PDA

View Full Version : Women's Team USA loses to Russia in WC Semis

skyfire
09-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Russia have defeated the USA by 7 points in their semi final.
The gold medal game is Australia v Russia.
USA V Brazil for the bronze.

Kstat
09-21-2006, 11:16 PM
clearly, our women simply aren't as fundamentally sound as euro women. We're nothing but dunks.

THat's why americans lose, right?

skyfire
09-21-2006, 11:16 PM
link (http://www.theage.com.au/news/basketball/russia-stuns-united-states/2006/09/22/1158431877501.html)

Russia stunned the two-time defending champion United States 75-68 in the semi-finals of the women's world basketball championship and will play Australia in the final.

The Americans' defeat ended their world championship winning streak - dating to the 1994 bronze-medal game - at 26, and snapped their string of victories in the Olympics and worlds at 51.

Australia, bronze medalists in the previous two worlds, advanced to its first final by beating host Brazil 88-76.

Russia took advantage of poor shooting and sloppy ball-handling by the US to take a 58-38 lead after three quarters. The Americans closed to 73-68 with 45 seconds left, but after two missed free throws by Oxana Rakhmatulina with 30 seconds to go, the US took up almost all of the 24-second shot clock and Candace Parker missed a layup with 12 seconds left.

Ilona Korstin made two free throws with 10 seconds to go and No.2-ranked Russia avenged a 90-80 loss to the top-ranked Americans in the first round.

Rakhmatulina had 18 points for Russia, which lost to the US in the last two finals of the worlds.

Diana Taurasi finished with 21 points for the United States, while Tina Thompson had 15 and Parker 13.

For Australia, Penelope Taylor scored 26 points, Belinda Snell 22, and Lauren Jackson 19.

Also, Sandrine Gruda scored 14 points to lead France over European champion Czech Republic 79-78 in overtime after it was 69-69 at the end of regulation; Lithuania's Jurgita Streimikyte netted 23 points in an 80-71 victory over Spain; Vega hit 21 points for Argentina to beat Canada 74-57 and finish ninth; and Cuba's Yakelyn Plutin put in 21 points for a 71-68 victory over China and 11th place.

bulldog
09-21-2006, 11:38 PM
clearly, our women simply aren't as fundamentally sound as euro women. We're nothing but dunks.

**sigh**
No, we lose becuase we aren't so ridiculously superior we can't be beat any given day by other countries, some of whom also field very good teams. Which is what a large number of us have been saying for a long time. Stop focusing on a few loud-mouthed brats just to be petulant and have something to lash out at when we lose.

Kegboy
09-21-2006, 11:49 PM
Lithuania's Jurgita Streimikyte netted 23 points in an 80-71 victory over Spain

:yay2:

Man, if only Cabbage was half as good as Jurgita. :sigh:

Anyway, Australia vs. Russia should be a good game.

grace
09-22-2006, 12:33 AM

Attention PD readers: grace is about to say something nice about Cabbage.

At least Cabbage's shoes stay tied.

(Before anyone asks yes there is a story behind Jurgita and her shoe laces and no I'm not going to tell you.)

By the way, my sig is now again for rent.

Robertmto
09-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Attention PD readers: grace is about to say something nice about Cabbage.

At least Cabbage's shoes stay tied.

(Before anyone asks yes there is a story behind Jurgita and her shoe laces and no I'm not going to tell you.)

By the way, my sig is now again for rent.

how much for the sig?

Beowulfas
09-22-2006, 11:52 AM

Truth hurts sometimes :laugh:
Surely, if USA had best WNBA players, You would have won a gold.
In advance.
Before the tournament :laugh:

_PD_
09-22-2006, 12:28 PM
We obviously would have won if their boyfriends could keep their clothes on.

grace
09-22-2006, 12:29 PM
how much for the sig?

The price is irrelevant because no way in hell am I putting anything to do with the Wizards in my sig.

