round pick someplace too.

So that leaves Hunter and Powell in with the three cut loose being Edwards, Greene and Marshall.

THoughts?????

The 14th or 15th man off the bench is NOT going to play enough to make a difference with his outside shooting. ESPECIALLY if his weakness is running a team, which is all I've read about Hunter from TPTB. On the other hand, given the skills and weaknesses of the point guards that WILL play (tins and saras), a real defensive minded pg COULD come in and fill a few minutes slowing down (maybe) a hot scoring pg.
Greene stays, Hunter goes, IMO>

PacerMan
09-28-2006, 09:00 PM
If you read the Power Forwards piece on the official site, it sounds like Powell has shown VERY well. We certainly could use a big strong body up front. I'm hoping he keeps showing up in training camp.

lumber man
09-28-2006, 09:08 PM
seems like most want Greene here,I like how how he looked last season. As far as the forwards go, it doesn't matter to me.