PDA

View Full Version : Wizards send top pick Pecherov back to Europe (ESPN.com)

RoboHicks
09-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Oleksiy Pecherov, whom the Wizards drafted 18th, will play in Europe this year, Washington president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld said Tuesday.

More... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2604578&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines)

bulldog
09-27-2006, 11:58 AM
How's this for an idea?

NBA teams set up affiliates with European teams. The NBDL is by its nature too full of guys gunning for NBA spots and not playing real ball, and it seems like such an advantage that any Euro kid who's not ready for the show can go back to Europe, and get some PT against very good competition in a structured, NBA-like environment. NBA teams could set up private agreements with a medium-level Euro club (to ensure the guy gets PT), send a coach or two over there to keep an eye on their boys, and let young guys mature and become more experienced. And it would promote the NBA in Europe.

Just like with everything in the NBA, it won't get through cause of the CBA and stuff like that, but I think it would be a good idea.

Seed
09-27-2006, 02:29 PM
How's this for an idea?

NBA teams set up affiliates with European teams. The NBDL is by its nature too full of guys gunning for NBA spots and not playing real ball, and it seems like such an advantage that any Euro kid who's not ready for the show can go back to Europe, and get some PT against very good competition in a structured, NBA-like environment. NBA teams could set up private agreements with a medium-level Euro club (to ensure the guy gets PT), send a coach or two over there to keep an eye on their boys, and let young guys mature and become more experienced. And it would promote the NBA in Europe.

Just like with everything in the NBA, it won't get through cause of the CBA and stuff like that, but I think it would be a good idea.

Interesting idea. I see pros and cons.
Pros -
1. Would test & improve the players in a true competitive environment
2. Would promote NBA - Euroleague relations, like you say.
Cons -
1. The players will have to adapt to a different game style than the NBA, CBA, NBDL. For some of them this might be difficult, frustrating and might hurt their PT in short term.
2. Its harder to bail out of a contract in the middle of the Euroleague season in case a spot opens up in the NBA. Euroleague teams will not like the idea.
3. It will make it a littler harder for scouts to monitor the players.

tdubb03
09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
I like that idea Bulldog. But imagine if you're fresh outta college, get drafted, and next thing you know you're balling in Luxembourg, thousands of miles from family and friends. That'd suck.

Robertmto
09-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Great move by the Wiz and I expected this to happen. With the departue of JJ many ppl thot that OP was a lock to make the team, I however did not. We signed DeShawn Stevenson to play his role. And with the amazing SL play from Blatch (who can play both forward spots AND center) and us keeping PJ Ramos I didn't see us finding a role for OP.

He will be here next year and will hopefully be a better player and more ready to play in the NBA.