PDA

View Full Version : Are More Moves Likely In Near Future? {Pacers.com 9.25.06}

Frank Slade
09-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Are More Moves Likely In Near Future?

Monday, Sept. 25, 2006

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. Earlier, it was reported that the Pacers were not yet done wheeling and dealing before the start of the season, especially given the fact they already have more players signed than the maximum of 15 they can have on the official roster by the time the 2006-07 season opens.

With all of the changes in personnel, do you anticipate any significant moves being made before the start of the season begins or will they more than likely just cut players or trade them for draft picks if they don't work out in camp? With a short period of time that training camp will provide for new players and a new style to be implemented, wouldn't it make more sense to try and stabilize the roster as quickly as possible, or will they try to change and possibly upgrade even more knowing that this team won't like come together until later in the season? (From B.J. in Sullivan, Ind.)

A. Typically, the closer a team gets to training camp, the less likely a deal becomes. Though this has been anything but a typical summer for the Pacers, I suspect that is the case. Having made the numerous moves that have brought 11 new faces onto a roster that currently stands at 18 names, the time has come to see exactly how everything fits together. The players also need some time to learn one another both from a personal and professional standpoint so that the necessary bonding can take place. Combine all of that newness with the implementation of a different offensive system, and you can see why training camp and the preseason will be exceptionally important for the players and coaches.

From a need standpoint, there are a couple of areas Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird would like to address. Another big body would help, and 3-point shooting is an area of high priority.

But as it stands the Pacers are pretty well-stocked at the two post positions with Jeff Foster, David Harrison and John Edwards at center and Jermaine O'Neal, Maceo Baston, Al Harrington, Josh Powell and ultimately Shawne Williams at power forward.

As for 3-point shooting, there's less certainty beyond Sarunas Jasikevicius but guys like Danny Granger, Williams and Snap Hunter could help fill the void.

If another significant move is to be made, it seems much more likely it would come during the February pre-trade-deadline period. By then, the front office and coaching staff will have had time to sort through the new players in order to better establish the Pacers' true strengths and ultimate needs.

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_060925.html)

AesopRockOn
09-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Just cut some people; we definitely cannot have five point guards on the team. If we cut a halfway decent deal for a backup C, this was the best summer ever ;). He has a lot of faith in Saras which is strange. No more moves till camp; focus on getting the new guys acclimated to the system of Pacer basketball.

Alpolloloco
09-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Just cut some people; we definitely cannot have five point guards on the team. If we cut a halfway decent deal for a backup C, this was the best summer ever ;). He has a lot of faith in Saras which is strange.

Maybe to you it's strange but most Pacer fans have a lot of faith in Sarunas. You're one of the very few who hasn't. and for what reason I may ask?

Jermaniac
09-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Maybe to you it's strange but most Pacer fans have a lot of faith in Sarunas. You're one of the very few who hasn't. and for what reason I may ask?
He doesnt have faith in him because Saras is bad at basketball. He had a whole season to play last year and he proved nothing. Dont be suprised if by the 10-15th game Queezey is backing up Tins.

bulldog
09-25-2006, 02:48 PM
He doesnt have faith in him because Saras is bad at basketball. He had a whole season to play last year and he proved nothing. Dont be suprised if by the 10-15th game Queezey is backing up Tins.

And don't be surprised if by the 10-15th game Queezy is backing up Saras, while Tins sits on the bench injured or pouting.

Each scenario is as likely as the other. I'm still a little miffed that we traded our lone dependable PG and kept two question marks (Saras and Tins), and our lone back-up plan is a SG/SF who can play some point but hasn't cracked a rotation in the last 2 years.

Beowulfas
09-25-2006, 03:02 PM

What did JO prove last season?
That he isn't clutch and is injury-prone?

Slick Pinkham
09-25-2006, 03:17 PM
...our lone back-up plan is a SG/SF who can play some point but hasn't cracked a rotation in the last 2 years.

It is more than a little deceptive to say that Quis hasn't been in the rotation for 2 years.