_PD_
09-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Why don't you just publish your Ignore list in your sig and charge a dollar to anyone wanting to get his name removed?
That's of course depending on whether or not you can read this. :D

grace
09-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Why don't you just publish your Ignore list in your sig and charge a dollar to anyone wanting to get his name removed?
That's of course depending on whether or not you can read this. :D

My ignore list is so big it won't fit in a sig with the limitations that are put on the space allowed.

However, you did give me an idea...

Roy Munson
09-22-2006, 03:08 PM
The U.S. female hoopers need to step up their conditioning and intensity. Those easy four and five furlong workouts aren't getting the job done.

Slick Pinkham
09-22-2006, 05:18 PM
wow.

WOMEN are playing basketball now?

:brick:

;)

Robertmto
09-22-2006, 07:17 PM
The price is irrelevant because no way in hell am I putting anything to do with the Wizards in my sig.

thats discrimination. I'll see you in court.

grace
09-22-2006, 07:54 PM
:irked: Oh goodie. Another frivolous lawsuit. :yes:

vapacersfan
09-22-2006, 08:49 PM
*VA DRUNK*

BOO WIZARDS, YAY REDSKINS, YAY PACERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*VA DONE BEING DRUNK*

Kestas
09-23-2006, 06:05 AM
**sigh**
No, we lose becuase we aren't so ridiculously superior we can't be beat any given day by other countries, some of whom also field very good teams. Which is what a large number of us have been saying for a long time. Stop focusing on a few loud-mouthed brats just to be petulant and have something to lash out at when we lose.

I think this was a shocking loss. it's as if USA men's squad have lost in, I don't know, 1996 Olympics. Women's team USA looked absolutely unbeatable for at least a couple more years. to me at least ;)
it had all the best players WNBA can offer (I think) as there seems to be no such problems as with NBA, where geting all of the best ones is sometimes problematic. when Lithuania played US in the quarterfinals the coefficient for the US win at the bookies here in LTU was set at 1,01 (meaning no chances for LTU whatsoever).

Why do you think USA is losing its positions even faster than anticipated in what was considered as an America owned sports? It would be interesting to read some of your comments.. if you're not into denial, of course ;) also do you think this was just a fluke and USA is still en route to an easy Olympic gold medal? or maybe you would agree that FIBA isn't basketball and it's competitions can not determine who's the best?

or maybe it was just the shaky nature of the Women's game? a few last days in USA bracket brought up some interesting results - logical sequence of wins-losses often looked illogical. even the Russians managed to lose to Czechs and French (and US, btw) before the semis. france, for example, beat both Russia and Czech republic, but lost to Cuba and China..

what's more, Russia beating Australia in the Final is absolutely not a given. lots of overoptimistic fans hoped it will be Australia who will hand US their first loss in 12 years, not Russia. in fact, it will be interesting to see how US reacts against the home team Brasil..

Kestas
09-23-2006, 06:07 AM
:yay2:

Jurgita scored 0 points against USA, while I dont' think Saras has scored less than 20 in any of the three games that LTU played against the US with him on the roster (in 2000 and 2004).

Eindar
09-23-2006, 06:44 AM
I think this was a shocking loss. it's as if USA men's squad have lost in, I don't know, 1996 Olympics. Women's team USA looked absolutely unbeatable for at least a couple more years. to me at least ;)
it had all the best players WNBA can offer (I think) as there seems to be no such problems as with NBA, where geting all of the best ones is sometimes problematic. when Lithuania played US in the quarterfinals the coefficient for the US win at the bookies here in LTU was set at 1,01 (meaning no chances whatsoever).

Why do you think USA is losing its positions even faster than anticipated in what was considered as an America owned sports? It would be interesting to read some of your comments.. if you're not into denial, of course ;) also do you think this was just a fluke and USA is still en route to an easy Olympic gold medal? or maybe you would agree that FIBA isn't basketball and it's competitions can not determine who's the best?

or maybe it was just the shaky nature of the Women's game? a few last days in USA bracket brought up some interesting results - logical sequence of wins-losses often looked illogical. even the Russians managed to lose to Czechs and French (and US, btw) before the semis. france, for example, beat both Russia and Czech republic, but lost to Cuba and China..

what's more, Russia beating Australia in the Final is absolutely not a given. lots of overoptimistic fans hoped it will be Australia who will hand US their first loss in 12 years, not Russia. in fact, it will be interesting to see how US reacts against the home team Brasil..

