PDA

View Full Version : Source: Wells agrees to two-year deal with Rockets (ESPN.com)

RoboHicks
09-28-2006, 12:30 AM
A source close to Bonzi Wells tells ESPN the Magazine's Ric Bucher that Wells has agreed to a two-year, $5 million deal with the Rockets. The deal includes a player opt-out after the first year.

More... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2605639&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines)

sweabs
09-28-2006, 12:36 AM
In my opinion, there were a few teams out there where it actually made sense to take a gamble on a guy like Bonzi. Houston was at the top of that list. He should really help them out this season.

Naptown_Seth
09-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Wow, Bonzi got 8-balled on the FA market but made the best of it with a 1 year opt out. Houston is a good fit for him and allows him to showcase his talent without being "the man", ie the man who gets the blame if the team stinks again. TMac and Yao will get the blame on most failures and any improvement from last year will fall more on Bonzi's shoulders than he will probably be responsible for.

If healthy they have to be a serious contender for at least the 2nd round and perhaps the West title.

Frank Slade
09-28-2006, 12:44 AM
2.5 mil a year ? certainly a pay cut. Sometimes players need to just take the initial offer before pricing themselves out of the market, although sometimes the gamble does pay off.

If he keeps his act together next year, Houston will have added a legitimate piece to the puzzle for bargain basement money. I guess will see, it's always nicer to see how it plays out when it's not your team :eyebrow:

Isaac
09-28-2006, 01:40 AM
I really don't think he fills much of a need in Houston. They just traded for Shane Battier, and what they really lack is outside shooting. The position they needed help at was Power Forward, I actually think Melvin Ely would have been a better fit for the team then Bonzi.

But I guess you can never have too much depth at the wing positions. :shrug:

Will Galen
09-28-2006, 03:16 AM
I really don't think he fills much of a need in Houston. They just traded for Shane Battier, and what they really lack is outside shooting. The position they needed help at was Power Forward, I actually think Melvin Ely would have been a better fit for the team then Bonzi.

But I guess you can never have too much depth at the wing positions. :shrug:

Maybe a hedge against McGrady being injured. Somewhat like us with Harrington being able to play JO's position.

Hicks
09-28-2006, 06:43 AM
So will they start a 2/3 of Bonzi/T-Mac or T-Mac/Battier

Slick Pinkham
09-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Houston fans at their web site clutch city have been talking about Battier getting a lot of minutes at PF.

Sounds goofy I know, but looking at their roster, at 6'8/220 he is the only logical PF behind Howard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/roster?team=hou

skyfire
09-28-2006, 09:05 AM
They could do worse than playing Battier at PF, they havn't really had anything decent at PF for the last couple of seasons so I guess that would be a step up.

They still dont have the enforcer to play next to Yao at PF, but Wells, TMac and Battier are all capable rebounders.

Alston
Wells
TMac
Battier
Yao

with Head, Snyder, Spanoulis, Howard and Mutumbo on the bench. Its a definite upgrade on last seasons team. If Tmac stays healthy and Yao picks up where he left off last season they'd have to a good chance to the biggest improvers in the West.

SoupIsGood
09-28-2006, 09:55 AM
I could see Mac/Wells/Battier/Yao working. They have suck PGs tho

Isaac
09-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Houston would definitley suffer if Yao had to take that much of a load in the interior defense. Juwan Howard is nowhere near where he used to be as far as defending the post, in fact last year he was downright awful. Everyone is talking about Battier playing the 4 which might work on the offensive side, but it won't work defensively.

Yao cannot take that type of a pounding in the middle night in and night out and still be expected to put up 22 and 11.

LoneGranger33
09-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Don't forget John Lucas III who I believe was signed only because he looks kind of like Chris Paul...

Well, you be the judge:
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/john_iii_lucas/index.html
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_paul/index.html

bulldog
09-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Suns (healthy Amare) > Mavs > Spurs > Rockets > Suns (not recovered Amare).

Those teams are the 4 contenders out West.

Anthem
09-28-2006, 02:02 PM
They should put together a package for Jeff Foster. He'd be a perfect backup for them.

Isaac
09-28-2006, 03:25 PM
They should put together a package for Jeff Foster. He'd be a perfect backup for them.

Jeff Foster for McGrady. :)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't send them Foster. They have no bigs to send back that I would want, and if we trade Foster without getting a big in return our frontcourt is extremely shallow and poor rebounding wise.