He did fail to crack the tightened PLAYOFF rotation this year, but he played in almost 80% of the Mavs regular season games this year (62 games, 29 starts) and averaged 28.4 min/g, which is more minutes per game than AJ, by the way. He has more starts in his 3-year career than AJ had combined in the 7 years immediately before last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?statsId=3764

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?statsId=3207

JayRedd
09-25-2006, 04:00 PM
I personally like the idea of keeping as many of these guys as we can for as long as we can. If we have like 8 guys all fighting for the last 5 spots, that can only bring a lot of energy, competitiveness and fire to practice. It's like a bunch of JV kids trying out for the varsity squad. Because let's face it, a lot of these dudes are pretty JV.

But hopefully a spirit of competitiveness will permeate it's way up to the top and JO/Al/Granger/Harrison/Foster/Tinsley and all the other guys with defined roles will be affected by the young'ns and cast-offs.

bulldog
09-25-2006, 04:05 PM
It is more than a little deceptive to say that Quis hasn't been in the rotation for 2 years.

He did fail to crack the tightened PLAYOFF rotation this year, but he played in almost 80% of the Mavs regular season games this year (62 games, 29 starts) and averaged 28.4 min/g, which is more minutes per game than AJ, by the way. He has more starts in his 3-year career than AJ had combined in the 7 years immediately before last season.

Fine, fine, you got me. Still, is he a PG? I doubt it, who knows.

Jermaniac
09-25-2006, 07:46 PM
And don't be surprised if by the 10-15th game Queezy is backing up Saras, while Tins sits on the bench injured or pouting.

Each scenario is as likely as the other. I'm still a little miffed that we traded our lone dependable PG and kept two question marks (Saras and Tins), and our lone back-up plan is a SG/SF who can play some point but hasn't cracked a rotation in the last 2 years.Nah, Al is back, we are running a new offense. Tins is good.

Better luck next time.

What did JO prove last season?
That he isn't clutch and is injury-prone?

I dont even know this dude, so I'm gonna pass on this post.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
09-25-2006, 09:46 PM
I really don't understand how absolutely everyone is ignoring the big huge gaping weakness at PG. Does everyone have their head buried in the sand or what??

Tinsley is not going to stay healthy/happy, and then we got Saras and a few guys that couldn't even play in the NBA last year. Yeah I don't see how anyone with a brain in their skull thinks this is gonna work out....

EDIT: Whats more frustrating is the so called areas that everyone thinks we need to improve in are another big man and 3 pt shooting. Those don't even compare in the least little bit to the importance of good play from the PG position. And like he even said, we already have enough post players so why anyone is asking for another big is beyond me.

Heads in the sand....

JayRedd
09-25-2006, 10:54 PM
I really don't understand how absolutely everyone is ignoring the big huge gaping weakness at PG. Does everyone have their head buried in the sand or what??

Tinsley is not going to stay healthy/happy, and then we got Saras and a few guys that couldn't even play in the NBA last year. Yeah I don't see how anyone with a brain in their skull thinks this is gonna work out....

EDIT: Whats more frustrating is the so called areas that everyone thinks we need to improve in are another big man and 3 pt shooting. Those don't even compare in the least little bit to the importance of good play from the PG position. And like he even said, we already have enough post players so why anyone is asking for another big is beyond me.

Heads in the sand....

You're not a Darrell Armstrong believer?

But yeah.....I agree. It seems as though a bunch of people are considering Quis or "never-played-a-minute-in-the-league-or-hardly-any-PG-anywhere" James White as legit options at the point. I don't see it.

ChicagoJ
09-25-2006, 11:12 PM
We only have one legit option at point, until we can do something different roster wise (other than sign overhyped, overwhelmed backups) we have to hold our collective breath and hope he stays healthy and happy.

This team still needs to improve in the backcourt, which has had far worse professionalism/ chemistry than our (now overhauled) frontcourt ever had.

Unclebuck
09-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Pacers point guard position is probably the worst of any team that has a chance of making the playoffs.

aero
09-25-2006, 11:19 PM
i wish people would get off Sarus's back...sure he had a lackluster rookie nba season but man...everyone seems to want to send out the lynch mob on the guy. give him a chance!

