PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Tinsley

sweabs
09-28-2006, 01:27 AM
a

naptown
09-28-2006, 01:35 AM
Plain and simple, the Pacers only go as far as Tinsley's health. He stays healthy we can make a deep run into the playoffs. He has an injury plagued year and is unavailable for the playoffs and we are once again playing one series and out and are drafting 17th.

CableKC
09-28-2006, 01:57 AM
We can either be a 50+ win team or we can be a 36+ win team.....all depending on how healthy both those players do.

I don't know about you.....but its pretty scary when our season resides primarily on the health of Tinsley and JONeal.

Bball
09-28-2006, 01:59 AM
Tinsley has to stay healthy and keep his head in the game and focused on the bigger picture.... not a battle of oneupsmanship that he too easily gets goaded into. Not that he's the only player with this problem, but at the point it just cannot be happening. That also includes the pettiness, the pouting, and the fake illnesses.

-Bball

beast23
09-28-2006, 02:00 AM
I've made no secret that I'm no fan of Tinsley's.

But, that said, I agree with most of what you guys have written. Especially naptown's statement that the Pacers will probably go no further than Tinsley can take them.

There are a lot of things that annoy me about Tinsley. But, I've had folks working for me through the years that have annoyed me to no end, but some of them have also been very productive employees.

I'm also worried that Rick will not trust Tinsley with the offense. But, I believe that Rick is CAPABLE of trusting a PG in a faster-paced offense... at least to the point of giving up a lot of the control.

But what I hope Tinsley understands is that he also has to change in order to gain Rick's trust. IMO, the only really important change that Tinsley must make is that he must focus "on the team" 100% of the time.

That doesn't mean that he can't take advantage of opportunities that come his way or that he calls his own number when he is particularly effective or "gets hot".

What it does mean is that he matures enough to overlook the fact that an opposing PG will occassionally "burn him" by showing him up and going on a scoring spurt. When that happens, Tinsley absolutely must continue with the game plan and not react to his opponent's trash-talking by trying to go into one of his private 1-on-1 contests against his opponent.

This is my only significant problem with Tinsley... his his opponent, or the bad calls or no calls by an official for that matter, cause him to lose focus far too often for my taste.

But, if he is able to overcome this one flaw (IMO a significant flaw), I think that most other problems are minor and I see no reason why Rick would not put more trust in him.

All Rick really wants is for Tinsley to about the team, the whole team and nothing but the team. In other words, it's time for Tinsley to dring the Kool-aid.

If he can do that, he'll never be my favorite player, but he will have gained my respect.

McKeyFan
09-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Tinsley can't shoot.

ChicagoJ
09-28-2006, 10:52 AM
He's the only NBA-caliber PG on our roster.

Not only that, but he *can* be a top-quality PG in the NBA when healthy and focused.

We need him to play to his capabilities (note that I'm not saying "potential") like he did from January to April of 2004, or even in November and December of 2004. If he does, we're one of the top teams in the East. If he doesn't, we're a first-round-and-out team.

The problem continues to be, the players that are truly Tinsley's equal or better, in terms of running an offense, are very difficult (expensive) to acquire. Tinsley's inabilty to stay healthy and focused is certainly a problem, but playing an inferior PG just because they are consistently bad-to-average (like AJ and Saras) isn't really a solution, either. We either need Tinsley healthy, focuses, and playing to his capabilities or we need to make a franchise-changing trade for a PG that is better than Tinsley.

ABADays
09-28-2006, 11:58 AM
I don't ever want to see Tinsley assume more of a scoring role. Good Lord, of all the black holes we've ever experienced on this team, Tinsley is the biggest when he gets his ego challenged. Distribution comes to a standstill. Besides, my ears are still ringing from the clanks off the front of the rim - not to mention the free throw line.

sweabs
09-28-2006, 12:10 PM
a

Isaac
09-28-2006, 12:52 PM
I agree with rcarey when it comes to Tinsley scoring more. However, we have to have him on a short leash because bbal is 100% correct about the one on one challenges he gets himself in to. After he came back from his injury last year he was absolutely terrible with the exception of 2 or 3 games. (The Sacramento game where he basically won by himself in the 4th quarter comes to mind)

But again, as I talked about in my post about the frontline, we have to exploit matchups when they are there and cut our losses when they aren't. When we play teams like Sacramento, Toronto and Seatlle (team's that have bad point guard defense) we have to let Tinsley take advantage of that and penetrate. When Tinsley is focused, and he can penetrate, we are an outstanding team.

TheDon
09-28-2006, 01:13 PM
I hope we go very deep as in ECF deep into the playoffs the Nets are the one team in the NBA that can go from greatness to suck in 0.6 seconds and had our morale/motivation to win been any greater we would have won that series, but for the sake of getting into the shoulda woulda coulda's I'll leave that one at rest. I am not too worried about Sarunas filling the void if need be when and if tinsley get injured during the season. When we let him get starters minutes one of the writers on the Indianapolis Star showed he averaged close to 6 assists and 13 points a game i'm happy with that, and with the team and the system we're trying to switch into I would expect those numbers to go up and have a better season.

imawhat
09-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Tinsley can't shoot.

I'd say 42% at 15 ppg at his position is pretty good, though his shot selection could be better.

McKeyFan
09-28-2006, 01:48 PM
I'd say 42% at 15 ppg at his position is pretty good, though his shot selection could be better.

Tinsley is a great scorer and shot maker. He can't shoot from the outside very well.

The shooting percentage doesn't surprise me because many of his shots are nifty, creative things from 1 to 10 feet.

He's lovely during the regular season and the first three quarters of the playoffs (except that his offense uses 2 players at most, but that's another thread).

But when crunch time comes, the defense simply lags back and lets him shoot it. He misses. We lose.

This, along with the 2-player offense problem, is why I have wanted Tins gone for several years now. For me, it's never been about injuries, pouting, attitude, or one-on-one ballin. If Jamaal has great health and attitude, I still don't like him for our team. He would do well on the West Coast.

ABADays
09-28-2006, 02:06 PM
McKeyFan & ABA,

I realize he is not the best shooter on our team by any means. When I talk about him assuming more of a scoring role on our team I would hope that it's not coming from long distance shooting. Instead, I would like to see Carlisle draw up some plays for Tinsley to use his creativity when he drives into the lane and go strong to the hoop. I think if we were to give him that trust, he wouldn't feel uncomfortable in doing it anymore to the point where he is afraid of what Rick will think...and more importantly, keep him from hoisting up long-range shots. It is all a confidence/trust issue between Rick and Jamaal if this thing is to work.

As beast pointed out, Rick is capable of trusting his PG. Look at what he did with Chauncey when he was in Detroit...he was their primary scorer. The problem is that Chauncey is a good shooter, and Tinsley is not. It would actually be interesting to draw comparisons between how AJ was used last year to the utilization of Billups when Rick was coaching in Detroit.

Therein lies another problem - if he gets into the paint he's probably going to get hurt . . . or suffer a sinus infection.

NorCal_Pacerfan
09-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Sigh

Dr. Goldfoot
09-28-2006, 05:44 PM
In '03-'04 he shot .372 & in '04-'05 he shot .372 from beyond the arc.
In the playoffs '02-'03 .615
'03-'04 .296
'04-'05 .372.

Tinsley three point shot has come a long way since his first two seasons. Last year he shot poorly but didn't take nearly as many as the two previous years.

lumber man
09-28-2006, 09:12 PM
SighSigh.