The only theory I have is that women's basketball is far more predicated on shooting. Without the potential to use raw athleticism and size to will yourself to victory, the only thing left is fundamentals and shooting. I'd say if you have a bad shooting night, it's much more damaging than on the men's side. Also, I'm thinking the US might have overlooked their opponent, and might have played sloppy. Of course, I didn't see the game, but in general, that would be my possible reasons why.

Kegboy
09-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Jurgita scored 0 points against USA, while I dont' think Saras has scored less than 20 in any of the three games that LTU played against the US with him on the roster (in 2000 and 2004).

Uh, okay. I was referring to Jurgita actually being a productive member of an Indiana franchise.

Anthem
09-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I googled and found nothing.

Come, on, spill. You know you want to.

Arcadian
09-23-2006, 12:48 PM
It's a single elimination round I wouldn't put to much stock in a loss. They happen. If we had those in the NBA finals Iverson would have a ring.

Kestas
09-23-2006, 01:29 PM
It's a single elimination round I wouldn't put to much stock in a loss. They happen. If we had those in the NBA finals Iverson would have a ring.

World Championship semifinal is not some game that you can lose on a bad day. if you're better - you will win. in other words, if you win - you are better. that was a turning point and by far not some irrelevant loss.

on the other hand, if you wrote what you wrote a weak ago, everybody on this board would simply laugh at you, as simple as that. the team that you are comparing with Sixers was THE Dream Team of Women basketball just two days ago. no dream teams for US anymore, that's it.

Arcadian
09-23-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm just saying that by the nature of a single elimination game the under dog has a better chance of advancing. I don't mean to take credit away from Russia or to say it wasn't big. However, it is foolish to use one game to come up with theories the team lost and American women's basketball is on the decline.

Kestas
09-23-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm just saying that by the nature of a single elimination game the under dog has a better chance of advancing. I don't mean to take credit away from Russia or to say it wasn't big. However, it is foolish to use one game to come up with theories the team lost and American women's basketball is on the decline.

who talks about theories? I spoke about a fact. I know an extremely moderate American basketball fan, mod of a large basketball forum, the guy who would never ever laugh at the idea of Saras becoming an all star in NBA with ease, and even that guy wrote that there is no chance whatsoever USA will lose a game in this tournament. this is not some freaking league - thisis World Championship. Dream teams do not lose semifinals in the BWC, the system is completely ok. unless these teams are not Dream ones at all, of course ;)

although we should probably be talking about stagnation (not decline), while other nations are improving.

as you may know USA beat Brazil for the bronze (99:59) and Russia lost to Australia (74:91) to finish with silver. Australia finished the tournament with 9:0 record (though they had a technical 2:0 win against LTU, who were late for the tournament - not that I would expect Auzies to lose against us, but still) and are the new kings of the hill (atm), US are third and the play-off system has nothing to do with this.
btw, because of the new Olympic quallifying system Russian win would be much better for European squads, so I'm dissapointed.

Arcadian
09-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Kestas, I have no idea what you are talking about. You are looking for arguments that are not there. Feel free to read whatever you want into the US loss.

grace
09-23-2006, 05:37 PM
I googled and found nothing.

Come, on, spill. You know you want to.

O.K, just because I like your avatar.

Back when Jurgita was in her first stint with the Fever her shoe laces would never stay tied when she was in the game. She was forever stopping to tie her shoes while the rest of the team was going down to the other end of the floor.

After a couple years she took time off to go have a baby. When she came back her laces miraculously stayed tied. I can't confirm it but I think she was using those little bell things that people use on baby shoes so the laces can't be untied.

skyfire
09-24-2006, 08:18 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/09/24/200_opals.jpg

The Aussies finally have a medeal to match their uniforms. Great work Lauren and co!