Eindar
09-25-2006, 11:43 PM
i wish people would get off Sarus's back...sure he had a lackluster rookie nba season but man...everyone seems to want to send out the lynch mob on the guy. give him a chance!

I'd say it's more accurate that he had a lackluster 3 months after the all-star break. If he can play like he did the first couple months for an entire season, we'll be in good shape.

AesopRockOn
09-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I am definitely ready and willing to give Saras his chance and we can't have a great idea about what is going to happen with him and the rest of the players at least till we get some training camp reports. We are just accepting Saras for what he is (see thunderbird's thread about Saras). The problem is that too much of our success is bent on Tinsley staying healthy and/or some backup stepping up in ways that they may not be used to. I am going to support and cheer for Saras to the fullest extent but having faith is a different thing; I am hoping for some change and alterations in his game from last season. Thanks for the nice words though. Just to let you know, first and foremost, I am a Pacers (singular) fan.

bulldog
09-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Nah, Al is back, we are running a new offense. Tins is good.

Non sequitur much? What does that even mean?
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Putnam
09-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Nearly every season, there are question marks. Sometimes, they are very apparent, and sometimes not. In season's past, we've started with questions about Smits' feet, Ron's attitude, Best's leadership and Isaiah's "quick" offense. There is always something looming. Sometimes, you don't even know what the issue is going to be, and it comes out of nowhere.

But there is always something. There is a weak link to every chain. You just have to cope and look for options. TPTB have decided to take the chance with the players they've got. One of four things will happen:

1. Tinsley and Sarunas will perform better than expected.
2. A trade to strengthen the point guard will be made mid-season.
3. Greene or Armstrong or Hunter will blossom.
4. The Pacers will lose a lot of games.

Let's play the games and find out which one it is.

Unclebuck
09-26-2006, 08:46 AM

You know you are correct. I haven't been posting much about the Pacers in the past 6 weeks or so, because I want to give each of the players a clean slate going into training camp and preseason. So I'll wipe the slate clean and let's see how Saras and others do in a few weeks

Major Cold
09-26-2006, 11:29 AM
I believe that many like Saras because of his past successes. The problem with Saras is that Rick has shown that he does not have faith in European players (Peja, Okur, Saras). Whether their style of play does not match his coaching scheme or his inability to coach them, there is an issue there. Carisle identifies with defensive players (AJ, Curry) that will work in his system. Now the system is changed (supposively). Not only do we have to incorporate Saras in a new system but we have to incorporate the already existing players. And then throw in Al, Daniels, Shawne, White, Armstrong, Snap, and company. This training camp may be the most important in recent years. Chemistry with personalities is one thing. Chemistry with a new system and new players adds more obstacles. This season will determine how good our coach really is. The reason coaches like Riley and Jackson are good because they establish individual players an indentity on the team.

Saras has none. With Al here, what role does Granger play? If he is the starter does that change JO's role? Where does Foster come into the mix? What role does Daniel's fill?

There are more ? marks than that. Especially when you factor the annual injuries. This season concerns me. If we are a contender we have to answer some questions. And if those questions remain unanswered, we will have a new coach.

Bball
09-26-2006, 11:30 AM
You know you are correct. I haven't been posting much about the Pacers in the past 6 weeks or so, because I want to give each of the players a clean slate going into training camp and preseason. So I'll wipe the slate clean and let's see how Saras and others do in a few weeks

Might as well try I guess... it seems TPTB have done so.

That said, nothing would excite me more than to see Tinsley get moved. He's had enough chances for me.

-Bball

Jermaniac
09-26-2006, 02:53 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:You a tator tot *** dude, go backflip into a pool of that's one step too far - Jay.

naptown
09-26-2006, 06:00 PM
I know Sarunas is not the most athletic person in the world, but I still dont see why so many people are soooooooooo down on him. He was a ROOKIE after all.

Kobe rookie stats: 7.6 points, 1.9 rebounds, 1.3 assists
Saras rookie stats: 7.3 points, 2.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists

Now back off the man and give him an honest chance to prove himself.

