PDA

View Full Version : Blog Rumor: Dunleavy & Pietrus for Gerald Wallace & Ely ? {goldenstateofmind.com}

Frank Slade
09-25-2006, 10:33 AM
GSoM EXCLUSIVE Rumor:
Dunleavy + Pietrus for Gerald Wallace + Ely / Bonzi Signs w/ Bobcats

By Atma Brother ONE
Sun Sep 24, 2006 at 09:17:46 PM EST
Section: Rumors

One of our peoples who is closely connected to the NBA scene dropped us this anonymous tip. The Warriors and Bobcats are working on a deal that would send Mike Dunleavy and Mickael Pietrus to Charlotte in exchange for Gerald Wallace and Melvin Ely. The Bobcats would then also ink Bonzi Wells to a deal. One problem holding up the transaction is that the Phoenix Suns are making a late push for Melvin Ely.

Link (http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/story/2006/9/24/181746/545)

From a Blog source that I have never heard of. Perhaps just trying to get their name out there, who knows.

DrBadd01
09-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Interesting.Who comes out on top if this deal goes through?

Isaac
09-25-2006, 11:13 AM
No WAY do the Bobcats do that deal. I would be completely stunned if they moved Wallace for a price like that. I don't understand why they'd be interested in signing Bonzi in the first place. They've done such a nice job building their team through the draft for the most part and getting a young core. Why bring a guy like Bonzi into that?

wintermute
09-25-2006, 11:39 AM
i don't really know much about the bobcats, but i'll give my 2 cents anyway ;)

bernie bickerstaff's plan all along was to field a team of young players and short contract veterans for the 2 years that the bobcats would be operating below the full cap. this means that they will suck the first few years, which they've accomplished pretty well - though they lost a lot of games, the effort was always there, so they didn't alienate their fanbase.

next year though, the bobcats would have a full cap and hope to entice one or two guys from a promising free agent crop. think orlando at the time they signed grant hill and t-mac.

now, the bobcats could have started that strategy this year (the first year that they will have the full cap) but instead have chosen to keep their cap space in light of the weak free agent market. does this writer think that the bobcats would endanger that cap space now for the likes of mike dunleavy and bonzi wells? when they've passed up ben wallace, peja, and harrington?

if they do, it could only mean that michael jordan is back in win-now mode a la his wizards tenure, but the timing is weird to say the least.

i could see the 'cats signing bonzi, but strictly as a one-year rental only. in which case, bonzi would be better off signing with houston for whatever they would give him.

all in all, this sounds bogus

Slick Pinkham
09-25-2006, 12:01 PM
that would be a steal for the Warriors

Naptown_Seth
09-25-2006, 12:18 PM
A lot of this depends on how you feel about Pietrus and his potential. If you think he's still got a good future, then losing Wallace isn't such a hit, at least if you are singing Bonzi. Pietrus is the hedge against the future that you give up by losing Wallace.

Kind of a an odd trade though if you include the Bonzi signing. Seems like more talent shuffling than solutions, unless CHA thinks Bonzi is a true upgrade on Wallace, and up till now they've been very high on Wallace.

CableKC
09-25-2006, 12:48 PM
The Bobcats have a very solid foundation right now considering what they have built with a very promising young core of Felton/GWallace/Morrison/May/Okafor. They can easily sign a top tier Free Agent next season with the sheer amount of caproom that they have to fill the holes that they have. But breaking that up by trading Wallace ( one of the most underrated players in the league ), possibly taking on Bonzi, Dunleavy ( and his overpaid contract ), Pietrus ( who could easily bolt for FA next season ) and possibly Biedrins ( whose a decent but unprovent prospect ) seems short sighted.

If Jordan is thinking "Win now" with a franchise that is still in its infancy......then Jordan should be fired. I'm not saying that the goal of the GM should always be "Win games"....but there is a certain reality that a Franchise that is relatively young must face....and making moves to try to ensure a serious push towards the playoffs...at this stage of their development...isn't one of them.

Besides.....if the Bobcats are stupid enough to try to move Wallace....then I would hope that they could get far more then DunDun, Pietrus and Biedrins.

rexnom
09-25-2006, 01:35 PM
They might be thinking that they'll lose Wallace after this season so it's better to get something. However, I highly doubt this deal will happen because the Bobcats aren't going to take on MDJ's contract. It would make NO sense. None. As a basketball fan I would officially be baffled if that happened.

CableKC
09-25-2006, 01:57 PM
They might be thinking that they'll lose Wallace after this season so it's better to get something. However, I highly doubt this deal will happen because the Bobcats aren't going to take on MDJ's contract. It would make NO sense. None. As a basketball fan I would officially be baffled if that happened.

I think that MJ is trying to collect players that have played at Duke and NC for the folks in Charlotte so that they can say....."Hey, I remember Dunleavy when he played at Duke University". :laugh:

Anthem
09-25-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't understand this sentence:

One of our peoples who is closely connected to the NBA scene dropped us this anonymous tip.
If the writer knows the tipster well enough to judge his connections, in what way is the tip anonymous?

ajbry
09-25-2006, 02:27 PM
I don't understand why the Bobcats would trade away Gerald...

FrenchConnection
09-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't understand this sentence:

If the writer knows the tipster well enough to judge his connections, in what way is the tip anonymous?

I think that the point is that the source asked to remain anonymous. But it is poorly written.

rel
09-25-2006, 05:17 PM
man...what a horrible trade for the bobcats

i wouldn't trade gerald wallace for any member of the GSW with Richardson as an exception...and still, i'd be iffy

Gerald Wallace = favorite non-pacer player

Anthem
09-25-2006, 07:10 PM
I think that the point is that the source asked to remain anonymous. But it is poorly written.
Yeah, I agree. On both counts.

But I'm not sure how seriously I can take a reporter who doesn't even understand the concept of an anonymous source.

Jermaniac
09-25-2006, 07:54 PM
lmao @ one of our peoples

I'm going to make me a website and post a bunch of BS rumors see if people pick up on it.

spreedom
09-25-2006, 08:12 PM
Honestly, I think Gerald Wallace is one of the 10 best defenders in the league right now (last season he became like the third player EVER to average 2 blocks/2 steals a game after D-Rob and Hakeem). Melvin Ely has looked pretty aloof and unmotivated, but he's still young, and is obviously an incredibly talented player.

Meanwhile.. is Dunleavy even an above-average player? And is Pietrus really going to turn into a second or third option in his career?

To many questions from Charlotte's standpoint; I'd be shocked if this deal goes down.

skyfire
09-25-2006, 10:53 PM
The only way such a deal would even be possible is if the Bobcats knew that Wallace and Ely didn't want to return to the team when their respective contract status was up. But even then you'd think they could do better than Dunleavy and Pietrus. Definately sounds like a made up trade by a GS fan...

RON ARTEST
09-25-2006, 11:08 PM
http://mercextra.com/blogs/kawakami/2006/09/25/dunleavy-and-pietrus-for-ely-and-wallace-sorry-not-going-to-happen

this rumor is a bunch of crap and this article proves it.

Naptown_Seth
09-26-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't think that proves it's crap. One problem with rumors is that from the outside when rumored deals end up crashing it looks a lot like they were BS from the start.

But as Sekou Smith mentioned earlier this year, TONS of legit discussion does get kicked around, deals are put on the table, and lots of other real sources for rumors happen...and then promptly fall apart and die.

Most of us will never know which ones were BS and which ones just fell apart.