PDA

View Full Version : Camp Countdown:Small Forwards {Pacers.com}

Frank Slade
09-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Camp Countdown:Small Forwards
http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/camp_small_forwards_2006.jpg
Danny Granger (left) and Al Harrington offer the coaching staff two distinct options at small forward.

INCUMBENT

This is the only position without a returning starter but it nevertheless is in good hands. Danny Granger showed enough as a rookie to give management confidence he could step into a prime-time role in his second season. Granger averaged 10.3 points and 6.7 rebounds in 17 starts last season, numbers that are bound to increase. He has a wide range of skills and is a particularly good rebounder, defender and mid-range shooter. Granger is working to add 3-point range, which would only serve to amplify is already noisy game. Though he's the most likely starter, he isn't the only possibility.

CHALLENGERS

Offensively, Al Harrington can play any of the three frontcourt positions because of his combination of mid-range shooting and post-up ability. Defensively, he generally matches up better with small forwards, although he does have the size and strength to contend with many power forwards. When the Pacers go with a big lineup with Jeff Foster or David Harrison at center, Harrington could shift to small forward. That would mean Granger wouldn't start on those occasions but, regardless, the gifted second-year forward will play – and probably finish.

Both rookies may well start out as small forwards but evolve elsewhere. At 6-9, Shawne Williams has the long-range shooting ability to help until he develops enough strength and experience to move over to power forward. At 6-7, James White is a much more angular, slashing player with a nose for defense. Marquis Daniels and Stephen Jackson also will be able to help here, as needed.

BOTTOM LINE

In many ways, this position will define the personality of the team. If Granger's the man, the Pacers will have a much leaner, more athletic look on the floor that could signal a more aggressive approach. If Harrington winds up as the three, the Pacers will be much bigger and stronger, with the ability to draw defenses inside because of their post-up skills.

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/camp_countdown_sf_060927.html)

So this makes two recent articles in which Bruno alludes to Harrington possibly playing the 5 spot at times, or at least on one side of the floor.

Putnam
09-27-2006, 02:29 PM
This was another great column by Bruno. I especially like the part where he mentions:

...the ability to draw defenses inside because of their post-up skills.

I had thought that defenses collapsing on Jermaine was a problem that had hurt us in the past. But evidently we're trying to draw them into the paint.

Is this a good thing?

aero
09-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Danny should be the starter, the kid had a really good rookie season. Im sure everyone has heard this before but he reminds me alot of Scottie Pippen but i fell he could be better, work on his D a little more and his outside shooting and he will rule all :D

AesopRockOn
09-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Since the SF position is so stacked, I think what is important is which of these guys can switch over to PF to make the team a little quicker especially if Tinsley is healthy; not sure Shawne's going to get much time. Bruno is definitely a great preseason read.

Naptown_Seth
09-27-2006, 10:57 PM
This was another great column by Bruno. I especially like the part where he mentions:

I had thought that defenses collapsing on Jermaine was a problem that had hurt us in the past. But evidently we're trying to draw them into the paint.

Is this a good thing?
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. Yes JO and Al are strong post threats, but JO works well off the high post/elbow and seems to enjoy it. He also sees more passing opportunities for scores from that position, whereas his kickouts from the low post often go nowhere.

Now if they are using the low post to work cutters into the lane, that's different. That is more like the type of movement I think of when I hear uptempo, along with taking more looks at early offense out of transition.

I'm pretty up on the team as is, but not quite confident of them as a true contender. For me it's more like a big maybe, and the main reason is that there are so many hard to define dynamics at positions like SF and PG.

It should make for one of the most interesting camps in a long time.