He could be the next Kobe Bryant......

vapacersfan
09-26-2006, 06:35 PM
I know Sarunas is not the most athletic person in the world, but I still dont see why so many people are soooooooooo down on him. He was a ROOKIE after all.

Kobe rookie stats: 7.6 points, 1.9 rebounds, 1.3 assists
Saras rookie stats: 7.3 points, 2.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists

Now back off the man and give him an honest chance to prove himself.

He could be the next Kobe Bryant......

Ecept there is one HUGE difference.

How old was Kobe when he was a rookie? Now compare that to Saras when he was a rookie.

bulldog
09-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Thank you Jay for the clean-up. I'm not sure whether to be offended by the first part of the statement as I can't really understand it. Oh well.

I'm also gonna join the "let's give Saras another chance bandwagon." Of course, I'm hardly as forgiving of Tins, but he's had quite a few chances at this point.

When's the season start? It's been a while since we've had so many questions about our team and players in the air like this and I'd like to see them answered.

naptown
09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
I dont care how old you are. Nothing can prepare you for playing in the NBA other than playing in the NBA. And it aint like he walked into an ideal situation. This whole team was fried last year.

Saras will be much improved this year. Particularly offensively. The guy is a heady player, plays hard and has heart. I know his athleticism is lacking and that will always hamper him, but he is going to be a very good bench player for us this year. That is all he was brought here for in the first place.

vapacersfan
09-26-2006, 07:22 PM
I dont care how old you are. Nothing can prepare you for playing in the NBA other than playing in the NBA. And it aint like he walked into an ideal situation. This whole team was fried last year.

Well then you missed the WHOLE point. Ignoring the fact it is crazy to compare the two, Kobe had a whole lot of time to "get acquainted" with the NBA, in the time it took Kobe to get comfortable Saras will be gone.

Saras will be much improved this year. Particularly offensively. The guy is a heady player, plays hard and has heart. I know his athleticism is lacking and that will always hamper him, but he is going to be a very good bench player for us this year. That is all he was brought here for in the first place.

He better be much improved. There is no way we can have a player playing the point that cant even get the rock up the court without 2 picks each possesion

pizza guy
09-26-2006, 07:56 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

QFT

As for Sarunas, I can't wait for this season to start to see what he's got. I've been on his bandwagon since we signed him. I liked him last year, even through his rather disappointing times. I think he can be a very big part of this team,

Of course, IF Sarunas does figure it out, we've still got to worry about Tinsley's health. So, I'm not as confident in our PGs as other positions, but I'll give 'em a shot this season.

Trader Joe
09-26-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm not gonna say Sarunas is useless, trash, etc. etc. but he does need to prove himself this year, but hell so does half the current roster. Bottom line to me is this, If Tinsley is happy and healthy and IF Sarunas can find his jumper and not fatigue like he appeared to last season our PG rotation becomes much more stable and arguably damn good. If those two IFs happen and one of White or QUis can prove capable of logging thrid string point minutes we look like an easy 50 win team to me.

bulldog
09-26-2006, 09:35 PM
...he does need to prove himself this year, but hell so does half the current roster. ...

DING DING DING we have a winner.

BoomBaby33
09-26-2006, 09:59 PM
I personally like the idea of keeping as many of these guys as we can for as long as we can. If we have like 8 guys all fighting for the last 5 spots, that can only bring a lot of energy, competitiveness and fire to practice. It's like a bunch of JV kids trying out for the varsity squad. Because let's face it, a lot of these dudes are pretty JV.

But hopefully a spirit of competitiveness will permeate it's way up to the top and JO/Al/Granger/Harrison/Foster/Tinsley and all the other guys with defined roles will be affected by the young'ns and cast-offs.

My thoughts exactly, then hopefully they can make a trade at the 15 player deadline and pick up a couple second rounders.

I really think the competetion thing in camp is what TPTB really have been aiming for - not that these guys are all JV, but lets see who cares the most this year, who wants to compete the most this year. This creates a BLUE collar mentality amongst all the players, versus going through the motions and not caring at camp. This is a way to get some of the tinsleys, jacksons, harrisons, and even sarases on the team to re-focus.