JayRedd
09-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I could see Mac/Wells/Battier/Yao working. They have suck PGs tho

I liked Rafer for them last year. And while not to be confused with PGs Luther Head and Bob Sura are both fine for Van Gundy to put out there given how much McGrady handles the ball anyway.

Starting to like this roster now actually...You got Yao/TMac and now Bonzi for a third scorer. Then it's just a bunch of lunch-pail guys that will (hopefully) follow Battier/Head's lead with their unselfishness and hustle. Juwan is a pro's pro and Mutumbo is probably the best 50-year-old to ever play in the NBA (no offense to Robert Parrish). Plus, don't forget the prolific Ryan Bowen.

Good off-season.

JayRedd
09-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Suns (healthy Amare) > Mavs > Spurs > Rockets > Suns (not recovered Amare).

Those teams are the 4 contenders out West.

Don't forget the Clipp show

Isaac
09-29-2006, 10:43 AM
The Clippers will be far better then the Rockets this season.

Kegboy
09-29-2006, 11:46 AM
I hope this doesn't blow up on them. Houston always seems to be on shaky ground when it comes to chemistry. I wonder how Battier feels about playing with Bonzi again.

spreedom
09-29-2006, 06:32 PM
With or without a healthy Amare (because let's face it.. he'll NEVER be the same) the Suns are NOT better than the Mavericks. No defense means no Finals.. period.

spreedom
09-30-2006, 01:18 AM
BTW, I hate Wells. Not so much his game (although I don't think he's a piece to a championship puzzle, regardless of his supporting cast) but his attitude and blatant disregard for public and competitive decency. I can't count on one hand how many times I heard him call Wally Szczerbiak a "honkey" during a Grizz/Wolves game I had courtside seats to a few years ago. He's just a brutal racist and I'm glad the Pacers wanted nothing to do with him at any price.

Brian
09-30-2006, 01:27 PM
BTW, I hate Wells. Not so much his game (although I don't think he's a piece to a championship puzzle, regardless of his supporting cast) but his attitude and blatant disregard for public and competitive decency. I can't count on one hand how many times I heard him call Wally Szczerbiak a "honkey" during a Grizz/Wolves game I had courtside seats to a few years ago. He's just a brutal racist and I'm glad the Pacers wanted nothing to do with him at any price.

Probably called him that because of the car wally drove to the game that night;

http://www.historicautoattractions.com/Images/goodvacationset.jpg

Calgary Jazz
10-02-2006, 07:57 AM

Agree, he is stupid racist, once playing for Blazers he said he will kill old gimpy Hornacek.
And no way Houston will be a contender, I do not see them even making playoffs. I think from last year lottery teams Jazz and Hornets will make it instead of Memphis and Lakers.

Eindar
10-02-2006, 09:39 AM

Really? You think Foster would be a backup? I see him as the starting PF on that team. I think at one time, Howard was the better player, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe they'd platoon them depending on the size of the post player they were playing against. Howard for bigger guys, Foster for smaller guys.

What I've found really shocking is that a team out West hasn't overpaid via trade for his services. He defends Tim Duncan very well, and seems to do pretty well against Garnett and Nowitzki also. Maybe DW is asking for a young big and a 1st for Foster, though, so who knows. :D

Skaut_Ech
10-02-2006, 01:12 PM
http://www.zweg.com/dump/photo/BabyJesusCry.jpg

Slick Pinkham
10-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Skaut, I thought about cutting and pasting your long list of Bonzi's past transgressions over at clutch city, the Rockets forum, but I decided to let them continue to think that they have gotten a steal.

Eindar
10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Skaut, I thought about cutting and pasting your long list of Bonzi's past transgressions over at clutch city, the Rockets forum, but I decided to let them continue to think that they have gotten a steal.

That's the thing. At the price they're paying, they have gotten a steal.

Slick Pinkham
10-02-2006, 02:15 PM
That's the thing. At the price they're paying, they have gotten a steal.

Maybe so, since he is playing for a contract.

But Memphis was paying him anyway a few years back, and they decided they would be better off without him than with him, for the PLAYOFFS, no less.

There is an undeniable danger that adding him at ANY PRICE is subtraction by addition, if you get a bad attitude that can rub off on other players.

Treewoman
10-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Although Bonzi has had a troubled past without a doubt - he really was on his best behavior out here in CA - he showed terrific enthusiasm, team spirit and drive. I wish they'd kept him as a King for at least another year.

But kind of like Ron - I agree Bonzi is a wild card - you just never know.