PDA

View Full Version : Do Pacers Have Model For New System? {Pacers.com 9.27.06}

Frank Slade
09-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Do Pacers Have Model For New System?

Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2006

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. Is there a model, or mix of models that we can see used by other teams that we plan to move towards with our offense? I am trying to envision how the Pacers plan to play and compare that with the style and personnel that other teams have employed successfully. Do any comparisons come to mind? (From Alan in San Diego)

A. These are particularly tough questions for a couple of reasons. For one, the offense hasn't been implemented yet and it's difficult for me to project exactly how it will look, let alone how it will compare with other teams. For another, the league-wide trend toward more fluid offense is just beginning to turn and there still aren't that many teams committed to the idea with which to compare.

Though new, the trend is definite and was reinforced by last year's NBA Finals. Miami ranked third in the East in points per game; Dallas was fifth in the West. Of the NB A's top 10 scoring teams, seven had winning records, including the Heat and Mavericks. Of the NBA's bottom team scoring teams, just three had winning records (the Pacers were 23rd). So the trend around the league is leaning toward the offense.

It's important to be realistic about what to expect from the Pacers, however. This is not going to be Pacers Gone Wild. The idea is not to become a team like Phoenix that runs at will regardless of circumstance.

The idea is to be a team capable of playing both halfcourt and fullcourt styles, offensively and defensively. Because of their added length and athleticism on the perimeter, the Pacers should be able to play a much more aggressive style of defense that will be necessary to fuel the offense.

Offensive trends have come and gone throughout the history of the NBA, but the importance of defense has never wavered.

As best I can determine, the Pacers will rely less on the 3-point shot and more on the mid-range jumper and they will have more players able to create shots either for themselves or teammates both in primary and secondary transition games.

They also will have strong post play, which is the key to being able to be productive in the halfcourt game when the opportunity to run isn't there. It's going to take some time for the players to adapt but the result should be a more interesting and ultimately more productive style – at both ends of the floor

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060927.html)

sportsmusicxboxpacer
09-27-2006, 03:44 PM
means low scoreing games to me- with better focus on defense...

aero
09-27-2006, 05:55 PM
sounds like a mixture of teams

Offense - Phoenix/Dallas
Defense - Detroit-ish but with athletic/speed

if that makes any sense lol

Isaac
09-27-2006, 05:59 PM
sounds like a mixture of teams

Offense - Phoenix/Dallas
Defense - Detroit-ish but with athletic/speed

if that makes any sense lol

Awesome, we better not lose any games then.

aero
09-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Awesome, we better not lose any games then.

well we are bound to lose some games, alot of the guys havent played together before so its going to take them some time to get used to each other on and off the court, also having 13 of the first 19 games on the road doesnt help. :(

Unclebuck
09-28-2006, 12:06 AM
The idea is to be a team capable of playing both halfcourt and fullcourt styles, offensively and defensively. Because of their added length and athleticism on the perimeter, the Pacers should be able to play a much more aggressive style of defense that will be necessary to fuel the offense. [/B]

As best I can determine, the Pacers will rely less on the 3-point shot and more on the mid-range jumper and they will have more players able to create shots either for themselves or teammates both in primary and secondary transition games.

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060927.html)

I really hope that is exactly what happens

Eindar
09-28-2006, 12:07 AM
I think our offense will be similar to Dallas', based on that report.

Naptown_Seth
09-28-2006, 12:24 AM
As best I can determine, the Pacers will rely less on the 3-point shot and more on the mid-range jumper
Thank freaking god if this turns out to be true.

Running off to the high-risk, high-reward 3 ball when things went south was one of the team's worst problems the last 2 seasons. Early in the 4th if they sensed the slightest gap coming on they'd start tossing up threes. And as they missed and saw long rebounds turn into quick points they other way they'd chase after the quick catchup more and more and dig themselves deeper and deeper.

It happened very regularly and always at the end of the 3rd and start of the 4th.

Isaac
09-28-2006, 10:20 AM
well we are bound to lose some games, alot of the guys havent played together before so its going to take them some time to get used to each other on and off the court, also having 13 of the first 19 games on the road doesnt help. :(

I was just making a joke because you said our style would combine the two best offensive teams from the last 5 years, and the best defensive team from the last 5 years.

pacers31tc
09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
It's important to be realistic about what to expect from the Pacers, however. This is not going to be Pacers Gone Wild.

This is my favorite part. It's also not going to be Isiah's "Quick" offense all over again... maybe we'll get to see that crash and burn in NY though.