I cant wait!!!

naptown
09-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Ignoring the fact it is crazy to compare the two....

Lmao..... of course it is crazy to compare the two. Absurd even. Just like I feel it is completely absurd to define a player after their rookie year.

IndyFan032589
09-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Now that Pollard is gone Edwards is the only player I wouldn't mind seeing gone

Lord Helmet
09-26-2006, 11:58 PM
That whole last season as a lot seem to forget was his rookie year, yes he was hyped but he still was a rookie.

I'm willing to give him another chance, and if he does play like he did during the second half of the season then I'll be ready to give up on him.

I just hope for the Pacers sake all of our PG's can stay healthy and produce. In the end I really don't care who's starting as long as both PG's are playing decently, I mean Tinsley and Sarunas, that could be a deadly combo. If Sarunas can keep up with the NBA schedule and such and Tinsley can play his game and stay on the court.

Let's hope for the best. :thumbsup:

Lord Helmet
09-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Now that Pollard is gone Edwards is the only player I wouldn't mind seeing gone
You wanted Pollard gone?

Damn, I'd love to have him back and Mr. Worthless, John Edwards gone.

IndyFan032589
09-27-2006, 12:32 PM
I can't stand Pollard, he is just a roster filler, he's never proven anything but 6 PPG and I can't figure out why he was making 7mil with us, nobody I know likes Pollard

3rdStrike
09-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Sarunas is an enigma to me. I'm really hoping he can be the star PG Bird saw in Europe, but I'm a realist so I wouldn't be shocked if he's out of the league next year.

As for the topic of the thread, I see trades for draft picks. At least I hope so. Always better to get something than nothing.

BlueNGold
09-27-2006, 09:05 PM
You wanted Pollard gone?

Damn, I'd love to have him back and Mr. Worthless, John Edwards gone.

Pollard makes 7M for a reason. He is a solid NBA center who can rebound, bang, pick up garbage baskets and guard very large players (which is his greatest asset). He could start on many teams in the league. We will regret the fact he is in Cleveland when we face Miami or even worse if we have some injuries....oops, I guess our only other physical center, DH is already injured. In short, Foster and Harrison are not much better...and against some players, not as good as Pollard.

Edwards, however, is lucky to be in the league. He will add nothing but garbage fouls to the stat line.

IndyFan032589
09-27-2006, 10:54 PM
We will regret the fact he is in Cleveland

Hahaha, that my friend is the funniest thing I have ever heard, Pollard is worthless in the NBA, look at his career highs, they are nothing to brag about and even though he sucks at least Edwards is a cool guy, pollard is just dying for attention.

Trader Joe
09-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Hahaha, that my friend is the funniest thing I have ever heard, Pollard is worthless in the NBA, look at his career highs, they are nothing to brag about and even though he sucks at least Edwards is a cool guy, pollard is just dying for attention.

Are you sure you don't have Edwards and Pollard confused???

McKeyFan
09-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Pollard is a great guy.

He's also a solid player, good defender, smart, with savvy Bball IQ.

His only weakness is lack of offense and more recently a bit injury prone.

I always felt good about things when he was on the floor. In fact, I felt like he was a big part of our seven game win streak when JO was out.

I wish we still had him, but for his sake I'm glad he's gone. He didn't seem to be as good a fit here as he was in Sacremento. Not sure how Cleveland will play out for him.

BlueNGold
09-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Pollard is worthless in the NBA

...hmmm are you actually Scot Pollard looking for a compliment?

I know one thing, you are not worthless in the NBA because you guard Shaq far better than any Pacer. Cleveland will benefit from your services at a very critical time of the year...even if for only 10 minutes on the big boy.

imawhat
09-28-2006, 12:40 PM
...hmmm are you actually Scot Pollard looking for a compliment?

I know one thing, you are not worthless in the NBA because you guard Shaq far better than any Pacer. Cleveland will benefit from your services at a very critical time of the year...even if for only 10 minutes on the big boy.

Exactly.